Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
I mean, movies that contain vampires, not movies that drain your blood.

That said, most of the vampire-themed movies deal with the horror in a "private" way: we see vampires living secluded and killing their victims at night, etc, etc...

I was wondering: which movies instead depict vampires rampaging against lots of people, showing how powerful they are? (and usually killing lots of people...)

Two examples are Dracula Untold and, to a degree, Renfield.

Any other suggestion (that is not Twilight :D)?

Dermee

Dec 16, 2017
Not exactly what you are looking for, but the new Interview with the Vampire series on AMC is VERY good. It's on season 2. Great acting, dialogue. Lots of killing. I very much look forward to each new episode.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, most vampire fiction depicts vampires killing people at night because they kinda can't work during the day. It's fairly central to the vampire concept.

But yeah, 30 Days of Night is a candidate.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
30 Days of Night, definitely

Stakeland is a vampire movie with a zombie apocalypse-type style, so there's a scene where a settlement gets overrun by vampires

Last edited:

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Yeah the first that immediately came to mind was 30 Days of Night. Another one I would consider though it's not a town a bunch of people get got is

From Dusk til Dawn

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
From Dusk til Dawn
Yep, that's another one. Great call.

Some depictions show powerful vampires without lots of people. John Carpenter's Vampires, the BBC Dracula on Netflix, Showtime's Let the Right One in, maybe the biker scene in The Lost Boys or the club scene in the original Fright Night. Those are the ones I can think of off the top. Blood Quantum on Shudder might be another one….

Unfortunately, there just aren't that many movies that don't make the Vampire a romantic creature. 30 Days of Night is one of the rare ones that goes HARD. Very underrated movie.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
30 Days of Night is great. I always like when vampires are depicted in different ways and that movie really leans into the animalistic side of things.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly originally it wasn't. Dracula could go out in the day he was just weaker, it was the film Nosferatu that really kicked off the sun stuff.

The original Carmilla novel that was a heavy inspiration for a lot of vampire fiction also portrayed the titular vampire as being significantly weakened during the daytime and primarily nocturnal.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Innocent Blood has vampire mobsters
Abigail comes to mind
30 Days of Night was mentioned
And the Near Dark bar scene definitely qualifies

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The trick is that vampires, regardless of how powerful they are, are always a very small minority, outnumbered by humans thousands to one. Hence the secrecy, because if word ever got out, they wouldn't last long.

Most of the vampire stories work with this, but that's the titular "masquerade" in Vampire: The Masquerade... their concerted effort to remain hidden and keep the humans unaware of their existence. Anyone flaunting the rules and risking the secret getting out are killed out of hand.

Now, if the tables are turned, you get I Am Legend. Go read the book (not the movies), it's fantastic.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The trick is that vampires, regardless of how powerful they are, are always a very small minority, outnumbered by humans thousands to one. Hence the secrecy, because if word ever got out, they wouldn't last long.

Most of the vampire stories work with this, but that's the titular "masquerade" in Vampire: The Masquerade... their concerted effort to remain hidden and keep the humans unaware of their existence. Anyone flaunting the rules and risking the secret getting out are killed out of hand.

Now, if the tables are turned, you get I Am Legend. Go read the book (not the movies), it's fantastic.
Just realized no one had mentioned Daybreakers. That's basically what if the vampire elites of Blade actually succeeded and conquered humanity to become the dominant species.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
You didn't say good movies. So :

51yQvyZz-dL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Milla is essentially playing a Vampire that kills henchmens by the hundreds. So i guess it qualifies.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a movie but the Castlevania series has the vampires constantly trying to take over countries or kill the entire world.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Not a film but a show, the strain, definitely has us being the prey on a massive scale. (Also not exactly what you are asking for but I have to say it since it's one of the best shows in years but watch interview with the vampire, I hate it's going so far under the radar with tv viewers)

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Not a movie, but the manga/anime Hellsing does this pretty well. It's been a very long time but I recall single vampires or a small group of them killing anywhere from dozens to thousands of people.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Not a movie, but the manga/anime Hellsing does this pretty well. It's been a very long time but I recall single vampires or a small group of them killing anywhere from dozens to thousands of people.

The Nazi vampire actually invade England and start a massacre in London... then the Vatican shows up in their KKK armor and starts fighting the vampires and killing the people of London as well.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
The Nazi vampire actually invade England and start a massacre in London... then the Vatican shows up in their KKK armor and starts fighting the vampires and killing the people of London as well.

I really was mostly thinking of Alucard. The massacres towards the end were ludicrous in scale though yeah, forgot about the Vatican angle too