• If you have been following the news, you should be aware that the people of Lebanon have been under a violent bombardment that has recently escalated. Please consider donating to help them if you can or trying to spread word of the fundraiser.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.pcgamer.com/robot-cache-...-that-will-let-you-buy-and-sell-games-online/
InXile Entertainment CEO Brian Fargo has unveiled a new, blockchain-based digital distribution platform called Robot Cache that will enable gamers to buy games, just as they do on any other platform, and then resell them when they're finished. Robot Cache will also have its own cryptocurrency called Iron, earned through mining or game resales, that can be used for games purchases or cashed out.
"Just a handful of companies dominate the multi-billion dollar digital download PC video games market," Robot Cache CEO Lee Jacobson said. "Robot Cache plans to revolutionize the industry by launching the first-ever workable decentralized video game marketplace that benefits both the creators of video games and gamers. All of this is accomplished by expertly leveraging the power, flexibility, safety, and transparency of blockchain technology."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-storefront-that-will-let-you-sell-your-games
Crucially too, Robot Cache says that publishers will receive 70 per cent of the resale proceeds, while players receive a 25 per cent cut of the revenue. That big caveat, however, is that a reseller's payment comes in the form of IRON - Robot Cache's new cryptocurrency. This can then be used to purchase new games.
IRON appears to be central to Robot Cache's economy, and users can earn additional IRON by opting in to "mine" more cryptocurrency. There's a lot more information about IRON over on its official website, if you have a decent grasp on that kind of thing.

This Ars Technica article offers some additional thoughts and concerns.
Why would a publisher allow low-priced "used" sales to compete with its own planned discounts on identical "new" copies, which can be generated at will with little overhead at whatever price the publisher wants?
But if the value of IRON in real-world currencies ends up being as volatile as it has been for other cryptocurrencies, the price of Robot Cache games that are denominated in IRON could fluctuate wildly over the course of a single day.
And unlike other cryptocurrencies, which allow for much broader uses, IRON as a currency is being created solely to power a single video game marketplace. Thus, in the end, the real value of IRON will depend largely on how much people want to buy games that are on the Robot Cache platform.

Last edited:

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what to think. If people buy a lot of resold games woint it hurt devss? Also, there are some big names involve din the project, like Atari Inc Founder, but i ddont knowif crypto currency is reliable.

Oct 27, 2017
We already have a de-centralized digital platform, it is called torrents.

For real, it sounds like a low-value storefront with gimmicks. GMG did something similar 5 years ago, I don't think that it was either successful or popular. The entire concept of selling digital games back is bullshit, it is a simple deactivation for the small return of the purchase price. If you want to provide any real benefit to the users, just cut the initial cost by 25% while still maintaining the Steam's refund policy for broken/unplayable/unwanted games. We have retail/grey-market Steam keys which already carry 25-40% discounts on day 1, why even bother complaining about Steam's monopoly when you cannot offer a better value for consumers.

The part where publishers "set" the resale price is bullshit. They already give only 25% of currency back, any type of price reduction or quantities would decimate the resale value to peanuts.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Crypto-Era will pump and hold this

You know when a single line sense your mind off in a random direction?

Well...

Here comes the Robot Cache
With its crypto-cash
Hear us mining
The data's on the way
It gets here today
Hear us mining
Listen to the whirring of the GPU
Generating currency for me and you
Heatsink venting while the miners mine,
Hear me mine

Crypto hustle
Graphics muscle
Pumping IRON
Trying to build my money
Don't wanna fall behind
Power draining
No complaining
Pumping IRON
I'm a crypto miner
Hey I'm mining, Mmm I'm mining, Well I'm mining,
I'm pumping IRON.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know I've been waiting for Steam to come up with a way to resell our games so I can dump all the trash, but I oppose anything that involves cryptocurrency. It's done enough damage to the PC market.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
That's novel at least. The publishers getting most of the proceeds is something that doesn't really exist in a resale market right now.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We already have a de-centralized digital platform, it is called torrents.

For real, it sounds like a low-value storefront with gimmicks. GMG did something similar 5 years ago, I don't think that it was either successful or popular. The entire concept of selling digital games back is bullshit, it is a simple deactivation for the small return of the purchase price. If you want to provide any real benefit to the users, just cut the initial cost by 25% while still maintaining the Steam's refund policy for broken/unplayable/unwanted games. We have retail/grey-market Steam keys which already carry 25-40% discounts on day 1, why even bother complaining about Steam's monopoly when you cannot offer a better value for consumers.

The part where publishers "set" the resale price is bullshit. They already give only 25% of currency back, any type of price reduction or quantities would decimate the resale value to peanuts.

So...you don't like options? I like the idea of selling or trading in my digital games because who else is doing it? Consumers will continue to be saavy and look for the best prices, I don't see a problem having another digital alternative.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's another bloody initial coin offering. Putting aside the fact that "trading in your digital games for store credit" was the initial USP of Green Man Gaming (which nobody cared for due to requiring a DRM laden client and having pitiful trade in prices for everything, two issues I don't think Robot Cache solves), the sheer fact that it's an ICO is a massive red flag. There's yet to be an ICO that isn't blatantly fleecing dumbasses, promising the moon on a stick with zero indication on how they're going to get to putting sticks on the moon. This is no exception.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't heard a lot about this lately, but I just got an invite.

YOU'RE IN EARLY ACCESS

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to click the button below to complete your account and start caching. You're now a Founder of the world's
first videogame marketplace to Play, Mine and Sell!

Thanks for joining our movement and we hope you find a thriving community waiting to play with you!

Remember your exclusive Founder's Badge is waiting for you along with a Power mining boost. And if you're interested in free stuff and want to make your
friends jelly, there's a recruitment program where you can earn free IRON for recruiting your friends.

The Future is Now. Cache In.

About Robot Cache

Robot Cache is a victory for both PC gamers and game developers/publishers. Our platform was developed by industry veterans who understand the dynamics of what
is needed to be successful and have the relationships necessary to deliver the hottest games from the world's best publishers.

Need Help? - Contact our support team online at https://help.robotcache.com

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Its an inceredible feeling buying games digitally and being able to resell them :)

I only did it with one indie game but can imagine myself buying bigger titles later only on robotcache.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Interesting to see this continue under MS. Wonder if it'll be integrated into the Xbox Game Store in future.

Daniagatha

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2018
Brazil
Don't know if it's okay to ressurrect this post but I just got an email from AMD talking about this:

yFMlqLg.png