• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

username.ymt

Nov 15, 2017
As far as the trailer discussion
goes. Many of the assets and technical features in the original trailer still exist in the game. Again, the issue is that a lot of settings in the game files were reduced to almost comical degrees. A poignant example is this. The feature of giving random pedestrians a probability of putting their hands up and begging for their life is still in the game. It was just turned off. Like a switch. Here is what it looks like with the switch turned on.

And the same goes for a LOT of other shit.

Deleted member 42221

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I'm not sold yet on the story. Seems like a bunch of western cliches with no narrative element strong enough to hook me. Then again, I was lukewarm on God of War's story in trailers before I played it, so I'd love to be proven wrong.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sold yet on the story. Seems like a bunch of western cliches with no narrative element strong enough to hook me. Then again, I was lukewarm on God of War's story in trailers before I played it, so I'd love to be proven wrong.

The GTAV story is a convoluted mess but it doesn't overly detract from the game. The excellent world building will be the real story again.

Rave_norris

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Why even put out a trailer like this? The other one was better. Guess it wont stand a change against GOW for goty.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
You're getting utterly confused on this, so it's quite funny to act as if I'm the one getting mixed up here. Let me break it down for you.

The early trailers for GTA V looked very nice, along with very fancy screenshots. Then around 2 months before release on last-gen consoles, they released a gameplay trailer, showing a significant graphical downgrade compared to the older trailers. So they're presenting the game as it would eventually look on last-gen consoles.

Current-gen version comes out, looks significantly better than last-gen versions, and much closer to those early trailers.

There, all cleared up?
lol

Which the early trailers are false advertising for the original releases.
Which you said looked like next gen consoles.
Which didnt come out for another year and the next gen versions of GTAV werent ever announced.
Which means they blatantly lied in the trailers, like most game companies do.
Which is my entire point from the beginning.

Here is an easier representation without having cross gen as an issue, because honeslty, it seems like Microsoft can fix my issue with the marketing lies with their BC emulation

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Why even put out a trailer like this? The other one was better. Guess it wont stand a change against GOW for goty.

yes im sure that this can be accurately be judged based on a few trailers with no gameplay
oh my god, and anyway, who the fuck cares? God of War and RDR could not be any further from eachother. This forums obsession with metacritic scores and goty awards is just really childish.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol

Which the early trailers are false advertising for the original releases.
Which you said looked like next gen consoles.
Which didnt come out for another year and the next gen versions of GTAV werent ever announced.
Which means they blatantly lied in the trailers, like most game companies do.
Which is my entire point from the beginning.

Here is an easier representation without having cross gen as an issue, because honeslty, it seems like Microsoft can fix my issue with the marketing lies with their BC emulation

You're just being wilfully obtuse at this point. As I've already explained, instead of it being a case of "Lol Rockstar made trailers with fake graphics and CGI", it's most likely that the game had to be downgraded over time to run well on the hardware. The fact that those early trailer visuals are achievable on current-gen hardware proves my initial point, which is that the game likely did look that good on last-gen before they had to make cutbacks. Even with the inferior graphics, the last-gen version still runs like dogshit. It'd be unplayable if it looked as it did in 2011. And you're still ignoring the fact that they released a gameplay trailer several months before release showing off the final look, which negates the basic idea of Rockstar being this actively malicious entity that was trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

If Rockstar was really trying to deceive everyone, do you seriously think they'd have shown how the final game ended up looking months before release? Especially when you consider how reserved they are with regards to showing off actual gameplay for all of their games.

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
I knew what to expect, but I was still expecting more. Oddly enough. I still think the game will blow me away at launch though.

Oct 25, 2017
As far as the trailer discussion
goes. Many of the assets and technical features in the original trailer still exist in the game. Again, the issue is that a lot of settings in the game files were reduced to almost comical degrees. A poignant example is this. The feature of giving random pedestrians a probability of putting their hands up and begging for their life is still in the game. It was just turned off. Like a switch. Here is what it looks like with the switch turned on.

And the same goes for a LOT of other shit.

Interesting I don't want to put you to any extra work, but do you have any other example videos of anything like this? Cause that's really cool.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know trailer wasn't great but the story so far looks like another Red Dead game which is cool. I don't attach Red Dead Redemption with having like a particularly interesting or inventive plot it was just well told and had a solid lead character which is really all you need in most cases. I've got faith will get the same thing here.

username.ymt

Nov 15, 2017
To me the true power of a new Rockstar title lies in the ability to mod the game. Just like with Skyrim and Fall Out 4, the base game is merely the beginning of the adventure.

And if vanilla GTA V can look like this, with no ENB or Reshade, only a lot of timecycle edits, I can't even imagine how jawdroppingly impressive RDR2 might end up looking

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
You're just being wilfully obtuse at this point. As I've already explained, instead of it being a case of "Lol Rockstar made trailers with fake graphics and CGI", it's most likely that the game had to be downgraded over time to run well on the hardware. The fact that those early trailer visuals are achievable on current-gen hardware proves my initial point, which is that the game likely did look that good on last-gen before they had to make cutbacks. Even with the inferior graphics, the last-gen version still runs like dogshit. It'd be unplayable if it looked as it did in 2011. And you're still ignoring the fact that they released a gameplay trailer several months before release showing off the final look, which negates the basic idea of Rockstar being this actively malicious entity that was trying to pull the wool over our eyes.
Homie, you keep saying it, but you're not getting to the right conclusion. Most game developers do this. At the old place, people were saying exactly what you are with Uncharted 4, the game looks fine, the reveal trailer versus what is actually on the disc are two different things. False advertising.

I'm gonna show you a trailer for a movie at 4k but you gotta watch the dvd version of it on a 13 inch crt on a VCR.

"It'll look good on hardware that comes out in 5 years tho!"

That's called false advertising.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Looks amazing but I just don't like the facial animation. Looks like their faces are made of plasticine or something.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Homie, you keep saying it, but you're not getting to the right conclusion. Most game developers do this. At the old place, people were saying exactly what you are with Uncharted 4, the game looks fine, the reveal trailer versus what is actually on the disc are two different things. False advertising.

I'm gonna show you a trailer for a movie at 4k but you gotta watch the dvd version of it on a 13 inch crt on a VCR.

"It'll look good on hardware that comes out in 5 years tho!"

That's called false advertising.
It's false advertising if the game didn't actually look like that at the time they released the trailer, homie. For all you know, the game probably did look like that good on Rockstar's devkits.
And your analogy is laughable. A more accurate one would be "We showed you a trailer for a movie in 4k 2 years ago, but, before we release the movie in a few months, here's a new trailer that shows how it looks now due to various concessions and optimizations that had to be done".

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Is this the first time a Rockstar marketing campaign backfires? Like, this one had the ways to be THE game, and the general concensus seems to be "OK, I guess"

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
It's false advertising if the game didn't actually look like that at the time they released the trailer, homie. For all you know, the game probably did look like that good on Rockstar's devkits.
And your analogy is laughable. It's more like "We showed you a trailer for a movie at 4k 2 years ago, but now, before we release the movie in a few months, here's how it looks now due to various concessions and optimizations that had to be done".
THAT'S STILL FALSE ADVERTISING.

Why do you think game companies have to put "actual gameplay footage" "does not represent gameplay footage" in their trailers now? Why do you think Watch Dogs 1 and 2 got shit on by the gaming community as a whole?

BECAUSE THE TRAILERS WERENT WHAT WAS ACTUALLY ON DISK

You're clearly a WWE fan, have you watched a WWE2k video game trailer, versus actually playing the game?
The game CAN look like what it does in the trailers, it DOESNT look like that on current gen consoles.

False advertising. They all do it.
I'm done here if you can't get it through your head.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
THAT'S STILL FALSE ADVERTISING.

Why do you think game companies have to put "actual gameplay footage" "does not represent gameplay footage" in their trailers now? Why do you think Watch Dogs 1 and 2 got shit on by the gaming community as a whole?

BECAUSE THE TRAILERS WERENT WHAT WAS ACTUALLY ON DISK

You're clearly a WWE fan, have you watched a WWE2k video game trailer, versus actually playing the game?
The game CAN look like what it does in the trailers, it DOESNT look like that on current gen consoles.

False advertising. They all do it.
I'm done here if you can't get it through your head.
No, it's not. Posting in all caps doesn't make your point any stronger. If they kept making trailers up to the release of the last-gen version with those old 2011 visuals, you'd have a point. But they didn't, so you don't.
Stopped bothering with the WWE games a while back, so no, not very familiar with their trailers. The "actual gameplay footage" thing has been around since before GTA V. See Rainbow Six Patriots, for instance.
maxresdefault.jpg

And yeah, let's stop here. You're clearly unwilling (or unable) to absorb any information that might contradict the weird hate-boner that you have for Rockstar. Presumably you got burned when buying the original game without informing yourself of how it looked in 2013, not 2011 lol. There's plenty of reasons to shit on Rockstar, like their terrible, microtransaction-infested multiplayer mode, their treatment of their employees, or their attempts to shut down the modding community. But this really isn't one of them.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
And yeah, let's stop here. You're clearly unwilling (or unable) to absorb any information that might contradict the weird hate-boner that you have for Rockstar. Presumably you got burned when buying the original game without informing yourself of how it looked in 2013, not 2011 lol..
And there's the defense force part of your posts you were leaving out.

Arcadia

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
England
Characters and dialogue were pretty poor, disappointing trailer.

Still got high hopes, but expectations have just gone down a notch.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
And there's the complete lack of any coherent argument/point in your posts, which has been present all along.
You mean the posts where I disctintly said this game will be fun despite the false advertising, and where I criticize the other game devs in the industry for doing the same thing?

Or the post where you say I have a hate boner for one of my favorite devs?

But hey, coherency and not being able to follow your own points on the same page seem to be your thing, so I'll leave you with this

RUSEV DAY!

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty uneventful but it illustrates that they still are nailing the aesthetic and atmosphere. Regardless I'd blind buy this game day 1 so I'm not too worried about what trailers do and don't show. My one issue so far is how vanilla the player character looks from a design standpoint. There's just nothing remarkable about his look.

Oct 26, 2017
Characters and dialogue were pretty poor, disappointing trailer.

Still got high hopes, but expectations have just gone down a notch.

I'm actually warming up to the characters now. Where I thought Arthur was a asshole in trailer 2 I'm starting to see his good side here and I like that.

I do hope we get some hilarious characters like West Dickens and Seth in here. It really shouldn't all be so serious constantly. Should be OK.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the posts where I disctintly said this game will be fun despite the false advertising, and where I criticize the other game devs in the industry for doing the same thing?

Or the post where you say I have a hate boner for one of my favorite devs?

But hey, coherency and not being able to follow your own points on the same page seem to be your thing, so I'll leave you with this

RUSEV DAY!
Oh, the irony.
17306%20-%20Raw%20autoplay_gif%20daniel_bryan%20gif%20neck_brace%20wwe.gif

Also, "criticizing other devs for doing the same thing" and "saying the game will be fun", aren't really coherent arguments, more just standard observations/opinions. But nice of you to cherry pick the one thing I said that apparently offends you so much. What a waste of time arguing with someone like you. Literally, this has been time I could've spent on something far more interesting/fulfilling. Guess that's another one for the ignore list.

Last edited:

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Is this the first time a Rockstar marketing campaign backfires? Like, this one had the ways to be THE game, and the general concensus seems to be "OK, I guess"

I think it being a prequel doesn't help. That and knowing some of the bits and pieces from the past that were laid out in the first RDR in regards to John Marston. I doubt we are getting another MGS 2 character switch, but having John in there but playing as someone else sort of detracts any sense of interest in the main character, at least for me. All of this is just where i'm at after all of the trailers.

Last edited:

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Backfires? Where, here? I wouldn't put too much stock in what the more vocal opponents in here are saying, especially where it concerns what everyone outside this bubble thinks.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
I think you're giving Spiderman too much credit. I'm sure it's gonna do well, but I will be surprised if it reaches the heights of GoW or RDR.
I hear you.

But dont underestimate what Insomniac can deliver....I kept upping God of War on here before the hype train really got rolling because SSM had something to prove...and boy did they deliver..

Insomniac have some serious pedigree and Im very confident they wont dissapoint...

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Kind of a pointless trailer really. Doesn't show anything new. Just random shots of people riding and characters talking vaguely and out of context. I really thought they would show some gameplay this time.
Why make a new trailer that shows nothing?

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
Pretty cool trailer. Still need to see some gameplay. While I enjoyed GTA5 and RDR, the gunplay has always prevented them from being top tier games for me. Hoping to see something soon that shows they have made improvements in that department.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
To me the true power of a new Rockstar title lies in the ability to mod the game. Just like with Skyrim and Fall Out 4, the base game is merely the beginning of the adventure.

And if vanilla GTA V can look like this, with no ENB or Reshade, only a lot of timecycle edits, I can't even imagine how jawdroppingly impressive RDR2 might end up looking

holy shit!

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like this trailer. Showing just 20-30 seconds of gameplay would've of been perfect. I didn't like the first ones combat and I didn't like gtav's combat either. Both of those games played like crap in my opinion. Max Payne 3 had glorious controls & gunplay I want to know if it's like that. They revealed the game in October of 2016. Story trailers are useless.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017

It's always overcast skies and wet night streets with these mod videos. If it doesn't handle sunny beaches well, I don't want it.