DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Following the success of Star Wars: The Last Jedi, many fans hoped that writer/director Rian Johnson would make a return to the galaxy far, far away sooner rather than later, instead opting to enjoy the experience of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker as a fan instead of as a filmmaker, noting that it was a special experience not only as a fan, but also as a witness to what his former collaborators had concocted.

"I had a blast, man. Made me so proud and seeing the heart and soul that [director] J.J. [Abrams] put into it," Johnson shared with MTV News. "And seeing my friends who were in the movie just like, bring the whole thing to a conclusion. Yeah, for me as a Star Wars fan, it was a really special experience."

More at: https://comicbook.com/starwars/2020/02/11/star-wars-rian-johnson-the-rise-of-skywalker-reaction/

Take one last look at your friends if old

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How dare he. Doesn't he know the star wars are serious business and people are living and dying in the fanboy trenches even as we speak

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
It's MTV so I don't expect a lot but that is the most nothing answer when you don't want to say the truth. He probably doesn't give a shit anyway, it's done, knocking it does nothing, be professional.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
There is no reason for him to shit on it other than petty revenge against whatever the internet thinks he needs to shit on it for. It's just a movie and he probably did enjoy seeing his friends have fun and conclude their journey. RJ is good people.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, he's not going to be like, "That sucked shit and my movie was way better."

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
What else is he going to say? He still works with Lucasfilm.

With a film as bad as TROS he doesn't need to say anything. The fact that JJ Abrams has disappeared off the face of the earth tells us all we need to know.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Rian is a good guy. Even if he didn't like the movie he's not gonna run around shitting on it because it gains him nothing and only contributes to the toxic discourse swarming around all things Star Wars.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Rian doesn't need to say shit the critical score of TLJ and the award accolades for Knives Out speak for themselves.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Classy as usual. He would have made a much, much, much better version of that movie. So much better.

It's a tragedy he turned it down. We got Knives Out, true, but I'd trade that film for a satisfying ending to the Skywalker Saga in a heartbeat.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
JJ - "So our movie was not just following what we had started, it was following what we had started and then had been advanced by someone else. So there was that, and, finally, it was resolving nine movies. While there are some threads of larger ideas and some big picture things that had been conceived decades ago and a lot of ideas that Lawrence Kasdan and I had when we were doing Episode VII, the lack of absolute inevitability, the lack of a complete structure for this thing, given the way it was being run was an enormous challenge."

RJ - "I had a blast, man."

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
I get this strange feeling that Rian might have some insight into the whole process of making a Star Wars film and the realities and compromises that entails and doesn't need to rely on third hand narratives to understand how things get to be.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JJ - "So our movie was not just following what we had started, it was following what we had started and then had been advanced by someone else. So there was that, and, finally, it was resolving nine movies. While there are some threads of larger ideas and some big picture things that had been conceived decades ago and a lot of ideas that Lawrence Kasdan and I had when we were doing Episode VII, the lack of absolute inevitability, the lack of a complete structure for this thing, given the way it was being run was an enormous challenge."

RJ - "I had a blast, man."
Misleading. These are not answers to the same question, let alone the same type of question.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
People really think Johnson is gonna be as petty and pathetic as they are, huh?

Rickelodeon

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe he actually liked it.

He's unprompted expressed his like for the prequels before too

Maybe "good" or "bad" doesnt apply to him for star wars*, and he just sees it all as......."star wars". its just star wars and he loves star wars. thats how i am anyways........TFA, TLJ, TROS, they were all star wars, so i liked em all. this is true centrism

the phantom menace legit fucking sucks though, just awful.