JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
So the next generation is almost upon us, and I'm on the market for a new TV. Not just because of next generation, but because I am looking to get a bigger TV in general, and the one issue I'm running into , is QLED vs OLED. Now, I've played the original PS Vita, and I absolutely love the OLED screen for gaming compared to an LCD screen, but I've not really witnessed a QLED myself. Then you also have to worry about OLED burning in, especially when it comes to games as many have static images running with the HUD that could cause burn-in.

So my question is, which do you prefer for gaming. QLED or OLED, and why?

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i know 6 people that have oled tv's, every single one of them has burn-in problems. just based on that, my new tv will be a qled (probably the qf9n from samsung). edit: is there no current tv with hdmi 2.1?

Oct 25, 2017
México
i know 6 people that have oled tv's, every single one of them has burn-in problems. just based on that, my new tv will be a qled (probably the qf9n from samsung). edit: is there no current tv with hdmi 2.1?
There are a few TVs right now with HDMI 2.1, but not the finalized version. I would wait for it... specially because the PS5 and next Xbox are probably going to support it.

Rrang

Oct 27, 2017
OH, USA
I had this question myself earlier this year when looking for a new TV. Ended up going with the Visio 65 inch Quantum QLED TV, and really like it. For my eyes, I really can't see a huge difference between my TV and the OLEDs, and I don't have to worry about burn in (and with it used for games only for the most part, it was something I would have worried about).

Just make sure to always turn on Game Mode!

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
I went through the exact same process of figuring it out a year ago. I went for a QF9N 65" from Samsung. It's a beast of a TV. The fact that OLED can get burn-in, and that I'd have to take active steps to notice HUD elements, and worry about static content, just is a turn off for me. If I was going to get a pure movie TV, I'd look more seriously into OLED, but for gaming, QLED was a no-brainer for me.

Higher peak brightness also helps. It really is mindblowing. I do notice the local dimming zones, but only around subtitles and such. Never in real pictures.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017

Do they watch CNN all day or play the same game for many hundreds of hours? I haven't had any such issues with my C8, but I'm a single player gamer only so a game only stays on my screen for ~100 hours max.

OP
OP
JayWood2010

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Well i think HDMI 2.1 is very important going into next generation, and that is an important question as well. IM currently looking at the LG b9 OLED which does have HDMI 2.1, but not seeing any on QLED. Not sure as I havent researched them as much to this point.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Do they watch CNN all day or play the same game for many hundreds of hours? I haven't had any such issues with my C8, but I'm a single player gamer only so a game only stays on my screen for ~100 hours max.

Same here, C8, have put hundreds of hours into Blackout, RDR2, and many other games. no issues.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I'm leaning QLED these days if only for cost reasons.

I'd get a samsung but my last two samsung screens had problems after about 3-4 years. Currently looking at Vizio and TCL for a midrange screen.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
There really is no comparison for me. Once I experienced movies and gaming on an OLED, I knew that was the new baseline for me.

I have been playing with OLEDs since 2017 (First a B7 and then a C8). QLEDs have achieved great IQ in the past few years but there really is no way to compare some scenes and inky blacks.

Personal experience and all but my 2 OLEDs have zero burn in (regular streaming, movie, TV and gaming habits). I also have 4+ friends with OLEDs, no burn ins.

Note: We all calibrated them for SDR and HDR and we all enabled the recommended LG-OLED safety settings.

Oct 25, 2017
México
I'd like to jump onto the 2.1 train, but would it only be in bleeding edge tvs, or most tvs?
Right now only high end TVs have HDMI 2.1 (and not even the final version). By 2020, it would be more mainstream. I think next year we will see HDMI 2.1 in mid-range sets, specially to get full support for the PS5/Xbox Two.

I really believe that TV manufacturers will want to be the prefered choice for persons wanting to buy a next gen system, and HDMI 2.1 is going to be a great marketing bullet point.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to jump onto the 2.1 train, but would it only be in bleeding edge tvs, or most tvs?

Outside of some minor things, 2.1 is about standardizing how to serve 8K content and at what framerate it can be supported. It's about bandwidth and how to use it. So for not-bleeding edge TVs, it won't necessarily be relevant until they also start having 8K

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I had no idea there was a new HDMI coming out. I plan on buying a QLED when the PS5 releases, will 2.1 be on every TV by then ?

Edit : Oh 2.1 is only for 8K support? Not that bad then for just PS5 gaming

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have much experience but I saw GT:Sport running on a QLED and an OLED side by side and the difference was pretty massive.

I think it's probably just the good blacks making the difference but I know what I would buy.

(Should probably point out this was in a shop so there's a chance the TV's weren't set up properly)

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm used to plasmas, so it's either OLED or eventually MicroLED for me. Local dimming LCDs are insufficient.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I decided to go OLED vs QLED when I had both in front of me to choose. QLEDs are nice but at the end they're just LEDs and don't match OLED picture quality to me.

About burn in, starting 8-series (B8/C8), OLED TVs have a bigger red sub-pixel, the one that tends to burn in first, to alleviate the problem. Also has a auto logo dimming that dims the area of persistent logos and HUDs to avoid burn. 2018 and 2019 models are way safer from burn in issues than old models, and you see it when you look around other sites and all burn in cases are from 7-series and below.

Of course that doesn't mean they're 100% burn in safe , it's always going to be a minimum risk with an OLED set. That doesn't mean you're gonna have burn in in a year. Rtings tests (mind you, with the 7 series) have shown that sets are pretty safe from burn in even in gaming conditions, and HDTest just wasn't able to get burning with a E8 with their stress test.

Rtings burn in test with 7-series (models not as safe as 8/9 series)
www.rtings.com

Real-Life OLED Burn-In Test On 6 TVs

There are concerns about OLED long-term performance due to the possibility of burn-in. We bought 6 LG OLED C7s to play real, non-altered content. It should give you a better idea of what to expect depending on what you watch on your TV.

HDTvtest burn in test with 8-series
www.youtube.com

OLED Burn-In Test: No Screen Burn After 6 Months of Use, 20 Hours A Day

We investigated the risk of OLED burn-in by displaying varying content 20 hours a day on a brand new LG E8 OLED TV for more than 6 months.We found no sign of...

At the end, every TV will have risk of something, my first LED TV has dark spots on the TV and my second also got them, and a LED ended up dying. Second lasted me like 5-6 years and now it doesn't show images, first still works but yeah...

Still, if you think you can't make peace with the burn in risk of an OLED even after all the safety settings OLEDs have nowadays, it's better to get a QLED or Sony LED that just being worried all the time for your OLED. These LED TV are also aamzing sets on their own.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
México
Outside of some minor things, 2.1 is about standardizing how to serve 8K content and at what framerate it can be supported. It's about bandwidth and how to use it. So for not-bleeding edge TVs, it won't necessarily be relevant until they also start having 8K
It's only about the resolution.

You are missing great features, like higher frame rates, variable framerate, lossless audio, eARC, low latency and so on.

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
QLED is just led

For true black nothing beats OLED

But if you get a good led tv with great full local array dimming , is the closest you will get.

I rock a sony 905F and its pretty awesome

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I have the Sony 75X9405C back from 2015 and I would again go with LED.

The old Sonys are a bit slow, but have improved with the latest Android versions. However, I'm still amazed by the picture quality.
My TV has not so many dimming zones, however it's still working brilliantly and the colors are gorgeous and you get used to a larger screen quite rapidly (75" was shocking when I got it).

I would say in a dark room a OLED might have benefits, but in normal viewing (Daylight or with some lights on, I use lightstripes on all 4 sides of the TV) I don't see the benefits of a perfect dark image. Especially since OLED sometimes has worse dark resolution. So you trade perfect black against not so perfect grey/dark. Might have changed today.

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
There really is no comparison for me. Once I experienced movies and gaming on an OLED, I knew that was the new baseline for me.

I have been playing with OLEDs since 2017 (First a B7 and then a C8). QLEDs have achieved great IQ in the past few years but there really is no way to compare some scenes and inky blacks.

Personal experience and all but my 2 OLEDs have zero burn in (regular streaming, movie, TV and gaming habits). I also have 4+ friends with OLEDs, no burn ins.

Note: We all calibrated them for SDR and HDR and we all enabled the recommended LG-OLED safety settings.
Once you go OLED, you never go back!

I agree with all of you. I went OLED a couple of years ago and... I just can't ever see myself going back. No turn-in problems so far either. Mostly single player game though as well so I swap games a lot. (Plus regular tv shows/movies with the SO.)

Oct 25, 2017
México
I'm used to plasmas, so it's either OLED or eventually MicroLED for me. Local dimming is insufficient.
Same here.

I'm still using two Samsung Plasma TVs (the last models they did). I actually hunted down both sets back in 2013 before they got discontinued. I will never buy an LCD/LED TV. Can't stand how the handle motion and videogames.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I just cannot fathom how this is true. 6 people and all had burn-in issues?

The amount of hours of Rocket League I played on my C6 OLED, and gaming in general, over 3 years was extraordinary. And yet no burn in at all - and using test slides. Now I have a C9, no burn in issues whatsoever, not even any temporary image retention.

Obviously there is the potential for burn in, but clearly not with how I use the TV - which is still pretty heavy going on a prominent opaque HUD game such as RL. I'm amazed you even know 6 people with OLEDs to be fair. I don't know anyone who owns one except me. I mean, I assume we're talking IRL here.

I d had my c6 for 3 years. Burnin started few month ago and it's not getting better. Eventually I think everybody will have. And I don't watch tv
What game's HUD caused the burn-in out of interest?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same boat. Waiting for next years or the 2021 TVs before buying something new. LED/QLED and whatever other moniker they want to use simply doesn't cut it.

I was really interested in seeing these dual-panel LCD TVs that Panasonic and, I think, Hi-Sense have been showing. Seems like an interesting solution to the local dimming issue.

Same here. I'm still using two Samsung Plasma TVs (the last models they did). I actually hunted down both sets back in 2013 before they got discontinued. I will never buy an LCD TV.

Yep, I'm still running a final series Panasonic VT65. It's been a trooper.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Do you want the best picture quality while needing to "take care" of your TV or do you want good picture quality while not giving a shit?

Also, image retention and burn-in are different things. One is temporary and one is permanent.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
QLED, while very good themselves (at least from Q70 and beyond) are also thicker than OLED, and Samsung gently puts better sound system on them.

They're not soundbar-level, of course, but it's a pretty decebnt audio system. You could not need a soundbar.

Also, QLED comes in 49". OLED only 55".

OP
OP
JayWood2010

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea there was a new HDMI coming out. I plan on buying a QLED when the PS5 releases, will 2.1 be on every TV by then ?

Its also for frame rate as far as im aware. This is why youre already seeing Xbox say things like 4k 120 fps, which would only be capable with HDMI 2.1. Granted i dont think devs would ever do 120 fps, but thats an entirely different subject.

Something else HDMI 2.1 does is VRR (Variable Refresh Rate).

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
OLED in a light controlled environment is absolutely amazing. In a brightly lit room with lots of natural light, however, the peak brightness of QLED is probably a better bet. There is no perfect television, just trade offs and price tiers.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I've got a Q9FN. Was tempted by OLED.
But at the end of the day, I don't want to care about what's on my TV.

Iwant to be able to have my PC connected on a text editor all day. And not care.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I know 5 people that have different OLED TVs (Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, one LG from 2016, one LG from 2017), and not one of them has burn-in problems. I dont know what it is, but your friends are doing something wrong.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
OLED is far far superior in terms of picture quality.

Also, I've barely read people with burn-in in the 8 series.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unless you're either pausing a game and leaving the TV on for hours, or watching a TV channel with a consistent logo in the corner burn-in is almost entirely a non-issue. Even with me as someone who plays the same game pretty consistently (Destiny 2), I don't see burn-in with the UI in anyway because I'm constantly flipping through screens and menus.

OP
OP
JayWood2010

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
OLED is far far superior in terms of picture quality.

Also, I've barely read people with burn-in in the 8 series.
You all have pretty much convinced me on the OLED. Probably going to pickup a LG B9. Any safety precaution tips from any of you? I never had an issue with the Vita myself, but thats my only experience with OLED to this point.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

HDMI 2.1 allows for 4k 120fps. And trust me, once you go 120fps it's difficult to go back to 60fps (never mind 30fps lol). The motion clarity of 120fps combined with OLED's instantaneous display response is something to behold. No motion blur, and no need for any flicker or black frame insertion to achieve it. This year's LG OLED's (B9/C9/E9/W9) are getting a HDMI 2.1 update via firmware. They already support 120fps at 1440p, HDMI VRR (and soon support for Nvidia's RTX 20xx cards too) and ALLM, but will support 4k 120fps too following the update. Samsung's TVs will not get full HDMI 2.1 support but they do support VRR and ALLM regardless.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I have an LG B6 OLED, and I'm generally super happy with it, but it has had some issues. Once in awhile, it gets this really weird splotchy effect on areas of the panel, which is kind of obnoxious. It goes away in a day, and I have no idea what causes it, but it's duper dumb.

Otherwise, it's the best TV I've ever looked at. I've played a lot of games on it, and never had anything remotely close to a burn in issue. I feel like you'd need to be spending absolutely bonkers amounts of time on the same images for that to be an issue.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
I have a LG B8 and it's great. No issues with burn in at all, and the picture is amazing. As long as you keep the content you watch (i.e. channels if you have TV service) and games you play varied, you shouldn't have to worry about burn in.

I even have my PC hooked up to it—I did take precautions to prevent burn in however. Put all programs on the taskbar, set it to hide unless I mouse over it, and have several wallpapers that cycle every minute. I came from a plasma before though, so I'm used to being mindful about burn in.

QLED isn't a bad option if you don't want to worry about burn in, but it doesn't look as good as OLED. It's basically just LED, but marketed up by Samsung. They also lack Dolby Vision, which was a dealbreaker for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I love everything about my LG OLED B8. Low input lag as well on game mode.

Except for this:

gradient-color-banding.png

Some say having my TV on PC mode with HDR might be causing the problem and I should take it off on PC mode. We'll see.

Plum

May 31, 2018
*Comes into thread looking to see whether I should buy an OLED or QLED*

*Leaves it with more anxiety over any potential purchase because of HDMI 2:1*

I just want a new TV, dammit.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Its also for frame rate as far as im aware. This is why youre already seeing Xbox say things like 4k 120 fps, which would only be capable with HDMI 2.1. Granted i dont think devs would ever do 120 fps, but thats an entirely different subject.

Something else HDMI 2.1 does is VRR (Variable Refresh Rate).
HDMI 2.1 allows for 4k 120fps. And trust me, once you go 120fps it's difficult to go back to 60fps (never mind 30fps lol). The motion clarity of 120fps combined with OLED's instantaneous display response is something to behold. No motion blur, and no need for any flicker or black frame insertion to achieve it. This year's LG OLED's (B9/C9/E9/W9) are getting a HDMI 2.1 update via firmware. They already support 120fps at 1440p, HDMI VRR (and soon support for Nvidia's RTX 20xx cards too) and ALLM, but will support 4k 120fps too following the update. Samsung's TVs will not get full HDMI 2.1 support but they do support VRR and ALLM regardless.
Thanks for the precisions :)

Read a bit, and QLED are still backlighted like LCD screens at the moment, is that correct? This is confusing lol, I thought QLED was objectively better than OLED but apparently it's clearly not yet, because it still need a backlight, and can't turn of pixel independently to have true blacks? Did I get that correctly?