MetaCritic (PC): 71
MetaCritic (XSX):
MetaCritic (PS5):

Video Reviews

Written Reviews

Rock Paper Shotgun - Unscored

www.rockpapershotgun.com

Recompile review: a hacking adventure worth installing

Recompile's a hacking action adventure game that makes exploring code a platforming, puzzling treat, but could make things a bit clearer sometimes.
Despite it's so-so action, Recompile is a brilliant adventure and unlocking its mysteries is a blast. It could be a bit clearer when steering you to the next step, but the strength of its platforming and puzzling more than makes up for it. Love me some hacking and code now.

ScreenRant 80/100
https://screenrant.com/recompile-game-review/
Overall, Recompile is a mixed bag that struggles to balance each aspect of its design. The world design and exploration may be great but the combat is frustrating at best and infuriating at worst, with its only saving grace being that enemy swarms and boss fights are sparse. Recompile is a stunning experience that is addictive and immersive despite its faults, however. Recompile is an excellent option for fans of Metroidvanias, challenging gameplay, and unique ideas.

IGN 6/10
www.ign.com

Recompile Review - IGN

Recompile is a short-lived metroidvania with a great story but forgettable platforming, puzzles, and combat.
Recompile is a competent metroidvania with a strong story and great writing let down by overly bland gameplay. Its platforming and puzzles are too simplistic, and its infrequent combat can frustrate, but hunting for bits of lore between those sections still managed to stay interesting. It's a short-lived and sometimes forgettable metroidvania, but with a story that still makes it a few hours well spent.

Slant Magazine 6/10
Recompile never comes close to having the same catastrophic levels of dysfunction as the Hypervisor. The game runs smoothly and looks great. But it would be more entertaining with just a little more gatekeeping. The Overclock ability, which slows time and allows for more precise shooting, is inexplicably off the main path, and playing through the game without it makes for a significantly less enjoyable experience. Other game-changing tools, like the AI Overwrite (which lets you turn foes into temporary allies) or long-range BSoD rifle, don't have enough utility, as they're late-game rewards for clearing a whole sector, and by the time you earn them, there isn't all that much to do with them. You could say, then, that Recompile might have benefited from running a final pass on itself, to correct its unbalanced difficulty so that it's not nearly as hard at first nor as disappointingly easy and anticlimactic in the end.

XboxEra 7/10
xboxera.com

Review | Recompile

If you are a fan of these types of games it is well worth checking out but be wary if you are not a fan of Metroidvania games. Advertised as featuring intense combat, tight 3D platforming, super-powered abilities, and an environmental logic-based hacking mechanic it certainly lives up to those...
This game is not a simple proposition, although it may look like a typical 3D platforming game at heart it is a technically complex and at times very challenging addition to the Metroidvania genre. If you are a fan of these types of games it is well worth checking out but be wary if you are not a fan of Metroidvania games. Advertised as featuring intense combat, tight 3D platforming, super-powered abilities, and an environmental logic-based hacking mechanic it certainly lives up to those claims. I would recommend being aware of this before you take the game on.

33Bits 5/10 (Spanish Review)
portal.33bits.net

Análisis - Recompile - 33bits

En 33bits analizamos Recompile un metroidvania 3D lleno de acción y plataformas de parte de PhiGames y Dear Villagers.
Recompile is a title that leaves us with a bittersweet taste. It stands out in the handling of the character and its improvement, but it has some elements that tarnish the result as empty scenarios, lack of enemies and the dreaded repetitiveness.

TheGamer 4.5/5
This is no ordinary game - it is brilliant and ambitious and frustrating in the one and only way that frustration can be a positive term. Recompile is a rare gem in a cave of unremarkable cobblestone, a pearl among cracked shells and coarse sand. If you do one thing after reading this review, do both yourself and I a favour: download Recompile, and once you're done with it, tell your friends to download it, too.

Last edited:

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
I've played for an hour or so and the reviews seem about right. It's got some nice music and atmosphere, but the combat and movement seem a bit too floaty for me, and the puzzles (such as they've been so far) aren't particularly engaging.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Now i see why no reviews before launch. Early impressions on that other thread made me lose interest.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
I'm really surprised at these reviews and the impressions in the other thread. I usually have no tolerance for subpar games but I've really been enjoying this one.

The Slant review is a bit odd. I got the BSoD rifle and AI Overwrite within the first 1/2 of the game, still plenty of time to make use of them.

If I had to guess, I likely just happened to follow the exact progression path the devs want players to take, because I've found all the upgrades in the "right" order (although I did Security before Engineering and had no issue with that, so I really do think players can do those two in either order)

Oct 27, 2017
I've played for an hour or so and the reviews seem about right. It's got some nice music and atmosphere, but the combat and movement seem a bit too floaty for me, and the puzzles (such as they've been so far) aren't particularly engaging.
Basically this.
It's also visually fantastic.
Aesthetics won't be enough to push through a mechanically so-so metroidvania for me.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Played for like 20-30 min last night. Definitely a bit rougher than expected.

DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
Such a shame as the art and tech look good, but the criticism against the level design and platforming seem valid.

MrBeanTroll

Oct 29, 2017
I finished it on the Series X and absolutely loved it. I can definitely see it as a love it/hate it game though. It doesn't hold your hand at all. The slant reviewer must have went a totally different route as I got the BSoD weapon pretty early on and then only used it going forward. Each area is kinda set up to challenge you in a specific way. The BSoD is near the end of the level most focused on combat as a reward for getting through the combat. There's an awesome movement upgrade at the end of the very platform heavy area. And so on.

You do continue to use and need those abilities in other areas so they are never useless and I really enjoyed the power creep of your character.

If you have Gamepass, I do suggest giving it a shot and seeing if it is for you. I'm glad I did.