Screw it, say something nice about the new suits. Which is your favorite? Dark Ranger doesn't count.

• Cosmic Fury Red

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Cosmic Fury Blue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cosmic Fury Green

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cosmic Fury Black

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Cosmic Fury Gold

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Zenith Ranger

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • ???

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Last time on Power Rangers...
The ancient weapons of mass destruction known as the Sporix Beasts landed on Earth millions of years ago. Zayto, the leader of the Knights of Rafkon, was awakened from his slumber by two contemporary Earthlings to stop the newly freed Sporix that were wreaking havoc in 2021. The trio, eventually joined by the Garcia siblings and the last surviving Knight of Rafkon, protected the city of Pine Ridge as the Dino Fury Power Rangers. Aided by a bipedal cyborg dinosaur and their ever-loyal fleet of Zords, the Rangers waged a campaign against the Sporix and their self-appointed master, the enigmatic extraterrestrial Void Knight. In truth, Void Knight only wanted the Sporix to heal his comatose wife Santaura, which he eventually did at a terrible cost. The corrupting power of the Sporix and Santaura's own disdain for Earth's people for holding her hostage and destroying her family led her to absorb more Sporix energy and become Void Queen. She transformed the regretful Void Knight into Void King and set out to utilize every Sporix to create a nightmarish amalgamation known as the Nemesis Beast. With herself controlling the creature, she would wipe out Earth's people and the remaining Rafkonians who had arrived to make it their home. Red Dino Fury Ranger Zayto, himself partially responsible for allowing the Sporix to be released millions of years ago, took up the power of the Dino Master Saber (a weapon gifted to him by the Morphin Masters) and sacrificed himself and the Rangers' Zords to destroy the Nemesis Beast. Santaura was purged of the Sporix's influence and the Earth was at peace once more, the Morphin Masters acknowledging Zayto's sacrifice and containing the Sporix Beasts for safekeeping while the Earthlings and Rafkonians vowed to coexist.

Oh, and between all of that, the Rangers fought a resurgent Lord Zedd recreated from his pre-marriage days of evil and had a Morphin Master encase him in crystal. And then he broke out, which means the battle continues to the final frontier for the Power Rangers, Zayto very much included.
zg3lfbmg.gif
They're morphin' in outer space, and they're out to save the human race. They are:
3k2cz8d9.jpg

Release date: September 29th, 2023
Platform: Netflix
Production house(s): Hasbro and Entertainment One
Executive produced by: Simon Bennett, Olivier Dumont, Kari Rosenberg, Haim Saban, and Randi Yaffa
Episode count: 10

powerrangers-cosmicfuy7fsq.gif
30th-logo9be4o.png

Welcome, Ranger Nation, to the OT for the 30th season of the Power Rangers franchise. Premiering exclusively on Netflix worldwide on September 29th, 2023, we have Power Rangers Cosmic Fury, the third season to feature the Dino Fury cast. Adapting some monster suits and mecha footage from Uchū Sentai Kyuranger, this season of PR will feature a newly crafted group of Ranger suits with modified helmets from the Dino Fury Rangers.
dc8odbut.jpg

Mighty Reprisin Power Rangers
At just ten episodes, there's little time to introduce a slew of new plot elements, which makes the group of returning characters an easier way to streamline the usual introductions seen in most seasons. Pardon the haphazardness, I could not source any good individual shots for four characters and had to settle for images from the prior two seasons.
imageurlhttps3a2f2fstbfdvl.jpg
imageurlhttps3a2f2fst6od9w.jpg

Amelia Jones, the Red Cosmic Fury Ranger (formerly Pink Dino Fury Ranger II)

Portrayed by: Hunter Deno

The intrepid reporter of BuzzBlast learned some utterly shocking personal revelations last season, and now she's stepping into the role of the TV franchise's first full-time female Red Ranger as she guides her friends into space.

Ollie Akana, the Blue Cosmic Fury Ranger (formerly Blue Dino Fury Ranger II)

Portrayed by: Kai Moya

Usually skeptical of the supernatural, Ollie's had to open his mind a little. Of course, having Lord Zedd controlling his mind for one episode last season is another way to gain new perspective.

Izzy Garcia, the Green Cosmic Fury Ranger (formerly Green Dino Fury Ranger II)

Portrayed by: Tessa Rao

The ever-outspoken and shamelessly Gen Z Green Ranger of this team is back to deliver savage barbs and fawn over her adoring girlfriend, who may or may not have gotten herself wrapped up in this whole intergalactic war.

Javi Garcia, the Black Cosmic Fury Ranger (formerly Black Dino Fury Ranger II)

Portrayed by: Chance Perez

Izzy's older stepbrother, Javi (pronounced "Ha-vee") is an aspiring musician and coworker of Amelia. He seems to be getting a new arm this season, so I'm curious about how that happened. In the meantime, gaze upon his glorious weapon that should totally be a guitar.

Aiyon, the Gold Cosmic Fury Ranger (formerly the Gold Dino Fury Ranger)

Portrayed by: Jordon Fite

Aiyon will likely try (again) to make good on his promise to take out Lord Zedd. In a franchise first for Power Rangers but technically not Super Sentai, a Gold Ranger is formally part of the core team in the story and marketing. Given that Aiyon is a millions-of-years-old Rafkonian who was a founding member of the original Dino Fury team, I suppose it makes sense.

Zayto, the Zenith Ranger (formerly the Red Dino Fury Ranger and the Ghost Ranger)

Portrayed by: Russell Curry

Zayto seemingly became one with the Morphin Grid at the end of Dino Fury before arriving as the Ghost Ranger to warn his team of Lord Zedd's escape. He seems to be working closely with the Morphin Masters and even picked up their penchant for capes. As for his color as the Zenith Ranger, Russell Curry describes it as "champagne." It's beige, which is a color new to Power Rangers and Super Sentai.

Fern

Portrayed by: Jacqueline Joe

A track runner and Izzy's rival-turned-girlfriend, Fern appeared intermittently in the prior two seasons and seems to be primed for a much larger role in this season judging by the fact that she's actually in the opening credits now. Pictures, footage, and text rumors already have spoiled a lot about her role, but I'm going to keep my mouth shut within the confines of this post.

Billy Cranston, the Blue Mighty Morphin Ranger
945cptbh.jpg

Portrayed by: David Yost

And we end this continuity with an OG. Billy, the original Blue Ranger and technical advisor to the Zeo Rangers, has returned once more to aid the current team against their shared nemesis. Based on sneak peeks, he'll be fighting right alongside them from episode 1.

Solon
f7ybxq26.png

Portrayed by: Dahnu Graham
Voiced by: Josephine Davison

The Rangers' companion who runs technical operations at their base, Dinohenge. She's presumably as old as Zayto and Aiyon, if not older, and has dispensed sage wisdom in classic PR mentor fashion.

Lord Zedd
kxa9fvr7.png

Portrayed by: Unknown
Voiced by: Fred Tatasciore

Escaping from his confinement in the Morphin Masters' domain, Lord Zedd is back to wreak gravelly vengeance upon the entire universe with his new allies. His base of operations this season is apparently Eltar, the home planet of his age-old nemesis Zordon.

What makes this season different?
A lot. First female Red Ranger from the start and not as a short-term member, no Pink or Yellow Ranger in the line-up (as far as I know), mostly original suits, all-original ground battle footage, and because of the concentrated episode count, the first anniversary season where returning characters (beyond the Dino Fury cast) are present on a recurring basis, plus there's hardly any "filler" in the traditional Power Rangers sense. The production crew stressed that they crafted a single continuous story to serve as a cap to the Dino Fury Rangers' adventures.

This is it, folks. After 30 seasons and one unfinished reversion of MMPR season 1, the mostly linear continuity that we've watched for three decades is coming to an end for now. Last season in "the old ways" and the last season to be filmed in New Zealand. The most recent executive producer of the franchise made it vehemently clear weeks ago.

View: https://twitter.com/CosmicRanger006/status/1695954598270554392
Pooki confirms Cosmic Fury is the end of Power Rangers before the Reboot and no solo morphs
oqs73usp.jpg
simdg4k8.jpg

It's bittersweet making this thread on the 30th anniversary and effectively saying goodbye, but we've had a long run. For comparison's sake:
-Power Rangers lasted longer than the DC Animated Universe and Arrowverse combined.
-Its run nearly eclipses the combined runs of the three major U.S. Saturday morning blocks -- Fox Kids, Kids WB, One Saturday Morning -- it was contemporaneous with. Thirty years versus 32 years when counted sequentially.
-Four Ninja Turtles shows started and five ended while Power Rangers was airing.
-It has more episodes than Scooby-Doo!, Star Trek, Doctor Who (original and modern runs combined), and The Simpsons.

It's cheap to make, but impressive nonetheless.

Meanwhile, a subsection of PR Twitter is doing me a specific solid on how to enjoy the show:

View: https://twitter.com/RangerCommandPH/status/1707052994968088827

Mentioned in our review. If you are binging the series after episodes 1-3, skip the rest of the intros and watch them after your first watch through.
Btw PLEASE skip the Opening to Episode 4!! It spoils something really cool that happens in the episode.

And I need to see reactions to one specific moment of Episode 10! After I watched it I needed to take like 5 minutes to calm down as it completely caught me off guard

Some trailers for posterity:
-Announcement of Cosmic Fury from Simon Bennett (Aug. 2022)
-Hasbro PulseCon 2022 panel with Simon Bennett and the Dino Fury cast to tease Cosmic Fury (Sept. 2022)
-The (first) opening (Aug.2023)
-Netflix trailer (Sept. 2023)
-Sneak peek of episode 1 (Sept. 2023)

As of this post, we are less than two hours from the premiere on Netflix. May the power protect you all. Credit goes to Prophet Five for the OT title.

Last edited:

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic OT, fam. Zordon would be proud. Can't wait to see what yall think of this season. It's really good!

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Thank you, friend. Now I must go to bed because I have work in the morning. Wish me luck in avoiding spoilers.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you, friend. Now I must go to bed because I have work in the morning. Wish me luck in avoiding spoilers.
G'night and have a good day at work! I'd honestly avoid social media until you're ready to watch. I've seen so many people who got screeners just spoiling stuff.

Edit:
Holy shit the Cosmic Fury theme is now up on streaming platforms!

Last edited:

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
I just realised Dino Fury might actually be the first 2 PR seasons that I watched from beginning to end despite being a huge fan as a kid during the Zordon era. Ive seen a couple of Sentai seasons in full but I've always missed batches of Power Rangers episodes back in the day watching on live broadcast. I jumped on to Dino Fury when Amelia was announced to be the first full time female Red for Cosmic Fury. Really loved it so Ill be catching this.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
We're starting off strong

Ollie turning evil/evil Ranger in the first episode
Javi losing his arm

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I wouldn't worry too much about the opening bit. The thing they are presumably referring to is on the poster.

Oct 25, 2017
Watching Episode 4

Surprised it took 3 episodes to get to the new suits.
Also, that's Naria from Zyuohger! Seems they're mixing in various Sentai monsters.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
lol holy hell I didn't expect my OT title to win. I feel... morphenomenal! ⚡⚡⚡

I had some lab work done over the weekend, then caught a damn cold at the beginning of the week. THEN the test results got my anxiety in full swing last night so when 4am rolled around, and I hadn't fallen asleep I pulled out my iPad and renewed Netflix. I've only seen the first episode, but like holy hell I'm impressed by it. Minor spoilers: even if it was obvious I -loved- Billy piloting the Cosmic Wolf. And Zordnia + the Shogunzord + Pan-Global games references!

If the whole season maintains this quality I'm going to be Dino Super Sad about only having 10 episodes. (well, even more than I already am, lol).

also this:

View: https://x.com/OGMachinations/status/1707721916495060993?s=20

I don't hate it (still adjusting to the new "mold" of his costume though) but it's one of those things where like my brain immediately expects to hear 1994 Zedd and is confused when it doesn't. Obviously, I know why, but I can't help it (plus it's sad.)

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Watched 4 episodes so far. Really enjoying what I'm seeing so far.
Just gonna grab something to eat and then it's back to binge.

Oct 25, 2017
Fred Tatasciore is a top tier VA, but yeah his Zedd is just... off. Axelrod's voice was just too iconic.
Thousands of VAs out there, surely someone can match him.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn, they're actually nixing the continuity after this season huh? Going full reboot? Sorry for the questions, I haven't been following much of PR stuff.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Havent watched a season properly in years. Like what Im seeing so far but you can tell theyre speedrunning this since its only 10 episodes

Oct 25, 2017
Finished.
Wow, what an ending. Definitely felt like closing the book on this era. Not only getting Zedd and Rita back together (in a weird nightmare way), but the spirit of Zordon showing up one last time.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Oh damn, they're actually nixing the continuity after this season huh? Going full reboot? Sorry for the questions, I haven't been following much of PR stuff.
It's the last season made under the established Power Rangers production crew. The next one presumably will be a reboot, but at this point it's not clear there is even anything solid in production.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have only seen a few episodes of the last two seasons, but I'll give this a watch over the weekend.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's the last season made under the established Power Rangers production crew. The next one presumably will be a reboot, but at this point it's not clear there is even anything solid in production.

Interesting, thanks! Hell of an achievement for this current run though to be sure.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Semi-related, but there's another toy collector at my job and, even though our respective brands don't align, we always compare notes. So today as I left for work I packed up some zords that I haven't opened yet (and the new Master Morpher lol) and brought them up here to see. A good time was had, and now my office is covered in Power Rangers/Super Sentai mecha. I work in a relatively professional setting, so I should probably get this cleaned up, LMAO.

My Omega Rangers should be delivered by the time I'm home, so I'll have a brand new set of figures to .... toy with as I watch more Cosmic Fury tonight!

hsojlightfoot

AVALANCHE
Apr 6, 2020
I should just watch Dino Fury and then this? I'm just now starting RPM. Never seen anything past this.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really watched since RPM. I really should give this a shot. How far back should I watch so that I'm not lost? Can I get away with just the last season?

Jun 1, 2021
I don't really fancy catching up with the least few seasons, but I wouldn't watching this if its the end of an era. It flow well enough for someone out of the loop?

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
I ended up binging it all last night. I really enjoyed it, loved the callbacks even if many of them were limited to dialogue/mentions due to budget. The season's plot goes at a quick pace compared to other seasons due to the limited number of episodes.

Was great to see Billy stick around all season and be an active member of the team. Was hoping we would see Minh unmorphed at some point though.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
As someone who hasn't really watched in decades besides the last anniversary special and only recognizes Billy and Lord Zedd, the opening to episode 1 is a lot and fucking wild. It's good though, definitely a step well above Once & Always. I just turned it on not realizing it was even a sequel styled series so yeah lol.

"A megazord made of Christmas balls, very scary guys" legitimately got a laugh out of me because I was like what in the world is this megazord.

Sep 14, 2019
The megazord felt kind of like an afterthought. Like, they had to find someone where in the episode to fit it in there. Maybe because the season was just 10 episodes, so everything just felt rushed, including the zord battles.

Overall the season was good.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I only have two episodes left but I've been awake since 7am Thursday and I legit feel like I may die if I don't manage to get some sleep so they'll have to wait until tomorrow.

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
It's generally expected that whatever live-action project Hasbro will do after will be in its own continuity. Hasbro apparently also wants an animated series down the line, so that could be where the old characters migrate to if we're lucky.

Alright, I watched all ten episodes over the weekend. It is almost a running gag that Power Rangers decides to bring its A-game when it's on its way out the door. Dino Fury already showed a great deal of ambition in its two seasons, but Cosmic Fury opening with a large field battle with a super-dynamic camera is generally unheard of for Power Rangers. To some degree, the first episode was my favorite because of how much chaos happened at once.

I will need to rewatch this series (and I will), but I enjoyed it overall. It definitely is trying to fit parts of the mold of "Countdown to Destruction" in terms of scale. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What Power Rangers in Space's finale had for an advantage was actual scenes of other Rangers fighting the United Alliance of Evil's armies across the universe. They were all background fodder, but it did at least sell the idea that this was an intergalactic war between the forces of good and evil. Cosmic Fury was probably made on an even less-than-shoestring budget relative to the standards of its franchise (and with ten episodes instead of 43), so we just get a lot of implied "other Rangers across the universe are dealing with Zedd's army." I understand, this is not the show for other teams of Rangers, the incumbent group deserves to shine. Some stray news footage of suit actors fighting in the magical New Zealand quarry would've been nice, though. Now, what Cosmic Fury has over "Countdown to Destruction" is proper integration of select past Rangers in the main narrative. Billy's there to serve as a mentor and he helps make the new powers. Mick is there and gives Kelson Henderson one more chance to suit up. And the production crew took the opportunity provided by this miracle season to double back for one unused Kyoryuger suit. Talon Ranger is a better name than Dark Ranger, though.

And while the show could not have a bunch of Rangers show up on the ground to answer Solon's distress call on Eltar, having five Megazords show up in space to deal with Zedd's fleet is badass, even with dodgy CGI. Not only does it represent Mighty Morphin and the two most recent pre-Dino Fury series, but the other two space-themed seasons get a Megazord each. I never thought I'd see the Galaxy Megazord again. Nice to see who I presume was Minh again as well.

This show clearly wanted to do more. I imagine a larger episode count/budget would've seen the Rangers heading to more familiar PR locales (that green planet Zayto got warped to in episode 1, I honestly thought it was Mirinoi, but it wasn't). What little they could do to flesh out the universe, I am grateful for. Billy name-dropping New Tech City as a way to get this universe on track to resembling the Earth we see in S.P.D. is great. Bajillia's plan to effectively create a reverse Z-Wave legitimately took me by surprise.

Character work is pretty solid, Amelia slides into the leader role decently. It's natural, but not on a dime. Also, she needs a hug after all the nonsense that's happened to her. Aiyon also needs a hug. There's one moment with him and Amelia where he seems to legitimately be traumatized by losing Zayto multiple times. I imagine the deaths of his fellow Knights of Rafkon and his family (and the loss of Rafkon itself) have worn him down. As for Ollie...Kai Moya is having way too much fun playing an evil asshole. I love the new villains (poor one out for Inkworth) and the fact that they run a company that literally profits off of evil. I actually like Fred Tatasciore's take on Zedd. And Zedd himself looks and acts a bit more like I remember him. He's still scary but does have a sense of humor.

Much like "Countdown to Destruction," Cosmic Fury's finale ("The End") is bittersweet. Good triumphs of course, but there is an air of saying goodbye. Unlike Zordon's sacrifice in 1998, Zayto's umpteenth departure does get properly recognized by the cast. Speaking of Zordon, he might in fact still be out there. Billy still seems adamant about trying to revive him, to the point of not even joining the other Rangers and their families for the on-stage celebration at the end. Dino Fury's season two finale was in some respects a better showcase of what the Rangers were doing after defeating the Sporix (and I prefer the final battle from an action standpoint), but Cosmic Fury is an impromptu third season, so I acknowledge we don't have to do the "Where are they now?" epilogue twice. A decent end to this cast's run and the Power Rangers universe as we know it. Life will go on, friends will stay friends, and more adventures will be had.

My congratulations to the cast and crew. Y'all landed this ship safely. Thank you.

Last edited:

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
It's generally expected that whatever live-action project Hasbro will do after will be in its own continuity. Hasbro apparently also wants an animated series down the line, so that could be where the old characters migrate to if we're lucky.

Alright, I watched all ten episodes over the weekend. It is almost a running gag that Power Rangers decides to bring its A-game when it's on its way out the door. Dino Fury already showed a great deal of ambition in its two seasons, but Cosmic Fury opening with a large field battle with a super-dynamic camera is generally unheard of for Power Rangers. To some degree, the first episode was my favorite because of how much chaos happened at once.

I will need to watch this series (and I will), but I enjoyed it overall. It definitely is trying to fit parts of the mold of "Countdown to Destruction" in terms of scale. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What Power Rangers in Space's finale had for an advantage was actual scenes of other Rangers fighting the United Alliance of Evil's armies across the universe. They were all background fodder, but it did at least sell the idea that this was an intergalactic war between the forces of good and evil. Cosmic Fury was probably made on even less of a shoestring budget relative to the standards of its franchise (and with ten episodes instead of 43), so we just get a lot of implied "other Rangers across the universe are dealing with Zedd's army." I understand, this is not the show for other teams of Rangers, the incumbent group deserves to shine. Some stray news footage of suit actors fighting in the magical New Zealand quarry would've been nice, though. Now, what Cosmic Fury has over "Countdown to Destruction" is proper integration of select past Rangers in the main narrative. Billy's there to serve as a mentor and he helps make the new powers. Mick is there and gives Kelson Henderson one more chance to suit up. And the production crew took the opportunity provided by this miracle season to double back for one unused Kyoryuger suit. Talon Ranger is a better name than Dark Ranger, though.

And while the show could not have a bunch of Rangers show up on the ground to answer Solon's distress call on Eltar, having five Megazords show up in space to deal with Zedd's fleet is badass, even with dodgy CGI. Not only does it represent Mighty Morphin and the two most recent pre-Dino Fury series, but two Megazords from the other two space-themed seasons. I never thought I'd see the Galaxy Megazord again. Nice to see who I presume was Minh again as well.

This show clearly wanted to do more. I imagine a larger episode count/budget would've seen the Rangers heading to more familiar PR locales (that green planet Zayto got warped to in episode 1, I honestly thought it was Mirinoi, but it wasn't. What little they could do to flesh out the universe, I am grateful for. Billy name-dropping New Tech City as a way to get this universe on track to resembling the Earth we see in S.P.D. is great. Bajillia's plan to effectively create a reverse Z-Wave legitimately took me by surprise.

Character work is pretty solid, Amelia slides into the leader role decently. It's natural, but not on a dime. Also, she needs a hug after all the nonsense that's happened to her. Aiyon also needs a hug. There's one moment with him and Amelia where he seems to legitimately be traumatized by losing Zayto multiple times. I imagine the deaths of his fellow Knights of Rafkon and his family (and the loss of Rafkon itself) have worn him down. As for Ollie...Kai Moya is having way too much fun playing an evil asshole. I love the new villains (poor one out for Inkworth) and the fact that they run a company that literally profits off of evil. I actually like Fred Tatasciore's take on Zedd. And Zedd himself looks and acts a bit more like I remember him. He's still scary but does have a sense of humor.

Much like "Countdown to Destruction," Cosmic Fury's finale ("The End") is a bittersweet finale. Good triumphs of course, but there is an air of saying goodbye. Unlike Zordon's sacrifice in 1998, Zayto's umpteenth departure does get properly recognized by the cast. Speaking of Zordon, he might in fact still be out there. Billy still seems adamant about trying to revive him, to the point of not even joining the other Rangers and their families for the on-stage celebration at the end. Dino Fury's season two finale was in some respects a better showcase of what the Rangers were doing after defeating the Sporix (and I prefer the final battle from an action standpoint), but Cosmic Fury is an impromptu third season, so I acknowledge we don't have to the "Where are they now?" epilogue twice. A decent end to this cast's run and the Power Rangers universe as we know it. Life will go on, friends will stay friends, and more adventures will be had.

My congratulations to the cast and crew. Y'all landed this ship safely. Thank you.

I still have my two episodes to watch, but I agree with a lot that is said here. Especially the budget - it feels like Hasbro gave them like $100 to do stuff and told them to fuck off afterward. That said, I think they do a lot with what they have and, surprisingly, I really enjoyed a lot of the scenes in locations we don't normally get in Power Rangers. I also think the fight choreography and most of the cinematography is fantastic, considering this is a "kids show" or whatever. I wish some of the fights could have been bigger and had even just "suit actors" like Once and Always or Grid Connection, but I totally get it. And I've heard I'll feel the same way about the episodes I have left.

I'm sure a lot of us here have seen the drama on Twitter re: Simon not liking PR + thinking it needs to move far away from Super Sentai/Toku (I have my own opinions about that stuff that's not for this topic) but despite that this season especially really does feel like a labor of love if not for the franchise then for the cast and the fans. The production team really have been trying to give us as much as they possibly can, and I am thankful for it.

Finally, part of the reason I haven't finished it is because, for the foreseeable future, this is it. And usually I can accept endings and process the emotions related to them, but like this has been 30 years of my life. I've watched since the premiere of MMPR, I saw Zordon die the day it aired, and this show has been a part of my life, shaped me in a lot of ways, and introduced me to friends I never would have met otherwise since I was 8 years old. When my favorite TV show ever, Alias, ended after just 5 years, I was a wreck because Sydney Bristow saw me through some tough years and was a source of strength and inspiration to get through some traumatic shit. I don't really know how I'm going to react to having something that's been airing six times as long as that just be over. I'll get over/through it, but it's basically been something I've had my entire life, and it hurts in a lot of ways to know its just going to be gone.

Yes, I'm well aware it's just a TV show/expanded universe, and I'm overly attached to fictional characters and worlds. But PR has been a staple in my escapism from a rough childhood and well into adulthood, so it's just going to be strange to not have it continue with me (for now, I suppose, but I also have doubts and opinions about its future reboot/whatever better saved for another time).

Thanks for coming to my ZEDD talk.

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Thank you for sharing. I can safely say there is an unusual feeling that this may be the end for a good while. Even the gap between R.P.M.'s finale and the announcement of Saban swooping in to pluck the IP from Disney was less than six months. I don't think we're getting that lucky this time.

Jun 1, 2021
With the new continuity potentially coming in the next few years, have they said what age demographic there going to aim for? I think I read somewhere they want to do a more young adult series, but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I presume Enwhistle's project would be a "general audience" thing while a kid-oriented companion series would happen with a different crew down the line.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't watched PR in many, many years, but my son watched the previous seasons over the summer so I just watched the first two eps with him. This is a blast! Brings back so many memories seeing Lord Zedd!

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
Okay so I've been nostalgic about Power Rangers recently - probably because of the anniversary special. So I've watched Dino Fury seasons 1 and 2 and now this, and I'm surprised how much I feel a weird melancholy for THIS CAST leaving as opposed to just my own nostalgic childhood feelings.

It's a dumb kid's show but it's a GOOD dumb kid's show and the LGBT stuff is done well. Even in the finale we had the thinly veiled trans stuff (nobody should feel like they're in the wrong body).

Which seasons should I watch to catch up?

Really only Dino Fury since it has the same cast.
But there are characters introduced in Dino Charge, Ninja Steel, and Beast Morphers. It's up to you if you want to go through those too.

I haven't really watched since RPM. I really should give this a shot. How far back should I watch so that I'm not lost? Can I get away with just the last season?

I'm someone who only really watched MMPR and maybe a tiny bit of Zeo and I just watched Dino Fury and YouTube'd or Wiki'd anything I didn't know. The references just enhance, they're not super important. And they even show clips of old shows sometimes to give context.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed this, it was a nice blast of nostalgia and really cool seeing

Master Zed. I wish he had more screen time fighting tho.

I also wish this was more of a celebration of the show, seeing as how it the last before the reboot.

Also,
i guess they did leave it open with Billy finding out Zordon is "out there"

Also also
I'm soooo disappointed they didn't play the MMPR theme at the end. Would have been the perfect closing IMHO

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Okay so I've been nostalgic about Power Rangers recently - probably because of the anniversary special. So I've watched Dino Fury seasons 1 and 2 and now this, and I'm surprised how much I feel a weird melancholy for THIS CAST leaving as opposed to just my own nostalgic childhood feelings.

It's a dumb kid's show but it's a GOOD dumb kid's show and the LGBT stuff is done well. Even in the finale we had the thinly veiled trans stuff (nobody should feel like they're in the wrong body).
For me, the feeling of melancholy happens with every departing Power Rangers cast, but I will definitely miss these Rangers in particular. Having 54 episodes between Dino Fury and Cosmic Fury gives this group more exposure than any team post-1998, which is kind of nuts to think about. I would've gladly watched them for another 20 episodes.

And the line from Zayto to Mucus after restoring her Sporix Beast form was indeed sweet.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised at how popular Cosmic Fury has gotten. People that haven't watched in years coming back to it. I guess being "the end" is going to get people to notice.
It also brought out the chuds complaining that the series is "woke" now, even though Power Rangers has been "woke" since day fucking one!

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I'm surprised at how popular Cosmic Fury has gotten. People that haven't watched in years coming back to it. I guess being "the end" is going to get people to notice.
It also brought out the chuds complaining that the series is "woke" now, even though Power Rangers has been "woke" since day fucking one!

Anyone who hasn't noticed that PR has been "woke" since August 28th, 1993 hasn't been paying attention. I can't stand that shit.

And I love that the show is, rightfully, getting a ton of attention. Sadly, Hasbro won't notice or will learn the wrong lessons from it. So disappointing.

OP
OP
Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I had honestly thought Power Rangers' deliberate attempts to be diverse and politically correct as far back as 1993 (even accounting for Haim Saban and his associates' myriad of moral failings) would've insulated the franchise from any bad-faith commentators. To some degree, I'm sure it has, but I also had the pleasure of dealing with someone complaining about Izzy and Fern earlier this year. There are advantages to the brand being niche, one of which is certain folks not making it their main mission to launder their grievance politics through said brand to hit the wider culture.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
What was the cool thing that supposedly happens in episode 4? I was already on episode 5 when I read that tweet, but I don't remember anything too interesting happening in that episode, not even after I went back and skimmed through it. IIRC, it was episode 5 where there's an unexpected surprise.

Speaking of surprises, I definitely wasn't expecting Javi to lose an arm in the first episode! I also don't remember reading about Billy, but if I did, I must have gotten it mixed up with the Once a Ranger news at the time.

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
What was the cool thing that supposedly happens in episode 4? I was already on episode 5 when I read that tweet, but I don't remember anything too interesting happening in that episode, not even after I went back and skimmed through it. IIRC, it was episode 5 where there's an unexpected surprise.

Speaking of surprises, I definitely wasn't expecting Javi to lose an arm in the first episode! I also don't remember reading about Billy, but if I did, I must have gotten it mixed up with the Once a Ranger news at the time.

Ollie's evil ranger suit, maybe?
Treees foreshadowing Zayto's mortal death
Zenith ranger suit

But yeah nothing really stood out to me this episode apart from how the Zord fight looks completely out of place for that planet, although no as much as Eltar later in the series.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
They did not even try framing the zord fights in the correct locations. Japanese cityscapes appeared no matter their actual location.

I gotta give it to them for keeping the stakes high in each episode though; especially in a joint effort with a comics. They are really trying to bring the stories to a new level of seriousness. Is it necessary though? I don't think so. More power to the creatives though.

I'm kind of curious to see what they have in mind for the reboot but they just aren't serious about production as Japan is about sentai. The money and care isn't there.