Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Publisher Big Sugar and developer BerserkBoy Games have announced retro-inspired 2D action platformer Berserk Boy for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC. It will launch in Q4 2022.

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:

About
In the distant future…
Driven insane by his obsession with Berserk Force Orbs, the diabolical Dr. Genos and his army of Dark Energy minions wage war on the people of Earth. Hope for all humanity rests with The Resistance, but are they enough? As the battle begins, a new hero joins the fight…
Kei, a young, inexperienced rookie, is transformed by mysterious Orb energy into BERSERK BOY! As the shadow of evil looms ever larger, Kei knows he must use his new powers to defeat Dr. Genos and save the planet. Because when all else fails, there is only one thing for it… GO BERSERK!
Key Features
  • Change Into Different Berserk Forms – Merge with the five Berserk Force Orbs—Lightning, Fire, Earth, Air, and Ice—and absorb their unique abilities!
  • Go Berserk! – Chain together combos to fill your Berserk Meter and trigger a form's special attack! Upgrade and become even more powerful!
  • Explore New Hope City and Beyond – Jump, dash, slam, and slide through multiple sprawling stages! Find alternate paths and hidden collectibles!
  • A Modern Adventure with a Retro Feel – Slick and stylish platforming action inspired by a love for the genre greats! Play for big scores and fast times!
  • Music by Sonic Mania Composer Tee Lopes – Full original soundtrack pumping with high-energy 16-bit nostalgia! Enjoy the beats as you Go Berserk!

BerserkBoy_SteamGIF01.gif

www.gematsu.com

Retro-inspired 2D action platformer Berserk Boy announced for PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC

Publisher Big Sugar and developer BerserkBoy Games have announced retro-inspired 2D action platformer Berserk Boy for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC. It will la…

Looks like a mix of Mega Man, Gunvolt, and many more, it really looks amazing! And a new soundtrack by tee lopes is always welcome!

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Character designs aside, game has some serious Inti Creates-era Mega Man vibes.

It plays like the kind of game Mighty No 1 was advertising itself as being.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I only read retro inspired 2 D action platformer Beserk and got really excited, this really pretty rad though.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah lol I've been seeing this forever on indie game twitter. Sick they got a proper annoucement

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Looks gorgeous, and right up my alley.

I'll be looking forward to it.

I remember seeing this last year at during a 3-day indie game Twitch charity stream and it was a standout that night! Glad to see it has a publisher, a Steam page, and is actually coming to consoles! Day 1 whenever it releases!

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Really down on the art style but gameplay looks great, and its clear there's passion behind it.

I never got into the Gunvolt games, I dislike score chasing. Didn't like the ranking system in MMZ either.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Fuck Big Sugar.
Glad this game is releasing finally.

The combat is like Viewtful Joe and Sonic combined.
Demo was really great. Level design bangs.

Wishlisted it on Switch.
Day 1 buy easily for me. Easiest $20 I'll spend this year.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if there is a newer thread. i searched and this was all that popped up.

Been following this for ages and grabbed it last night. Gonna dive in after work. The music and art is so good - hope it plays well too!

Nov 7, 2022
Capitalizing "Retro" in this thread's title got me excited before I remembered how to read.

This game look rad, though.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
To save the time of anyone else who got excited by the title, it looks like it's currently only on PC / Switch. :(

j_z

Feb 14, 2019
Aww dang was just about to wishlist. I hate this trend of putting all consoles in the trailer and then it doesn't launch on all of them.

This thread is old, there was a disagreement between the developer and the publisher. The developer got the rights back to their game and self published it. I would assume they would port the game to other consoles in the future but they are a small team.