Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1755622859282530779?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1755622859282530779%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY9lSAZQfbk&ab_channel=PlayStation

The resurrection of three major cities of the Edo Era in Team Ninja's open-world

The story takes place in Bakumatsu, Japan, a period of great change triggered by the arrival of the Black Ships. In this era of mayhem, the story first unfolds in Yokohama, then in Edo (today's Tokyo), and finally in Kyoto. These three major cities are each built as an open world where the non-homogeneous mixture of newly introduced Western culture and traditional Japanese beauty is dramatically depicted in detailed quality with new-generation graphics technology.

Yokohama

The first major city the anti-Shogunate protagonist visits is Yokohama. In the Kannai area of Yokohama, where the East meets the West, you'll explore Yokohama's landmarks, such as the U.S. Consulate, Chinatown, the Yokohama State Guest House, the lighthouse, and even brothels. As you travel the outskirts of Yokohama, you'll find yourself in a series of inn-towns along the Tokaido Road, the most important route of the era in Japan, linking Kyoto, the imperial capital, with Edo, the seat of the Tokugawa Shogunate.

Kannai – Yamashita

An area overlooking the ocean in southeast Kannai, while Yamate designates the bluff and upper town, Yamashita designates the lower town. In accordance with provisions set out in the US-Japan trade treaty, it is the site of the Foreign Settlement, where soldiers from various nations are stationed. Yamashita Park, one of the popular tourist spots today, was built with reclaimed rubble from the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923 and formally opened in 1930.

Photo of Yamashita today: Yamashita Park, now a tourist attraction, was created by reclaiming rubble from the Great Kanto Earthquake and opened in 1930.(*)

Kannai – Motomachi

An area in southeast Kannai that saw a significant population boom after the port of Yokohama opened to foreign trade. Visitors to the area's Chinatown would find various trinkets for sale and unique architecture characteristic of Chinese culture, such as the grand Kanteibyo Temple, a colorful temple dedicated to the ancient Chinese hero, Guan Yu. The current Kanteibyo Temple is the fourth rebuild of the temple, after being devastated and destroyed several times by unforeseen events, like the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923 and World War II, and remains to serve as the heart of Yokohama Chinatown.

Photo of Motomachi today: The Guan Ti Mausoleum, the symbol of Chinatown, was lost several times due to the Great Kanto Earthquake and World War II, and its modern form is the fourth generation.(*)

Edo

Edo is a megacity that serves as the base of the Edo Shogunate. The Kojimachi district is where the samurai residence surrounds and protects Edo Castle. You can also roam around the townsmen district of Asakusa to find Sensoji Temple and Azuma Bridge; the Nihonbashi district to check out its famous Nihonbashi Bridge and rows of merchant houses, and other cultural districts—like the Senzoku district—to feel the bustling energy of the Yoshihara brothels.

Asakusa

The heart of the city's unique shitamachi culture, home to landmarks such as Azuma Bridge and Sensoji Temple, has often been the subject of celebrated woodblock paintings. The area's bustling energy remains unchanged today, making it one of Japan's most popular tourist attractions.

Photo of Asakusa today: Asakusa remains as bustling as ever and has become one of the most popular tourist attractions in Japan.(*)

Nihonbashi

The bridge to which it owes its name was built in 1603, marking the starting point of five major roads. For this reason, it drew large crowds, contributing greatly to the popular culture of Edo. It has been the subject of countless artworks, perhaps most notably The Fifty-Three Stations of the Tokaido, a series of woodblock prints created by Utagawa Hiroshige. The bridge, Nihonbashi, can be found today, still serving as the starting point of Japan's road network.

Kyoto

blog.playstation.com

Inside look: Rise of the Ronin’s recreation of late 1800s Japan

Team Ninja’s historical focus faithfully brings Bakumatsu-era Japanese cities to life, during an era when culture and technology clashed.

Last edited:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

The resurrection of three major cities of the Edo Era in Team Ninja's open-world

The story takes place in Bakumatsu, Japan, a period of great change triggered by the arrival of the Black Ships. In this era of mayhem, the story first unfolds in Yokohama, then in Edo (today's Tokyo), and finally in Kyoto. These three major cities are each built as an open world where the non-homogeneous mixture of newly introduced Western culture and traditional Japanese beauty is dramatically depicted in detailed quality with new-generation graphics technology.

Yokohama

53515315191_f274383648_k.jpg

The first major city the anti-Shogunate protagonist visits is Yokohama. In the Kannai area of Yokohama, where the East meets the West, you'll explore Yokohama's landmarks, such as the U.S. Consulate, Chinatown, the Yokohama State Guest House, the lighthouse, and even brothels. As you travel the outskirts of Yokohama, you'll find yourself in a series of inn-towns along the Tokaido Road, the most important route of the era in Japan, linking Kyoto, the imperial capital, with Edo, the seat of the Tokugawa Shogunate.

53515748055_42e3d150a7_k.jpg

Edo

Edo is a megacity that serves as the base of the Edo Shogunate. The Kojimachi district is where the samurai residence surrounds and protects Edo Castle. You can also roam around the townsmen district of Asakusa to find Sensoji Temple and Azuma Bridge; the Nihonbashi district to check out its famous Nihonbashi Bridge and rows of merchant houses, and other cultural districts—like the Senzoku district—to feel the bustling energy of the Yoshihara brothels.

53514430317_25d5eb1bf7_k.jpg

Kyoto

For 1,000 years, Kyoto served as the political and cultural heart of Japan's capital. The Gosho District is located in the north of Kyoto, where a rebellion against the Tokugawa shogunate called the Kinmon Incident erupted. To the west is the Horikawa district, where orderly structured streets stretch alongside Nijo Castle, and the Mibu district, where the Roshigumi's headquarters, Mibudera Temple, is located. To the east is the Gion District, where teahouses and stores are housed, and the Higashiyama District, where Kiyomizu-dera Temple and other well-known sites take their presence. However, you'll also notice that some areas of the imperial city have lost their former glory to the turmoil arising from the Bakumatsu and have become neglected and abandoned.

53513683156_d4268fd7e3_h.jpg

Fast Travel between Hidden Sword Banners

Fast travel points, or Hidden Sword Banners, are scattered worldwide, allowing you to instantly travel from one Hidden Sword Banner to another unlocked banner. Not only will banners allow you to replenish consumable items by contact, but you can also update your party members and equipment during a mission. It also serves as a gateway for other players to jump in for online multiplayer.

Encounters and discoveries that await the Ronin on his journey

As you traverse the vast world, you will meet locals to take on different events and collect loot from challenging activities.

Somo Missions with locals

Somo describes those who are not samurai, including those who have abandoned their social status as samurai and become wealthy farmers, wealthy merchants, and local merchants. During Somo missions, you will be given special tasks by those locals if you have specific items in possession or foster a certain level of relationship with them.

Preordained Fate

During play, you'll encounter random in-game events called Preordained Fate. Depending on where or when it occurs in the game, you may not experience the same event twice.

Public safety

Defeating rogues improves the security of the bad areas. As you improve public safety, you will establish extended connections within the locale and its people.

As you go deeper into the story, you'll unlock various activities in different locations and have a chance to collect rewards according to how well you perform in these activities. In training, you can visit dojos in various regions and battle with characters that you've encountered previously. Other activities include Yabusame (horseback archery), Artillery Training, and Cat Collecting, in which you will have to find cats hiding in unexpected places.

blog.playstation.com

Team Ninja’s historical focus faithfully brings Bakumatsu-era Japanese cities to life, during an era when culture and technology clashed.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Can't access the link. Has there been any word of difficulty on this?

My buddy is interested but is worried it'll be a Sekiro situation where it's too hard for him to play.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

My buddy is interested but is worried it'll be a Sekiro situation where it's too hard for him to play.
Game Informer confirmed in a preview late last year that there are indeed difficulty options.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017

IIRC in Gameinformer interview before they mentioned the game gonna have difficulty modes

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, should mean he can play it. Thank y'all.
Someone can translate better the the machine but the game has 3 difficulty modes
Unlike their previous productions (Nioh, Ninja Gaiden, etc.), Rise of the Ronin wants to please fans of Elden Ring and Souls-like, but also reach out to more "casual" players. To do this, Team Ninja has integrated three distinct difficulty modes.

The Nioh and Ninja Gaiden sagas are renowned for their level of difficulty. Can we expect an extremely difficult video game? How to manage this increase in difficulty in an open world? Have you analyzed games like Elden Ring to achieve this?

Obviously Team Ninja titles aren't designed to be easy for everyone to play, but we wanted to make this title more accessible to a wide range of players. We have developed three distinct difficulty modes that players can choose based on their preferences. The first is aimed at narrative-focused players, who want to experience the story and play without too much difficulty. Then we have an intermediate mode for players used to this kind of experience. Finally, we have a harder mode that is more in line with our previous games and meets the needs of hardcore gamers and Souls-like fans. - Yosuke Hayashi (Producer - Team Ninja) and Fumihiko Yasuda (Development Producer and Game Director)
www.jeuxvideo.com

L'exclu PS5 Rise of the Ronin veut séduire les fans d'Elden Ring et des Souls, mais pas uniquement !

Rise of the Ronin est la prochaine exclusivité majeure du catalogue First Party de Sony. Après Wo Long : Fallen Dynasty, Team Ninja accoste de nouveau sur les rives du Japon féodal avec pour offrande destinée aux joueurs PlayStation 5 une aventure à même de séduire les fans d’Elden Ring et des...

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Whenever developer blogs boast about how faithful their historic city recreations are, all I can think about is when LA Noire invited an actual historian of Los Angeles city planning to play the game so they could write about how accurate it was on their blog.

Said historian quickly came to the conclusion of "not very accurate at all, really" and wrote a blog saying as such then got panicked emails from Rockstar/Take Two telling him to take down the post, despite him not being under embargo/contract.

"Faithful" is the weasel word chosen post-LA Noire because publishers learned never to say "accurate" or "true to life".

IceBear

Nov 20, 2017
Hopefully you can switch difficulty midgame and not like the old traditional Japanese games.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Cat finding is very important!
As you go deeper into the story, you'll unlock various activities in different locations and have a chance to collect rewards according to how well you perform in these activities. In training, you can visit dojos in various regions and battle with characters that you've encountered previously. Other activities include Yabusame (horseback archery), Artillery Training, and Cat Collecting, in which you will have to find cats hiding in unexpected places.
blog.playstation.com

Baku

Jan 24, 2018
Its cool to see landmarks im visiting right now in Like a dragon haha. And real landmark i visited in Kyoto, i think anyway.

Cant wait for reviews to see if its a must play at launch.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Team ninja need to revamp their engine outdated raster techniques seriously unless this game runs at locked 60fps at min 1440p with good IQ. Still looks like it might have better rock texture than FF7 rebirth though

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the game don't bomb. A lot of people say graphics are deal breaker for them (not only in Era).
I'm jumping into this after Dragon's Dogma 2.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Party members, huh? Interesting.

Hopefully the game don't bomb. A lot of people say graphics are deal breaker for them (not only in Era).
I'm jumping into this after Dragon's Dogma 2.

I'm just skipping Dogma 2 for now. The vocations they've revealed so far don't excite me so I'll grab Ronin instead and worry about DD2 once people have unlocked some of the secret vocations. If there even are any.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Damn this game was so close to a must buy for me until I saw it had monsters.

Graphically it looks fine though.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hmm i don't remember big magical rock person with fire eyes in my history classes

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Well it's not pretty and I have my doubts on Team Ninja delivering an interesting open world but their gameplay always shines and this looks fun so going it's good.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Nioh looked like Ass, Nioh 2 looked like ASS.

This looks slightly less like ass, but my god did I love the gameplay of Nioh.

Defo getting this. As long as there isn't 1,000,000 loot when you kill one enemy.

(they need a new engine)

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I want to be able to visit the original Nintendo building in Kyoto please.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nioh looked like Ass, Nioh 2 looked like ASS.

This looks slightly less like ass, but my god did I love the gameplay of Nioh.

Defo getting this. As long as there isn't 1,000,000 loot when you kill one enemy.

(they need a new engine)

I mean it's not just the engine's fault. They aren't a Sony first party studio. They can't spend $200 million on graphics. They're going to focus on the gameplay like they always do and get the graphics as good as they can without making the game a rampantly unprofitable money pit.

kxs

Jul 25, 2022
I understand its not always the same folks...but its a bit perplexing to read people complain about the graphics of a game like Rise of the Ronin and then other people talking about how AAA games are too expensive, take too long to develop and come out infrequently.

Rise of the Ronin is an AAA game that is less expensive than Sony prestige titles like Horzion, God of War and Spider-Man etc. This game will also sell a fraction of those other titles and that's fine.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The setting is the main reason I'm interested in this game. Will wait for reviews but interested!

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
My take about the graphics is that Sucker Punch truly is a top tier studio.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
I really am excited for this and Stellar Blade. I love my character action games and I love the Nioh series

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I have no doubt this game will shit on GoT in terms of gameplay

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Man I really like this look of this game, but I'm not interested in Nioh/Souls type combat. :/

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
I am getting this on release day and will be trying to divide gaming time between this and DD2. It comes out around a time that is usually very busy for me unfortunately.

I hope it does well, Team Ninja has a really unique brand of action gameplay that very few, if any, can recreate.