DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
So due to movie rights, Marvel was trying to move away from mutant stuff and they tried to replace the X-men with Inhumans with some dumb comic book storylines that were just urgh. Honestly, Inhumans failing made me so satisfied plus Ike sucks ass. Anyway, this was one of the worst moments in Marvel History honestly

ShotyMcFat

Oct 29, 2017
Well in the end it worked out for them since Disney bought Fox and got all the movie licenses back.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Yes I remember when they tried to turn Cyclops into a "mutant Hitler" for the horrific crime of......destroying one part of a planet roaming inhuman cloud that kills mutants.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've been reading comics for twenty something years and the Inhumans have always been bafflingly uninteresting. So it was very strange seeing Marvel try to substitute them with their most interesting property.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The Inhumans are dope and deserved better, but so did the X-Men at the time. It was all bullshit really. Sucks the F4 had to go as well but at least Ben and Johnny showed up in other books.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
That tv show was so bad.

medusa-marvel-inhumans-abc-hair-header.jpg

dang0

Oct 28, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
Eh, to be honest I liked that era of inhuman comics more then most X men stuff I read. That being said, the whole Inhumans vs Xmen thing was so stupid from a PR angle.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
They clearly weren't serious about replacing the X-Men or they wouldn't have gone with the low-budget poorly planned tv series. While the X-Men were going through a low at the time, I saw it as them trying to drum up interest in one of their lesser known properties because they are always looking for more teats to squeeze, particularly now that Disney owns them. Same thing is happening now with Eternals.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
heh, I liked it. It's a shame it was at the expense of the Xmen though.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
Yes I remember when they tried to turn Cyclops into a "mutant Hitler" for the horrific crime of......destroying one part of a planet roaming inhuman cloud that kills mutants.

Man it was such a sight to see Marvel desperately attempt to quadruple down on the "nonono, Cyclops was totally supposed to be the heel" when the kicker was he wasn't even the one to destroy the terrigen cloud, It was Emma Frost using a psychic projection of Scott becuase he had already died because of the mist.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Man it was such a sight to see Marvel desperately attempt to quadruple down on the "nonono, Cyclops was totally supposed to be the heel" when the kicker was he wasn't even the one to destroy the terrigen cloud, It was Emma Frost using a psychic projection of Scott becuase he had already died because of the mist.
Cyclops is the most powerful comic book character for beating editorials constant attempts at character assassination, he was just too Right.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Cyclops is the most powerful comic book character for beating editorials constant attempts at character assassination, he was just too Right.
What's abundantly clear about that whole situation is that it came down from editorial that Cyclops had done something awful and all writers had to throw him under the bus but no-one had decided what his actual crime was. Eventually they had to finally establish what Cyclops had done to be called Hitler by characters on page. And it was destroying a poisonous gas cloud.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
Was that the show where the bad guy overthrew the royal rulers to make a more equal society?
Because like with Stargirl the bad guy was right.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm would it be better if Ms Marvel was a mutant? Or too much baggage i'm thinking.

Feb 24, 2018
At least it gave us Ms Marvel, I s'pose.
From what I've heard from the behind the scenes, Kamala was in the works before all that happened, it's possible if that hadn't happened, she would have been a mutant. That being said, the Nuhumans are the best thing to come out of it.

I don't like the Inhuman Royal Family, well not as heroes anyway because besides Crystal, they really come across (Black Bolt especially) more like villains or barely heroic like Namor. I think people and Marvel's (aka Ike Perlmutter) attempt to make them, former slavers, isolationists, elitist, nearly all white etc as analogies for underrepresented people like X-Men (who don't really work most of them for that either to be honest) just didn't work at all doubled with the awful X-Men vs Inhumans thing, especially giving it started with Black Bolt committing a terrorist attack, forcefully turning people into inhumans without their consent and making the mutants infertile... Like how do you make that side look good or in the "right" after that?

All that being said, I do feel sorry for fans of Inhumans during all of this, makes me wonder if Ike hadn't forcefully pushed them as much as he did would reception nowadays been better or had better works made for them and it did sound they were improving the stuff with the Royal family... Until this happened after Marvel got the movie rights back:

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the recent Karnak series, but can understand people having issues with it both due to the actions of Warren Ellis and the overall tone of it.

I feel that Black Bolt as a member of the Avengers (MCU or otherwise) has potential since he represents a different kind of character to what is usually seen due to his status as a king to his people. For myself the representation of T'Challa as King of Wakanda was some of the most impactful and heartfelt story telling in Black Panther, and with the possibility of seeing Namor in the future or another monarch from Marvel I'd be interested to see what could be done with a genuinely thoughtful telling of the story of Black Bolt.

Trying to replace mutants and the overall mythology of the X-Men with Inhumans was clearly flawed from the get-go. That's not to say that there isn't potential in the Inhuman royal family or the wider group, given the right creator with the right kind of creative freedom a really impactful and genuine story could be realised in print or on the screen.

Off the top of my head the story of the Inhuman royal family itself could be framed in the context of a Shakespearean tragedy. Let's just make sure that there are no scenes where anyone gets hit with a nightstick.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I agree that the obvious plot to downplay the X-Men and kind of making the Inhumans replace that void was dumb. Giving the Inhumans more of a focus though is not bad in my opinion.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

It was really amazing to see Scott Buck, the guy responsible for this shit and the first terrible season of Iron Fist, flat out say "Yeah we cut Medusa's hair because we didn't have money and fuck it."

There was absolutely a way to propel the Inhumans without shoving the X-Men in the corner, and legit sterilizing them in the story, but Marvel was pushing them for YEARS. The Inhumans aren't the X-Men and they shouldn't be treated as such, especially in the shit way that Marvel tried to.

Jun 6, 2018
So due to movie rights, Marvel was trying to move away from mutant stuff and they tried to replace the X-men with Inhumans with some dumb comic book storylines that were just urgh. Honestly, Inhumans failing made me so satisfied plus Ike sucks ass. Anyway, this was one of the worst moments in Marvel History honestly

this is very well timed for the mr Sunday movies video that just came out haha

inhumans is just such a boring concept, marvel has been pretty good at making meh-tier characters more appealing on screen but when Feige is even against doing it then you know it's pointless

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
It was really amazing to see Scott Buck, the guy responsible for this shit and the first terrible season of Iron Fist, flat out say "Yeah we cut Medusa's hair because we didn't have money and fuck it."

There was absolutely a way to propel the Inhumans without shoving the X-Men in the corner, and legit sterilizing them in the story, but Marvel was pushing them for YEARS. The Inhumans aren't the X-Men and they shouldn't be treated as such, especially in the shit way that Marvel tried to.

Wow the same dude who ran this show also ran iron fist. What a way too make pretty much the only two bad pieces of media from the MCU. Jesus

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

I mean, the real reason they pushed the Inhumans was because Marvel didn't own the movie rights to the X-Men - so they essentially tried to downplay and sabotage them in the comics, while boosting the Inhumans to be their Marvel-controlled stand-ins. Probably the same reason Fantastic Four got sidelined.

Then they bought Fox, and that plan became irrelevant. Which was a good thing, because that limited series show was garbage, and was basically the death of any hope of the Inhumans taking the place of the X-Men in the film universe, lol.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Wow the same dude who ran this show also ran iron fist. What a way too make pretty much the only two bad pieces of media from the MCU. Jesus

Also the same dude who was showrunner for the last three seasons of Dexter, which were awful. He never should have gotten the gig to begin with, let alone TWO of them.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I mean that was just a few years ago right?

The best thing Inhumans did was burn down Ike Perlmutter.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
The series is the one big misstep, I've heard of all the background noise and it still sucks they gave us that shitty series instead of a feature film. Not the biggest Inhumans fan but Black Bolt is definitely one of my favorites and he and everyone else was butchered.

Can't have a guy who could defeat the Avengers with a cough look so bad.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
There were people, that post on this forum, defending Marvel's actions at the time because they're incapable of not fanboying for them

Oct 31, 2017
I think the real reason the movie got cancelled was because Feige wanted to respect the original material and Perlmutter wanted an X-Men replacement. Add that to the whole drama about Perlmutter not wanting to pay RDJ for Civil War and Feige saying he was gonna quit only for Iger to step in and get Feige out from under Perlmutter and reporting directly to Alan Horn and you have a cancellation of the movie. Perlmutter then went to Loeb and mandated the show. Loeb went to Scott Buck, who is known to get anything out at a low budget and horrible quality, and the rest is history.

Luckily the inhumans seem to be getting a proper introduction soon with Ms. Marvel. They have an interesting lore that needs to be explored in the MCU.

cowtools

Jul 20, 2020
Canada
I mean it was bad because that was the editorial mandate it seems.

There was a lot of great talent behind the inhumans push, and on those x-men books from that era.

The inhumans are just too weird to be the stand in for "hated and feared," class of the MU, and the X storylines were mostly rehashes of concepts barely a decade old (198 again!) that nobody really loved to begin with.

There's a lot of good inhumans out there, and those characters definitely belong (Medusa rules, I don't care what some dumb show had to do with her) in the greater MU and potentially the MCU, but I think it missed its mark because of corporate square peg, round holing.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Such a strange era of marvel. Has the story ever come out about why Inhumans turned from a movie into a tv series? Since that was when marvel tv and movies were under different Umbrellas I'd imagine there was quite a behind the scenes struggle.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
I'll take it a step further- not only was that comics edict a massive mistake, doing the Eternals instead of bringing in the mutants will be a huge misstep as well.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This shit is like if Marvel gave up on the film rights to Spider-Man and tried to make Speedball into their biggest hero.

The Inhumans aren't bad characters but they're already a hard sell with their own backstory, and a much, much harder one if you try to make them diet Mutants and an even harder one if you then explicitly position them against the globally popular X-Men.