daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't listen up until the qanon garbage, but he is obviously wrong about me too and BLM, but in more of a "I am woefully uninformed" rather than being malicious... at least.

His other views are pretty fucking hippy, the alien stuff is whatever.

I hope he comes out on twitter and addresses some of these things, looking at that he actually seems quite progressive, especially about the environment.

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's by far the worst voice actor in DMC5, so I'd see his replacement, whatever form it takes, as a net positive. Trash human.

Lol, you serious?

Don't judge his voice acting skills based on his beliefs. You may disagree his point of view but to judge his VA based on is beliefs/views is moronic and weird.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
As a general decree: Anyone who believes that black people should forgive white supremacy is not a good person.

(In case you were wondering, yes; this kind of thing is why minorities have beef with gaming culture.)

Thank you. BLM in particular is not about grievances from the distant past, but about ongoing expressions of white supremacist violence. Just this month, the officers who murdered Stephon Clark were said to be legally justified in using deadly force even though he was unarmed in his grandmother's backyard.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't listen up until the qanon garbage, but he is obviously wrong about me too and BLM, but in more of a "I am woefully uninformed" rather than being malicious... at least.

His other views are pretty fucking hippy, the alien stuff is whatever.

I hope he comes out on twitter and addresses some of these things, looking at that he actually seems quite progressive, especially about the environment.
I mean there are a lot of libertarians that are progressive/left in some specific spots like environment and legalized weed, but on the far right in other areas.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
It says alot that topics on DMCV on the first few pages are this and this:
Capcom Hired A Bigot White Actor To Play Morrison In Devil May Cry 5
Despite its brilliance as a video game, Devil May Cry 5 has become a well-pronounced subject of controversy. Capcom, of other debatable matters, hired white actor Joey Camen to voice Dante's investigator J.D. Morrison, who's portrayed as a black character in the game. Note that a white actor playing a black character isn't the problem. There's more to the story.

Joey Camen is an American voice actor, comedian and writer who has voiced many characters in various video games, movies and TV shows. As a person, Camen is a bigot, dons blackface, pretends to be black and says "nigga" for fun. Here are a few videos from his inactive YouTube channel -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSclXFKWkOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50F5lnBOVbg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Ui5MGhk0M

Why is this a matter of concern?
There are numerous talented voice actors that could have been considered for the role of Morrison. Instead, Capcom picked Joey Camen. It's a concern since it takes representation and jobs away from black actors who are already struggling to find work in the industry. Also, by hiring people with hurtful backgrounds Capcom isn't just damaging its own reputation, but supporting such people and their actions by giving them employment and opportunities.

Capcom should have vetted Camen before bringing him on board. It could be possible that Capcom Japan had most of the say in the project which resulted in the same.

Is this the first time?
Unfortunately, no. During the Tokyo Game Show 2018, Capcom debuted "Subhuman," the battle theme for Dante, which created a controversy as well. The song was performed by Cody Matthew Johnson featuring Suicide Silence. The latter's frontman Eddie Hermida originally sang the main vocals, who was soon accused of inappropriate sexual allegations with a 17-year-old fan.

In a recent interview, Dante's voice actor Reuben Langdon stated how he had a "hard time" believing the allegations against Vic Mignogna, which includes various accusations of homophobia, anti-Semitism and unwanted sexual advances. Langdon, along with the two hosts also talked about how #MeToo and Black Lives Matter have gotten "hijacked" and lamented how even just "hugging someone" would be getting interpreted as sexual harassment.

Capcom's Responses
To compensate for Subhuman, Capcom issued an apology and replaced Eddie's voice track with that of Michael Barr's.

Regarding the hiring of Joey Camen, Capcom hasn't issued anything as of now. We've contacted Capcom to comment on the issue and we'll update this article as soon as there's any development.

Make sure you subscribe to our push-notifications and never miss an update on Devil May Cry 5. Until next time, Happy Gaming!

Can I publish it?
Addressing this stuff when it pops up in and outside of the industry matters. All of this stuff adds up to produce the very kind of culture progressives are trying to fight against. Either people need to learn and grow or they just need to get out of these positions and opportunities they've been granted.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, you serious?

Don't judge his voice acting skills based on his beliefs. You may disagree his point of view but to judge his VA based on is beliefs/views is moronic and weird.

Yes, I'm serious, what of it? Where in my post am I slamming his VA skills based on his views? It's the other way around, re-read my post.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Man, this fucking sucks. Ken is the best ever and now I'm gonna be disgusted picking my favorite character

God damn you Reuben. Is empathy really so hard for people to get?

Feb 16, 2018
Damn such a shame to hear about this, also disappointing to hear people will skip an excellent game because of a few assholes involved but people have the right to buy or not buy something however they feel. Hopefully Capcom will pay attention to the criticism and be better about vetting those involved in the future. I guess this helps the debate of Vergil > Dante.

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
Matt Mercer as Dante would be a great choice, imo.

He's definitely ready to look the part, at any rate!

um0uvbotvtv11.jpg

On this topic...well, I have been a fan of Reuben's work since DMC3. I watched cons with him, I followed his channel when he started posting mo-cap cutscene videos from DMC4, and I paid attention when he worked on movies like Pirates 3: At World's End, so suffice to say this news is a sore disappointment. Until he speaks otherwise, nothing of his so-called "extremist" BLM and #metoo views ought to be excused, and he absolutely needs to do more research into Vic Mignogna's harassment stories. I was listening to that 2-hour podcast posted in the Vic Mignogna thread, and I hated that those two other hosts led him on with unsubstantiated talk of "debunked stories from accusers" and "Vic's reputation is ruined" -- but Reuben's views are also his own and he must be held accountable for them.

Seeing as how Itsuno prefers his lead actors to be capable of performance capture, voice acting, and martial arts & stunt work, replacing the role of Dante might be a more complicated endeavor than simply finding another VA. But it is one I support should DMC6 arise with a reappearance from Dante.

And I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone who would choose to avoid DMC5 based on this news and the research into Morrison's VA.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
His QAnon stupidity was known well before DMC5 came out and very few people spoke up.
Pretty much, I've seen his level of conspiracy nutjob cited several times, even saw him post a few articles with such content on his personal FB when I followed him briefly a few years back.

Though this stuff...wow, guess it was the next step for him. Boy, Mack Windy be crazy.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
They should have just made DmC2 instead. Nero already looks like Nu Dante anyway.
And piss off your fanbase again? And mess with your messaging to a casual audience again? (They rebooted a game in 2013 only to make a dmc5 in 2019, only for DmC2 in 202X would be a turn off).

It's not exactly a big mainstream ip, it's lead dog in a pretty niche genre. They are far better commercially served continuing with the DMC universe, characters, and mechanics their fanbase actually likes.

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
so he is a republican/conservative? i don't think you can feasibly boycott every game that has a republican working on it.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
As a general decree: Anyone who believes that black people should forgive white supremacy is not a good person.

(In case you were wondering, yes; this kind of thing is why minorities have beef with gaming culture.)
It's (your) not a controversial opinion at all. But it brings up a question: Do you believe that people change? Because for me it's actually a tough belief to hold. Personally (in my surroundings) I almost never see people change BUT I have to believe that people change to align with my liberal beliefs regarding incarceration system. I think that prison system should help people change and that people who have served their time should have the same rights than anyone else does. It's not necessarily forgiving but rather giving them benefit of the doubt because it's unfair if I don't.

Now, you might say that it's unfair that some white supremacists will never be in prison, but I don't think there is a way to deal with it. As shitty as current laws are, you can't make a law that puts people in prison for their past actions.

Last edited:

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
- Going back to Me Too and Black Lives Matter, he thinks the solution is that people need to learn to "forgive."

If forgiveness worked then white supremacy wouldn't be a problem today. It didn't. Confederates were spared from the punishment they deserved in hopes of reuniting the country. In return, the South enacted Jim Crow and segregation. When those were overturned, they resorted to the war on drugs and racial gerrymandering. This also holds true to sexual predators. Simple forgiveness doesn't work. In response to women getting more power and influence, they elected a sexual predator for the Presidency who then put a rapist on the Supreme Court.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
so he is a republican/conservative? i don't think you can feasibly boycott every game that has a republican working on it.
By all accounts, doesn't seem like it. A lot of his tweets are favorable to lgbt, he retweeted some Iceland shit about equal pay for men n women with "progress!", he is huge into environment shit.

He just happens to be mega weird and conspiracy theory nutso. I think he is more ignorant as shit.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
By all accounts, doesn't seem like it.

He boosted QAnon which, by his own account, he is... .I dont think it's possible to be QAnon and *not* be.

The beleifs of that particular conspiracy theory area the alt-rightest of the alt-right (QAnon is more or less just "Trump Is A Hero Here To Save Us From The Evil Democrats Who All Molest Children")

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
But it brings up a question: Do you believe that people change? Because for me it's actually a tough belief to hold.
I don't think people change their deeply-held beliefs in enough time for me as a black woman to care about trying to do so at the expense of simply telling open racists to fuck off and immediately improving my environment that way.

Personally (in my surroundings) I almost never see people change BUT I have to believe that people change to align with my liberal beliefs regarding incarceration system. I think that prison system should help people change and that people who have served their time should have the same rights than anyone else does. It's not necessarily forgiving but rather giving them benefit of the doubt because it's unfair if I don't.

Now, you might say that it's unfair that some white supremacists will never be in prison, but I don't think there is a way to deal with it. As shitty as current laws are, you can't make a law that puts people in prison for their past actions.
Dude, Imma be honest. I'm rolling my eyes. I REALLY don't care to talk about prison reform in a topic about a voice actor simply being an idiot. No one even wants to imprison him, nor make what he did illegal. And the fact that you're pivoting to escalate to this angle again- over a voice actor being an idiot- is just tired as fuck.

Really, it is. I'm tired of people doing everything in their power to forgive white folks who look down on me in one way or another. So you do whatever you want; buy the game for all I care if you haven't already. I have to go to work, like, now. The rest of y'all have fun in this circus.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
Actually can we get the QAnon thing in the thread title- it's the biggest indicator of what he's deep into at this point.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
He boosted QAnon which, by his own account, he is... .I dont think it's possible to be QAnon and *not* be.

The beleifs of that particular conspiracy theory area the alt-rightest of the alt-right (QAnon is more or less just "Trump Is A Hero Here To Save Us From The Evil Democrats Who All Molest Children")
It was never made clear exactly what he said about Qanon, just that it was brought up at some point.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
I don't think people change their deeply-held beliefs in enough time for me as a black woman to care about trying to do so at the expense of simply telling open racists to fuck off and immediately improving my environment that way.

Dude, Imma be honest. I'm rolling my eyes. I REALLY don't care to talk about prison reform in a topic about a voice actor simply being an idiot. No one even wants to imprison him, nor make what he did illegal. And the fact that you're pivoting to this angle is just tired as fuck.

Really, it is. I'm tired of people doing everything in their power to forgive white folks who look down on me. So you do whatever you want; buy the game for all I care if you haven't already. I have to go to work, like, now. The rest of y'all have fun in this circus.
That was just an example what "forgiving" in prison system is. You can say that you don't forgive (and you shouldn't), I was just exploring what that means in real world (that was the only example I could think of). And I'm not pretending to have an answer.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Damn reuben, i knew he was a bit off but not that much, at worst i was expecting a confused trump supporter, what a shame hopefully the upcoming criticism will make him think about these things more
Man, this fucking sucks. Ken is the best ever and now I'm gonna be disgusted picking my favorite character

God damn you Reuben. Is empathy really so hard for people to get?
unfortunately, for many people it really is, empathy is taught, not learned and when some people live in a bubble(culture, media, religion, race, family, etc) they don't really think about the rest of society as long as they don't need to, with varying consecuences.not that this excuses his beliefs, those are still toxic.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Really shitty that people continue to place the blame for racism, sexism, harassment etc on the minorities effected and oppressed by it for not being "forgiving enough" or "civil" to people emboldened by the status quo and who are often let off with slaps on the wrist if anything does come about from it. Skills like empathy are in short supply among many people, it seems.

By all accounts, doesn't seem like it. A lot of his tweets are favorable to lgbt, he retweeted some Iceland shit about equal pay for men n women with "progress!", he is huge into environment shit.

He just happens to be mega weird and conspiracy theory nutso. I think he is more ignorant as shit.

It's not uncommon for left-leaning or progressive people to have major blind spots and biases, particularly for topics that mainly effect POC. There have been some topics in etcetera about it popping up every now and then lately. It's possible he's just misinformed and not purposefully being a douche, and I hope he reconsiders his viewpoints instead of doubling down but from my brief experience with conspiracy believers it's tough to talk them out of things they decide are right.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
None of this is news.
I became Facebook friends with Reuben Langdon before street fighter 5 came out, and found out that he was a conspiracy theory nut bar that would post the most bizarre woo trash all day. It's all under the guise of balance and global spiritual awakening and shit like that.
I saw it for years and sometimes it was amusing but most of the time his posts were just the worst kind of stupid wishful thinking crap.

He's not s big thinker, let's put it that way.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's not uncommon for left-leaning or progressive people to have major blind spots and biases, particularly for topics that mainly effect POC. There have been some topics in etcetera about it popping up every now and then lately. It's possible he's just misinformed and not purposefully being a douche, and I hope he reconsiders his viewpoints instead of doubling down but from my brief experience with conspiracy believers it's tough to talk them out of things they decide are right.
Doesn't seem like the case with him RTing Qanon.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuck this game's reputation is going to be ruined not by it's actual gameplay but by all the shitty people surrounding it.
I mean, I doubt the guy who voices Dante being a wacko and the guy who voices Morrison being human garbage is going to change sales too much, but it is a really sad state of affairs

Deleted member 51266

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 26, 2018
None of this is news.
I became Facebook friends with Reuben Langdon before street fighter 5 came out, and found out that he was a conspiracy theory nut bar that would post the most bizarre woo trash all day. It's all under the guise of balance and global spiritual awakening and shit like that.
I saw it for years and sometimes it was amusing but most of the time his posts were just the worst kind of stupid wishful thinking crap.

He's not s big thinker, let's put it that way.
Yeah, I used to follow him on twitter during the early 2010s, for years I thought he was being ironic (I think most people did, even his friends?), the Qanon stuff from last year made me realize that he's off his rocker for real.

Super talented voice actor/motion capture actor, just not right in the head, unfortunately.