Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Being negative about RDR2 is fun and all but lets look at some positives. Besides the awesome story and characters, one thing that truly stood out for me with RDR2 is how alive the game world feels. It's like nothing I've experienced before.

Unlike most other games there is actually stuff happening even if you just put down the controller, it does have trigger areas for missions just like other games but there is stuff going on even when there are no baddies to kill before you enter the next trigger area. I tried to play it with my kids at first since my daughter loves horses and I thought it would be fun to play it peacefully and take care of the horse and go out on a ride and maybe fish etc. But nope, I quickly got the feeling that anything can happen in this world, at any time, and there is no safe way to choose to play peacefully, stuff will happen in this world no matter if you want it or not.

Compare it to Gears of War 4, God of War, Uncharted 4 or just about any other big budget action game, there the game world is literally paused until you trigger the next enemy wave, nothing happens, at all, well maybe some water is moving or the clouds, usually you don't even have a day and night cycle.

Even GOAT Zelda Breath of the Wild seems paper thin regarding living things in the world compared to RDR2, it's still better than many games but it's quite telling that they had to invent the blood moon mechanic to reset the world so it doesn't feel completely dead when you've killed a bunch of enemy camps.

The norm today seems to be to have a pretty world of nothing combined with trigger areas for enemy waves. The game worlds are basically dead. If you don't reach a trigger point for the next enemy wave then nothing will happen. Most games just have the enemies going into two different modes, either go on with their preprogrammed walk in the same 50 by 50 meter area until the end of time, or rush out to attack. It's rare to see enemies that seem to live in the world if you watch them from a distance. Maybe some poor shop owner will stand somewhere day and night with no customer hoping for you to buy something. We usually have NPCs that pretends that you're air and say nothing at all or actually notice you but quickly say the same repeated line over and over, if we're lucky they walk around a bit but it's not uncommon to see them stand at the same spot forever like the trainers in Pokémon.

From this perspective RDR2 honestly makes many other games seem rushed and old school. It's not that I'm saying RDR2 is perfect, it has tons of faults we've already talked about in many other threads. But the game world itself really feels alive in RDR2. And I find it really neat that you can approach and greet every single one in a city, no matter how unimportant they are to the protagonist. Even a random dog can be your friend for the moment if you want, without giving anything important back from some scripted bonding event. And your gang members will go about their daily routines, go to sleep, talk to you without actually doing it just to trigger a new mission, food will be slowly prepared and cooked with lots of care by Pearson and served when it's ready and not a second earlier, etc.
I stayed up all night at a camp party just to see what happened and it just kept on evolving, people went to bed, other stayed up too long and got too drunk, some were talking, some were singing, etc. Next day some talk to you about the party last night while others were just going on with life as usual. It all feels wonderfully nonscripted and believable.

Then we have the wild life, I can't think if any other game with the same width of life in a game world, hunting and fishing is like a game within the game, extremely detailed even though it's completely unimportant (except for a few missions).

Anyway, it's really amazing when you start thinking about how they've managed to program it all, sure it took them many years to make but so does most other games as well without even getting close to what R* achieved with RDR2.

It may not be the best open world game but it has to be among the best open worlds gaming has ever seen, and that's something worth talking about I think.

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. The context depth is both Red Dead Redemption 2's greatest strength, but also contributes to its greatest weakness (how easily the world turns against you among a myriad of potential actions).

Overall, it's a grand accomplishment, that I'm glad got the sales and recognition behind it. I could easily accept it as someone's favorite open world seeing that many titles feel static in comparison.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely agree, the level of interaction (hunting, emergent ai, world reaction to you, the accurate flight or fight behaviour of animals) and detail has made every other world seem quite dead and static, I mean I take time out just to trot along amidst the dense foliage and observe the world live without me doing a thing to influence any of it.

It's a remarkable achievement in world design and detail, and it'll be a long time until any game comes close to achieve what RDR2 has. I'd go as far to say it's perhaps the most spectacular simulation of a living world in all of entertainment, I can't think of one experience in digital form that compares. You feel as a participator in its world, not the sole reason for it, it continues to exist beyond your time with it.

This is a fascinating read; birder finds joy and despair in a realistic portrayal of wildlife in the pre-conservation era

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Kudos on a positive RDR2 topic for once. I agree. And I'd like to specifically praise the game for probably being the only 3D AAA ever that has a real sense of time passing in an open world (not talking about day/night cycles, talking months and years passing).

You have houses and Blackwater being built up, trees being cut down, rail lines being finished, Beacher's Hope being built up, camps being put up and tore down, the reservation being deserted, graves being put up for the dead, the Kerosene and Tar Company falling into disrepair, corpses rotting, and much, much more. It actually makes the game world seem like there is more to time passing than day and night and that's a huge leap forward in gaming.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really miss the dinamic stranger system , made the horrible mistake of playing Odyssey after RDR2

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I played Origins and Odyssey after RDR2 and I didn't really feel that way so I disagree, it's nice sure but it isn't gonna take my enjoyment out of other games as that's not what they are aiming for.

Fina1e

Oct 27, 2017
It was the first game I have played in a long time where the main character completely carries the game due largely to the points you made.

Rockstar killed it with this game, the attention to detail and the work they put in really shows. It's one of the few open world games this gen where I feel like I'm right in the protagonist's shoes and taking in the world around me, there's no fourth wall, uncanny valley, nothing.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I found a lot of RDR2's detail superfluous, honestly. It didn't really feel like it impacted how I interacted with the world, as compared to other games, except perhaps the camp (where I would meander around). It was impressive but not to the extent where I felt differently about other games.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's mostly smoke and mirrors but then again every game is and RDR 2 gives off the best illusion of a "living breathing" world. A lot of it is by sheer brute force though due to the resources and time Rockstar can afford unlike basically any other developer. I just can't see anyone else having the ability to create the amount of unique content to litter the world with even if they wanted to due to budget and time constraints.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I put in another 15 hours or so after the epilogue. It's because the world is that good. Every npc encounter feels like they're carrying out an actual routine that carries no matter where you are in the world.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah I'm really nervous about the next open-world game I'm going to be playing, it's going to be hard to go back to the standard level of quality. RDR2 has termendously upped the bar when it comes to exploration and interaction with the world.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The random encounters were so good. It made travelling from point to point actually interesting.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm replaying Uncharted 4 now, which was so polished and full of attention to small details back then, but it seems outdated by having been played Red Dead 2. The animations used to be the best in class, now there's a huge gulf of distance between them. I cannot wait to see The Last of Us Part II post-Red Dead 2.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
The production values are astounding and monumental. The amount of detail they put into things you may never see is amazing.

I'm in the RDR2 is overhyped camp in how poorly it plays/mission design, but no honest person can deny it's achievement in all the ways that are separate from how it plays.

nycgamer4ever

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a good game with great systems. But it doesnt ruin other game for me. Its actually a slog for me so far although I do like the game. I wouldn't expect any less drom Rockstar. They have thousand of people wotking on their games at least 5 years to create them.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue that the illusion was constructed to suit the needs of the game's many systems and modes of interaction. Most other games don't really benefit from that wide breadth of npc behavior and event triggers because the game and its player doesn't require them. Games like the ones you mentioned, (gears, god of war, uncharted) don't require it has no need for it.

I suppose your Zelda comparison is a bit more apt, but we're talking about a hardware generation's difference of resources here. As for the Blood Moon respawn trigger, I don't see a problem with it because it's a mechanic that fits that world. In RDR2, when I murder 50 people in Valentine during a botched robbery only to return a couple days later, bounty paid off, and the town is practically reset to how it always was (Westworld style), the shattering of illusion hits me harder than any Blood Moon-esque event trigger.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I reinstalled Infamous Second Son to see how badly it compared to RDR2 after playing it and it was like going back 3 generations. Rockstar games are usually the only ones where I feel the open world is justified and adds to the game.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
RDR2 lovers and haters should just fuck and get it out of your systems. You guys have got some serious tension going on.

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who felt AC Odyssey felt more "alive" to me than RDR2? It's like, how do you go from a town of like 12 people to having dozens of posses and police trying to round me up all of a sudden? It's very weird.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is a big and beautiful game indeed. But I don't think I will replay it ever again.
It's tremendously overwhelming. And some part of the story are pure filler.
The worst thing is that next open world games will continue to be that way. Bigger and bigger because it must be and that will affect making a good story.

Last edited:

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
That feels like any modern Naughty Dog game to me, once I've played it once, I have no wish to replay it ever.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
That feels like any modern Naughty Dog game to me, once I've played it once, I have no wish to replay it ever.

giphy.gif

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I reinstalled Infamous Second Son to see how badly it compared to RDR2 after playing it and it was like going back 3 generations. Rockstar games are usually the only ones where I feel the open world is justified and adds to the game.

Second Son's open world was dated from the first day it came out.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
What's interesting about RDR2 for an open-world game is, idk if my experience is different than everyone else's, that when I beat the game it still feels like it's full of life, it still feels like there's things going on in it with people. When I play games that are open world, action adventure, when I play these games and I see people moving, interacting, it's all full of action and it feels like a fully warm embracing live world. Once I beat the games though it's like it's all dead, even if I get some post-game side missions it feels that way.

RDR2 is the one game that I just don't feel that in. GTAV was close. After I beat RDR2 I'm still out enjoying the game and not just from a mission standpoint by from how interactive and vibrant the world is.

Hope that makes sense, it's hard for me to describe.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing through AC Origins right now and there's definitely such a drop in quality in the feel of the open world. Red Dead 2 is the pinnacle of making the world feel alive.

With that said I'm enjoying the gameplay portion of Origins slightly more, mainly due to the small quality of life features (no Loot pickup animations, fast/fluid traversal etc).

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Second Son's open world was dated from the first day it came out.
I know, which is why I chose to compare it with that one, lol.

That's what a shitload of time, money and a disregard your employees health will do.
I love how every time someone says something positive about Rockstar there's like 20 comments saying "oh, it's only because they have money and time!!!" as if an extremely talented team wasn't needed either.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea, R* basically just reminded the world they are still the king of open world games. RDR2 is a gigantic leap above any other open world game when it comes to crafting a believable world.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
I disagree, everything feels shallow and surface level. Nothing seems emergent, a result of various systems interacting, it's just a bunch of scripted events. A lot of them to be sure, but the second time you spring a guy from a bear trap the exact same way as the first time it really takes the shine off.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, everything feels shallow and surface level. Nothing seems emergent, a result of various systems interacting, it's just a bunch of scripted events. A lot of them to be sure, but the second time you spring a guy from a bear trap the exact same way as the first time it really takes the shine off.

Because it isn't infinite is such a strange complaint. Yes, rockstar has not quite figured out how to erase the limits of their medium.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
To me RDR2 is most impressive not as the next step in emergent open worlds, but as an open world game designed with the *most* linear style triggers we've ever seen. I don't actually get the sense when standing in the middle of town that anything can happen, quite the opposite actually. Standing around the towns or poking the facade (or situations like provoking someone to shoot first) kind of pierces through the simulation. The day/night NPC cycle is cool, but otherwise the dynamic systems don't feel like a giant leap for the genre.

Where the game shines is the fact that they've painstakingly filled almost every corner and landmark with scripted events and certain contingencies for how those events play out. From there, the game smartly "records" those moments and comes back to those instances hours and hours later. This way, exploration is rewarded with events that still have a strong vision and build on top of everything else the game is doing to put on this incredible show for the player.

Ultimately though, everything is still *for the player*. I think the real next step for these games is when you can ACTUALLY stand in the middle of town doing nothing, and truly systemic events start to occur simply because the game decided to spawn NPC A near NPC B while NPC C was drunk, and Officer A has to intervene. At some point in RDR2, you DO run out of designed world events to see, and at that point the game does come back down to Earth. Next gen, where you at?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I know, which is why I chose to compare it with that one, lol.

I love how every time someone says something positive about Rockstar there's like 20 comments saying "oh, it's only because they have money and time!!!" as if an extremely talented team wasn't needed either.

The talent is a given but what other developer can take as long as Rockstar does to make a game combined with the amount of money they pour into it? You can have the most talented studio ever but if they don't have enough manpower or time they won't be able to produce a RDR2 no matter what.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The talent is a given but what other developer can take as long as Rockstar does to make a game combined with the amount of money they pour into it? You can have the most talented studio ever but if they don't have enough manpower or time they won't be able to produce a RDR2 no matter what.
I know, but people like to act as if creating a world like RDR2's wasn't a merit on its own already, even considering Rockstar's size. You can put as much money as you want, but money can't replace talent.

Oct 27, 2017
For me there's no point in having an open world that I don't want to play in...the actual mechanics have to be fun. It's cool for the novelty but not when interacting with the world is a pain.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's s great game but it certainly hasn't ruined other open world games for me. I'm actually quite happy that other developers are forging their own path within the genre.

Alxjn

Nov 17, 2017
Eh, the game did plenty of things to ruin that illusion of reactivity on a regular basis, especially when the random encounters start repeating themselves by chapter 3. The greet/antagonize system felt completely half baked too. At the end of the day, it didn't feel all that more advanced than GTA V in the detail department.

The camp was really impressive though, I'll give you that.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
With the amount of development time and budget and manpower working on the game, i'd expect nothing less. I don't really think it deserves special props honestly.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yup. Cant agree more. The game has the most "alive" open world ever. It is pretty fantastic in that aspect.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I know, but people like to act as if creating a world like RDR2's wasn't a merit on its own already, even considering Rockstar's size. You can put as much money as you want, but money can't replace talent.

That's the main differentiator though compared with the other top tier developers. Without being behind the scenes you could assume that studios like CDPR or Naughty Dog have similar levels of talent but they probably wouldn't be able to produce something of the scale of a RDR 2 even if they wanted to.