BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...really hits home how heavily Metal Gear Rising inspired Sekiro's combat.

The back and forth parrying/deflecting/blocking, ground and air parry, parrying projectiles, the color coded enemy special attacks that tell you that you need to parry or evade because it's an unblockable/grab, the need to beat down on enemies to open up a critical hit (Zandatsu) etc.

XbHSVwL.gif

Even enemy wise, the Ogre in Sekiro is pretty much Mastiff from MGR, from the way it grabs to the drop kick.

Posture comes into play with Sekiro's parrying while in MGR you have perfect parries which result in a parry counter, parry wars (you and the enemy engage in parrying over and over) etc.

One awesome feature MGR's combat has is de-limbing, the more you hit the enemy on various body parts the more individual body parts weaken and when they become blue you can cut them off and continue fighting the same enemy.

So what this means is that you are fighting an enemy and cutting off their limbs one by one limiting their options to attack (and they will attack differently based on what state their body is in). It's basically the precision of shooting from action Resident Evil applied to character action melee combat with precision cutting.

U4Hosmk.gif

So yeah, they do have their own quirks but if you like Sekiro's combat and you love parrying then consider picking up MGR if you haven't already. It's easily one of the best action games ever made and has amazing bosses and music.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Ah rising, the sekirosoulsborne of metal gears!

I'll get back to it, because prior to mastering parry in Sekiro I couldn't for the life of me beat MGR:R on higher difficulties.

Oct 27, 2017
I had a feeling it would be similiar when it was first revealed so I am glad I was right.
Both games are some of the best games ever. I owe a lot to MGR for me falling in love with parrying so when I first started playing Sekiro I was in heaven.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
oh good im not the only one that felt this.

Specifically just how both games made defensive techniques feel like another kind of attack, suit my typically aggressive playstyles so guud.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Revengeance is probably why Sekiro felt so off to me. It absolutely didn't nail the parrying perfection that Rising demonstrated and combined with framerate issues just felt jarring in comparison. Armstrong was a tough final fight but I always found it fair, not the case with Sekiro's final boss and various hitbox problems.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Because when you missed a parry in MGR, it was entirely up to you and not shitty lag in a variable fps game. This made the game way less frustrating.
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like MGR's enemy animations are just more readable and obvious than Sekiro's. Sekiro felt like trial and error sometimes because the animation was so fast and several enemies attack with tiny ass weapons/appendages barely visible on screen. I felt like the game was more about pattern recognition rather than just...playing the game. I don't know if that makes sense.
They're both incredible games, and MGR deserves a sequel.
For as long as I live I'll never forget this and Platinum having to play it off like it meant nothing after the Kojima firing. This really would've been Platinum's best game of all time.

metalgearrising2-720x405.jpg

Last edited:

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
MGR is my favorite platinum game and probably my favorite action game. It's so good. The parrying never got old for me.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
MGR is by far Platinum's best game.

Because when you missed a parry in MGR, it was entirely up to you and not shitty lag in a variable fps game. This made the game way less frustrating.
To be fair, MGR only existed with a framerate more variable than Sekiro's for about a year, where as you can play Sekiro at a solid 60fps from day 1. What made it less frustrating is MGR not being nearly as punishing as Sekiro when you missed that parry.

Last edited:

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...really hits home how heavily Metal Gear Rising inspired Sekiro's combat.
It does?

MGR is much more forgiving in its timing for parries, to the point where parrying is almost an overpowered technique. Sekiro's parrying is much more a game of back and forth than in MGR in most cases, with the added caveat that parrying doesn't simply eliminate most enemies since pretty much every enemy will have movements you can't simply answer by parrying, plus the timing is way more strict.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like MGR's enemy animations are just more readable and obvious than Sekiro's. Sekiro felt like trial and error sometimes because the animation was so fast and several enemies attack with tiny ass weapons/appendages barely visible on screen. I felt like the game was more about pattern recognition rather than just...playing the game. I don't know if that makes sense.

For as long as I live I'll never forget this and Platinum having to play it off like it meant nothing after the Kojima firing. This really would've been Platinum's best game of all time.

metalgearrising2-720x405.jpg

Why u do dis.....

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
It does?

MGR is much more forgiving in its timing for parries, to the point where parrying is almost an overpowered technique. Sekiro's parrying is much more a game of back and forth than in MGR in most cases, with the added caveat that parrying doesn't simply eliminate most enemies since pretty much every enemy will have movements you can't simply answer by parrying, plus the timing is way more strict.
but everything you just said is also true of MGR?
plenty of attacks cant be parried, and while the general timing of parrys is wider perfect parries are way stricter. so if you compare it to sekiros blocking as well as parries it lines up pretty close.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I never knew this. Time to find a copy
It's on sale for less than 10 bucks with some frequency.

PC port is solid minus an issue that locks framerate to 24hz if you're outputting 1080p over HDMI. There's a fan-made solution to this, or you can create a custom resolution of 1920x1079 or similar and it will be fixed.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love MGR. Still replay it to this day.

My love for MGR aside, let's not bullshit: MGR had some shitty framerate issues.

And the Xbox 360 version was more stable than the PS3.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I just want more of both.

So badly.

Then play them again ^_^

But less realistic. The real world has tons of lag and shit. Mostly when you do drugs or are sick. Sekiro prepares you for reality; MGR prepares you to die with a surprised and indignant expression on your face. Would you rather get good or die in real life?

Touha

Oct 27, 2017
This thread just reminds me again how much I want a MGR re-release on PS4..... would love to play it again.

Oct 27, 2017
Man I wish we got a sequel. I could even go for that supposed Grey Fox game that was talked about. I am fine with Raiden being the main character though, he is a badass that earned his status.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been a few years since I played MGR, maybe it's time for a reinstall

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought it was incredible what PG achieved with what little time they were given to bring new life into this doomed project. My one major complaint, aside from not being able to seamlessly change between weapons, is that the difficulty options are totally out of whack.

Been a few years since I last played MGR, gonna have to give it another go around.

fyi MGR's framerate was all over the place on PS3 and 360.

Oct 25, 2017
This game is a treasure, I only like it more and more as time goes on. At first I was disappointed by how basic the combat felt compared to something like DmC, which came out the same year, but MGR's boss fights just never get old.

Armstrong is still the best final boss in gaming, as far as I'm concerned.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
No MGR2 is a shame, but I'm confident Astral Chain will really scratch the Platinum itch this year.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Metal Gear Rising is one of those games that never gets uninstalled, it's such a short and fun ride and once the combat and espcially the parrying clicks with you it's one of the best feeling mechanics.

JigsawPSN

Banned
Apr 11, 2019
i dunno man, Very had and Revengance difficulties felt harder than Sekiro.

but for most of the game yeah.

not in the slightest

if you die to a boss in rising, you can simply try again and learn his patterns. the bosses even have mid-fight checkpoints. maybe this doesnt make rising easier but less frustrating

in sekiro you either have to clear entire rooms before you can try the boss again, or you cheap your way through by save spamming

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro is great but have you ever fought a boss who sends each of his body parts to fight you separately?

Last edited:

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
not in the slightest

if you die to a boss in rising, you can simply try again and learn his patterns. the bosses even have mid-fight checkpoints. maybe this doesnt make rising easier but less frustrating

in sekiro you either have to clear entire rooms before you can try the boss again, or you cheap your way through by save spamming
but thats not what we were talking about? this was about the challenge of these games being satisfying to overcome.
unless you think needless frustration makes for more satisfying victories, which i cant say i do.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
not in the slightest

Save spaming?!...

Which bosses are you talking about though, pretty much every boss fight I can think off had a "bonefire" right before it. Stuff like four bosses/phases in a raw with no save between was annoying though.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
It does?

Yeah, I love MGR but I remember it getting very easy quite quickly once you learned how to deal with red/yellow tells and push forward on the stick/defensive offense

MGR is my preference but Sekiro has this super cool "pacing" to it's fighting where you need to maintain balance between defense and aggression and can get punished for too much of either. MGR let's you go hell for leather (I've beaten Revengeance difficulty)

But easily Platinums best imo and maybe my favourite action title of the last generation. Sequel pls