BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
I'm having a problem with both of my DualSense controllers and I'm wondering if I'm the only one. And if not, is there a solution?

Every now and then my controllers seem to have a mind of their own. For example, in Nioh 2 (PS5 version) the camera will just start randomly spinning, almost as if a load of inputs have been queued and released at once.

My 6yo son is big into Subnautica at present and he's experiencing similar things, although he doesn't know how to explain it properly to me.

I've also experienced weirdness at the OS level, so for example scrolling through my games list doesn't work, then all of a sudden, it'll scroll past 5 games in an instant. Again feels like inputs are being queued.

Anyone got any experience of this? I've tried a factory reset of my PS5 and controllers, yet the problem still persists. My PS5 lives in exactly the same place in my AV cabinet that my PS4 Pro did. It seems unlikely that I'd have two defective controllers exhibiting the same issues.

I'm at my wits end and am seriously considering getting rid of the thing.

Edit: It's not drift, I had one controller that did that and I've had it replaced. This sense of lag/latency affects everything on the controller, including button presses and the D-pad.

Last edited:

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I have this problem but I use dualsense on PC, so I assume there's some driver level problems and it's a bit different

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't know about the Dualsense but the DS4 would sometimes act this way when I would use it back and forth between the PS4 and PC. That would get solved by resetting it though which you've obviously already done.

Maybe try using them wired to check if it's actually the connection or just drift.

OP
OP
BradleyLove

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like maybe an intermittent drift issue? Something with the sticks
My PS5 controller drifts to the left, I think you are experiencing the same.
It sounds like drifting. I had the OS issue on PS4 later on its life cycle, it sounds reallly odd that it is on PS5 too.
It's definitely not drift as it's affecting buttons and D-pad too.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a smart watch like an Apple Watch?
I have it with my ps4 that when the ps4 is hidden a little bit and I'm using my smart watch I have issues like that.

also how far away do you sit from the ps5 while playing?

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like interference. Try to make sure the PS5 has a decent line of sight with the controller.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I had this the other day. I went into settings and turned Bluetooth on and off, fixed it

OP
OP
BradleyLove

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
Do you have a smart watch like an Apple Watch?
I have it with my ps4 that when the ps4 is hidden a little bit and I'm using my smart watch I have issues like that.

also how far away do you sit from the ps5 while playing?
I do have an Apple Watch. I'll try without and see what happens—thanks. And I sit about seven feet back.

Sounds like interference. Try to make sure the PS5 has a decent line of sight with the controller.
Definitely this. It's nothing mechanical, it's transmission polution or something physically being a barrier or interfering.
Why would Bluetooth need line of sight? As to pollution, the only thing that has changed in my setup is PS4 Pro for PS5. Is PS5 really that sensitive?

Yeah I had this the other day. I went into settings and turned Bluetooth on and off, fixed it
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Why would Bluetooth need line of sight? As to pollution, the only thing that has changed in my setup is PS4 Pro for PS5. Is PS5 really that sensitive?

It doesn't need it but your signal will be more reliable the less is in the way. DS5 uses a lot more bandwidth than DS4 as it has four very high quality audio channels (two for headphones, two for rumble/haptics) compared to the 2 very poor quality ones on DS4, so it does need to have a stronger signal.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017

I had this and couldn't be fixed. When the character stops running in the video it's not because you told it to stop it just stops running on its own.

it's more than just stick drift

the face bottoms didn't work either

I played all the way through demons souls and one day the controller just didn't work right anymore. The same controller got stick drift and also wouldn't tell my ps5 to move the characters correctly with other buttons also. So if you're running with circle ⭕ it just stops working like 2-4 seconds after you've already started running.

new controller is fine doesn't have drift or other issues

Last edited:
OP
OP
BradleyLove

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
I have an update on this, and it's weird.

I borrowed my mate's PS5 and the exact same issues were occurring for me. I was perplexed as my mate has even more Bluetooth devices in close proximity to his PS5 than I (he has a Switch, soundbar, Sky Q, and his TV, all with Bluetooth).

The biggest difference between our set-ups is that I have my PSVR permanently set up. I unplugged my PS5 from the PSVR breakout box, and ta-da!--the problem disappeared.

It's so weird as I don't believe the PSVR breakout box has any Bluetooth in it. Furthermore it wasn't introducing any visual lag on screen. So perhaps there's something screwy with PSVR and controllers. What makes it more annoying for me, is that I first noticed this issue when playing SW Squadrons in VR on my PS5, but I'd forgotten about that.

So yeah, if you're having controller issues, try removing your PSVR from the mix.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018

I had this and couldn't be fixed. When the character stops running in the video it's not because you told it to stop it just stops running on its own.

it's more than just stick drift

the face bottoms didn't work either

I played all the way through demons souls and one day the controller just didn't work right anymore. The same controller got stick drift and also wouldn't tell my ps5 to move the characters correctly with other buttons also. So if you're running with circle ⭕ it just stops working like 2-4 seconds after you've already started running.

new controller is fine doesn't have drift or other issues

I dont have a PS5 but I got a dualsense and had very similar issues to this video while playing FFXIV. The way it manifests there is my character would 'lurch' forwards and do it more and more often over time. Constant casts being interrupted and stuff.

Probably the worst controller I've ever used tbh

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I dont have a PS5 but I got a dualsense and had very similar issues to this video while playing FFXIV. The way it manifests there is my character would 'lurch' forwards and do it more and more often over time. Constant casts being interrupted and stuff.

Probably the worst controller I've ever used tbh
Imo the dualsense is just new rumble but the same unreliable tech. But that's beside the point.

the controller that had this issue also got stick drift bad

I know drift and this are different. This occurred when using and holding face buttons and the connection between controller and system was intermittently failing.

Id like to hear from others if they ever had this type of problem. And that controller is gone and my new controller works.

i have zero Bluetooth devices near my system btw

May 22, 2018
A couple of weeks ago I bought a new Dualsense because my launch one seemed to all of a sudden suffer similar connectivity issues. Definitely Bluetooth lag or interference because multiple buttons wouldn't work and then BAM all inputs at once. Haven't had one issue with my new one though.

Punxsutawney

Apr 18, 2018
Oof, I just got a brand new ps5 and am having massive issues with this. Tried the ps4 controller and still getting the same. Unplayable unless I plug the controller in via USB. Tried all of the above and don't have PSVR. Any advice?

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Oof, I just got a brand new ps5 and am having massive issues with this. Tried the ps4 controller and still getting the same. Unplayable unless I plug the controller in via USB. Tried all of the above and don't have PSVR. Any advice?

You don't happen to have a baby monitor, so you? My PS4 controllers would have issues with my baby monitor.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I was just having some bad lag a few minutes ago for the first time since getting the system at launch. Playing Horizon: Forbidden West. No idea what caused it but turned the controller off and back on and now it's working fine again.

Punxsutawney

Apr 18, 2018
Update: five long weeks and a whole lot of emails later, I returned my ps5 to eb games and received a replacement. Tried it this morning, lo and behold, same issue. Foolishly I didn't copy down the serial number to see if they actually did swap it for a different model.

I have had issues with 2.4g wireless interference in this apt before so it is probably that. Will take it to another house this weekend to try it.

So frustrating that the new, rare, super expensive model plays like shit whilst the old model (ps4) is totally fine.