apocat

Oct 27, 2017
That's cool. I've had some issues with my Virtual Boy, and just having the option to revisit those titles in a way that preserves the 3D effect is nice.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Virtual boy fans rejoice!

df09e83201ef3d71d2f5652c4d353ce7.gif

but hey at least one futureproof way of playing vb wario land i guess

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty cool, too bad this wasn't an official thing. A big missed opportunity for Nintendo to redeem the Virtual Boy somehow.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The internet is pretty cool sometimes, I really need to stop being lazy and hack my new 3ds xl.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i was hoping nintendo would do something like this in the 3DS' heyday (i actually liked the virtual boy - "dozens of us!")

i probably can't be arsed with downloading this (like i havent touched my 3DS in 5 years) but good to know it exists i guess

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally I can try out Jack Bros!

I actually still have the Virtual Boy from when I was a kid but that game got waaaay too pricey to buy an authentic copy of.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Good news is that you don't have to stop being lazy, it's basically two clicks
I still wanna check out Virtual Boy stuff on the Quest.

I did it to my regular 3DS XL (so I could keep my "New" one clean) and it's so simple.
I've done far more complicated things then hacking a 3ds, I meant true lazy like actually getting the 3ds and my laptop together and taking the 15 minutes to do it.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I did it to my regular 3DS XL (so I could keep my "New" one clean) and it's so simple.
Hacking the New 3DS allows you to overclock the CPU in games that don't support it natively. It's not useful all that often but I very much appreciate it when it helps. For example, it eliminates the menu latency in Dragon Quest 7 and 8.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Now everyone can play Jack Bros and wonder why the fuck that game is $1000

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
Hacking the New 3DS allows you to overclock the CPU in games that don't support it natively. It's not useful all that often but I very much appreciate it when it helps. For example, it eliminates the menu latency in Dragon Quest 7 and 8.

This makes sense. I don't know why I'm that bothered it's not like I'll lose out by hacking the New 3DS as the store and online stuff doesn't exist anymore.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Well shit. Will have to try this out.

Why are there buttons on the touch screen?

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
This is incredible. It's so cool to see people figuring out how to make games from such specific hardware available again somehow.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
This is rad. The 3D totally works, and you can also adjust the color to make games any color / black+white, if you don't wanna stare down the red glow.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Well, thanks for the heads-up! I gave it a go and it really is amazing that this console even released. The effect is "all right" but the red color scheme make it really unpleasant to play, even out of the headset. And the games themselves are super shallow and barebones. Wario is okay though.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Well, thanks for the heads-up! I gave it a go and it really is amazing that this console even released. The effect is "all right" but the red color scheme make it really unpleasant to play, even out of the headset. And the games themselves are super shallow and barebones. Wario is okay though.
The pause menu lets you change the color scheme! I've found grey or green is way less straining on the eyes.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Fans does what Nintendon't

lack of 3DS Virtual Console for Virtual Boy was the biggest omission of 3DS library

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
If this works on the citra port in the quest 3, that would be pretty nifty.
There are a few VB emulators on Sidequest, I think this is the one I've tried:

sidequestvr.com

VirtualBoyGo on SideQuest - Oculus Quest Games & Apps including AppLab Games ( Oculus App Lab )

Virtual Boy emulator for the Oculus Quest.The roms (.vb, .vboy or .bin file) need to be placed inside the /Roms/VB/ folder.Video Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Rqz4j5bQc

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
That's awesome, always great to see classic titles made available on newer hardware. It's especially good in this case given the whole 3D aspect.