OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

JOKER doesn't reinvent the comic book movie, but it's certainly the scariest one — a taut psychological thriller w/a few horror movie twists. Joaquin Phoenix, though, yikes: Looks like he stepped out of THE CABINET OF DR CALIGARI, or maybe he's still trapped there. Astounding.

#JOKER feels like the first anarchist blockbuster...? Need a sleep to wrestle with it. Joaquin Phoenix has demons and we're lucky for it. The guy's astonishing. #TIFF19

#Joker: Wow. Joaquin Phoenix and Todd Phillips summon dark mojo for a descent into madness, for the origin story to beat all origin stories. Forget comic books -- this is disturbingly too close to modern alienation to be dismissed as mere fantasy. #TIFF19

JOKER: The perfect origin story for a lunatic with no origin. Todd Phillips gives DC it's first true masterpiece. The Clown Prince has never been more deranged, more dangerous, and more real. A brutal work that will have audiences raving. #Joker #JokerMovie #TIFF19

JOKER: Guys...it's good. A simplistic script is saved by Phoenix's great performance, Phillips' impressive direction, Hildur Guðnadóttir's moody score, and Lawrence Sher'a gorgeous cinematography. This isn't just a dark drama, it's a full-blown horror movie. #TIFF19

JOKER: Not your daddy's #Joker movie. Riveting & engrossing, unnerving & disturbing, intense & very violent. A cross between Taxi Driver, King of Comedy & Network. #JoaquinPhoenix is haunting, very different from Jack & Heath. Need to stew on this one. #TIFF19

#Joker is DARK. Really violent, and Joaquin Phoenix's performance is astounding. Crowd gasped and said "oh my god" several times. Need some time to think about this psychological thriller. #TIFF19

Last edited:

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I believe there are two more TIFF screenings happening in just over 5 hours, so we should get even more impressions and reviews after that.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, looks like Joaquin Phoenix is gonna replace Heath Ledger as the GOAT Joker.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
thanks, I do know how to do that but a) I want tracking protection and b) it's nice if you can post text for readability and disappearing tweets

Got tracking protection on here, and have no issue seeing the tweets in both Firefox and Firefox Mobile.

Sure it's not an addon or such being annoying?

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if he wins an oscar. First time an oscar would be won by two different people playing the same character

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more surprised that this came from the director of the Hangover movies. I guess it's easier to go from comedy to drama than the other way round, just like with actors?

why would it? Plenty of Drama actors are good at comedy and vice versa. Same for filmmakers.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I never doubted Joaquin's performance, but I'm surprised the movie seems to be just as good.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
6 months back, if you had said Joker would review much better than Jojo Rabbit I would of said you were crazy

Truely we do live in a society

Oct 30, 2017
But what about the early script reviews with all them yikes? But won't someone please think of the possibility of right wing misogynist incel morons identifying with a villain?

But seriously can't wait. Phoenix is the best actor in tthe game right now.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Imagine if he wins an oscar. First time an oscar would be won by two different people playing the same character
I guess this also speaks to the depth of characters available in these tales; particularly someone like the Joker. I never get the blanket dismissals of comic book properties. There's some incredible stuff among them, especially among the graphic novels.

... and lot's of bad stuff, too, of course. But, hey, that goes for every medium.

At any rate, super excited for this movie!

Also, I saw there's an OT? Isn't it still a few weeks away? Don't wanna get spoiled by clicking on it.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
But what about the early script reviews with all them yikes? But won't someone please think of the possibility of right wing misogynist incel morons identifying with a villain?

But seriously can't wait. Phoenix is the best actor in tthe game right now.
The early script could still be terrible. The original script for John Wick - titled "Scorn" - was pretty bad, overstuffed with blunt dialogue, very generic. It was changed a lot once Keanu joined

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This movie is going to damage talk about destigmatizing mental illness. I'm sure it's good but I'm not looking forward to that.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i'm so excited for this movie goddamn, last time i was this hyped for a comicbook movie was dark knight rises

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
The early script could still be terrible. The original script for John Wick - titled "Scorn" - was pretty bad, overstuffed with blunt dialogue, very generic. It was changed a lot once Keanu joined

Makes you think that people should judge final movies and not early scripts.

.. but that's never gonna stop happening.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I'll watch it for Joaquin's performance, but I'm not expecting much when it comes to the plot. I know I'm in the minority here, but I think the trailers were pretty bad and very cliché.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'll watch it for Joaquin's performance, but I'm not expecting much when it comes to the plot. I know I'm in the minority here, but I think the trailers were pretty bad and very cliché.

Most character studies have very simple plots. It's all about the character themselves.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear the impressions are positive. Movie looks like it will be an interesting dark thriller.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's just crazy that's where we are. Years ago, having Phoenix play Joker was a dream to me that I thought would NEVER happen.....and yet, here we are. The man is a machine.
It is weird but fascinating that the role of "The Joker" is now, like, playing the modern Hamlet or King Leer.

Highly talented actors lining up to play a mentally disturbed clown, but whose performances all have a lasting impact on medium at large, exploring themes of psychosis, humor, fear, and mental instability, and what drives a man to that breaking point.

I mean, he didn't win any Oscars for it, but even Mark Hamill's version was transcendent towards how we view the character.
tenor.gif

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Very excited to watch this, have been since Phoenix was announced as playing Joker. I should have gotten TIFF tickets... Barrel Cannon

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I think Leto could have done a good Joker if it was any other interpretation of the character. He is not the problem, Ayer's Joker is.

Exactly. The tattoos and such just were an awful idea for Joker, but I feel that Leto would have done a good job. Not AS good as Ledger or Phoeni, but a pretty good job.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I'm more surprised that this came from the director of the Hangover movies. I guess it's easier to go from comedy to drama than the other way round, just like with actors?
Ironically enough, another co-writer from the Hangover movies just had a slamdunk with creating Chernobyl. It is a good year for comedy-turned-drama talent lol.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
GZpTNvR.gif

Leto deserved better material to work with...
What gets me kinda sad about Letos Joker is that he looks so much like the character but it gets brought down by the tattoos and shitty writing. With a better script and direction Leto could've given a really good Joker.
tumblr_pkbx52ttnZ1ulbt4n_1280.jpg

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
This movie is going to damage talk about destigmatizing mental illness. I'm sure it's good but I'm not looking forward to that.

This is my concern. Much more than the whole "alt right will like this" thing that people are worried about, I'm worried that it will continue to perpetuate the idea that people with mental illnesses are super dangerous and violent, and if we aren't careful, they'll try to kill us all.

But I'm gonna wait and see the movie first. Hopefully it's more tactful.