Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
My Charging Station order now says "Delivers February 22nd - 28th, 2023", when it used to say "February 22nd". 😐

Yes for me too now, but look at the cancel button, it only says "cancel guidelines" now (or something similar, Stornierungsrichtlinien in German).
Headset still has a cancel button but the station is in preparation!
So.....

giphy.webp

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Semi-curious if this is just part of Sony's drip-feed deal they've been doing with their embargoes and everything. Keep releasing things bit-by-bit to keep it in the news cycle as opposed to them spending a ton on marketing. Having other developers quiet, they could be holding off waiting on Sony to give the go-ahead. Then again, whatever update they have planned may just not be ready at the moment.
For Hello Games, this has become their norm. Generally they have a few smaller updates and 1 larger update each year. The smaller ones are not announced with any fanfare typically, all they get is a cryptic Sean Murray tweet just a few days before they go live. The larger update they may sometimes do a little bit more media/preview for.

So whatever Sony's embargoes may be, it's probably not cramping Hello Games' style in terms of announcements.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I am super happy with the price. If it had been cheaper it would have cut some features. The first to go would have been the resistive triggers and advanced rumble in the controllers as well as in the headset. Had that not been enough to hit target price then we would have lost either the OLED for LCD or the eyetracking. Most likely the OLED since eyetracking is contributing to making the console able to output PS5 VR visuals.

Imagine that. A non-OLED PSVR2. Urgh!
At the end of the day I'd have to go with better quality even if it's a higher price. There'll be price drops down the road. I'm not getting a better headset until PS VR3. One changes, one doesn't.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Cool, i'm gonna give Village a good go after noping out of RE7 pretty quickly, the setting is less intense than the Baker place thank god.

There are a few brief areas that are very, very creepy (I'd say creepier than just about anything in 7) but the majority of the game is more action-oriented than scary, imo.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Anything else I should know about RE8 before I play it for the first time in 7 days time?

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to post a complete plot synopsis for me?

So, the werewolves take several shots to kill, shoot the 'cyber enemies' in their power cores.
Thanks!

Thanks to Primal Sage for your efforts on the thread, it's been great.

It's a direct continuation of RE7, so you'd be best off playing that now before release, I know that much. The game would make a lot less sense without that first.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Also it has a cable for the motor attached to the main cable for the vibration feedback. Hopefully this puts to rest any notion that the cable can be removed for potential wireless. Also doesn't seem easily replaceable because of that motor cable being a part of it.
I don't see why that's a showstopper. Maybe for a 3rd party just trying to reverse engineer things that's a no-go but, for Sony, why would they have any issue replacing that? It clearly wasn't that hard to unplug and detach, just provide a different halo unit with the same plug.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I thought about getting RE Village for the PSVR2 launch and that video reminded me of the fucking doll section, so that is not happening anymore.

Reminder that RE Village is half off for the next day or so.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I love seeing how the band is flexible around the sides and rigid in the back. My weird big head always hurts on the sides with the Quest 2 Elite Strap, so it's so nice hearing Sony putting in this effort.

Just for fun:

- RE8 on VR2
image.png

- RE8 on Flatscreen
image.png

Keep in mind that I had to crop the non-VR screenshot to make it match, which makes it a bit blurrier than the full image actually is. But it's fair to say it looks very, very similar.
Daaaaang!

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad I'm not the only one focused on how easy it was to split both ends.
I am with you androvsky, ready to hop again on the wireless PSVR2 train.
It makes too much sense to release a new headstrap as an accessory later on with an integrated wireless module. That would bring a new revenue stream later on its life cycle and keep it relevant against other PC VR headsets.

I remember seeing lots of Era folk speculating that the Wifi 6 chip on the PS5 was going to be used for VR during the launch, and seeing this teardown video now only reinforces it.

The one thing I worry about is eye-tracking not making this realistic.

I believe I read eye-tracking on the $1500 Quest Pro brings down it's battery life down to 1hr was it?

OP
OP
Primal Sage

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
PSA: For those who did not claim Saints And Sinners 1 on PS Plus in 2021 (or who currently have no PS Plus sub), the game is half price on US PSN right now. Sale lasts until Thursday next week. I believe it's even lower if you are a plus subscriber, but I can't check that myself.

The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners Tourist Edition

The Aftershocks Update - 9232021 You’ve decided the fate of the Reserve, but the story is far from over. Throughout New Orleans, supply caches once thought destroyed by the Tourist’s actions are washing up across the flooded city, and Tower and Reclaimed alike will do everything they can to...

The above is the PS4 version. It will entitle you to a free PS5/PSVR2 upgrade on March 21st.

Edit: No Man's Sky is supposed to be discounted too but discount does not seem to be live yet. Sale should start on the 15th. Double discounts if you are a Plus subscriber.

Last edited:

jim2011

Oct 27, 2017
PSA: For those who did not claim Saints And Sinners 1 on PS Plus in 2021 (or who currently have no PS Plus sub), the game is half price on US PSN right now. Sale lasts until Thursday next week. I believe it's even lower if you are a plus subscriber, but I can't check that myself.

The Aftershocks Update - 9232021 You’ve decided the fate of the Reserve, but the story is far from over. Throughout New Orleans, supply caches once thought destroyed by the Tourist’s actions are washing up across the flooded city, and Tower and Reclaimed alike will do everything they can to...

The above is the PS4 version. It will entitle you to a free PS5/PSVR2 upgrade on March 21st.

Edit: No Man's Sky is supposed to be discounted too but discount does not seem to be live yet. Sale should start on the 15th. Double discounts if you are a Plus subscriber.

Gotta love that since I redeemed the PS Plus version, I can't even buy the linked Tourist Edition. Do we know if the PS5 upgrade will give it to us permanently or will it still be dependent on PS Plus membership? I've seen upgrades work both ways.

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Cinema Mode: The resolution boost is going to make this much more comparable to gaming on TV. I've actually been using PSVR for playing online MP games as local MP for over 100hrs in the past year or so. As I only have the one TV, but with a PS4 and PS5 hooked up, I've been using the PSVR as a second TV to play Aliens Fireteam Elite with my wife on the couch next to me. Who says VR is anti-social?!

For gamers in similar position, multiple consoles(or PC) with only 1 TV, turning online MP into local MP with partner or kids is IMO a killer feature. Now we just need more consistent cross-play support.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Is that actually worth it tho?

Cause that is $24.99 and S&S2 is $39.99, so buying them apart even with one on sale is $64.99 + tax. But buying both together in a bundle is $59.99.

Plus you also get the Special Edition of both in the bundle.

OP
OP
Primal Sage

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017

Cause that is $24.99 and S&S2 is $39.99, so buying them apart even with one on sale is $64.99 + tax. But buying both together in a bundle is $59.99.

True. But with the PS Plus discount I think it should be something like 13$.

Oct 25, 2017
I need to quickly finish RE7... we don't know if they'll update RE7 with PSVR2 patch are we?
Capcom did recently release a PS5 version though, so their code base is up to date with current APIs. It's possible they're working on it, but it would require extra dev to enable the Sense controllers. If Sony's exclusivity deal is up, they could be working on updating it for all modern VR platforms. That would be an incentive to update the control scheme.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Anything come out about the rumored surprise for launch? People thinking it's a Astrobot thing? Or was it debunked?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta love that since I redeemed the PS Plus version, I can't even buy the linked Tourist Edition. Do we know if the PS5 upgrade will give it to us permanently or will it still be dependent on PS Plus membership? I've seen upgrades work both ways.
Weird, I was able to buy the Tourist upgrade from the same version a couple months ago. I'm in the US though, not sure if that matters.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017

There's a $10 upgrade for the Tourist Edition that seems like the better way to do that.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I may be over hyping myself here a bit, but does anyone else see slight parallels of the PSVR2 to the PS2?

Obviously not in terms of the worldwide fervor around the launch back in 2000, but in terms of the leap in quality the experience is sounding like it will be over the PSVR1.

In an era where new console hardware brings notable, but mostly incremental, improvements over the last gen, the PSVR2 is capturing some of that feeling of the bigger leaps we'd get in the 90s and early 00s.

Everything seems like such a massive improvement over PSVR1.
-Ease of use
-Comfort
-Image clarity
-HDR/OLED
-Eye Tracking
-Control Method
-Graphical Capabilities

It just feels like Sony has put together a package of specs/features greater than the sum of their parts that could get developers truly excited to engage with. And if enough of that excitement translates into actual support and software, the PSVR2 library could be something special 5 years from now.

Again, prob my hype levels reaching critical right before launch. Actual reviews might come out that reveal some glaring issue that destroys all that, but I'm having a hard time thinking of one.

Its the PS2 of VR!

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
The point of something like Atmos is that you don't need to have a speaker in the appropriate place. Modern surround can do object-based sound imaging, using combinations of the speakers around you to simulate something in a direction where there is no speaker: between speakers, above, below, whatever.

And you don't need some kind of acoustic lab setup to achieve this, you just need a good setup with the speakers spread out in a recommended orientation and accurate system calibration. Put some care and effort into the setup and have things configured properly and it'll be a great experience. This is, again, if you're in a place without a lot of ambient noise.

A well set-up atmos system is great of course, but there are limitations in how it works.
the system is calibrated for a listening position. You can get more seating positions but you need to add speakers in order to get a good frequency response across the different positions. Which is why a cinema will have 32 or even 62 speakers.
Also the frequency response will drastically change just from the room modes. Bass will change a huge amount for example as you get closer to a wall. Yes you can use DSP but it can only do so much. Also most speakers have pretty drastic frequency changes as you move off-axis from the tweeter. Which is why you'll have your speakers pointed directly at your listening position. I suppose they could be mounted on motorised gimbals.

Home atmos is actually not the same as cinema atmos. And even in the cinema, most of what's heard is in the Bed layer, and the objects are a much lower bitrate than the bed layer. If you could only hear the objects it would sound quite bad. I believe that you don't even have objects activate until you have 5.1.4 speakers, or it can just use the bed, but that may be wrong.
so the PS5 is outputting a bed layer to the avr.

you could theoretically track your movement through the room and adjust trim and rotate the bed layer as you move, to match your head position, however because surround sound relies on very exact timing to fool the brain, and that's why speakers are ideally equidistant from you, the further you get from a speaker, the more the whole sound output from all speakers would have to be delayed. So you would end up with sound not matching the video by a fraction of a second, which is what the illusion is based on.

Probably the biggest thing you'd miss out on when not using binaural audio is the ability to use HRTF. With headphones using binaural audio you can simulate a sound being very close to your ear. You can simulate a mouth whispering very close to your ear, at a very specific distance and position. That is something you can't do with a surround speaker setup. Sound cannot come close, it always appears to be some distance away. If you could sit in a cinema and hear a whisper in your ear, or a car motor behind your head, or even a sound inside your head, that would be a game changer.

I will definitely be using my surround speakers to play some games that I'll be seated in, like GT7. Some things can't be replicated by headphones, you can't beat a big subwoofer and speakers for that kind of sound imo.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I've said this more than a handful of times across multiple different threads but people who think the PSVR2 is unreasonably priced really need to look into the current VR landscape and what's being offered by other companies and for how much. The PSVR2 is top of the line technology and, for what it's offering, it's an incredibly fair and reasonable price.

Whether you want to spend $550 on anything is obviously a personal matter but there's just no argument to be made that the PSVR2 should be launching at a lower asking price. If anything, it should probably be more expensive considering the tech it's packing.

If the argument here is "the laymen won't spend $550 on any gaming peripheral," the reality here is that VR, in its current form, isn't for them. We're not at the point where comparable technology can be offered at $250.

Again: I never said the value isn't in the box for $500. I was responding to someone saying this could be VR's PS2 and on that topic, I think the price is too high to get it that kind of market penetration, for the same reason you stated: people not being willing to spend $500 on anything for entertainment, especially a peripheral.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, people were probably fooled by the combination of directional sound and the simple motor. That will fool your brain into thinking "something touched the left side of my head".

…which is pretty cool actually. It might not be physically directional but if the brain thinks it is… :-)

Yeah, I guess the important thing is that people like it, so it must work reasonably well!
This tell me the 3D audio must be really good then.

Yes for me too now, but look at the cancel button, it only says "cancel guidelines" now (or something similar, Stornierungsrichtlinien in German).
Headset still has a cancel button but the station is in preparation!
So.....

giphy.webp
Yup, this is the only thing I check PS Direct for, the cancel guidelines, lol. I will get the tracking info in an email, so thats whatever. That cancel guidelines just eases my mind because I know everything went thru with no problems because I can no longer cancel the order.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Again: I never said the value isn't in the box for $500. I was responding to someone saying this could be VR's PS2 and on that topic, I think the price is too high to get it that kind of market penetration, for the same reason you stated: people not being willing to spend $500 on anything for entertainment, especially a peripheral.
The price will fall. It doesn't need to sell 10 million in a year. Let's see how things go but it's possible this could be a lot cheaper in a few years.

Oct 25, 2017
The US got a much nicer price than the rest of the world though.
In Australia the prices are much more comparable: PS2 launched in Australia for AU$750. PSVR2 is AU$880.

The real trick PS2 pulled off was being able to be scaled down and sold a lot cheaper over time - which kept sales ticking.
But we're not seeing that with modern electronics - heck, prices are going up instead of down.
PSVR2 isn't even much more expensive than PSVR + Move controllers - but you wouldn't presume that from most reactions to the price.
PSVR bundles did end up reasonably cheap though, so who knows...

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The thing is most PCVR headsets have not dropped in prices at all in the last 3-4 years. PSVR did get a price cut but not sure if it'll happen again with this one. Tech components are just getting so expensive.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I hope it does get some significant price drops. In spite of what a nice product it is, I don't see it gaining a lot of traction until then.

But recently VR prices have been going up rather than down, as companies move away from the subsidization model. So we'll see.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why that's a showstopper. Maybe for a 3rd party just trying to reverse engineer things that's a no-go but, for Sony, why would they have any issue replacing that? It clearly wasn't that hard to unplug and detach, just provide a different halo unit with the same plug.

People were suggesting the cable alone before and that clearly would not work here not to mention it's not even user replaceable because it's got another cable spawning off it. Even ignoring the cable alone, that does not look like a consumer friendly way of detaching the entire band and expecting people to replace it on there own. I don't see any way Sony makes that something the consumer has to undo and replace to make it wireless in that form. Down the line in a revision, maybe, but not as it's currently designed.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Between the RE8 trailer and the meditative hardware breakdown, this might be the thing I'm most excited about. I've come full-circle from being barely interested last year to counting down the days until mine arrives. LOL