ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Credit to Takashi Mochizuki for finding these articles.

So back in September there was this article:
https://media.rakuten-sec.net/articles/amp/28834?page=2

Where an analyst predicted that PS5 would sell 200M units lifetime citing things such as PS5 being the replacement of PCs for eSports.

Now there is a new article about that same analyst that has changed his prediction:
https://www.sbbit.jp/article/cont1/44665?page=2

Note the following is machine translated:

200 to 300 million units sold in five to six years:
Mr. Yasuo Imanaka, Chief Analyst of Rakuten Securities Economic Research Institute, predicts that the number of units sold worldwide will be "200 to 300 million units in 5 to 6 years."

eSports demand for PS5:
"Esports demands hardware that is fast and capable of advanced video processing, not only for professional gamers, but also for amateur athletes and spectator fans. The high-spec, low-priced PS5 is for today's games. There is a possibility that it can become an international standard machine for e-sports instead of a personal computer. "(Mr. Imanaka)

Data suggests PS5 could reach 700 million units sold in the long-term, 4-5 times that of PS2 lifetime sales (explained here):
The data suggest that in the future, the number of PS5s could reach the order of 600 million or 700 million, four or five times the number of PS2s, which was the highest number ever for home video game consoles. Mr. Imanaka said, "If the number of transfers from PS4, which is backward compatible, is about 120 million, and if more than 100 million e-sports competition population and 400 million spectator population are added. In total, PS5 can be a market of more than 600 million units. "

Edit:

Corrected a part in the machine translation.

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
haha wtf

Esports is not big enough to add 500m+ more people to the console space. Absolute lunacy.

Like why would 400m spectators buy consoles if they can just watch on any media device to begin with. Who is this dude?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
giphy.gif

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
"If the number of transfers from PS4, which is backward compatible, is about 120 million, and if more than 100 million e-sports competition population and 400 million spectator population are added, PS5 will be 6 in total. It can be a market of more than 100 million units. "

this is completely baffling

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
The worst thing is people will use this ridiculous prediction till the end of time when PS5 does reasonably and almost matches PS4 saying 'the expectations were for 200mill plus' urgh

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
None of the things mentioned in that prediction will have.

the "400 million esports spectators" thing is really off the mark as well.

Deleted member 66837

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 24, 2020
I feel like something this offbase isn't worth a thread. Everyone knows 110m is the ideal outcome anything more unrealistic.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
They couldn't manufacture that many even if they had the demand to sell them.

Does he expect people to PS5s for their restrooms?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
"If the number of transfers from PS4, which is backward compatible, is about 120 million, and if more than 100 million e-sports competition population and 400 million spectator population are added, PS5 will be 6 in total
Ahh yes of course. It's that simple, all 400 million esports spectators will buy a PS5.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
How will PS5 be the esports machine when all the big tournaments outside of fighting games are on PC?

I wish I could get paid to write nonsense.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
this guy bet all his life savings on sony shares surely lol
i'm a sony dude but 700 million is literally crazy

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Just like NBA fans look for Nike shoes, eSports fans will look for PS5

Errr, how many PS5s are they expecting each eSports fan to buy? Because I buy multiple pairs of shoes but usually only one PlayStation every 7 years.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
That spectator number is pretty high. id Be shocked if it ever got that high. Thats equating a PlayStation like an iPhone in terms of sales.
I wonder how this persons other predictions have panned out.

he also says PS5 will dominate the e-sports scene
and end the console wars

It's gonna bring world peace! Lmao.