• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Early First Impressions from Kemono (PS4 Pro with SSD)
  • Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
    Banned
    Oct 27, 2017
    Ok, so i've played around for a bit and can say for me personally that i like it so far.

I'm playing on a PS4 Pro with a SSD.

Very doom 2016ish. You can tell pretty quickly that id had something to do with this game.

- feels like doom 2016 (not perfect but youcan feel the id touch in there)
    - shooting feels satifying (heads pop in a nice way)
    - early enemies feel like out of quake (design wise)
    - story is b-movie city so far and doesn't know if it wants to be serious or crazy (we've all seen this move before), but i'm thankful it's there
    - you can choose between male or female MC
    - MC talks and quibs

- Music is awesome so far, could be straight out of doom 2016 sometimes
    - sound-effect are good too
    - weapons so far sound punchy
    - voice-acting is decent, nothing to complain

- 60fps feel awesome (playing on PS4 Pro) but aren't locked
    - especially when you arrive in a new locale you feel/see the fps drop hard (but i think this is a loading problem, as the fps will go up to "smooth" shortly after
    - loading times after death are not instant but on the quicker side
    - bad pop-in
    - low-res
    - hard level of detail (LOD) system,
    - you can feel the game isn't made for 60fps on this old hardware (PC should be glorious)
    - aliasing is visible but not that bad after all (i'm playing on a 55* 4K screen)
    - motion blur and chromatic aberration can be tunred off
    - field of view slider is in (awesome)
    - hud can be turned off

Don't expect a clean image quaility. The 60fps needed a big sacrifice. It's absolutely fine and plays awesome so far but don't hope for graphics out of a 400$ console a high end pc couldn't handle easily.

rage2_20190511140202s1kj5.png

rage2_201905111408092xj0w.png

rage2_2019051114303637jbq.png

Early Impressions from Dphex (PS4 Pro)
  • Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
    Cologne, Germany
    played for 2 hours on PS4Pro, gotta say i am deflated...

-graphics are not good, very blurry, pop ins when driving around, not vibrant at all, has a vaseline smear look
    -texture work is plain bad for a game late in the console generation
    -presentation really dry with plain textboxes for logs you find and static menus
    -gameplayloop is essentially Far Cry...outposts, bounty targets and so on...yawn
    -there are cities where you can buy resources and get "quests"
    -tone of the game is relatively stupid and uninteresting
    -driving around on a mostly empty map with 5-10 enemies here and there and other cars which you can race against..how exciting -.-
    -NPC speak slooooooowly, super annoying
    -copy paste with "arks" which are like droppods where you get upgrades
    -forced tutorials for things like doublejump and shooting a shotgun...
    -german voice for the female character is awful
    -nights are bright as days

the most positive thing:
    the core element-the shooting and the movement- is really good but the overall game is not really good so far, been here done that gameplay and for me the whole thing doesn´t really come together
    performance good but it is a tradeoff for blurry textures and extreme pop ins. things like rocks and buildings are also very blocky...
    would rather like this game with HDR in 4K and 30fps, it has a really cheap look

very easy game so far, even on hard, enemies seem stupid and you can revive yourself with a quicktime event....

that´s it for now, keep in mind i am harsh with games these days, so if someone wants a little pew pew and likes the Far Cry formula and Mad Max, might be a good game for those people but i don´t know if it is worth full price.

gonna play further to see if it gets better, first impression could have been better

Last edited:
    Early Impressions from Kemono (PS4 Pro)
  • Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
    Banned
    Oct 27, 2017
    About 5 hours in and i love it.

The open world and the side Missions are bog-standard but the gunplay is sweet as honey. So much fun. The mix of the guns and powers are so awesome.

The Shotgun. Top 3 shotguns of all time. That thing alone makes me love the game.

The enemy ai isn't really that good but the movement of them makes up for that. Like in the first Rage.

90% 60fps (PS4 Pro) so far i would say. Only once i saw tearing for a second.

Early Impressions from ApexNorth (Xbox One X and SSD)
  • ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
    After playing the game all day, I thought I would share my thoughts for those on the fence:

• Loading screens don't exceed 10 seconds.
    • For those who loved DOOM(2016) gameplay you will love RAGE 2's gameplay.
    • No issues with performance, popping in textures, FPS drops etc.
    • Most guns have different firing modes depending if your using ADS.
    • Overcharge with certain guns feels great (Don't wanna spoil anything).
    • Certain cars talk(Getting out, Getting in, Repairing) and some of the dialog is hilarious.
    • FOV Slider in the options menu.
    • Two different reticles are available. (The Alternate is just a white dot).
    • If you've played the original RAGE you'll see some familiar faces.
    • Lot's of things to do, discovering Arks, destroying Gas Stations to name a few.
    • Guns have different skins.
    • Some of the abilities kick ass, Shatter can cause some nasty gory mess.
    • All guns can be upgraded multiple times.
    • If you ever lose your vehicle you can spawn another one right next you.
    There is a couple of issues I have noticed.
    • One of the abilities I unlocked doesn't work.
    • The menu can be incredibly laggy.
    I am playing on the Xbox One X with the game installed on to a SSD.

Overall, the game feels like someone mashed Just Cause 2 with DOOM(2016). And honestly the result is pretty great. If you like the following games: Just Cause 2, DOOM(2016) or RAGE there is definitely something here for you.

I hope I've helped some of you who are on the fence!

Early Impressions from Reddit #1 (PS4 Pro)
  • OP
    OP
    vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
    Dec 28, 2017
    Some more impressions from Reddit, this is on the PS4 Pro

Hi guys, I didn't think I'd be writing this impression post so soon, the mail man was very kind today and blessed me with an early copy of Rage 2, there for, I thought I'd give my bit back by sharing some early impressions..

First off, I'm playing on a PS4 PRO.

Starting off with my most impressive part... the gunplay is fantastic, feels weighty and very comparable to DOOM 2016 and also very reminiscing of bulletstorm, it's very faced paced and satisfyingly smooth, combine this with the weapon feedback and the body parts flying about, it's a visually impressive and also feels very dynamic.

The Driving also feels great, no complaints about it at all. controls feel just right, with the weight of it and all, it's fun taking those corners with the boost.

Exploration seems pretty good, though commenting on this would be unfair due to my playtime.

The story so far is pretty generic though, I think anyone looking for an amazing story is going to feel short changed here, pretty average narrative so far, that could all change, but the set up and its tone is rather meh.

Technical issues are minimal, but this is coming from someone who has sat through 50 hours of days gone, and that was a showcase for them. Ranging from quite bad pop ins to not sure if that was a mountain or an outpost when driving, though it's not a game breaker, the menu seems buggy as hell, though I'm not sure if its apart of the game design.

Visuals are average, nothing special and nothing horrendous, but in return the gameplay is super smooth and that is trade off I dont mind having.

so far so good. I'm very impressed so far by what I've played, imagine, Doom, bulletstorm and mad max and that's the game we've got.

I'm looking forward to diving deeper with the exploration and seeing what the customisation has to offer.

It's a good start. Cant wait to play more.

No problem. I might take you up on that. I'm actually working on going to QuakeCon this year and since the Youngblood comes out at the same time I might need some assistance. I'll let you know.
    Dope. I'll be here.

PC Video Settings
  • shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
    Verified
    Oct 27, 2017
    Claymont, Delaware
    Could you give a few details on how the PC version is? Performance, the settings menu, any issues that jump out at you?

I don't know if I'm a fair assessment as I've been playing on two really beefy PCs. One with a 1800x + RTX 2080 Ti, the other with a 1700 + GTX 1080 Ti. Still, both were able to play with maxed settings and maintain 60FPS. My 1800x was running at 2560x1440 / 3440x1440 without any issues at 60FPS.

I did experience a few crashes during my time with the game. There are also some weird hitches, like when you're driving or in combat at times. Nothing that breaks the game.

Overall, this is DOOM 2016 all over again.

Rage_2_PC_videosettings1.jpg

Rage_2_PC_videosettings3.jpg

Rage_2_PC_videosettings4.jpg

17 Minutes of Rage 2 PC Gameplay
  • shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
    Verified
    Oct 27, 2017
    Claymont, Delaware
    It's encoding on YouTube and will be here - https://youtu.be/LgukOd4t4QI

17 Minutes of Rage 2 PC Gameplay.

Some driving, some shooting, some open world. Just so you can get an idea of what to expect. Does a good job of holding 60FPS for the most part. But there are times, mostly when the game is loading in assets that the frame rate drops for a moment.

PC Specs:
    AMD Ryzen 1700
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    16GB DDR4
    Windows 10

Rage 2 Settings: Seen in the video.
    Vsync: On
    FOV: 90
    Motion Blur: Off
    1080p 60FPS
    Chromatic AB: Off
    Resolution Scale (Dynamic Res): Off