Jul 26, 2018
Having finished The Last of Us Pt. II on Friday night I keep thinking to myself how accomplished the game was and how this 30+ hour masterpiece and how the vision to see it realized must have been extremely taxing. The game walks many many fine lines and I think it pulls them off with aplomb.

Neil Druckmann deserves so much praise in my opinion. This man rebooted UC4 development and got it out the door in 2.5 years... After having come off the studios at the time most ambitious title in TLoU Pt I. Before the rave reviews and playing the game for myself I was always slightly wary of if Druckmann could replicate the level of success he had come to enjoy without having Strayley there as the anchor... My doubts were unfounded and my expectations blown away. Give this man the keys to any kingdom he can do it all.

My most anticipated game is whatver this gentleman is doing next. I don't even have to see it or know what it is.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure Neil is going to be the first to say that it wasn't a sole effort especially in the case of UC4 which was a joint venture with Straley.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Eh, I dont think its that special. Gameplay is kinda standard and uninspired. Also kojima doesn't belong on that list at all either lol.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean there's a huge part of ND's work environment that as director this guy fully embraces that you have just not mentioned for some reason. You are aware of what kind of environment that is right, and that it's worth mentioning in relation to the studio director's legacy?

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I know this is in good faith, but this thread is not going to end well, in one direction or the other.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm really not a fan of this person cult status in the games industry, especially given what we know about the labour conditions at Naughty Dog. Let's leave it at The Last of Us Part 2 being an excellent team effort.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
No way. He's too busy chasing movies to be a good video game director and I say that as somebody who thought both TLoU games were fantastic and the sequel was even better.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
This thread already showing the usual hate this guy and ND get.

I'm sure he has a lot of input, but these games are the work of a team. And yes , ND is there, with the top developers

ArchLector

Banned
Apr 10, 2020
To me personally he is up there with Dan Houser and the two of them are the absolute best in the business.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't like Uncharted 4 that much, but TLOU2 is the best game of all these creators. But I am not a fan of person cult. Neil is a great director but it's always a team effort to make a game.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Miyamoto hasn't done fk'all in a long time besides adding forced gimmicks into otherwise fine games.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Why Is Kojima there with Miyamoto? There is a big difference in the number of franchises they influenced. It is like comparing Spielberg to Lucas. One is prolific, the other isn't.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Those are game designers that defined genres. Truthfully David Cage would get on that list first (edit: actually I suppose Yu Suzuki might take that place).

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the quality of the games, the gameplay, and the gameplay mechanics aren't even close to those imo.

This thread already showing the usual hate this guy and ND get.
Or just a little criticism- hate's a little strong of a word don't you think?

I seriously don't think modern ND games are all that, gameplay-wise.
Basically. They have a lot of things going for them for others that I don't give a fuck about, but gameplay is certainly not their "better than Mario" trick.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
To me personally he is up there with Dan Houser and the two of them are the absolute best in the business. A
Yeah I was gonna say, he's up there with The Housers, as in that he ruins the lives of his workers with the insane crunch culture at ND just the same as The Housers did at Rockstar.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was gonna say, he's up there with The Housers, as in that he ruins the lives of his workers with the insane crunch culture at ND just the same as The Housers did at Rockstar.

Careful, people are going to be running to defend crunch now " oh everybody does it, if they aren't they are lying"

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I feel like people are overly critical with TLOU2's gameplay. The gameplay is improved across the board compared to the first game with stellar animations yet still feels good to control.

Conpared to RDR2 which is pretty much still extremely similar to RDR1 and GTAV but the crazy animations made it feel stiff and worse to play.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Little criticism. Sure.
2gO3XUH.gif