Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
When you are reading out a code to someone do you say the actual letters or speak out the words i.e alpha beta Charlie?

Cos man it's fuckin annoying in work when I'm expecting the good old A-B-C and they hit me with some words.

scotdar

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The codes of course, they are proven to be less error prone. I don't care what code you use just use them.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just replace specific error prone letters.

Like Frank for F, Echo for E, and Mancy for M.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Phonetic. My postcode is difficult to hear down a bad line, and I used to call Microsoft India all the time for license activation, so I ended up learning the NATO alphabet

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
what do you mean "reading out a code?" I'm guessing it is something specific to your job but just kind of sounded funny like you are a secret agent or work for a videogame magazine in the 90s telling people cheat codes for NES games.

only example I can think of is spelling out my email address to someone on the phone. I just say the letters. Communications technology has progressed enough where they can clearly understand what I'm saying. It's not 1924.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
did you say B, C, E or F, S, X... A or eight? M or N?

now put in an accent that's not relative to your region and you'll ask that over and over. lol when reading old ESN numbers dealers had it down to a T and i appreciated them so much id get their swap done within a minute. hated the job and so glad i dont work there anymore.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
NATO-Alphabet.jpg

print it out and stick it on your toilet door.
EDIT: too big

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
As a pilot, I definitely am accustomed to using the NATO phonetic alphabet. In regular usage, I will say the letter (A, B, C, etc.,) but will say the code word for easily confused letters (Charlie, Mike, November, Zulu, etc.) It also depends on how important the situation is. Very little importance? I will stick to just the letters. Critical importance? I will use code words.

Edit:
The fuck is mancy? And if youre distinguishing from N, what about Nancy?

I have the same question. What in blue blazes is Mancy? I've heard of "N for Nancy," and "M for Mike," but Mancy? Is this a joke?

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a pilot, I definitely am accustomed to using the NATO phonetic alphabet. In regular usage, I will say the letter (A, B, C, etc.,) but will say the code word for easily confused letters (Charlie, Mike, November, Zulu, etc.) It also depends on how important the situation is. Very little importance? I will stick to just the letters. Critical importance? I will use code words.

Do you ever say niner?

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
alpha
bravo
charlie
delta
echo
foxtrot
golf
hotel
india
juliette
kilo
lima
mike
november
oscar
papa
quebec
romeo
sierra
tango
umbrella
victor
whiskey
x-ray
yankee
zebra (i know it's zulu)

off the top of my head... i'm sure some are slightly incorrect, or there are more local variances

Captain Goodnight

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
up up down down left right left right B A B A START

The only code that you will ever have to read. If it isn't that code, it's the wrong code.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
If I need to clarify, I'll use the phonetic alphapet.

Why would you need to use Zulu, when there's no other letter in the alphabet that sounds like "zed" when spoken?

:p

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
When I worked tech support, I'd say it phonetically. Customers didn't give a fuck though.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just the letters, of course. I'm not in the military or in aviation where it's critically important to get it right, nor am I a big douche.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
alpha
bravo
charlie
delta
echo
foxtrot
golf
hotel
india
juliette
kilo
lima
mike
november
oscar
papa
quebec
romeo
sierra
tango
umbrella
victor
whiskey
x-ray
yankee
zebra (i know it's zulu)

off the top of my head... i'm sure some are slightly incorrect, or there are more local variances
U as in Uniform, but yes. Also, Zebras are better than Zulus.

Anyway -- phonetic alphabet, always, but I'll do "C as in Charlie" so as not to confuse people.