Joe Shiesty

Jan 30, 2023
latest

I love this game a ton.

This game was absolutely great. Had no idea what was going on as I hadn't played any of the prior Jak and Daxter games but still enjoyed it greatly. It also had that Pokémon like bug collecting mini game which was pretty great.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Playing Dawn of Sorrow right after Aria was nuts.

Despite the questionable character art, the backgrounds were some of the most beautiful traditional 2D art I had ever seen. Watching the snow falling off the cars when you jumped on them blew my younger mind.

Deleted member 106050

Nov 26, 2021
I'd put HGSS over the originals, to be honest. Maybe not over Crystal, but definitely over GS.

Daccus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aria of Sorrow, but I haven't played Dawn yet.

If Konami released a Castlevania DS Collection it would be such an incredible value.

Oct 27, 2017
Never been a big Zelda fan but A Link Between Worlds was sublime.

This thread is shocking to me, I didn't realize so many people call A Link Between Worlds the best 2D Zelda.

I mean...Link to the Past. Its freaking Link to the Past. NOTHING in Link Between Worlds measures up to the Agahnim fight, the Ganon fight, or just how amazing it is going to the Dark World the first time. Its not a bad game but the main villain is worse, its 3D gimmick was ripped out by everyone who played on a 2DS, and the dungeons don't hold up to A Link to the Past (I would argue no Zelda does short of OoT).

For the purpose of this thread the answer is Link's Awakening, which is also an acceptable answer for the best 2D Zelda (that answer is wrong its Link to the Past but hey its close enough).

But Link Between Worlds?! Can someone please break this down for me? Personally I would take Seasons and Ages over it what am I missing?
I don't know what to tell you. I've bounced off every single Zelda game but ALBW. I think it's because I genuinely loved playing onthe 3DS and the visuals was super polished. I didn't hit a wall like I did in Link's Awakening or ALTTP.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
Kid Icarus Uprising is still insanely impressive to me. That's probably at the top even though there are a lot of handheld titles that are all-time greats.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
TWEWY is my go to answer. It's my favorite game of all time and even though it has ports to other systems they are basically different games combat-wise.

JMTF

Aug 27, 2018
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Bring back the underwater sections you cowards 🗣️🗣️
3U is my favorite of the series, but it's the Wii game, really borked up under the hood and the with the PSP recolors\bootlegs, has an wiiu version too.

on topic, Wario Land 4 and Metroid Fusion are hard to beat. short and really replayable.

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
For non-Nintendo stuff, it's really just:
  • Lumines PSP
  • The PSP Monster Hunters (literally saved the system in Japan)
  • UMvC3 Vita (The fidelity of this on a portable was jaw-dropping)

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
For me it's a tie between Wario Land 2, Dissidia 012, and a Pokemon game released between gen 2 and gen V (I'll say Leaf Green).
To be fair though, even post Switch I'd say most of the suggestions being thrown around blow any Switch exclusive out of the water.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver is what stands above others for me.

TWEWY, 999, Phoenix Wright, Danganronpa 2, Link's Awakening, Link Between Worlds, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade and Animal Crossing: New Leaf are some of my other favourites.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Gut reaction is Super Mario 3D Land with Link Between Worlds as a close second.

Kid Night

Oct 27, 2017
I really , really love Clubhouse games. It was so perfect for waiting in lines when my SO and a lot of my friends had a DS. The games played great, everyone knew how to play them, so there wasn't an owners advantage when it came to download & play.

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
The World Ends With You.

Not only a brilliant game in its own right, but made incredible use of the DS for its gameplay. The ports were never able to capture how that game felt to play on the DS, it was truly made only for that platform

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Pokémon Gold/Silver was something else. I'm struggling to think of a sequel that added so many mechanics and so much content on top of that its predecessor offered.

All on an 8-bit handheld!

Sep 15, 2021
i just love that while most of the excitement around the PSP was "finally, almost PS2-level games on a handheld!" some other folk were like "finally, we can make a widescreen 2D puzzle game with high-res art and CD-quality music!"
Ridge Racer and Lumines at launch was truly the best of both worlds, damn I loved the PSP

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Gba has the best exclusive library in my opinion:

Castlevania CotM, HoD, AoS
Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission
Loz Minish Cap
Golden Sun 1 and 2
Advance Wars 1 and 2
Ff Tactics Advance
Megaman Zero 1 to 4
Mario Tennis Advance Tour