kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
variety.com

Roy Wood Jr. Exits ‘Daily Show’ as Search for Host Continues

Roy Wood Jr. will exit The Daily Show as it continues to search for a host to replace Trevor Noah

NPR: Roy Wood Jr. says he's leaving 'The Daily Show' but he doesn't hold a grudge

Comic Roy Wood Jr. says he will not return to his position as a correspondent on Comedy Central's The Daily Show when the show resumes new episodes later this month, ending a job he first started eight years ago.

The reason: Since he hasn't been offered the job as permanent host of the show, Wood wants some time to figure out his next act.

"I can't come up with what Plan B is while still working with Plan A," says Wood, who has decided he doesn't want to be on The Daily Show as a correspondent waiting for someone else to take the top job. "The job of correspondent...it's not really one where you can juggle multiple things. [And] I think eight years is a good run."

When asked about Wood's departure and the issues surrounding his decision, a spokesperson for The Daily Show sent a brief statement: "Roy Wood Jr. is a comedic genius and beloved teammate. His insights and hilarity helped us make sense of the 2016 election, the pandemic, and countless hours of Fox News. We thank him for his time with us and can't wait to see what he does next."

Wood says he doesn't know if his name is under consideration for the top job and he has already informed Comedy Central of his intention not to return. ("What could they really say?" he adds when asked how the cable channel responded. [They're] not going to give me the job just to keep me.") But if Comedy Central offered him the permanent host job now, the comic says he would still consider it.

Variety broke news in August that Minhaj, who guest hosted the show the week of Feb. 27, was a leading candidate for the job, according to several unnamed sources. Other comics who had guest hosted the show, like Chelsea Handler and Sarah Silverman, were also rumored to be in contention.

But Variety reported last month that Comedy Central "is going back to square one" in its search for a permanent host after The New Yorker published a story revealing Minhaj had fabricated and exaggerated autobiographical stories in his standup specials, including incidents involving islamophobia

Wood says the Variety story about Minhaj — which Comedy Central has not publicly confirmed — made him think more about his future on the show. And he still thinks Minhaj is a strong candidate for the job, despite the New Yorker story.

He stresses that he doesn't hold a grudge against Comedy Central, which he credits for working with him on several non-Daily Show projects, including the standup specials, two podcasts, a filmed pilot for a TV series that never aired and three scripts they bought but never produced.

But late night TV has seen a recent exodus of non-white stars — from Desus and Mero and Ziwe to Trevor Noah himself. And Wood remains concerned that, as the genre contracts, people of color are stuck in a "last hired, first fired" position.

"I don't believe diversity to be the paramount priority [anymore]," Wood says.

Last edited:

Real

Oct 28, 2017
that's a hot mess. He'd be an incredible main host for the show.

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
just about the easiest decision in the world for host and they fumbled it

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Same as with Bee, it was very insulting how some correspondents were ignored for opportunities after staying on for years.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Good for Roy, Daily Show lost a huge part of why I still watched them so much over the years. RIP CP Time his segments during Black History Month were so well done.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They should have gave him the job, obviously. This move makes sense for him though. Interested to see what he does next or where he ends up.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Could have seen this coming but it's still unfortunate to see. Would have been a great host or even joint host with somebody else. Hope he moves onto something else quickly.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
So many of us were waiting for them to give him the job, and he was waiting for it too. He said in public quite a few times that he wants it, so this isn't too much of a surprise.

A lot of of us were going "what the fuck is wrong with them not giving this to Roy" and I think he also was thinking that as well, there's obviously something keeping them from giving him the job and honestly it kind of makes me not want to watch TDS anymore unless I hear a good reason.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Good. His star has been slowly rising in the background and if he feels weird about the process (looks like producers haven't really sat him down to at least keep him before this, which seems ridiculous and on brand for this shitshow of a transition) then bounce like everyone who's boss undervalues them.

Test Tube

Oct 25, 2017
Same as with Bee, it was very insulting how some correspondents were ignored for opportunities after staying on for years.
Agreed. Even though I loved her show on TBS and appreciated what Trevor Noah did for his stint, I really feel like giving the show to Bee when Jon left would have made a perfect transition.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Dude should have immediately been chosen to be the new host when Hasan Minhaj was out of the running.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a good move. Even if he was offered the show it's not really his own thing and he can do so much more.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Comedy Central has really screwed this up. TDS isn't Jeopardy that people are so used to watching that they'll tune in no matter what. It's a show that relies on the personality of the host. Sure, there have been some short term bumps when a popular guest host is in, but the longer this gets drawn out without SOMEBODY getting the job full time the less the show has any real identity. And now they're losing our on amazing talent like Roy because it's taking so long.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
If Comedy Central still ends up giving the hosting gig to Hasan Minhaj, then I guess I'm not watching the Daily Show anymore. He and Roy were my top 2 picks for the job, but Minhaj lost all credibility with me after that New Yorker article.

Roy deserves all the success in the world. His stand up is hilarious and underrated.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't blame him. He's good enough he could anchor his own show, and if they don't wanna give it to him after he's expressed interest, he's right there, and he's perfect for it, then its their loss. Good on him.

Vomiaouaf

Oct 27, 2017

They unfortunately focus group & survey the hell out of those decisions. And in this case, once they unofficially offered the job to Minhaj (before the New Yorker story kneecapped him), Roy had zero reasons to stick around. He's talented enough to get his own show. Hope he lands somewhere where he can have more room to shine.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Roy should do his own daily show and with blackjack -- he can carry and comedy central has been pretty damn bad with host searches

Trigger