TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
www.theguardian.com

Ralph Fiennes defends JK Rowling saying abuse she receives is ‘disgusting’

Actor condemns attacks directed at the Harry Potter author since she spoke out about gender identity and trans rights

In an interview with the New York Times, Fiennes discussed his role as Lord Voldemort in the Harry Potter films and reportedly "bristled" at the controversy surrounding the writer. Fiennes said: "JK Rowling has written these great books about empowerment, about young children finding themselves as human beings. It's about how you become a better, stronger, more morally centred human being. The verbal abuse directed at her is disgusting, it's appalling."

He added: "I mean, I can understand a viewpoint that might be angry at what she says about women. But it's not some obscene, uber-right-wing fascist. It's just a woman saying, 'I'm a woman and I feel I'm a woman and I want to be able to say that I'm a woman.' And I understand where she's coming from. Even though I'm not a woman."

Edit: Better, less Terfy source.

www.rollingstone.com

Ralph Fiennes is Mad That People are Mad at J.K. Rowling for Her Dangerous Comments About Trans Women

Ralph Fiennes, who played Lord Voldemort in the 'Harry Potter' franchise, decried the "verbal abuse" directed at J.K. Rowling over her numerous anti-trans comments.

Last edited:

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
He added: "I mean, I can understand a viewpoint that might be angry at what she says about women. But it's not some obscene, uber-right-wing fascist. It's just a woman saying, 'I'm a woman and I feel I'm a woman and I want to be able to say that I'm a woman.'
No Ralph, she doesn't just say that

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
It's just a woman saying, 'I'm a woman and I feel I'm a woman and I want to be able to say that I'm a woman.' And I understand where she's coming from. Even though I'm not a woman."
These two sentences are antithetical. If you think the first one is true, it shows specifically that you do not understand the issue.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Jfc

Why can't actors just shut the fuck up. Truly the stupidest people on the planet. Just stop and think before speaking and if you know your ass is bigoted or racist, keep it to yourself and if you want to expose yourself, by all means let us know so good people do t hire you again.

Harry Potter series is in the mud now too, not that I care but must suck for longtime fans.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
finally, someone is standing up to all the people telling rowling not to call herself a woman (??????)

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, Voldemort. I was worried it was someone new. I could swear there's been news about him defending her before.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I find Voldemort's views are not aligned to my own. Who'd have thought.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly some of this is because unless you're paying attention online you're only getting the JK Rowling pov in the actual press

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
why are there idiots who acted in the series so insistent on defending her ass? I mean, its not like she is asking you to do so.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
"And I understand where she's coming from. Even though I'm not a woman."

Shut the fuck up, Ralph.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
The irony that Hermione is considered a 'mudblood' and not a true wizard is completely lost on these people. That's what gets me the most.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Except that isn't what Joanne is saying. She is saying trans women are going to SA our children in the bathroom and are awful men dominating women spaces in order to undermine women.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that this isn't the first time this man has defended that piece of shit. And most likely won't be the last.

Also Ralph, the Harry Potter series aren't about empowerment. They are about keeping the status quo intact.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think we knew this already? Or did he defended another shitty person before?

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
"It's just a woman saying, "I'm a woman and I feel I'm a woman and I want to be able to say that I'm a woman."

if this was all that she said, we wouldnt be talking about it right now.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
32a4a93af97d82813ea3c5ff8102dc0a46b9c770.gifv

Fiennes really shouldn't talk on subjects he clearly hasn't paid any attention to. Nobody is telling JK she's not allowed to say she's a woman. Nobody has ever said that.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
finally, someone is standing up to all the people telling rowling not to call herself a woman (??????)
I see it as basically the same shitty argument made by same-sex marriage opponents that others living their lives how they see fit somehow devalues their own marriages. Just in this case womanhood. Absolute nonsense in either case, obviously.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
thank god we have cis ppl to tell us what is or isn't transphobic
What would we possibly do without them?
"JK Rowling has written these great books about empowerment, about young children finding themselves as human beings. It's about how you become a better, stronger, more morally centred human being. The verbal abuse directed at her is disgusting, it's appalling."
tenor.gif

Yeah the book where the hero becomes a cop to help maintain the society that functions on slavery and discrimination of other races.
I think he's referring to stuff like "birthing person" to a person who's gender identity you don't know, or they're non-binary, which reactionaries run with as the elimination of the gender so they can suck in people not in the know and then start giving them the real juicy transphobic stuff.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Trash opinions from boomer British actors are almost expected at this point (Coltrane did it, too), but I'd like to read the alternate universe version of the Harry Potter books that he read, because holy shit that summary is from another world entirely.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I could have sworn that d!ckhead had already done something like this before. Either way though, he can f$&k off with that.

OP
OP
TheGummyBear

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
What would we possibly do without them?

tenor.gif

Yeah the book where the hero becomes a cop to help maintain the society that functions on slavery and discrimination of other races.

I think he's referring to stuff like "birthing person" to a person who's gender identity you don't know, or they're non-binary, which reactionaries run with as the elimination of the gender so they can suck in people not in the know and then start giving them the real juicy transphobic stuff.

Make vonocourt the 16th Doctor, because she is on fire. (As always!)

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You'd think with Emma being his friend, he wouldn't be like that but I also feel like Emma could probably sit him down and lecture him for hours and Tom would probably never absorb that information.
"My friend Emma wants to see trans people respected and be allowed to live as they have done until now without issue. My other friend, Joanne, drives trans people to suicide and actively funnels her fans toward far-right hate groups. I love having friends with different opinions!"

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"My friend Emma wants to see trans people respected and be allowed to live as they have done until now without issue. My other friend, Joanne, drives trans people to suicide and actively funnels her fans toward far-right hate groups. I love having friends with different opinions!"
Pretty much. It is so sad and frustrating to see people like Tom trying to boil this down to "opinions" when trans people are the ones getting hurt and having their rights stripped because of "opinions".

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The rolling stone article is thousand times better

www.rollingstone.com

Ralph Fiennes is Mad That People are Mad at J.K. Rowling for Her Dangerous Comments About Trans Women

Ralph Fiennes, who played Lord Voldemort in the 'Harry Potter' franchise, decried the "verbal abuse" directed at J.K. Rowling over her numerous anti-trans comments.

Fiennes went on to acknowledge he could "understand a viewpoint that might be angry about what [Rowling] says about women" but insisted the author was not "some obscene, über-right-wing fascist." Some, however, would probably argue that her comments — like, those about bathrooms or those denying that trans women are women — echo some of the favored talking points on the far right.