Oct 31, 2017
1024px-PS2-Versions.jpg

ps2-games.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
ps2-game-spring-sale.jpg

next-gen-graphics-part-2-playstation-2-dreamcast-nintendo-64-and-more.jpg

Dr.Ifto

Oct 27, 2017
First console I waited in line for. Such an awesome console, but man the launch line up sucked.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy how good and classy the PS2 and the Slim look compared to the current consoles. Damn.

Oct 27, 2017
PS2 is still the most satisfying console in terms of genre variety. There is something for everyone and tons of niche stuff.

I gotta dig out my PS2 from the storage and play some God Hand.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Should play some Shadow of Rome or some Firefighter FD 18 today. Lucked out in starting to collect for it last year when it was still pretty cheap and nabbed a lot of great stuff to play.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
I will never forget playing GTA 3 for the first time. That game blew my 11 year old (ish) mind.

I would spend hours and hours just driving around the city causing mayhem.

Gaming took such a huge step forward the day GTA 3 was released

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
I will never forget playing GTA 3 for the first time. That game blew my 11 year old (ish) mind.

This was the first screenshot:

gta3_1.jpg

www.ign.com

First Grand Theft Auto 3 Screenshot - IGN

While it's a much bigger phenomenon in Europe than in North America, the Grand Theft Auto series is nonetheless a big deal for gamers pretty much anywhere. Now, everyone can see the first screenshot of Rockstar's upcoming PC/PS2 game, Grand Theft Auto 3, courtesy of a German-based Website, GTA Zone.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
What a console. It raised video games to reach its golden days back then when many generations met the old ones and younger ones.

Last edited:

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017

gta3_1.jpg

www.ign.com

While it's a much bigger phenomenon in Europe than in North America, the Grand Theft Auto series is nonetheless a big deal for gamers pretty much anywhere. Now, everyone can see the first screenshot of Rockstar's upcoming PC/PS2 game, Grand Theft Auto 3, courtesy of a German-based Website, GTA Zone.

I love that they called it a 'new-fangled racing game'

Oct 27, 2017

Playing it for the first time was mind melting. What an awesome game.

GTA2 was my first game but god damn if 3 didn't blow me away.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
I've asked this all around the internet for years, BUT DOES ANYONE BESIDES ME REMEMBER GUNSLINGER, THE CHOOSE WHETHER TO BE A BANDIT OR HERO WESTERN GAME THAT NEVER RELEASED?!

0JpKmhM.png

zXbQAFl.png

You could shoot and kill the mayor, for example, and up your negative reputation, or you could be a hero, and it was going to be published by then-Sony Computer Entertainment America. It sounds pretty basic for now, but it sounded so awesome at the time since few games allowed that kind of flexibility.

Unfortunately, we never saw much of it past 2000/2001.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

gta3_1.jpg

www.ign.com

Jeez what a terrible first screen not the graphics or anything like that.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Random and useless curiosity:
The Intellivision and Game & Watch launched 20 years before the PS2.
The PS2 is for us now what the Intellivision and Game&Watch were when the PS2 launched 😳

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I've asked this all around the internet for years, BUT DOES ANYONE BESIDES ME REMEMBER GUNSLINGER, THE CHOOSE WHETHER TO BE A BANDIT OR HERO WESTERN GAME THAT NEVER RELEASED?!

0JpKmhM.png

zXbQAFl.png

You could shoot and kill the mayor, for example, and up your negative reputation, or you could be a hero, and it was going to be published by then-Sony Computer Entertainment America. It sounds pretty basic for now, but it sounded so awesome at the time since few games allowed that kind of flexibility.

Unfortunately, we never saw much of it past 2000/2001.
This reminds me that GUN was such a good game.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
I had a ps1 till the XBOX came over, I sadly missed out on the ps2 but I have many memories of coming over to friends that had it and played alot of wrestling games lmao.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
GTA3 seemed to come from no where to me, I remember the official PS magazine in UK only giving the game an 8. Then once people got to play it, it exploded in popularity. It was a massive leap over GTA2 and Driver.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
Maybe the best console ever released. What a crazy huge game library, the only games I felt were missing on the system at the time were high quality RPGS like Fable or Morrowind - which I could only look at videos of on the internet and wish I could play them at the time. I didn't know you needed a memory card to save games, so I must have played the intro to GTA 3 10 times before I eventually ran to blockbuster in the pouring rain and got a card.

I think I went through 3 PS2s becasue of Disc Read Errors, one of which was on the day I got Spiderman 2 :(

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
The king of mid-budget games. Many of these don't hold up that great but the library was absolutely amazing at the time. Shame so much of it is inaccessible on modern consoles.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Got one pretty late in the game because I wanted to play Dragon Quest 8. Which was freaking awesome, was such a leap forward for Dragon Quest it was a wild amazing time playing through that game.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Absolutely amazing console! I didn't get mine until around Spring 2001 after my parents had a hell of a time trying to find one at launch for the holidays. My first one was was dead on arrival and was replaced the next day fortunately, but then it broke about a year later. My dad sent it to Sony for repairs and it's been working since (or at least the as of the last time I tried it). Just had to clean off the laser once in a while for it to read games over time.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
Strangely, this stuff got my brother and me very excited. I think it was just the concept of not having an overhead view and being right in the city this time.

I believe that screenshot is taken just outside the main police station on the first island. I had so many gun battles there, just fighting waves and waves of police until the army and fbi eventually showed up with tanks to squish me.

In GTA3 I spent more time doing that sort of thing than actually playing the missions. Though I remember being quite fond of the questgiver Toni, who I believe went on to become the main character in one of the (really good) PSP games.

I did prefer Vice City and San Andreas to GTA3 (I refuse to acknowledge that GTA 4 even exists) but GTA3 was the huge step forward, everything since then has just been building on what GTA3 started.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
SSX and Ridge Racer V were fine at launch. However, we had to wait another year before PS2 became truly amazing.

8h58i0acc6011.jpg

Fuck, I always hate this pic. =P

Not that there weren't a bunch of good games, but a lot of it was a stretch (GT3 was a summer game, GTA3/Baldur's Gate/Silent Hill 2 weren't exclusives, MGS2: Substance came to Xbox the following year).

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
I believe that screenshot is taken just outside the main police station on the first island. I had so many gun battles there, just fighting waves and waves of police until the army and fbi eventually showed up with tanks to squish me.

In GTA3 I spent more time doing that sort of thing than actually playing the missions. Though I remember being quite fond of the questgiver Toni, who I believe went on to become the main character in one of the (really good) PSP games.

I did prefer Vice City and San Andreas to GTA3 (I refuse to acknowledge that GTA 4 even exists) but GTA3 was the huge step forward, everything since then has just been building on what GTA3 started.

I used the tank cheat and fought police all the freaking time. Or sometimes I just listened to Chatterbox while speeding around.

I'd have to buy the PS2 trilogy on PS4 or something, but I think GTA3 may seem quaint given its small size compared to now and the inability to go into buildings, if I recall correctly. Eventually, you could go into restaurants, internet cafes, bars, etc. but I suspect it would be a learning curve to get back into that. And the lack of traffic in NYC of all places.

But for its time, there was something VERY special to me about going anywhere, doing minigames that, at the time, could have been their own games (like side missions in the cab or police car), and doing something serious in the story but listening to Chatterbox before starting a mission, taking the edge off.

Dunbar

Dec 9, 2017
Columbus, OH
Autumn 2001 was definitely one of the best times ever for gaming. Besides all those PS2 games listed above, you also had Halo multiplayer. I had 6 of those 10 PS2 games and got Silent Hill 2 early in 2002. I remember thinking no time could possibly be better than that.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Fuck, I always hate this pic. =P

Not that there weren't a bunch of good games, but a lot of it was a stretch (GT3 was a summer game, GTA3/Baldur's Gate/Silent Hill 2 weren't exclusives, MGS2: Substance came to Xbox the following year).

LOL - you are of course correct. Nonetheless, the pic is great shorthand for illustrating how fun the fall of 2001 was for PS2 owners. May the word "exclusive" and how launch windows misuse seasons forever be the silly marketing lies they have always been.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
LOL - you are of course correct. Nonetheless, the pic is great shorthand for illustrating how fun the fall of 2001 was for PS2 owners. May the word "exclusive" and how launch windows misuse seasons forever be the silly marketing lies they have always been.

Damn right. It's more the line at top, not the game themselves, that I've always had an issue with. But putting that aside and focusing on the games, even at the time I was amazed by the variety in 2001, especially once summer hit:

www.resetera.com

~2001 in gaming: what'd you think?~

Previous threads 1989|1991|1992|1993|1995|1996|1997|1999|2000|2002|2003|2004|2005|2006|2007|2009|2010|2013|2014|2015 Hey, all. In celebration of gaming in general, I'm continuing a retrospective series looking at gaming year by year. This is as comprehensive a list as possible of games with...

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

7sDMDec.png

0HYxLG6.png

mail

mail

m0xvyL7.png

ak7te72.png

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Greatest of all time system. It just had something for everyone and an insane number of all time classic games.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
Am I the only one who didn't think the launch lineup was that bad? I wouldn't hold stuff like Smuggler's Run up on a pedestal or anything, but I felt there were some good, albeit not really great, games on the lineup. Some clunkers for sure.

www.ign.com

The PS2 Launch Titles - IGN

Here's the final and definitive list of all the games that were…

Armored Core 2 (Agetec, Action)
DOA2: Hardcore (Tecmo, Fighting)
Dynasty Warriors 2 (Koei, Action)
ESPN International Track and Field (Konami, Sports)
ESPN X-Games Snowboarding (Konami, Sports)
Eternal Ring (Agetec, RPG)
Evergrace (Agetec, RPG)
FantaVision (SCEI, Puzzle)
Gun Griffon Blaze (Working Designs, Action)
Kessen (EA, Adventure)
Madden NFL 2001 (EA, Sports)
Midnight Club (Rockstar, Racing)
Moto GP (Namco, Racing)
NHL 2001 (EA, Sports)
Orphen (Activision, RPG)
Q-Ball Billiards Master (Take-Two Interactive, Simulation)
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2 (Midway, Sports)
Ridge Racer V (Namco, Racing)
Silent Scope (Konami, Shooter)
Smuggler's Run (Rockstar, Racing-Adventure)
SSX (EA, Sports)
Street Fighter EX3 (Capcom, Fighting)
Summoner (THQ, RPG)
Swing Away (Paradise Golf in Japan) (EA, Sports)
Tekken Tag Tournament (Namco, fighting)
TimeSplitters (Eidos, First-Person Shooter)
Unreal Tournament (Infogrames, First-Person Shooter)
Wild Wild Racing (Interplay, Racing)
X-Squad (EA, Action)

AV Club recently reviewed them. They weren't too impressed, lol. But I think Dynasty Warriors 2 is still fun, Madden 2001 was a blast, Tekken ag was fun, TimeSplitters were a sleeper hit for me (mostly due to that create-a-level mode), and even though I wasn't into those kinds of games, I know plenty of people who dug stuff like SSX and Midnight Club.

Here were the other launch lineups:

PS1:

Air Combat
Battle Arena Toshinden
ESPN Extreme Games
Kileak: The DNA Imperative
NBA JAM Tournament Edition
Power Serve 3D Tennis
The Raiden Project
Rayman
Ridge Racer
Street Fighter: The Movie
Total Eclipse Turbo
Zero Divide

PS3:

Blast Factor
Call of Duty 3
Genji: Days of the Blade
Madden NFL 07
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
NBA 07
NBA 2K7
Need for Speed Carbon
Resistance: Fall of Man
Ridge Racer 7
Tony Hawk's Project 8
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom

PS4:

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Blacklight Retribution
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Contrast
DC Universe Online
FIFA 14
Flower
Injustice: Gods Among Us -- Ultimate Edition
Just Dance 2014
Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Madden NFL 25
NBA 2k14
Need for Speed Rivals
Resogun
Sound Shapes
Super Motherload
Trine 2: Complete Story
Warframe

And now PS5:

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
Astro's Playroom
Demon's Souls
Destruction All Stars
Dirt 5
DmC 5: Special Edition
Godfall
Madden NFL 21
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Watch Dogs: Legion

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Best console ever.

And I didn't even want one originally; I wanted a Dreamcast. Don't get me wrong, DC is still amazing, but I'm glad I got a PS2 instead.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
GOAT design and incredible console and library
The greatest system of all time
Greatest of all time system. It just had something for everyone and an insane number of all time classic games.
The greatest console of all time. There will never be another.
QFT. Best console ever.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
Best console ever.

And I didn't even want one originally; I wanted a Dreamcast. Don't get me wrong, DC is still amazing, but I'm glad I got a PS2 instead.

Thing was hard to find for a while. I remember rushing my mom at a Toys R Us to look at the PS2 because I saw a kiosk, and I'm like, "Here it is! Come quick!" and when I got up close, I was really confused.

Turns out it was actually a Dreamcast kiosk.