reksveks

May 17, 2022
USD to JPY was 104.6920 back in 11/20, it is now 144.7536.
Cheers so the de is still not in-line with the currency changes but it's probably something like a 10% difference.

Ps I am not arguing that the usd:jpy isn't the main factor here. Also I think buying PS5's in Japan probably was a great deal for a while if you was a tourist or had incoming coming in as usd.

Jun 12, 2018
Cheers so the de is still not in-line with the currency changes but it's probably something like a 10% difference.

Ps I am not arguing that the usd:jpy isn't the main factor here. Also I think buying PS5's in Japan probably was a great deal for a while if you was a tourist or had incoming coming in as usd.
Being a US tourist in Japan is like having everything be 40% off.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Xbox recently also got a price jump in Japan too. Not high like Sony though.

I meant, Xbox in America doesn't jump up $100 if the USD becomes weak.

I understand that imported goods become more expensive when your local currency is weak. But isn't PS5 made in Japan? Maybe it isn't and it's an imported good these days. I don't keep up with where systems are made anymore. I thought the Sony and Nintendo systems were made in Japan.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I...don't understand how the strength of the yen affects this unless the PS5's are being made outside of Japan and Sony is taking losses in manufacturing?
It's a global chain with the biggest cost factors being the final assembly in China and the SoCs from Taiwan. Besides every resource is dealt in USD, and cheap Japanese manual labor doesn't affect it. In regards to video games, it affects having cheaper production budgets for software.

Twelvy

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
Are Japan retailers aggressive with trade-ins? I remember last gen when we got PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, Amazon did have good trade ins if you purchase the new console.
I have never done that but looking at the price they are buying used games, maybe not very good.
However, I can maybe make some profit by selling my launch PS5 on mercari...
Who would have guessed that PS5 was a good asset to put your money for short term gain?

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I...don't understand how the strength of the yen affects this unless the PS5's are being made outside of Japan and Sony is taking losses in manufacturing?

Like it doesn't matter what 50000 yen or 70000 yen translates to a non-Japanese person. The Japan individual living in Japan is making Yen at their job and if they were making say 60000yen a week at their job in 2020 and they're still making 60000yen a week at their job in 2024, the PS5 going from 50000yen to 70000yen means it's become more expensive to them.

I mean when the US Dollar moves up and down compared to other countries, goods made in America like say the Xbox, don't just randomly change price?
The products are usually pegged against USD, the XS also increased their prices based on currency fluctuations. This is something companies regularly do and Sony/MS made these price changes even last gen.

Yeah they are a little higher but maybe offsetting a bigger disparity on the horizon. With how much the currency has devalued there is probably a growing export market so it makes sense.

People won't magically earn more money just because their currency is weaker against another...
For better or worse, this has been a regular practice for a currency outside of USD. Back during the PS4 launch days, the CAD was basically on par with USD and prices reflected that.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Like it doesn't matter what 50000 yen or 70000 yen translates to a non-Japanese person. The Japan individual living in Japan is making Yen at their job and if they were making say 60000yen a week at their job in 2020 and they're still making 60000yen a week at their job in 2024, the PS5 going from 50000yen to 70000yen means it's become more expensive to them.

This right here. More people need to remember this when looking at regional prices. As someone who gets paid in yen, it's fucking wild I got a ps5 at launch for 50,000 and now it's 80,000. The equivalent of $800 is wild to ask. Sony and Xbox are well in prebuilt PC range now in Japan and it's crazy to think. For what it's worth Xbox announced their own price increase in Japan a few weeks ago as well.

If pro is really dropping soon the thing is likely over 100,000 for people living in Japan…

I don't know anyone who could just consider this a fun entertainment purchase at this point. You gotta plan this purchase out like a major appliance now

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
People won't magically earn more money just because their currency is weaker against another...

Yeah looking at it as a direct conversion to the dollar doesn't quite show just how huge an increase this is for Japanese customers. They don't suddenly have giant wage increases because the yen has weakened.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Has there been a string of terribly-performing games? Feesl like Wukong is the only recent one and you could argue that's because it's poorly optimized.
The issues are usually with games that try to jam RT or both high end UE5 features like Lumen and Nanite in performance modes. We saw that with Jedi Survivor and when an update removed RT, performance mode is a solid 60fps. The amount of games suffering like this are not many though.

Refrain

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
So Nintendo is allowed to deal with the worldwide financial conditions, but Sony isn't?
What I mean is that even with price increased, people would still buy Nintendo console here in Japan. PS5 was already struggling right now even without the price increase. All my friends have Nintendo switch but none of them has a PS5 or even think about buying one.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
hard times in Japan with the Yen. This shouldn't shock anyone given Sony did the same in other territories a few years back.

Price drops just don't happen anymore. Even on PC the baseline for acceptable performance is kept high because low-end cards are still way more expensive than what they were in the past.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Makes sense, weak currency but put the blame on the shoulders of your potencial clients and increase the console price to astronomical figures.

Just because the currency is weak doesn't mean people start getting paid more than before.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Have components also not increased over recent years due to JPY weakening?
I have colleagues in Japan for professional equipment and they pretty state for years now that prices are hiking about 20% per year, especially for sought out products who already have their market shares.
I mean Switch 2 will be a brand new console, any price increase compared to the previous gen will be taken much more easily by the public.

PS5 is almost 4 years old
We could also argue now that the Switch is painfully overpriced for the "cavemen" tech it has now for years.
What I mean is that even with price increased, people would still buy Nintendo console here in Japan. PS5 was already struggling right now even without the price increase. All my friends have Nintendo switch but none of them has a PS5 or even think about buying one.
Sure, but the answer is now dumping the prices around 40%? I hate to defend conglomerates, but the solution is here increasing wages not dumping prices.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
The issues are usually with games that try to jam RT or both high end UE5 features like Lumen and Nanite in performance modes. We saw that with Jedi Survivor and when an update removed RT, performance mode is a solid 60fps. The amount of games suffering like this are not many though.

I guess UE3 was the norm in the PS360 era and that caused struggles, so it's nothing new. It doesn't feel like it, but we are nearly 4 years into the gen so these consoles are far from the cutting edge. They are starting to feel a bit old by the time current gen exclusives have started to arrive (especially without DLSS).

Anyway, this price rise is taking the piss. I will never pay more for a product then it's launch price, full stop.

bleits

Oct 14, 2023
So Nintendo is allowed to deal with the worldwide financial conditions, but Sony isn't?
Well yes. They can't even sell somewhat close to a 7 year old console, what's gonna happen when the Switch 2 releases? Shitty situation because not raising the price might not even make a difference but if you raise it you're basically waving the white flag and telling everyone that you're done in Japan.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Was looking up the price of PS5s earlier in china and I noticed a lot of Japanese stock. Wonder if grey market has something to do with this.
it has everything to do with this. if japanese market actually bought a tons of sw and services on PS5 Sony might have been willing to eat the losses regarding the hw margin but because most of console are simply exported they don't want to.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Makes sense, weak currency but put the blame on the shoulders of your potencial clients and increase the console price to astronomical figures.

Just because the currency is weak doesn't mean people start getting paid more than before.

Yup. That last part is Japan in a nutshell. Even when the companies that are a part of Japans business lobby announce wage increases of several single digit percents, that doesn't even account for something like 60%+ of the country's workforce.

All the post pandemic price hikes have been hitting Japanese residents hard. Not just electronics it's been everything while most citizens have not gotten a wage increase to compensate

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I understand why but this is going to really hurt PS5 sales in Japan for the rest of the generation. At least bundle some digital copies of games in with it to make it sting less?

Baoben

Oct 10, 2021
The Yen has totally fucked a lot of things for me these past two years, and the government here shows absolutely zero signs of doing anything about it.

I guess a Pro might be on the cards after all.

Edit: I work at a university and from what I can gather people in my role have been paid the same since the 90s, maybe even earlier. It's absolutely insane.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
People really didn't want to believe them when they said don't expect price cuts. They meant that shit.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
hard times in Japan with the Yen. This shouldn't shock anyone given Sony did the same in other territories a few years back.

Yeah.

If I imported PS5 with that 66980 price I'd get it almost 100 EUR cheaper than the store price even with import charges accounted for.

It's not easy for Japanese customers and their economy is fucked in many ways, but there is a reason to keep the prices somewhat equal between regions.

They weren't going to lower prices in US and EU because of this.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
No wonder Capcom going all in on PC xD

But yeah that's crazy. But we still have people thinking the Switch 2 will cost less than the OLED while everything is getting more expensive.

ATXAlchemy

Nov 1, 2017
This right here. More people need to remember this when looking at regional prices. As someone who gets paid in yen, it's fucking wild I got a ps5 at launch for 50,000 and now it's 80,000. The equivalent of $800 is wild to ask. Sony and Xbox are well in prebuilt PC range now in Japan and it's crazy to think. For what it's worth Xbox announced their own price increase in Japan a few weeks ago as well.

If pro is really dropping soon the thing is likely over 100,000 for people living in Japan…

I don't know anyone who could just consider this a fun entertainment purchase at this point. You gotta plan this purchase out like a major appliance now

Yup. What people here don't consider is that there are also other things that increased in price in Japan. Not just the PS5. Buying power was already taking a hit.

I understand why but this is going to really hurt PS5 sales in Japan for the rest of the generation. At least bundle some digital copies of games in with it to make it sting less?

My hope is that this will indirectly help more people to consider PC. Then maybe Vanillaware will port their games to PC so I can buy them for the nth time.

PC has been gaining a lot of traction in Japan in recent years, thanks to most major Japanese developers now releasing on Steam on top of streaming (vtubers). When I was active in Armored Core 6 PvP, there were more PC streamers than PS4/5 ones.

Last edited:

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
So with the revised price of both Microsoft and Sony consoles, difference between the Series S and DE is now 28000 yen. Yes?