• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
Polygon:
Playing the game, I kept thinking of the ongoing conversation about how we raise sons to not be utter garbage humans. How do we not intentionally or inadvertently teach them toxic masculine behavior? I'm curious, what conversations were you having in the office while you were putting together this story and the relationship between Kratos and Atreus?

Cory Barlog:
Knowing that five years was going to go into this [game], I knew that we'd have an incredible megaphone. We have the ability to say something with what we do, right? Which I think is awesome. And I think perhaps I didn't take advantage of that so much when I was starting out [in games]. I was so, sort of, enamored that I didn't really think too much about the things below it, right?

[There's this] idea of him not knowing how to do these things, but his son not knowing any different, right? Because [Atreus] wasn't fully raised by Kratos. [His mother] Faye did a lot of the work initially. [Kratos] was spending a lot of time out in the woods, trying to figure out how to get control of the demons inside of him — the monster inside of him that we, as his creators, allowed to be out all the time.

So we are, in a large portion, were responsible for the fact that [Kratos] is the monster at all times,
and now we are in turn taking our responsibility to help him balance these things. The journey is that he's not very good at it in the beginning, and that's what's so fascinating, right? That a young kid, a 10- to 12-year-old child, can teach this guy who's lived for hundreds of years? Who's ascended to the throne of the pantheon of Greek gods, and been responsible for the downfall of so many of these deities. He has so much learning to do.

The full quote is here:
https://www.polygon.com/platform/am...7287292/god-of-war-ps4-sony-toxic-masculinity

213372bu

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
These are terrible sounding takes for as smooth and natural as the transition was done in-game.

Like:
the monster inside of him that we, as his creators, allowed to be out all the time. So we are, in a large portion, were responsible for the fact that [Kratos] is the monster at all times, and now we are in turn taking our responsibility to help him balance these things.
It's framed that Kratos can't be held as a terrible person in the narrative game because of the moral and social responsibilities of the developer, and that there's this sort of responsibility to "fix" him into a more politically correct character.

Deliberately flawed characters don't need to "turn good", stuff like Kratos's journey as being a piece of shit who killed all his deities and the world are perfectly fine to play through in the context of a game.

The game itself handled the transition well, and they handled it by not necessarily "redeeming" him and allowing him to still largely hold the same perspective with small, believable nudges of change.

Haven't fully finished the game yet, but I don't want to see Kratos as some righteous hero in future games.

Soundwind

Banned for suspected use of alt account
Apr 13, 2018
i don't really think you can use the concept of "toxic masculinty" and apply it to the world that Kratos lives in, context matters

a world in which mythological beasts and tyrannical gods are roaming the lands out for blood, i just feel like tying our real life concepts to a world that operates with completely different rules is really not helpful

Kratos teaches his kid to kill, because he is teaching him to survive in a harsh world

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Aren't you teaching your son how to kill the shit out of stuff?
You are indeed, even endangered magical pigs.

It would have been far more interesting if Kratos had a daughter IMO (edit: obviously I mean as his companion in the game). As it stands the game is entirely clichéd. A truly fantastic game nevertheless, but not because of its narrative.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that fair in a world where everything wants to kill you?

It would have been far more interesting if Kratos had a daughter IMO. As it stands the game is entirely clichéd. A truly fantastic game nevertheless, but not because of its narrative.

Eh, even killing or trying to kill that pig is acknowledged in that game. Narrative is amazing. And what does clichéd even mean? He chose a boy because he had a boy.

Soundwind

Apr 13, 2018

It would have been far more interesting if Kratos had a daughter IMO. As it stands the game is entirely clichéd. A truly fantastic game nevertheless, but not because of its narrative.
he did have a daughter

and besides how many games do we get father and son.....there are many father and daughter type games out there

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Kratos does, but he makes also clear several times, especially when Atreus gets some sort of flight of fancy, that he teaches him this to protect himself in this world, not to go around killing and maiming unprovoked. At one point, when they are about to fight human enemies, he wants Atreus to stay out of it.
In some instances Kratos even chides Atreus for being unkind to certain other characters, which I would have never thought possible.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
but everyone still gets brutally beaten and killed in this game

Actually yes and no. The majority of enemies are already dead, unlike previous God of War games you don't actually brutally murder people. When you do kill people its not as black and white as it used to be (trying not to be specific so I don't spoil anything).

In fact, several times, Kratos teaches Atreus not to kill a beaten enemy.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
What a ridiculous question from Polygon. Why do we need to try to apply some weird cultural psuedo-parenting question to a game set in a hard fantasy land featuring a god that is hundreds of years old who so utterly obliterated one mythology that he had to up and move to a completely different one?

Huge kudos to Cory Barlog for having such a great answer to such a stupid question.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the new Kratos better; seemed more in control(calm & collected) with better decapitation skills.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
It's a very weak change. Not nearly enough to keep it from contributing to toxic masculinity, but it's a start, I guess.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
Actually yes and no. The majority of enemies are already dead, unlike previous God of War games you don't actually brutally murder people. When you do kill people its not as black and white as it used to be (trying not to be specific so I don't spoil anything).

In fact, several times, Kratos teaches Atreus not to kill a beaten enemy.

it's still a hyper violent game, where nearly every conflict is 'solved' through violence

Barracuda

Oct 30, 2017
Did the gameplay not interest you? I'm not a massive fan of Kratos' persona myself, but that didn't stop me playing.
Played it unil a little bit after the Norse god guy who zipped around. Circle to open door and climb stuff annoys me. It's cheap game play. That combined with the grunting main character saying boy all the time ended it for me. I don't want to play a jerk off body builder as a protagonist. Also why can the "boy"speak normally and Kratos speaks like he has brain damage.

Oct 27, 2017
Think want you want about Kratos,it is all justified. But this story seems to be more about the boy though. Kratos is just the guide. That context is laid out very early on. Kratos may be the main playable character but is not the main focus of the story.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It would have been far more interesting if Kratos had a daughter IMO (edit: obviously I mean as his companion in the game). As it stands the game is entirely clichéd. A truly fantastic game nevertheless, but not because of its narrative.

The Narrative is very good in God of War. It tell's multiple stories very well. Not every game has to be the most original thing ever. There's classic story arcs that are classic for a reason. "Cliché" has such unfair neggative connotations, like Tropes. Cliché it's a term of definement they arn't inherently good or bad

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Played it unil a little bit after the Norse god guy who zipped around. Circle to open door and climb stuff annoys me. It's cheap game play. That combined with the grunting main character saying boy all the time ended it for me. I don't want to play a jerk off body builder as a protagonist. Also why can the "boy"speak normally and Kratos speaks like he has brain damage.

I don't think playing 10-15 minutes of a 30-hour game gives nearly enough insight to be making blanket statements. Everything opens up, including Kratos' vocabulary.

OP
OP

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
What a ridiculous question from Polygon. Why do we need to try to apply some weird cultural psuedo-parenting question to a game set in a hard fantasy land featuring a god that is hundreds of years old who so utterly obliterated one mythology that he had to up and move to a completely different one?

Huge kudos to Cory Barlog for having such a great answer to such a stupid question.

What are you even talking about?

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
it's still a hyper violent game, where nearly every conflict is 'solved' through violence

Absolutely. But compared to previous God of War games? Its something else entirely. The final boss fight, as it happened in this game, would never have happened in any of the previous games. Even the first encounter with another "human being" wouldn't have happened the way it did in any of the previous games.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Why would that be more interesting?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's like 10 minutes in lol. And if you turned it off because of his bullshit macho persona you missed the entire point of the game and his change

Soundwind

Apr 13, 2018
yes because its a reflection of the world they live in

why do some people purposely miss the context that this is a completely different reality from us with different rules

Soundwind

Apr 13, 2018
Again

you can't apply the concept of "toxic masculinity" to the world Kratos lives in where beasts and gods are out for blood

you simply can't

Barracuda

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: Derailment - Please don’t use this thread to discuss your opinions of a game you didn’t play.
Serious question. Why did you buy it then? It clearly an action title with violent combat.
A friend brought it over and I played for a few hours. The game isn't for me based on the main character. For the developers to say it's combating male stereotypes/masculinity is pretty laughable.