Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Fresnel lenses has a major advantage in that they are very thin (1) in contrast to normal lenses (2). This is very beneficial when trying to make compact VR glasses which is why they have become the norm over the last few years. The downside however is how light gathers at the sharp edges and how 'god rays' seemingly radiate outwards from the lenses.

Sony has a patent from 2020 however where they seem to be coating these sharp edges with a light absorbing material of some kind:

RoadToVR states that the "PSVR2 might be the first headset to truly address the problem."

There's a good deal more in the article including alternative ways of doing light absorption (embedded inside lenses) that's also part of the patent:
www.roadtovr.com

A Sony Patent Could Bring Next-gen Fresnel Lenses to PSVR 2

We learned last week that PSVR 2 will use Fresnel lenses, which have a range of advantages over traditional lenses, but also come with a big downside: god rays. However, Sony may have a trick up its sleeve that could give the headset’s Fresnel lenses a big advantage over the competition. As we...

Deleted member 8831

Oct 26, 2017
Dear god, that would be truly incredible if true.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Did PSVR1 have fresnel lenses? I've honestly never noticed this phenomenon while playing.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Patent actually seems pretty straight forward. Seems like the trick would be the tolerances to make it effective and consistent for production.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
So those fresnel lenses are meant to be smaller than the ones in the first psvr right ? Should we hope for a smaller headset ?

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is really going all out with this headset, especially if this sticks. Really hope the rumors about hybrid games are true.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I really hope this thing is fully BC and also works with PC so that I could theoretically replace both my PSVR1 and Rift S. If it was, I could stomach the likely higher price point. If it fails either or both of those then it's a much harder sell for me until the price comes down.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
So those fresnel lenses are meant to be smaller than the ones in the first psvr right ? Should we hope for a smaller headset ?
Two tiny screens and much thinner optics, there is hope. It'll have a few cameras though, so it probaby won't be as small as old aviator goggles like some of the novelty VR headsets that are out now.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing that it's using fresnel lenses at all. Reducing/Eliminating glare/godrays goes a long way in making them tolerable (see the G2's pristine IQ) but they will still most likely have a small sweet spot and overall area of clarity (see every single HMD that uses them).