Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Just a software update, guys! You know, for the suspension, axles, and steering.
Wheels falling off cars at speed. Suspensions collapsing on brand-new vehicles. Axles breaking under acceleration. Tens of thousands of customers told Tesla about a host of part failures on low-mileage cars. The automaker sought to blame drivers for vehicle 'abuse,' but Tesla documents show it had tracked the chronic 'flaws' and 'failures' for years.
Shreyansh Jain was ecstatic in March when he picked up his first electric vehicle, a brand-new 2023 Tesla Model Y. He used a sizable chunk of family savings to buy it with cash.

"We were over the moon!" said Jain, an electronics engineer in Cambridge, England.

His exuberance came to a "grinding halt" one day later, with 115 miles on the odometer, Jain told Reuters. As he drove with his wife and three-year-old daughter, he suddenly lost steering control as he made a slow turn into their neighborhood. The vehicle's front-right suspension had collapsed, and parts of the car loudly scraped the road as it came to a stop.

"They were absolutely petrified," Jain said of his wife and daughter. "If we were on a 70-mile-per-hour highway, and this would have happened, that would have been catastrophic."

The complex repair required nearly 40 hours of labor to rebuild the suspension and replace the steering column, among other fixes, according to a detailed repair estimate. The cost: more than $14,000. Tesla refused to cover the repairs, blaming the accident on "prior" suspension damage.
Also you'd better not wash your Tesla, they are not designed to withstand that kind of abuse.
Andrew Lundeen, of Santa Rosa, California, was driving his wife's 2018 Model 3 in August when he rode over a speed bump and lost power steering.

Lundeen said in an interview that a Tesla service manager told him that a power-steering connector had corroded. The manager said the likely cause was a car wash, which he described as a known problem.

Lundeen paid $4,400 to replace the steering rack and a wiring harness.

"This is the only car that I've ever heard of where a car wash can damage the wiring," Lundeen recalled telling the manager.

Lundeen said he was so shocked by the manager's frank explanation of Tesla's part failures that he wrote it down: "All I can tell you," the Tesla manager said, "is we're not a 100-year-old company like GM and Ford. We haven't worked all the bugs out yet.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Blaming drivers for the failures of automotive engineers is a long, proud history of the US (and probably worldwide) auto industry.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
The cost: more than $14,000. Tesla refused to cover the repairs, blaming the accident on "prior" suspension damage.

I'm sorry but what the actual fuck? It's a new car?
Isn't there literally cameras and telemetry on board designed to determine when an accident like this would have happened?

EDIT: Ah okay. Not part of the EU anymore. Sorry UK.

Last edited:

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
twenty-tesla-vehicles-are-affected-by-fires-on-the-same-day-in-turkey-and-france-222653_1.jpg

J.T

Nov 22, 2017
Man, a Tesla was going to be my next car but everything I read makes me have serious doubt. I think this confirm I'm out. I'll look into other EV.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Cars are designed to be driven. If you're going rock crawling in your sedan sure, there's an issue. But just driving under any normal road circumstances shouldn't matter. It breaks fix it. If you make the car got 0-60 in 4 seconds it Better be able to handle that. This goes for any manufacturer. Especially with the price of new cars today.

Oct 29, 2017
It's almost as if the cars are heaps of shit death traps, due to Elon's mandates for cutting corners, something all the "I own a Tesla but hate Musk" stans just keep failing to understand

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is it just because they were the most popular EV at the time but really were badly made this whole time? These scandals keep on coming out.

Oct 29, 2017
Is it just because they were the most popular EV at the time but really were badly made this whole time? These scandals keep on coming out.
www.thedrive.com

Tesla Model Y Owners Find Cooling System Cobbled Together With Home Depot-Grade Fake Wood

The world's most valuable automaker, ladies and gentlemen.
insideevs.com

Consumer Reports Still Ranks Tesla Reliability 27th Out Of 28

Even though Tesla dominates CR's owner satisfaction surveys, it fares very poorly when it comes to reliability and dependability.
www.nbcnews.com

Tesla ranks dead last in latest auto quality survey

Tesla owners reported an average of 250 problems per 100 vehicles.
5 seconds of googling. They've been shit the whole time.

Oct 25, 2017

"Scandal" is a bit loaded here. There's a long history of automakers trying to pass of problems onto the consumer.

It's just that given the fervor of Tesla for a near decade and their constant defenders this stuff is going to look worse. And really it is pretty bad looking that a CAR WASH can destroy a module.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
www.thedrive.com

Tesla Model Y Owners Find Cooling System Cobbled Together With Home Depot-Grade Fake Wood

The world's most valuable automaker, ladies and gentlemen.
insideevs.com

Consumer Reports Still Ranks Tesla Reliability 27th Out Of 28

Even though Tesla dominates CR's owner satisfaction surveys, it fares very poorly when it comes to reliability and dependability.
www.nbcnews.com

Tesla ranks dead last in latest auto quality survey

Tesla owners reported an average of 250 problems per 100 vehicles.
5 seconds of googling. They've been shit the whole time.

I think people are unfortunately interpreting "Market leading" as "Must mean quality" because that's generally how one becomes market leader as opposed to first-mover advantage.

I'm personally going to hold off on buying an EV until reliability across the board improves because I don't want to stress about a $10K battery replacement or outright totaling of a car in the event of a fender bender.

Everyone who follows the industry know the build quality has been very suspect the whole time.

Feels like Musk has managed to successfully distract consumers from quality concerns with their Supercharging network and Autopilot capabilities.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I think people are unfortunately interpreting "Market leading" as "Must mean quality" because that's generally how one becomes market leader as opposed to first-mover advantage.

I'm personally going to hold off on buying an EV until reliability across the board improves because I don't want to stress about a $10K battery replacement or outright totaling of a car in the event of a fender bender.
Same here. I got my first car in March of 2019, a 2019 Subaru Legacy Sport. I lost a fight with a garage door and there's some light cosmetic damage but still runs like new, and I plan on driving it until it gives up the ghost… and by then I think general EV ecosystems (charging, etc) will be where it needs to be. I do plan on my next car to be an EV, but I'm staying far far away from the Musk… well… musk.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've never heard a single good thing about a Tesla's build quality, fit, or finish.

(The HUD screen that can detect other cars is nice.)

They're also really fucking annoying to even get inside because someone had the bright idea to not have handles on the door. I can't imagine how annoying they are to drive, if you've got the one that requires a touchscreen for all basic settings rather than physical dials.

I don't see why anyone wouldn't want an EV from an actual car-maker like Toyota.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Just a software update, guys! You know, for the suspension, axles, and steering.

Also you'd better not wash your Tesla, they are not designed to withstand that kind of abuse.

Article is somehow even worse than I was expecting. Musk has always come across as a venture capitalist first, CEO second in interviews. Cost cutting at the expense of safety is par for the course.

Last edited:

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
It's almost as if the cars are heaps of shit death traps, due to Elon's mandates for cutting corners, something all the "I own a Tesla but hate Musk" stans just keep failing to understand

All the car gurus I followed always pointed out all kinds of suspect things, then never mind some of the actual accounts from people driving those things. Yep, buy an EV from an actual carmaker.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joQl-3fsOpc

wash your car or steer your car 🤔 tough choices in this modern world

I think I'm sold on Tesla now

😂
By the way, do the SpaceX rockets still keep exploding midair after destroying the launch pads? All that taxpayer money subsidizing that moron.

Oct 28, 2017
At this point, I think it's totally acceptable to think that anything that comes from Musk or one of his companies is bullshit when it comes to product safety or the treatment of animals or damage to the environment from one of his rockets etc.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
"Scandal" is a bit loaded here. There's a long history of automakers trying to pass of problems onto the consumer.

It's just that given the fervor of Tesla for a near decade and their constant defenders this stuff is going to look worse. And really it is pretty bad looking that a CAR WASH can destroy a module.

Ford did the exact same thing to Focus and Fiesta owners. That was definitely a scandal. Guess we'll see if a class action results.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody should ever buy a Tesla
Back when the Model S first came out, I was interested, but it's just been continually downhill ever since.

Even before Musk became more public with how shitty he is, the actual quality of their vehicles has been questionable since day one.

Now that there is a lot more competition for them in the market compared to a decade ago, there's basically zero reason to even consider one unless you are some crazy Musk fan or something.

Oct 7, 2018
USA
Yeah I think this is clearly a situation where Tesla was in the right place at the right time which enabled them to become a market leader even though the build quality was crap.

Now that we are seeing more traditional automakers getting into the electric vehicle market Tesla's glaring issues stand out more than ever.

suedester

Oct 25, 2017
These threads are always interesting. When owners post it's nothing but praise. Makes you think.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
These threads are always interesting. When owners post it's nothing but praise. Makes you think.

I saw this thread and almost made a post about how I've never had a single problem with my 2021 MY in two years and 30K+ miles, nor have I ever talked to any Tesla owners who've had anything more than minor quality issues, BUT, what's the point really? People won't believe me because I'm a Tesla investor, and I sure can't refute news articles with my limited first hand experience.

I'll just say my Tesla is the best car I've ever driven or owned and I'm extremely happy with it. I'll be the outlier in this thread. 😎