Injustice45

Oct 29, 2017
Last week, I bought WWE Day of Reckoning 2 for the GameCube. After booting it up and playing a few matches, I was hooked again. This game is so good! It's like the natural progression of No Mercy with some tweaks to it. For one, the pace of the matches can either be really fast or slow and it's dependent on the stamina meter. At first, I wasn't a fan of it, but I realized it adds some extra strategy and planning to your matches. For one, you can't just spam moves and win. You have to manage your stamina, otherwise you'll be exhausted. Another cool thing is that any move, even finishers, can be broken up. So, there's no locked in animations that'll waste time. You can even cancel the taunts when you activate your special/finisher.

Graphically, the game blew me away. I'm amazed that the game is from 2005. The lighting looks great, the character models are impressive, very accurate to their real life counterparts.

SmJ33S7O_ji2K9S-ViQIyP_S2HB0OLPgJL5WIwalV95lvbkUNrTBTgI6jDeP9ICPQ3bnKUx1qp3CsciQElyyNaOU8zr9Uj6eGLZeOrEmmQqUpkfYBhUAlCqOInpS2qnhHNUSfQAxLvbDRJtWOATylsMMaETlhDN6pkU1AO7W7YM_is9SI3XbDrCQnuc
_-WWE-Day-of-Reckoning-2-GameCube-_.jpg
7384nWi.gif

Unlike some other wrestling games that came out in 2005 (*cough* SVR 2006 *cough*), most of the wrestlers actually have entrance gear. Chris Jericho, for example, has his jacket, Carlito has his shirt, Edge has his coat and shades, Christian has his sweat suit, etc. The game runs really well, too. 60FPS for the most part. There is some slowdown, but that's during entrances that are pyro heavy.

There's a good amount of variety for match types, too. Basic singles and tag team matches, to steel cage, hardcore, and Hell in a Cell. I've already had some epic matches in the game already. It took me like five RKOs to put down Taker in a Hell in a Cell match. In another match, it took three chokeslams from Kane to defeat Kurt Angle. If you played or heard about this game, got any memories? Thoughts? Comment away.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I love the counter system on these games. My friend and I would play and counter every single one of our moves.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
If this is the series that continued I would have bought it every year since. The last wrestling game I bought.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: Yuke's headhunted core members of AKI in 2001 to form their GameCube team, which is why the Day of Reckoning series feels like the natural progression of No Mercy.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I replayed it recently at a friends place and a bit last year with my own copy. The stocking of the finisher slots and rapidly hearing the finisher theme kick in after repeatedly chaining them never gets old. It's also surprising how good the game looks still and how good those in game videos look on a CRT.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Day of Reckoning is slightly better. DoR II looks better and the roster is also a tad beefier but DoR I has a better execution on the submission system. You could target specific bodyparts and you would have to tap the buttons repeatedly first but as the opponent gets damaged its easier to get them to submit. DoRII had a strange rock paper scissors thing going on which was kinda RNG against a PC.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Was just talking about how the gamecube wrestling games were really underrated. I think due to Wrestlemania 18 and 19 being kind of spotty (good guts, bad career modes), when they actually nailed it with Day of Reckoning 1 and 2 it was past the point people really cared about the GameCube and the games were sadly really overlooked. The secret best WWE games hiding on a platform everyone ignored, especially the market for WWE games.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played this game because I just assumed all wrestling games around that time were shit. I've heard it said before that this game is like No Mercy. Is it really? Does it have a similar grappling system?

Oct 26, 2017
I think this might have been the first wrestling game(or, at least the first one that I've played) where the story mode actually uses the pro-wrestling vernacular like "jobber" during the story mode, I think Big Show says something to the effect of "You're nothing but an opening match jobber!" to your created character. That threw me for a loop back in the day.

That aside, I really enjoyed this game. I never played DoR2, but the first DoR is a great wrestling game!

Mr. Robot

Oct 30, 2017
They should have taken these games mechanics, rename the series to Smackdown and keep on pumpin out yearly releases, instead they went with the shit PS series mechanics.

A thing they should have kept for the DOR series is the crazy arenas and the silly side story mode of the Wrestlemania 19 game, imagine wrestling with real looking models and these kind of scenarios, which the GC studio at Yukes was going for.

SeveralUnkemptElk-size_restricted.gif

OP
OP
Injustice45

Injustice45

Oct 29, 2017
Gotta give shout outs to Day of Reckoning 1 and WrestleMania XIX. Those were also pretty solid games, too. I really liked the season mode in the former, as you start out in development before going to the main roster. The latter has a pretty good roster plus alternate attires for the wrestlers. I'll also give WrestleMania X8 credit for one thing: it's the only game, bar customization in other games, to have Kane's Survivor Series 2001 gear.