Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I wonder if they mean third party (outside of riot) or third party (not a console manufacturer). A basic understanding of English would point to the former being the correct interpretation based on what he's said. If so, I wonder if this will be a console game and/or if it's exclusive.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they mean third party (outside of riot) or third party (not a console manufacturer). A basic understanding of English would point to the former being the correct interpretation based on what he's said. If so, I wonder if this will be a console game and/or if it's exclusive.
It means they're the publishers, and they're giving the LoL rights to other developers.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I didn't even realise LoL had a story to begin with.
wut

universe.leagueoflegends.com

Universe of League of Legends

Welcome to Universe, the definitive source for the world of League of Legends.Here you’ll find a vast collection of art and artifacts, like bios chronicling the origins of your favorite champions and landscapes depicting the historic regions they hail from. It’s an evolving, multimedia archive...

Use the nav at the top of the page and prepare to be blown away.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Riot is a PC centric company, so it's obviously coming to PC first.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
to me it sounds like they're gonna fund, oversee and publish a game developed by an independent 3rd party studio.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As Blizzard becomes lost in its own snow storm of controversy, Riot finally makes its move and rises anew.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You say that, but they're in the business of making money. LoL is a big IP. If Sony or Microsoft wanted to, they could theoretically make it a console exclusive (with simultaneous pc release)

I doubt it since it's set in the League of Legends universe.

That would be pretty silly to make it a console exclusive since the install base of LOL is PC

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I'll cry at the start when half the cast dies after Tower Diving in Saving Private Ryan inspired scene

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So hyped - Legends of Runeterra is amazing, Wild Rift looks excellent and this all sounds like a great way to explore this universe.

I hope the Oxenfree team gets a go!

As Blizzard becomes lost in its own snow storm of controversy, Riot finally makes its move and rises anew.

They are on fire right now.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I really don't like League's gameplay, but I would be happy to play other stuff set in that universe.

This also makes me really frustrated at how Blizzard and Valve are squandering their own opportunities

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
Will this be the action rpg like game we saw in the video of the lol anniversary?

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Right because Riot has never been accused of being a terrible company
I would argue that blizzard is about 4x more on fire right now than Riot (not that it excuses the shitty practices riot had against women).

They really have a number of champs that could be good main characters though
Where's the 1v5 game ala Evolve where you play Kha'Zix and have to evolve to outsmart the hunters? The 3rd person shooter where you play a co-op campaign as either senna or Lucian and stop thresh? Hell they could even do a big Wave based survival game or something live vermintide where you have to survive the shadow isle fog in pirate land (I forgot the name)

They have a lot they could do

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Oh shit that sounds so fucking good. Lets see whats in store Riot.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I would argue that blizzard is about 4x more on fire right now than Riot (not that it excuses the shitty practices riot had against women).

Where's the 1v5 game ala Evolve where you play Kha'Zix and have to evolve to outsmart the hunters? The 3rd person shooter where you play a co-op campaign as either senna or Lucian and stop thresh? Hell they could even do a big Wave based survival game or something live vermintide where you have to survive the shadow isle fog in pirate land (I forgot the name)

They have a lot they could do
I doubt Riots policy towards Hong Kong is any different than Blizzard. They are owned by Tencent after all.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
The League lore and characters are deep enough that there is a ton of possibilities for great games and stories to come out of this.

Jambi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if it'll be an original idea or just a rip from another franchise like their other games.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Riots policy towards Hong Kong is any different than Blizzard. They are owned by Tencent after all.
There is way more wrong with blizzard than just hong Kong (though I agree that riot would've probably put out a similar response, just not at the level of stupidity of blizzards)

Just off the top of my head I have all this:
  • Heroes of the Storm Competitive scene getting killed out of literal thin air
  • Overwatch 2 announcement fiasco (I still don't know how the fuck it translates over)
  • WoW expac nonsense (this one I'm out of the loop of)
  • Diablo immortals
  • [Obligatory spot for anything Activision does that is on Battle.net]

Meanwhile riot has done this:
  • Rampant sexism (and probably more than just that)
  • League Immortals (pay2unlock champion mastery)
    • Immediately canceled after backlash
  • Ranked season 9 MMR issues
    • Resolved after 1st split
  • Last year's balancing fiasco

And the last 3 are all things from their games only, I could list a ton of things blizzard has done to fuck up heroes of the Storm from its launch (hell even beta), not even mentioning Overwatch.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
You know, an EPD collab would be cool as shit. Like if they made a LoL game in the BotW engine I would be genuinely curious about it.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I mean, even mobile gacha games are actually story driven and full of narrative. People should keep their expectations in check.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this will be a Riot game I'll be interested in?
Same. I love the character designs. I'm a fan of their art team. Just...I dont jive with the genre. Kinda how I feel on overwatch and dota as well.

Would love to see this be something I could enjoy too.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
There is way more wrong with blizzard than just hong Kong (though I agree that riot would've probably put out a similar response, just not at the level of stupidity of blizzards)

Just off the top of my head I have all this:
  • Heroes of the Storm Competitive scene getting killed out of literal thin air
  • Overwatch 2 announcement fiasco (I still don't know how the fuck it translates over)
  • WoW expac nonsense (this one I'm out of the loop of)
  • Diablo immortals
  • [Obligatory spot for anything Activision does that is on Battle.net]

Meanwhile riot has done this:
  • Rampant sexism (and probably more than just that)
  • League Immortals (pay2unlock champion mastery)
    • Immediately canceled after backlash
  • Ranked season 9 MMR issues
    • Resolved after 1st split
  • Last year's balancing fiasco

And the last 3 are all things from their games only, I could list a ton of things blizzard has done to fuck up heroes of the Storm from its launch (hell even beta), not even mentioning Overwatch.

HoTs was the red-headed step child. It was a mediocre MOBA that launched at a time when LoL/DOTA were (and still are) the kings in that space. It had a cool premise, but it was never going to be super successful. I totally expect it to just fizzle out over the next few Blizzcons, kind of like Starcraft.