Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
The sweet satisfaction that comes only from pressing the button to eject a floppy disk.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
oaktown.png
Yeah no one learns pascal anymore

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Old games with no tutorials, and if you don't have the instruction manual, you're not going to have a clue as to how to play it properly.

Also, configuring your sound card.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Old games with no tutorials, and if you don't have the instruction manual, you're not going to have a clue as to how to play it properly.

Also, configuring your sound card.

A lot of games I played if you didn't have the manual you couldn't play the game anyway because you'd have to input a random word or letter from a specific page and paragraph to get past the rudimentary DRM

julian

Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

How was I supposed to know you called? The tape was full!!

photo118.jpg

Before everything was 7-11.

You'll give me how little for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?! On that note, surprised to see Beckett's still seem to be a thing.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Getting up and turning a knob to change the TV channel.

Checking to see if your console's connected to channel 3 or channel 4.

Make sure to rewind the movie when you're done watching it.

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL
CB radios. We used to use them on road trips. Now they have these fancy cell phone things.

along the same line, call boxes on the side of the freeway, and payphones in general. Those call boxes used to line the freeways in California.

Found out after Hurricane Sally the only radio in the house sucks (20 year old boombox battery eater) so I got a nice little shortwave radio to replace it. There's still folks broadcasting on shortwave. In the age of the internet I was surprised it wasn't completely dead. Though it is overrun with serious crazies (not the regular right wing talk radio crazy but end of the world crazy).

Can pick up Radio Havana, Nashville, Maine and very rarely a Japanese station (that seems to be broadcasting from France) at night from N/W Florida with just the basic whip antenna. Gonna get a cheap roll up wire antenna to string up just to see what I can pickup for fun.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mail ordering computer games from the back of magazines and posting a cheque and hoping the games turned up...

And Boots the pharmacists having a really good games selection.

ps3ud0 8)

flyingorion

Dec 4, 2017
Damn, that Funcoland list got me good!

Anyways, the general excitement I got going to a retail store like Walmart, Kmart, Target, Toys R Us or the mall to look through all the new gaming magazines and try out the demo kiosks. There was EGM, Nintendo Power, Gamepro, PSM, etc... It's how I got most video games news in the 90s and how to try the newest games.

Now in 2020 I hate having to set foot in retail especially working in retail for years.

Reddit - nostalgia - Playing game demos in Walmart while your mom shopped https://www.reddit.com/r/nostalgia/comments/g0q6of/playing_game_demos_in_walmart_while_your_mom/

Last edited:

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
My family used to have a milkman make regular deliveries, he would leave it in an insulated box on our front porch.

8r98Dlt.jpg

zrIpfdI.jpg

julian

Oct 27, 2017
P1050498.JPG

Thank you Publisher's Clearing House for delivering Playboy to my house as a kid at such a reasonable price!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I was going to post my image, but I got a phone call and lost my connection to the internet

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Pizza Hut(or some fast food place) have a promotion once with a game or demo on a cool looking floppy disc?
that

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

How was I supposed to know you called? The tape was full!!

photo118.jpg

Before everything was 7-11.

You'll give me how little for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?! On that note, surprised to see Beckett's still seem to be a thing.

How old are you? 7-11 has been a us thing since the late 60's when they invented the slurped and got bigger the 70's