PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
www.redbull.com

What you need to know about Red Bull Metropolis

Bringing competition to Cities: Skyline for the first time, Red Bull Metropolis is a unique event you won't want to miss.

Red Bull Metropolis takes Cities: Skylines, a game that was never designed to be competitive, into the world of esports. Featuring some of the most popular streamers in the community, some never-before-seen ways of playing the game and more than a few surprises, you won't want to miss this one-of-a-kind event.

Alongside developers Paradox Interactive and the Cities: Skylines community, a number of specially designed maps have been created for the event to present a serious challenge to some of the best players in the world. This is the game you know and love, but in a way you've never seen before.

You'll have to wait until the event itself to see exactly what challenges we have in store for the players, but each features a unique set of rules and objectives designed to test certain areas of a participant's city building skills. This will range from reducing traffic in a busy city to saving an entire city from a meteor heading its way.

Throughout the day of the event, competitors will take part in five 30-minute challenges, with each being scored and the results forming a league table that will no doubt change a lot throughout the course of the day. After all five challenges have been completed, the top players will be invited to take part in the all-important sixth challenge, which will push their skills to the limit and crown the Red Bull Metropolis champion.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
giphy.gif

OP
OP
PJTierney

PJTierney

Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
This is pretty neat, Cities: Skylines has always been a fun and relaxing game to play and watch so it'll be interesting to see how Paradox and Red Bull make a competitive spectacle out of it.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
City skylines has a playerbase large enough to make the attempt at making an esport but it is rare for esports to take off when initially pushed by the players challenging each other. Maybe I'm wrong and a scene already exists where people challenge each other.

OP
OP
PJTierney

PJTierney

Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
I'm just hoping this is the start of a hype cycle for a potential sequel. I'm ready to dump another 400 hours into this 🙂

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I put in a ton of hours in Cities but I couldn't really wrap my head around efficient traffic. That challenge would wreck me!

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to a commentator screaming in excitement "And here comes the roundabout!!! Perfect placement!"

But seriously, will absolutely check this out

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Funny I was just about to say how I follow all these Skylines players who just do tons of challenge builds and stuff and they might be into this. Then I go to the announcement comments and it's literally all of them commenting lol. Will be exciting to see.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Given the fact that Town Planning used to be an Olympic event I find this charmingly amusing.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I just wanna say Cities:Skylines with the right mods is the best SimCity game ever.
But be prepared to fill your RAM.

That e-sports thing sounds like fun for people interested in it.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully at the end of this we get a teaser for Skylines 2. C:S is so bogged down right now, it's really showing its age imo. Still one of my favorite games ever tho

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't know this was a thing, will watch. Haven't played c:s in quite some time, always hated managing mods, dependencies, and other shit breaking. Can't wait for cs2