• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why people still say "but it's just their opinion". Every reviewers have given some uncommon scores. But some usual suspects do it all the time, doesn't it raise some questions? Is it not possible that some reviewers are just not good at their job?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
It's obvious a big problem with the gaming community is 1.) Caring about metacritic at all and 2.) Thinking any score below an 8 means a reviewer thinks a game is garbage.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
That Uncharted 4 review is still some BS to this day. Mainly because MC needs a score to input a review and the actual review didn't have one. But honestly its because lower 1 point from the MC score, kinda crazy how much weight a single negative score can have against 100s of positive scores.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Oxf9W2I.png

Not so much the score because whatever, it's just a numerical value for their overall experience, but the written portion. The reviewer totally lost the fucking plot.

Wow, now that is truly an embarrassing exert.
Somehow the reviewer didn't catch on to the fact that everything in the game was all in Senua's head and she wouldn't have been suffering from it in the first place if it wasn't for her mental illness. What superpower exactly? That the voices sometimes included things that were helpful to an imaginary experience?

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They do not give low scores, it's everyone else who gives insanely high ones. The average score as recorded in Metacritic is about 80/100 and that's an average that includes broken games and third-rate materiel. The actual score for games of note is probably closer to 9 out of 10 than it is to an 8.

To Tom Chick and other A Quarter to Three contributors, a 2/5 game is simply below average or not particularly interesting. Which I think is much more sound than the way mainstream publications handle scoring.

Then what about 70+ games that A Quarter to Three gave a maximum score? Including very controversial picks like Steep and Agents of Mayhem? You have to be really blind to call them games without any (major) flaws.

GrimBorne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week) - Inflammatory and hostile attack. Doubling down. History of similar behaviour.
So it's still okay to call him a "sweaty drag queen"?

I'm sorry if your feelings were hurt but at the time he stopped making reviews there were multiple threads with Gifs of him wearing a blond wig with robes and a face full of makeup singing or whatever.

I'm glad he found his true calling because as you can see by this thread he was an awful reviewer with zero credibility.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I love Diablo 3 (probably my most played game ever) but I'm surprised the game only had one bad review.
The game was a mess at launch.

Oct 25, 2017
Jim Sterling gave very specific critique of BotW, specifically of some of the systems, that was fair criticism. The reaction to that outlier score was strange, especially considering that in general, video game reviews tend to be poorly written and fairly uncritical. Sterling at least gave a reasonable critique of the game.

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shrug. People like what they like. I'd rather have a reviewer be honest with their opinion and I value lower than average scores as the person might call out things that others don't. Or that others apologize for. Jim Sterling's review of Breath of the Wild is completely understandable. There are a ton of people who are going to feel the exact same way as him. Some will genuinely enjoy the weapon durability mechanic, some will convince themselves they enjoy it, some will overlook it to enjoy what else the game has to offer, and others will justifiably dislike the game for it.

People invest way too much of themselves in what reviewers score games and its really pathetic.

Oct 25, 2017
Picture u being the owner of a steakhouse. U wake up read the reviews online. U see a 4/10 review. U click the link and it was a review by a vegetarian. U going to be like wtf. Why come to and review my steakhouse if u don't like meat.

4/10
The steak smells made me sick

A vegetarian can still give the place a valid poor review for it having few/no vegetarian options. I don't think that's a very good analogy nor does it translate very well to game reviews at all since these reviewers are hardly upholding a life long creed of "I don't do cinematic games!". You making that assumption about a reviewer is incredibly arrogant.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The wost part about Jim's BotW review is that you can't seem to criticize it without people jumping down your throat about how "7 isn't a bad score" when it's the text of the review and the circumstances surrounding it that were the problem. Like, he really seems to have gone into that review with a contrarian view from the outset (even mentioning the game's high scores in the review itself), but then does a really bad job backing that up, to the point where he factually misrepresented the mechanics at times.

Then after the review went up, he spent weeks milking the controversy, peaking in a video where he tried to make it seem like Zelda fans were being unusually mean to Horizon on Metacritic with their user reviews, despite a cursory glance showing far more negative user reviews for BotW.

Sums up my experience back in the day almost completely. It was very frustrating trying to argue you had issues with the actual content of the review rather than score. I love the game and I could probably write a review that gives 7/10 and comes of as very fair. So the review being the way it was made me lose any credibility I had for him and I've just avoided all his content since.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Here's my contribution, then. This one was pretty high profile :P

so16JuM.png

1tv2HxR.png
The text here is pretty bang on the money to me, I adored the game but the breakable weapons, stupid "can't climb at all in the rain" mechanic and a few other niggles detracted from the overall experience.

The score is a little low though, it's still one of my favourite games ever.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Yikes, the character assassination going on in this thread is unbelievable...all over a review score.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can say for myself, that there is always a reviewers opinion that gives the score. I reviewed Extinction for our website and I really liked it, even with its flaws. Though I still cannot recommend the game to anyone because of the ridiculous pricepoint.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
That Uncharted 4 review is still some BS to this day. Mainly because MC needs a score to input a review and the actual review didn't have one. But honestly its because lower 1 point from the MC score, kinda crazy how much weight a single negative score can have against 100s of positive scores.

The "review" itself is straight-up garbage anyway, even without the score on MC

-PyramidSong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
JimSterling and his 7/10 BOTW review.

He is a very incompetent reviewer in my opinion, I still remember him giving Hellblade a rediculously low score becuase he thought one sequence glitched out on hin causing him to die over and over again only to found out it's not a glitch at all, and had to change the score later on.

Like holy shit can you fucking grow up?

The way I see it, he is an emotion driven man-child and totally not suited for a professional reviewer. If he enjoys a game then it automatically gets really high score, he never looked deep into a game's design or structure, as long as he had fun, boom 9/10. Deus Ex Mankind Devided has an unfinished story arc and ended way too suddenly on a cliffhanger? Well I enjoyed it so fuck all that story shit, 9.5 out of 10 baby! JimSterling son!

You shouldn't base your scores solely on your enjoyment, I for example doesn't really enjoyed The Last of Us all that much, probably because I just don't like the setting and the art style, and yet if I have to reivew it it's still going to be at least a 9, the game is just so well designed and executed compare to any game of its genre, you can see so much care and effort put into it, my enjoyment alone should not be used to determine its score, that's just incompetent.

JimSterling don't care, he only praise what he enjoys at the moment, Nioh is a great game imo, but the complete lack of enemy variety and extremely repetitive use of boss music should be an obvious flaw, and yet he still fucking gave it a 10/10 anyway, only because he had a lot of fun with it. A fucking 10 really, like where is your standard Jim?

I'm just glad he stopped doing reviews, even him knows that he wasn't any good at it.
Good post

Norgler

Nov 13, 2017
I feel like the Diablo 3 review is justified.. it was a mess at release and was scored to high.

It took a few months of patches and such before it got good.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes at people attacking reviewers here. In the end of the day, as long as they gave the game a fair shake, all their opinions and reviews are valid. As if you peeps forgot that we're all unique individuals with different tastes and wants.

JimSterling and his 7/10 BOTW review.

He is a very incompetent reviewer in my opinion, I still remember him giving Hellblade a rediculously low score becuase he thought one sequence glitched out on hin causing him to die over and over again only to found out it's not a glitch at all, and had to change the score later on.

Like holy shit can you fucking grow up?

The way I see it, he is an emotion driven man-child and totally not suited for a professional reviewer. If he enjoys a game then it automatically gets really high score, he never looked deep into a game's design or structure, as long as he had fun, boom 9/10. Deus Ex Mankind Devided has an unfinished story arc and ended way too suddenly on a cliffhanger? Well I enjoyed it so fuck all that story shit, 9.5 out of 10 baby! JimSterling son!

You shouldn't base your scores solely on your enjoyment, I for example doesn't really enjoyed The Last of Us all that much, probably because I just don't like the setting and the art style, and yet if I have to reivew it it's still going to be at least a 9, the game is just so well designed and executed compare to any game of its genre, you can see so much care and effort put into it, my enjoyment alone should not be used to determine its score, that's just incompetent.

JimSterling don't care, he only praise what he enjoys at the moment, Nioh is a great game imo, but the complete lack of enemy variety and extremely repetitive use of boss music should be an obvious flaw, and yet he still fucking gave it a 10/10 anyway, only because he had a lot of fun with it. A fucking 10 really, like where is your standard Jim?

I'm just glad he stopped doing reviews, even him knows that he wasn't any good at it.
Because in the end it's all subjective, it's their opinion. I would personally give 7 to BotW myself because I was bored with it, it's just not for me.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I don't know why people still say "but it's just their opinion". Every reviewers have given some uncommon scores. But some usual suspects do it all the time, doesn't it raise some questions? Is it not possible that some reviewers are just not good at their job?

Do you think a reviewer is doing an excellent job if they almost exclusively give high scores?

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
It's not about consistently high/low scores, it's about consistently uncommon scores. After a certain point, you have to wonder why they're doing it so often.

And the answer to that is, pretty likely, they have divergent tastes.

Dinging Stirling for getting mechanical details wrong is fair play, however complaining his reviews are lower rated is, I dunno, putting the cart before the horse.

You should use a reviewer's body of work to figure out if their tastes align with your own, not as a mechanism for validation.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
And the answer to that is, pretty likely, they have divergent tastes.

Dinging Stirling for getting mechanical details wrong is fair play, however complaining his reviews are lower rated is, I dunno, putting the cart before the horse.

You should use a reviewer's body of work to figure out if their tastes align with your own, not as a mechanism for validation.
Oh yeah, I wasn't using that as a blanket argument for all reviewers who consistently give out uncommon scores. Only Sterling. He has a history of doing so, and a lot of the times when he does this, his reviews flat out suck (the reviews, not the scores). He clearly is a very bad reviewer.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Yeah I don't agree with him on that BoTW review, I enjoyed the things he didn't like.

On the other hand, Gerstmann's 8.8 review seems too lenient in retrospect.

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
If a review doesn't exactly meet my own opinion of a game, then the reviewer in question is either an idiot or has been paid off, presumably by a shady corporation that has a vested interest in publishing articles to piss me off.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, some reviewers are not good at their job. But to assume that someone who sometimes writes outlier reviews is a bad reviewer seems really unfair, imo. It could just mean they have an unusual taste in games that does not jive with the consensus.

As long as the review is factual and reflects their honest opinion, good or bad, then the reviewer is doing his or her job.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Sure, some reviewers are not good at their job. But to assume that someone who sometimes writes outlier reviews is a bad reviewer seems really unfair, imo. It could just mean they have an unusual taste in games that does not jive with the consensus.

As long as the review is factual and reflects their honest opinion, good or bad, then the reviewer is doing his or her job.
Yes but that is the point, most of the time you cant figure put those parts.
1st, how would you know they are being honest or not??
2nd, the factual part is more easy to spot, but many reviews fall into the mentallity "I dont like it, ergo is bad design"