Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
SI_N64_BanjoTooie_image1600w.jpg

A year ago I did a RTTP for Banjo-Kazooie, and said I'd like to try to do one for Tooie at some point. I wasn't really committed to doing another thread as I replayed the game though, and doing one like the first thread where I detailed my experience going through the worlds wouldn't work quite as well due to the constant backtracking. Nevertheless, I finished my replay of Banjo-Tooie, so I figured I might as well share my thoughts on it.

Back when I was a kid, Tooie really seemed like everything a sequel should be. It was one of the few video game sequels to pretty much pick up right where the original left off and expects you to have played the original, up to and including keeping all of the moves from the old game. The worlds were bigger, the scope of the story and setting was massive compared to the original, the worldbuilding and humor expanded further, it really seemed like the perfect sequel.

As the years have gone on though, I found myself more attracted to Kazooie's more focused, linear progression, and less interested in Tooie's labyrinth, interconnected worlds. It's well-known at this point that people felt Rare's later efforts at 3D platforming became bloated, between Tooie and especially DK64, and my last replay of Tooie was a decade ago, where I lost patience about 2/3 of the way in and never finished it. But this time, I really wanted to commit to giving it an honest try, and see if I could rekindle some of those pleasant memories I had of it as a kid.

banjo-tooie-n64-review.jpg

As I said, on paper, Tooie really seems like everything a sequel should be. The worlds are bigger and more complex, some flaws in the first game were addressed (every world gets a proper boss battle and transformation now, Notes stay collected), and much like its big brother series Donkey Kong Country, the sequel was darker, more morbid. Not just in story and tone, but literally - there's a lot of darkness and muddy textures in Tooie, which sometimes can add to the atmosphere, but sometimes makes it genuinely difficult to navigate at times. Certain indoors or underground sections can be easy to get lost in or have a hard time finding the exit because there's a grip grab ledge that isn't flagged well, or there's a hole or wall you can blow up but can't always see. Still, for the most part I think the change in tone helps give the game some edge and character; the first game is mostly a straight forward fairy tale-like adventure with a few winks to the audience and some goofy characters. Tooie has some bite, starting with the death of Bottles and some fairly morbid Jiggy quests, up to and including killing the Ice Cube married couple. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I think we're better off for it than a straightforward retread of the first game's atmosphere and tone. In some ways it's the inverse of the first game; whereas Grunty's Lair was dark, mysterious, and foreboding, it hosted what were for the most part fairly lighthearted and pleasant worlds to explore. The Isle O' Hags is not exactly a pleasant wonderland, but it's overall much less intimidating to explore than Grunty's Lair; but on the other hand, Tooie's worlds are for the most part, more hostile and dark than those of the previous game. The main exception to this is oddly the final "full" world in the game, Cloud Cuckooland, which almost feels like the developers wanting to shock you with something totally zany and magical after some rather dark and grueling worlds. Grunty has also dropped the rhyming and turned into a skeleton, and even kills her own sisters! It's a shame they couldn't do a full world based on Cauldron Keep as they originally planned, as I really enjoy the little snippets we got of it.

As much of a diehard fan I am of the original Banjo-Kazooie, I'm not sure I'd call it a "funny" game. There are some amusing moments, and it's very charming overall, but I don't think of it as a game that is particularly comedic outside of being a well-made Rare platformer. Tooie, on the other hand, embraces the comedy full-on, starting with the intro cut scene as Kazooie tries to cheat in a poker game. There's a lot of scenarios and dialogue that you definitely wouldn't get in most typical 3D platformers, like interacting with the gross food clerks in Witchyworld, aliens crashing their ship and dying, a significant increase of fourth wall jokes (at one point Kazooie acknowledges the boss theme before a boss even appears), and probably the most infamous one, the rock formation in Terrydactyland that is shaped like... well, just click. Not all of the humor has held up (Jolly Roger embraces a few... questionable LGBT stereotypes, as well as the characterization of Wumba), but it's definitely what I would argue the game's strongest and most notable character trait, not just compared to its predecessor, but other 3D platformers. The only other game that would be even more in-your-face with its humor as Conker's Bad Fur Day, to the point of arguably taking priority over the gameplay.

Speaking of gameplay... I think the biggest issue people have with Tooie, myself included, is, ironically, trying to approach it as a direct gameplay successor of Kazooie. On paper, yes, it follows the major trappings of the first game; you collect Jiggies, Notes, and Jinjos spread across multiple worlds as you learn new moves, interact with NPCs, and jump around while solving puzzles. However, Tooie is much more focused on task management than the first game; there are many more Jiggies that require multiple steps compared to the first game, and there is a lot more backtracking involved. Not just between worlds, but between Mumbo and Wumba's huts, and splitting up Banjo and Kazooie. The other big change that I also believe is important in terms of how the player approaches it is most of the worlds need to be "opened up" in one way or another. I think players can get frustrated trying to complete Jiggy tasks going back and forth and having to open up parts of the world in the process; in my replay, I found the best way to mitigate this frustration was to focus first on "opening" up the world before spending too much time looking for Jiggies; get all the Warp Pads activated, make sure all the major sections of the worlds can be accessed, and then you can start running around and completing tasks. It's a significantly more efficient way than just trying to go one Jiggy at a time. For example, you're gonna want to start off Mayahem Temple by summoning that giant gold statue with Mumbo to kick open the doors that lead to the rest of the world, or drive around Witchyworld with the van to drop coins off in all the park areas, so that you can access each of the areas more efficiently to complete tasks. When approaching the worlds with this mindset, I found the game much more enjoyable than my last replay. Even still, some worlds can be a pain with this approach; Grunty's Industries labyrinth design, constant attack drones, and unpleasant visuals rendered it the only world I didn't bother going for 100% on.

banjo-tooiie_a.jpg

The world design is no doubt extremely impressive for how complex and interconnected it all is. It's clear a lot of thought and ambition went into it, and it's even more impressive for an N64 title (which had infamous lag on it, thankfully fixed on the 360 remaster). That said... sometimes there really is too much of a good thing. A lot of the worlds feel like they have dead space for the sake of appearing big, and most of the worlds arbitrary limit themselves to only 5 Warp Pads, meaning even with them in place you'll still find yourself having to retread ground a lot. (Cloud Cuckooland, despite only having 2 Warp Pads, actually manages to feel more traversable than most of the worlds thanks to a rather centralized design focused on a wrap-around mountain and plenty of access to Flight Pads.) And there's no getting around it: the game desperately needs a map. As mentioned, the darker levels can make it difficult to figure out how to navigate them, and maps with clear checkpoints and direction would have helped a lot. Perhaps that would have been a big task for a straightforward remaster, but it would have been nice of the 360 version accommodated the lack of in-game maps in some way - they did add hints for each of the Jiggies, which is nice.

Additionally, although Jamjars works as a replacement and contrast to Bottles, with his amusing rhymes and military man outfit, it's hard to not feel like sometimes the developers were really stretching to come up with new moves at times - the Bill Drill is just an updated Beak Buster, the Springy Step Shoes are a time-limited Shock Spring Jump, and the Sack Pack really only feels different from the Shack Pack because the developers wanted it to be. The Breegull Blaster is a fun idea, but I have never found the FPS sections of the game particularly enjoyable and there's only a few of them throughout regardless.

There's a lot of concepts and characters from the first game that are expanded on significantly - Mumbo, minigames, boss battles, and transformations, to name a few, and their implementation is a mixed bag. Mumbo is essentially a "do whatever the developers need for this world" character device, with little else of interest when playing as him. The minigames are plentiful and while some of them are fun and interesting, it's hard to not feel like after a while you're seeing the "red = 1 point, green = 2 points, blue = 3 points" minigame in different flavors over and over and over. The boss battles are overall quite good and I made a point to battle each one even when I wasn't aiming for 100%; the only one I felt was particularly poorly designed was Lord Woo Fak Fak as trying to navigate the primitive 3D swimming controls while aiming underwater is actively unfun, even with the submarine transformation. Speaking of, each world getting its own transformation is a nice step up from Kazooie. While Kazooie's transformations for the most part were simply functions of needing a small character to access holes and tight squeezes, the transformations in Tooie are more varied, and most of them have the ability to engage in combat. They even brought the bee back and gave it a stinger attack! I don't think they're all hits - the washing machine is particularly frustrating in its limited movement and weak attacks, and the detonator really doesn't do anything interesting but clear access to some pathways - but I appreciate their inclusion and implementation for the most part.

banjo-tooie-witchyworld.jpg

Oddly enough, when replaying Banjo-Tooie, I recalled Super Mario Odyssey, and found myself appreciating what that game accomplished quite a bit. Odyssey takes a similar idea as Tooie - big worlds with warps, changing scenery, and interconnected pathways - but manages to make it feel so much less intimidating and easier to navigate. The in-game map naturally helps with that, as well as the more liberal use of checkpoints (and quick travel to boot). While it would be unfair to ask a 2000 N64 game to be as fleshed out and technically proficient as a 2017 Switch game, it's hard to not feel like Odyssey took inspiration from the Banjo series and also addressed some of their shortcomings. If there was ever a true follow-up to Tooie, I would 100% want them to look at Mario Odyssey for inspiration, just as they did with the original Mario 64 all those years ago.

While I certainly have my issues with Banjo-Tooie all in all, I do feel if approached with the right mindset (and maybe a Google search bar by your side just in case), it can be enjoyed for what it is quite nicely. Its biggest problem will always be being in the shadow of its more focused, more revered predecessor; if I was to consider Banjo-Kazooie a 10/10, Tooie is likely more of an 8 or 8.5; a flawed, but entertaining and highly ambitious game, showing that Rare could still put out some really solid titles even after its perceived honeymoon. I'd go as far to say it's their last genuinely great game released on a Nintendo console.

I won't bother with a world ranking this time around as I didn't play for 100% (Grunty's Industries saw to that), but I will say, I think came away feeling Hailfire Peaks was my favorite. The central concept is a lot of fun, and knowing the Fire Side is based on the beta Mount Fire Eyes from the original game adds to my appreciation of it considerably (with a Gobi appearance to boot). They did a good job contrasting the Ice Side to Freezeezy Peak as well; it's not a fun winter wonderland, but a harsh, bleak tundra with a massive oil rig polluting the environment. Put the two together and you have what I would consider the most memorable level in the game. While I love the concept and layout of Cloud Cuckooland, but I do wish the scenarios were more interesting; it relies heavily on minigames and ignores its weird and wacky design.

Warts and all, that's Banjo-Tooie. I'm glad I gave it another chance because it's definitely better than I last gave it credit for. It's been a bit over 20 years, and I'd still like to see a sequel someday, regardless of whether or not it actually comes.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, for me Tooie was definitely just too(ie) much of basically everything.

Added so many new moves, most of which are barely used. Made it so I needed to use a guide fairly often because I didn't know what moves would interact with what. I remember once there was a fence I couldn't get past and I assumed it was just an barrier you had to find a way around. Turns out if you used a grenade egg it would knock the fence over.
I also hated that to learn as a move that only Banjo OR Kazooie could do, you needed to be split up when you find the mole hill. So you'll find a molehill as Banjo+Kazooie but need to backtrack to a splitup pad and try to remember where that molehill was.

And the levels are way too big. I think even the devs knew that because they put in teleport pads to get around the environments easier. It's not even super fun to explore, since a lot of the levels are just long stretches of walking to get to things.
And there were so many rooms or seperate sections to the levels it made it hard for me to figure out where things are in.

You mention Mario Odyssey too, and I felt like that game was one of the best spiritual successors to the first Banjo Kazooie with the open levels (not needing to exit the level between collectibles), the hat transformations were a lot like Mumbo's, and a lot of the levels were that sweet spot of not too big and not too small.

Yooka Laylee was ALMOST what I wanted, but the levels in that game also ended up feeling a bit too large. I wish they hadn't done the "expand the levels" mechanic and had instead put in a few more unique levels.

Last edited:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I like Tooie more than Kazooie. Yeah it had a lot to do, but i enjoyed it.
I also like Grunty Industries. Don't @ me

Jan 4, 2018
Great OP.

I think there are 2 concepts to describe Banjo-Tooie, depending of the people:
- endless ambition
- megalomania

I think Banjo-Kazooie is superior and certainly more accessible and less complex but I also think that Banjo-Tooie is one of the most ambitious games of its generation and is still an excellent game is you love interconnected worlds with stories, puzzles, exploration, mini-games and platforming.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Sounds terrifying. I was completely burnt out of Banjo 1 by Tick Tock Woods. Cant imagine ill ever start the 2nd game.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Tooie is just too big for its own good. All of my major issues with the game stem from that core aim of make it "bigger and better" than Kazooie; they at least accomplished the former, but not the latter in opinion. I'd say Donkey Kong 64 suffers from that ideology more than Tooie does, but that's for another time.

It's a fine game, and an even finer sequel (on paper), but it can't hold a candle to the original for me. Banjo-Kazooie and Super Mario 64 are games I can jump back into at any point, at any level of progress on a save file, and get back into the swing of things without difficulty. Starting a new playthrough of B-K is quick, in part thanks to the option to skip the tutorial, letting you quickly pick up the Extra Honeycomb Pieces in Spiral Mountain before heading into Grunty's Lair, and Mumbo's Mountain soon afterwards. Tooie's opening sets the mood well for a game that overall feels slower paced than its predecessor, considering how long it takes for you to get into Mayahem Temple. Picking up where Click Clock Wood left off in terms of world size is a self-inflicted shot in the foot, and leaves the start of the game feeling a little overbearing. So much to do, and with interconnected worlds you'll be forced to come back at some point too. You can't just clear out a world entirely the first time you visit them in Tooie, making picking up a playthrough after even a few day break much more of a nightmare than it is in Tooie's predecessors.

There's a lot Tooie does right, but there are also plenty of misteps made in the path they took to create the large ambitious game they pictured.

Last edited:

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a child I loved it more then Banjo-Kazooie because I could finish it and it felt cooler.
After the xbox ports I realised how bloated it was and I started to love Banjo-Kazooie way more. But it is still a good game!

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
It was too big, too empty, too complex, less charming and less interesting than the first. I was very disappointed by this game and I never finished it.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Rare spend so much of this game ripping into their own formula, I imagine they were pretty tapped out of the collectathon approach while simultaneously giving it a massive sendoff.

If Tooie has one major flaw to me (outside the constant red/green/blue minigames) it's not so much that the game is simply too big, it's that it arguably walks back a bit too much on DK64's most common pitfall and you end up with bigger and more confusingly complex worlds than that game ever had with less breadcrumb trails and rewards. Sometimes the amount of steps for a single jiggy are mammoth, meanwhile the game's psuedo metroidvania stylings runs into some tedious gating points often involving Mumbo and transformations.

Outside of this I actually found myself surprised by how much I still enjoyed it when I last played it, the same complexities that work against it can also work for it, the level design and exploration can truly go places. It'll never match the tight and well paced design of BK, but it's a sequel I'm glad exists.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I remember once there was a fence I couldn't get past and I assumed it was just an barrier you had to find a way around. Turns out if you used a grenade egg it would knock the fence over.

oh man, even having played the game multiple times before, I still got fucked up by this part on this replay. Just really poor signposting overall; they don't do a good job telling the player what you can hit with a Grenade Egg.

Starting a new playthrough of B-K is quick, in part thanks to the option to skip the tutorial and quickly pick up the Extra Honeycomb Pieces in Spiral Mountain before heading into Grunty's Lair, and Mumbo's Mountain soon afterwards. Tooie's opening sets the mood well for a game that overall feels slower paced than its predecessor, considering how long it takes for you to get into Mayahem Temple.

I definitely should've mentioned this in the OP; if you watch all the cutscenes, it can take the player up to an hour to start Mayahem Temple. It's kind of crazy how long the prologue is.

It'll never match the tight and well paced design of BK, but it's a sequel I'm glad exists.

That sums up pretty well how I feel. The Banjo duology is a cornerstone of the N64 library as far as I'm concerned.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Random thought: some poor bastards faced Lord Woo Fak Fak using first person egg aiming when you can use Submarine Banjo instead.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This and DK64 were improved significantly by having the guide on hand.

This really felt like the last generation where games were designed to sell player guides, lol. I loved player guides as a kid and read them frequently, so I always had them on hand playing these kinds of games. Only as an adult I question how I tolerated games like DK64 as a kid (which maybe I'm due for a replay on... maybe).

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the complains about this and Donkey Kong 64, blow my mind as a middle class third world country kid during this era.

like, we loved the fact that Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo Tooie where so big so long, so much content, we didnt play or buy a game on a wimp, these were fucking expensive.

we were delighted to know how many thingies were to collect on DK64 and in fact we collected them all, it was a freaking badge of honor.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought Soul Reaver and Banjo Tooie were incredibly ambitious games that did amazing things on the hardware they were put out on.

But the gameplay was lacking in both of them. After a certain point both games felt like a chore to play. I never felt that with BK.

Deleted member 70647

User requested account closure
Banned
May 31, 2020
I love this game so much :) love how creative the world themes are, the new characters, the story, the music, the vibe, it's all great for me

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
the complains about this and Donkey Kong 64, blow my mind as a middle class third world country kid during this era.

like, we loved the fact that Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo Tooie where so big so long, so much content, we didnt play or buy a game on a wimp, these were fucking expensive.

we were delighted to know how many thingies were to collect on DK64 and in fact we collected them all, it was a freaking badge of honor.
Same. I played DK64 multiple times after months of painstakingly saving money for it when I was 15. Couldn't get enough.

Was completely stunned by Tooie when it came out. These kind of long exploration/collectathon games were, and still are, my favorite. It's a shame they practically vanished. 😕

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I like Tooie more than Kazooie. Yeah it had a lot to do, but i enjoyed it.
I also like Grunty Industries. Don't @ me
I gotta @ you just because I agree with every word you said.

I think there are 2 concepts to describe Banjo-Tooie, depending of the people:
- endless ambition
- megalomania
Exactly, and this is why BT is my favorite 3D platformer of all time (BK is a close second!). I always tended to be very forgiving with ambitious games (no wonder DW9 is my favorite dynasty warriors since 5), especially when they give me something that I never experienced before. The concept of connected worlds in BT broke my mind, and there was so much to do and discover that I couldn't believe it.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This, Conker and DK64 especially damaged my love for this genre. It wouldn't be until 2002 with Sunshine that I finally played something again from it that I enjoyed. Tooie was a massive disappointment after the pretty great Kazooie and I couldn't really imagine myself ever replaying it. The mechanics are bad, the game is slow and bloated and just everything on a structural level just doesn't work for me.
It is a sequel that is inferior to the original in just about everything.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could go back and play it at launch. BK is a top ten game for me, easy. But I first played Tooie 5+ years after release and found it awful, despite going back and finishing BK every few years because it is so perfect. Getting to a new level only to find you only had the abilities to complete 15% of it ruined it for me.

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
I finished it to 100% for the first time last year. It has not aged well, and it's not a good video game. Hailfire Peaks was fun, though.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Maybe it's because you didn't have to constantly switch Kongs, but I never felt this was as bloated as DK64.

I also loved the interconnected worlds as a kid; the idea of having to solve problems by jumping between worlds was a cool feature that made the game feel more organic.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I've 100%ed this game so many times now, as recently as last year. Dunno why, I just had an itch to play Tooie for some reason. The Xbox 360 version is of course the best way to play this game (now in 4K resolution!), but it's still a fun game no matter where you play it. You'll definitely get a LOT of content for your money. I really loved how all of the worlds were interconnected as well. However, I will admit, it does get tiresome around Grunty Industries and Terrydactyland.

I was very disappointed about Stop 'n Swop being cut since it was hyped from the first game, but I think we all just liked the mystery and journey of it all instead of whatever rewards we got.

Also, for those that are stuck on the Canary Mary jiggy and Cheato page in Cloud Cuckooland, here's some advice: press X (or B on N64) rapidly on your controller but make sure to PAUSE the game when you feel tired or pain. Then unpause and continue rapidly pressing X (or B). Repeat until done. It might take a couple of tries but it works and pausing the game helps so much.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really love Tooie. The way the stages are laid out, the NPCs, the majority of the Jiggies and pages are fun to get 9of course there are a few duds though like Canary Mary in Cloud Cuckooland and the timed FPS segments), I find all the worlds minus Terrydactyland a joy to explore, and I find the bosses fun to fight.

I totally get why some people that like the first game don't like Tooie though. B-K is a straight up platformer. B-T is more of an adventure game with heavy platforming elements.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
I never played it tbh. I really just never got around to it. I loved the first game and wanted to see the secrets revealed in the next game but for some reason I didn't have the desire to play and as time wore on this didn't change. Nuts and Bolts was a great entry and to me a good "sequel" but that's about as far as my playtime with Banjo went. Great first game, never played the second, pretty innovative 3rd game and that's about it. I really don't need to see another entry in the series. I've had my fun and I can move on. It's probably why I didn't really get into Yooka-Laylee.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I vastly prefer Banjo-Kazooie for its worlds that are just the right size. It's such a spectacular game.

Tooie was overwhelming and a slog to navigate far too often.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tooie sure was a great looking game for the N64. It's almost approaching an early gen PS2 or Gamecube game in terms of visuals.

May 25, 2019
London
Yeah the OP is spot on. Banjo Tooie tries to go bigger and bolder but it ends up diluting the joy. Some of the early worlds are fun but I think by the time you get past Witchyworld the game starts ratcheting up the backtracking to insane degrees. Terrydactyland is so bad it will want you to put the game down. Opening the way for the train to reach different levels, ferrying NPCs around, splitting up Banjo and Kazooie, etc. It was just wasn't fun to control Banjo by himself, he was slow so it took forever to get anywhere and his attacks sucked.

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
I've been playing Tooie lately and I echo your thoughts to a tee.

The game is far more ambitious than it needed to be (would anyone have batted their eyes at a modestly updated sequel?). The first world is great evidence of this, especially when compared to Mumbo's Mountain in Banjo-Kazooie. That stage featured a lot of collectibles that you earned by doing your basic moves in a certain sequence; Mayahem Temple featured collectibles that required you to play kickball, complete a first-person shooter maze, travel to the game's fifth world to snag treasure from an NPC, travel to the game's second world to learn a new move, play as a second character to activate a third playable character that you use to smash open a handful of doors. That's just the first level!

My playthrough has stalled out at Grunty's Industries for now. There's something to be said for making all of the collectibles so interconnected that each world takes you a couple of hours to complete, but I feel like Grunty Industries takes this a tad too far. I played for an entire hour and a half and had nothing to show for it after all that time because every single Jiggy required an elaborate series of steps before I could even think about grabbing it.

I appreciate it. I love it for its ambition. I applaud its willingness to pick up exactly where its predecessor left off. I don't really want to play it, though.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I've been playing Tooie lately and I echo your thoughts to a tee.

The game is far more ambitious than it needed to be (would anyone have batted their eyes at a modestly updated sequel?). The first world is great evidence of this, especially when compared to Mumbo's Mountain in Banjo-Kazooie. That stage featured a lot of collectibles that you earned by doing your basic moves in a certain sequence; Mayahem Temple featured collectibles that required you to play kickball, complete a first-person shooter maze, travel to the game's fifth world to snag treasure from an NPC, travel to the game's second world to learn a new move, play as a second character to activate a third playable character that you use to smash open a handful of doors. That's just the first level!

My playthrough has stalled out at Grunty's Industries for now. There's something to be said for making all of the collectibles so interconnected that each world takes you a couple of hours to complete, but I feel like Grunty Industries takes this a tad too far. I played for an entire hour and a half and had nothing to show for it after all that time because every single Jiggy required an elaborate series of steps before I could even think about grabbing it.

I appreciate it. I love it for its ambition. I applaud its willingness to pick up exactly where its predecessor left off. I don't really want to play it, though.

Grunty's Industries is a level where I just grabbed all the moves, did a few Jiggies (including the boss), and left it at that. It took me the better part of an hour to open up the higher levels of the factory, and there was still a lot I didn't access, and just didn't care to.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
One design element they changed from the first game that I'll never understand: Notes used to guide a player around a level. Treble clefs and note nests could have been utilized better, but instead kill that concept altogether.