• Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 881 48.6%

• Total voters
Oct 7, 2020
Italy
header_complete.gif

Release_info_complete.png

Developer: Housemarque
Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
Platforms: PS5
Release date: April 30 2021
Genre: Roguelite shooter

Story_complete.png

The story follows Selene, a Greek-American ASTRA deep space scout who, during one of her missions, disobeys orders for the first time in her carreer to follow the mysterious White shadow broadcast. This will lead her to crash on the planet Atropos, a seemingly sentient and full of hostile fauna celestial body. Here she will discover that, upon death, she will re-experience her crash on the planet leading to a series of loops where Selene will discover the secrets of an ancient civilization and those of her own past.

Characters_complete.png

Selene: Main character of the game, Selene is an intelligent and resourceful ASTRA deep space scout, specialized in space and planetary exploration with an expertise in combat and an avid curiosity for the mysteries of space.

Atropos: Even if it is mainly the setting where the story of Returnal will unfold, Atropos is a character in and of itself with its ever-changing nature, its different biomes (from forests to swamps, barren deserts, snow covered mountains, ancient alien citadels and more) and the secrets that it holds about its past inhabitants.

The Astronaut: Selene is constantly stalked in her dreams and in her visits to a mysterious house that keeps showing up during her exploration of Atropos by an Astronaut wearing a much older suit than her own. Who is this enigmatic figure?

Weapons_complete.png

The game features a number of base weapons that are augmented as you play. For example, the living Spitmaw Blaster weapon starts as a shotgun archetype you all know and love. As you progress, you'll unlock and add on various Weapon Traits, each providing a unique gameplay modifier to the base weapon's behavior. These Weapon Traits are custom tailored for each gun type – so your Spitmaw Blaster might gain exploding shells or generate acid pools upon impact; while the Electropylon Driver might extract extra loot from enemies, or generate shields for the player. These Weapon Traits will also stack, so the combined effects can lead to many surprising results that can have unique advantages and playstyles to explore. Each weapon will also have an alt-fire mode randomly assigned to it from our diverse pool, ranging from the electrical impulses of the Shockstream to the tentacles of the Tendrilpod, and everything in between.

These can be used without ever taking your finger off the trigger using the default control scheme: with the adaptive trigger on the DualSense controller, just press L2 halfway to aim down the sights and use the main fire of your weapon, and squeeze it all the way down to enter your alt-fire mode.

With 10 base weapons, more than 90 Weapon Traits (each with three levels)and 10 alt-fires, there are numerous weapon combinations to test out on your journey.

Enemies_complete.png

Mycomorph: A large fungus-like entity that can launch its own spores which slows down targets movement.
Titanops: Moves fast by lunging and jumping to get into range, where it can maim its target with its bladed limb.
Automaton: In addition to the rapidly firing guns, can use its claws to lash at the target or grab them.
Gorgolith: An ambush predator that lies under the sand. Can use its tail or tongue to lash at its target
Ixion: [NOT FOUND]
Infected scout: [NOT FOUND]
And more

Trailers_complete.png

Trailers playlist:

Housecast playlist:

Screenshots_complete.png

50826660072_63bf845f9f_h.jpg

50827123478_d03a49152f_h.jpg

50827959302_96da96e5a7_h.jpg

50980685812_3ea670a391_k.jpg

returnal-astronaut.jpg

FAQ_complete.png

1. What is Returnal?
Returnal is a third-person shooter featuring roguelike, Metroidvania and bullet-hell elements. Set in a futuristic science fiction setting, the player controls Selene, a space pilot, equipped with a suit and armed with high-tech weapons, who is stranded on an alien planet and stuck in a time loop.

2. Who are Housemarque?
Headquartered in Helsinki, Finland, Housemarque is a game developer working on console and PC. True to our core gamer audience, we prioritize stratified gameplay mechanics and impeccable audiovisual execution to create euphoric gaming experiences.
Housemarque was co-founded in 1995 by Harri Tikkanen and Ilari Kuittinen. Prior to joining forces, Harri and Ilari founded two of Finland's first game development studios – Bloodhouse and Terramarque.Today, Housemarque is one of the most experienced and well-known developers of downloadable games for console platforms, with a successful track record spanning 20+ years. Housemarque has developed arcade hits such as: Super Stardust HD, Resogun, Alienation, Nex Machina, Dead Nation, Matterfall and many others.

3. What is a Roguelike and how does it differ from a Roguelite like Returnal?
Inspired by the game Rogue, Roguelikes are games that have permadeath as a pillar of their game design and make use of procedural generation to ensure that each "Run" (each life basically) is different from the other. Roguelikes also feature inventory management and a big focus on improving your character throughout a run. Roguelites are games that retain certain elements of Roguelikes, but change others like the ability for the player to mantain some degree of progress after each death or being able to move freely between different areas after having beaten their corresponding bosses like in Returnal's case.

4. How does a run work in Returnal?
This IGN video is really useful for it: (374) Returnal: Gameplay Time Loop Explained - YouTube
5. Any technical details?
Returnal runs at a dynamic 4k/60fps and features Ray-Traced Global Illumination and 3D audio support.

Useful Links: Discover eight key ways Returnal pushes design, technology and gameplay boundaries on a new generation of hardware.

Deciphering the narrative-driven procedural horror of Returnal (Interview from Unreal Engine)

Review thread

Housemarque Discord

Many many thanks to Joule for allowing me to make this and for the suggestions, to Hey Please for the gifs, to Jawbreaker for the OT title, to Nagito for the closing picture and to my brother for the massive help with graphics and formatting.

Returnal_OT_test_2.png

Last edited:

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Returnal was the friends we made along the Returnal was the friends we made along the

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Unexpected OT title... I like it, though!

Great OP for one of the most exciting games of 2021. Can't wait for Friday to arrive.

Elog

Oct 21, 2020
Amazing OT - well written! Looking forward stepping onto Atropos when kids are asleep on Friday :)

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
The only thing i'm concerned about is progression and power up, i saw users talking about how it wasn't very good.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Those screenshots look amazing. Can't wait!

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Returnal.gif

This is gonna be so fucking good. I wasn't originally going to get it (at least not right away at full price) but all the recent footage and previews have powered the hype so much that it's looking like the game will be worth every penny.

Love the aesthetics of this game too and how unique it is.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Great OT!

i am absolutely excited for this game, can´t wait to finally play it. Nex Machina is one of my favourite games and Returnal looks like some sort of 3D Nex Machina and more.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great OT! Thanks for the effort. Also the best OT title won.
I've been way too hype for this game since the preview thread and it's been a struggle not to constantly consume every little bit of media for the game. Got three weeks off from work so I can't wait to get lost in this game

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
👁️🔫👾💀⚰️👁️🔫👾💀⚰️👁️🔫👾💀⚰️

It's so close noowwwwww

Nov 21, 2017
Great OT! This is, without a doubt, my most anticipated release of the year. I love the aesthetics, the smoothness. I absolutely can't wait to experience the DualSense haptic feedback shenanigans. It's by a finnish studio whose games I have enjoyed greatly in the past ( RESOGUN <3 ). Only a few more days!

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
W00t, I was just wondering when the OT would go up. Great work OP :)

I'm on a media blackout at this point and I can't wait to sink my teeth into this game :D

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
How hard is it, I'm not the best at these types of games and really don't fancy the struggle especially at the price point

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
How hard is it, I'm not the best at these types of games and really don't fancy the struggle especially at the price point

Some have said it's legitimately hard and some have said that it isn't that hard.

So very much YMMV and if you aren't experienced with rogulites and/or bullethells it could end up at harder end as experience.