• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel they should have waited until now to actually release the game instead of the time they wanted it to, especially in this relative downtime in switch "big" releases where they could capatalize on sales.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
That almost looks like a fucking remaster. That's how big a difference it is. Why is the patch number only increased by tenth of a point though? Surely these changes warrant a full point revision number? Maybe the patches are only number by iteration instead of significance.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can I get a patch for the PS4 Pro version now? That version has an uncapped fps :\

Oct 27, 2017
This is the perfect example how games on the Switch can look if the Devs would take the time for it. Switch is powerful for such a tiny device.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
That almost looks like a fucking remaster. That's how big a difference it is. Why is the patch number only increased by tenth of a point though? Surely these changes warrant a full point revision number? Maybe the patches are only number by iteration instead of significance.

Well, take into account that the patch is 1.0.2, not 1.02.

Almost nobody in videogame development follow this straight, but if they are using semver, the numbering is right, even with changes being so big, as they are not adding new features, just fixing bugs and improving performance.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
This is the perfect example how games on the Switch can look if the Devs would take the time for it. Switch is powerful for such a tiny device.

Personally, I don't think middleware and a generally non-optimized game is a perfect example of anything.

The developers at Zoink still seems to do at least as good in a similar environment in Fe while using Unity instead of UE4.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Hate that they released a rushed port to get it out. For that alone I will only buy used or for like 5€ digital on a sale. Hate it when devs do that. Shittiest thing this gen brought to us when it comes to single player games.

And yes, there is a difference between free content updates and fixing a shitty, seemingly rushed port.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
If the frames are good I will buy this. This was one of my most wanted games and I was very dissapointed to hear it was a bad port. Hopefully this patch will fix it.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
- Late release
- Repeatedly delayed
- Switch tax
- Disgraceful performance in final product

+ 4 months later patched to actually function as you would expect any other game to day 1

"Definitely buying it now, need to support the devs!"

This is why these things even happen in the first place smh.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 134

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Member warned: Poorly timed developer bashing.
They can fuck off for even releasing it as they did. Hope it bombed.

- Late release
- Repeatedly delayed
- Switch tax

+ 4 months later patched to actually function as you would expect any other game to day 1

Exactly.

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They can fuck off for even releasing it as they did. Hope it bombed.

Exactly.
Maybe getting to run it on the Switch was a challenge and they were short on time or pressured to release it earlier. Good thing they fixed it all. Give them some credit. This isn't some shit game. This is good stuff.

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe getting to run it on the Switch was a challenge and they were short on time or pressured to release it earlier. Good thing they fixed it all. Give them some credit. This isn't some shit game. This is good stuff.
What credit? For knowingly selling a poorly running game game to consumers? The challenge, time, or pressure is not the customer's problem. When they're willing to take money, it should be good to go. Totally inexcusable.

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What credit? For knowingly selling a poorly running game game to consumers? The challenge, time, or pressure is not the customer's problem. When they're willing to take money, it should be good to go. Totally inexcusable.
Dude where have you been living since the PS360 era? A ton of games have been released unfinished since last gen. It's not exclusive to this game. I mean I'd love to see them all released when finished and ready but we all know this isn't the case these days.

So I'm going to give them credit for at least giving us an excellent game and they actually put some effort to fix it.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see any reason to be angry about this unless you bought the game on release and were burned.
If you saw the reviews and didn't buy it, making a purchase after the patch releases and is confirmed to be as good as it looks sends the right message in my opinion.

Also take into account that this was the first generation of Switch software, and hopefully devs are much more familiar with the system now so future ports should be better from day 1. If they aren't, simply don't buy them until they're fixed.

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude where have you been living since the PS360 era? A ton of games have been released unfinished since last gen. It's not exclusive to this game. I mean I'd love to see them all released when finished and ready but we all know this isn't the case these days.
So what's your problem with my post, exactly? That I'm speaking out against awful practices?

This "support the troops" mentality when it comes to developers is absurd.

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what's your problem with my post, exactly? That I'm speaking out against awful practices?

This "support the troops" mentality when it comes to developers is absurd.
The hoping it bombed part because it was released in that state it was released in. I find it a bit extreme. If the actual game was bad I'd understand but it's not. And like I said the actual devs may have been pressed on time to release it. We don't really know the reasons but I like to give them the benefit of the doubt. And the fact they put the continued effort in and fixed it shows good intentions in my book.

Anyway I'll leave it at that.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By the token that a game with patches isn't finished, I don't think even Nintendo has shipped a single finished game on cartridge except for Bayonetta 2.

First of all that isn't true. I recall MK8D and I believe ARMS having no day one patch, and there may have been more.

Second, and most importantly, there is a massive difference between Mario Odyssey's day one patch that fixed a few minor bugs that few would have noticed and RiME's "here is a patch fixing the abysmal mess we put on the cartridge". Surely you can understand the difference.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even they managed to do it, while Monolith still doesn't give a fuck about how awful XB2 runs. But you're not going to find this many people saying the same stuff about that game, instead they are creating ridiculous threads about how the game is the best thing since sliced bread.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I have mixed feelings about this, it's cool that they have taken the time and resources to fix the mess but it's not cool that they released the mess in the first time. Also this makes the cartridge almost worthless.

I think this vindicates Tantalus (the one who made the port) as it all points to Tequila pressuring them to get the game released on time for Black Friday/Holidays. Once they were given enough time, it seems that they have managed to deliver a decent port.

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
I'm waiting to see some videos on monday of the update to see if the huge framedrops that i saw a lot on gameplay videos is at least reduced.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Actually, I'd say your attitude is perhaps both short sighted and needlessly vitriolic. Keep in mind the rigors and expenses of game development sometimes mean that the game has to ship, or you lose your studio.

"Taking money" in this instance is not likely driven by greed. Employees may be going weeks or months without pay. It can drive a hard decision like releasing an incomplete or imperfect product or lose an expensive marketing window that was established and paid for months in advance (up to tens of thousands of dollars or more, even for smaller titles). Decisions like, either you release the already previously delayed game, or fire some of your workers or even close your studio.

Fault may also lie up the chain with the hardware vendor, and likely issues with the engine not present in other versions of the game. Unreal engine switch in particular has different quirks and limitations for docked and handheld modes, essentially meaning you are developing and testing what amounts to two versions of the same game for the same system.

In other words, it is likely a number of factors may have played a role. These add up quickly, and it's not as if anyone is necessarily free to speak publicly of them. I know in particular working with Ninty and UE4 switch can be difficult, and sometimes getting questions answered or bugs addressed is not timely enough when you're in a crunch, you need to get your product into QA / certification ASAP for manufacturing and distribution or you miss your release window and lose your customers.

Truthfully I cannot speak to anyone's specific situation, no, and I am making excuses for no one. Poor time management may have certainly played a role. But dude, saying "I hope it bombed" is the kind of entitlement that is, frankly, jarring and a bit disgusting. The challenge, time, and pressure IS the customers problem because they demand quality in exchange for their money, which is fair.

Having worked with these guys in particular on something as relatively minor as a dynamic theme for the PS version, I never got an impression that they were anything but utterly dedicated to the quality of their product, and releasing the switch version in the state it was was probably beyond painful. The fact that they continued to work on it after a troubled release speaks to this, and dragging them through the mud for NOT abandoning their product is utterly perplexing.

Oct 27, 2017
I was really interested in Rime; it looked stunning before release (I may have been watching footage from consoles that weren't Switch, I'm not sure).

I couldn't believe how dreadful it looked and performed when released. Hopefully this update improves it enough to be enjoyable.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And now they are fixing it for the customers, better than leaving it in the bad state that it was.

And they previously shipped a garbage version for the customers, so they don't get credit for fixing it later. They're merely doing what they should have done in the first place.

Even they managed to do it, while Monolith still doesn't give a fuck about how awful XB2 runs. But you're not going to find this many people saying the same stuff about that game, instead they are creating ridiculous threads about how the game is the best thing since sliced bread.
Agreed. Many people have been way too lenient with certain games on Switch.

Two other examples are Doom and Rocket League. Both are rough ports and some people go out of their way to praise them. Then the Rocket League bosses admit the Switch version is a mess and they intend to deliver a big patch in the coming months.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
- Late release
- Repeatedly delayed
- Switch tax

They are not a big studio, their resources are limited and the Switch is a totally new platform to them so there was also a learning process. delaying software products happens all the time as it as sometimes hard to determine the time you need exactly due to many factors.

I respect them for caring about their customers and improving this version, they earned my respect for this, and I'm going to buy a physical version of the game later.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did Tantalus do this or did Tequila Works bring the game in-house? I suspect Tantalus did the work here

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
quite right, that logo screen with the shore and engulfing wave at the begining is indeed UE4. So then, no excuses to the dev team from me. The lack of time vs optimization, the run to the "the hot release" timmimg vs. delay, that is the real issue.

"no excuses"...How many UE4 games run perfectly on the Switch? It's obvious Epic are still optimizing their tools to work as efficiently on the Switch as possible.