Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
So she followed the trajectory of an increasing number of white-collar women. Sales of women's backpacks are up by 28 percent in the past year, even though men's backpacks are down. Women's handbags, too, have suffered a drop over the past few years. Farrar went to Amazon.com and bought a backpack. She now wears it to the office every day.

Of course, some women, such as students and exterminators, have always had to shlep pounds of gear on their back. But I'm talking about the Ann Taylor–wearing, brown-bag-lunching, nude-heel crew. Many of them have started carrying backpacks too.

The rise of the lady backpack is mostly being driven by women in cities, especially in New York, Los Angeles, and Dallas, Goldstein says. The impetus is roughly the same as the one behind the rise of athleisure and sneakers as officewear: comfort. Women have stopped accepting that beauty has to be pain. "It's the convenience, the hands free, and not hurting your shoulders. Not worrying about dropping your phone."

Some say they've only gotten positive reactions from peers and supervisors, but others have not been so lucky. The less enlightened around them—who have apparently never experienced the torment of a physical therapist trying to "work out" a knot on their purse-bearing shoulder—have mocked their age or lack of professionalism.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/05/professional-women-are-wearing-backpacks/588619/

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Laura Wolf, who works at the Department of Health and Human Services in Washington, D.C., says several men have made jokes about whether she's off to a camping trip. "It's ridiculous to me because many men use full-sized backpacks that could actually hold camping gear," she wrote to me. Terese Souders told me she was asked by a co-worker if she was Dora the Explorer, patron saint of lady backpackers.

Wow

Oct 28, 2017
As a guy, I've always been mad confused by purses, high heels and other impractical "female" things like lack of pockets on clothing. Almost a bit of a cringe to say it but it all feels like female designed items are built to oppress, rather than to facilitate ease of use.

I just can't imagine having to run about with my hands full of some dumb bag when I could just wear it on my back, or on a strap.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Backpacks for everyone. They hold plenty and are easier to carry around.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I use a mini backpack any time I go abroad or on a day trip and it's the best. Forget the haters, us girls know what we're doing and sure as shit don't need approval.

They make these pretty chic now too. ❤️

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
How is this new? Women have been using backpacks as purses for ages.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
As a guy, I've always been mad confused by purses, high heels and other impractical "female" things like lack of pockets on clothing. Almost a bit of a cringe to say it but it all feels like female designed items are built to oppress, rather than to facilitate ease of use.
Purses can be practical though. You probably arent gonna be carrying a backpack into a movie theatre, restaurant, concert, bar etc.
People might think you're carrying a bomb.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Speaking from the perspective of someone who rides busy public transport a lot: backpacks are one of the top 10 worst inventions. If you wear it, I automatically hate you.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My wife changed jobs and now works downtown. Her previous office was closer and she had a parking spot so she drove. Never was able to work from home so didn't really need to bring anything back and forth.

She has no parking downtown, and while it is a 20 mile commute it would take her an hour and a half, or more, each way. So she takes the train. She also gets to work from home once or twice a week, does some work at home in the evenings, meaning she has to carry a laptop and notebooks back and forth.

So she is ditching her purse for a backpack. It makes the most sense for her. She originally thought about a laptop sleeve but to her it is basically a fashion item with absolutely zero utility.

Jul 18, 2018
Idk how you all do backpacks in the summer. I tried during vacation and I sweat so much wearing one. I must not have gotten the right backpack

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've definitely noticed more people with backpacks going to work than before. Especially those with ridiculously packed ones that bump into you or push against you on a packed train or bus.

Backpacks are great if you don't sweat more than the average. Summer is hell.

As someone who doesn't sweat more than the average, how do backpacks make it worse for those who do? Back sweat or something?

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Its called a grip where Im from. And wtf...a backpack is a damn backpack. Its not a damn gender specific idea. How idiotic...

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
As someone who doesn't sweat more than the average, how do backpacks make it worse for those who do? Back sweat or something?

My back is wet all the time if I wear a backpack. It's the worst when I'm commuting and have to enter an airconditioned room afterwards. I usually carry a spare shirt with me.

I guess I'll have to check out if there's something wrong. I'm a pretty normal in-shape dude, not overweight or anything yet I sweat like a pig sometimes.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk how you all do backpacks in the summer. I tried during vacation and I sweat so much wearing one. I must not have gotten the right backpack
A lot of higer end backpacks have a net back
DeuterRaceAirLite2.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
My back is wet all the time if I wear a backpack. It's the worst when I'm commuting and have to enter an airconditioned room afterwards. I usually carry a spare shirt with me.

I guess I'll have to check out if there's something wrong. I'm a pretty normal in-shape dude, not overweight or anything yet I sweat like a pig sometimes.

It could be the bag or the clothing fabric. Even in the summer when I'm walking around I don't get sweat directly on my back unless I'm riding a bike. Higher quality back packs usually address by putting more breathable designs & material on the straps & back

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait till great pocket revolution.

I hope so. Did you know most women's dress pants don't have pockets? I also have a bunch of business casual pants that have pockets that are so small that they might as well have not bothered. Lot's of our suit jackets have fake pockets too - just decorative. Everything about women's clothes sucks.
I've carried a backpack or messenger bag for years because I hate purses and someone decided we didn't need pockets.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I hope so. Did you know most women's dress pants don't have pockets? I also have a bunch of business casual pants that have pockets that are so small that they might as well have not bothered. Lot's of our suit jackets have fake pockets too - just decorative. Everything about women's clothes sucks.
I've carried a backpack or messenger bag for years because I hate purses and someone decided we didn't need pockets.
...that's what I was referring to.

Cool kids sew their own pockets on skirts though.

OP
OP
Piecake

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017

What's the rationale for women's clothes not having pockets or functional pockets? Style or something?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Agreed that it makes little sense to not include pockets, or at least functional pockets in clothing. I'm a guy who loves cramming as much crap into my pockets as I can and I have to roll my eyes every time I'm with my friend who always wears pants either with no pockets, or very shallow pockets so his wallet and whatnot keeps falling out.

On a funny sidenote, the subject made me think of Star Trek Deep Space Nine talking about Ferengi women and how pockets, in part, would help expand their planets workforce:

"By the late 24th century, females made up 53.5% of the Ferengi population and some Ferengi began to realize that exclusion of females from business represented a significant loss of profit opportunities. In the latter half of the century, Ishka – Quark's mother – and Grand Nagus Zek led a movement aimed at reforming cultural traditions that had excluded women, starting by giving females the right to wear clothing. The idea was that giving females that right allowed them to have pockets. Once they had pockets, they would likely want to fill them with latinum, so they were going to need jobs. After they started earning latinum, they were going to want to spend it, which meant Ferenginar would expand its workforce and consumer base at the same time."
Source

Pockets for everyone I say! :)

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
backpacks are even easier for pickpockets to open and steel content than a should purse

I hate backpaks because they are a blight in public transit

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Since when was it off for women to use backpacks? It's a friggin' backpack!