Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

View: https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1633514699030667265?s=20

"Dinosaurs are such magical, bizarre creatures, and when you're a young kid… it's incomprehensible!" Woods says. "How did these giant creatures walk the Earth, the same Earth that we walk today? And I think ever since that age, we've always wondered, like… Do Spielberg and Universal [Pictures] have a monopoly on dinosaurs? Or is there a way to do one in a way that we haven't seen before?"

"It's impossible to escape Jurassic Park's shadow. It's one of the best movies of all time, and one of the best executions of visual effects creatures in cinema history. I think all we were trying to achieve here was breaking past the debilitating fear that apparently all of Hollywood has had since Jurassic Park came out: that you can only have one dinosaur franchise."

"Why aren't there as many dinosaur movies every year as superhero movies?" he asks. "Who doesn't love dinosaurs?"

More at the article that goes over JP's Monopoly and how 65 is hoping to change that. Personally, it's something i've been saying for awhile.
It's rather crazy that you can basically count all of the "Major" Dinosaur films on two hands and 6 of them are all from one franchise.

Very excited to see the film tomorrow. Will be nice to finally have a new Dino film to watch on the big screen. I truly hope it does well enough to show that other studios can make Dinosaur films. As there are so many different styles and ratings we could see if that happens.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Let's go

MV5BMGE2MDBhODctN2JhMy00NGRjLWFlZjAtNjk5MGUwNTBmMzJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2MjQyNDc@._V1_.jpg

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
If this movie is a success - what will the sequel be called?

65-2?
66?
64? (Chronologically correct)

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Totally agree, this is long overdue. For years I've been saying a simple story like someone washes up on an island and has to escape a single raptor (Prey style) would work.

I'm not against the sci-fi element but they could have made it less complicated though.

I see you Theodore and raise you...

npsyRO0l.jpg

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually really stoked for this movie. I hope it does well. Well, I hope it's good, and if so, then it does well.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give it this: I'm not terribly excited for this, but it will be difficult for me to like this movie less than Dominion

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking the same thing myself recently. There definitely should be more Dinosaur movies.
Totally agree, this is long overdue. For years I've been saying a simple story like someone washes up on an island and has to escape a single raptor (Prey style) would work.

I'm not against the sci-fi element but they could have made it less complicated though.
This. I'd watch that. You don't need a needlessly complicated setup to showcase some dino-action. I'm not sure why seemingly no other big blockbuster featuring dinosaurs (apart from Jurassic Park/World) did make it in Hollywood in the last 30 years, as dinosaurs are a thing that is always universally popular.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Question for dinosaur blockbuster movie fans: do Kaiju movies scratch the same itch for you? Or does the giant reptile terrorizing people need to be something real from history?

Ché

Oct 14, 2022
Canada
Should've chosen a snappier IP name to compete with the Jurassic brand, something like extinction

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Damn right lets get more Dino movies. And to answer above, no Kaiju movies do not. It's not the same, though they are great in their own awesome way(for me anyway).

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Marketing has been great on this movie so far, but they really should have called it 65 Million rather than just 65.

May 10, 2018
I don't know how true it will turn out to be but I saw a tweet from someone claiming to have seen it and apparently the Dino's are barely in it.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
—>Claims the movie has dinosaurs
—> Every preview shows shrink-wrapped fantasy monsters.

Yeah, I think I'll wait for Prehistoric Planet 2.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Question for dinosaur blockbuster movie fans: do Kaiju movies scratch the same itch for you? Or does the giant reptile terrorizing people need to be something real from history?
I mean frankly I'd rather they not do "giant reptile terrorizing people" at all. Dinosaurs weren't monsters, they were animals. The original Jurassic Park treated them as such, and then starting with that stupid fucking San Diego sequence in Lost World they became just another entity hunting down and killing people.

So, no, kaiju movies are entirely their own thing. Dinosaurs in movies don't always need to be mindless destructive murder machines. Make a Dinotopia movie series. Make alternate history movies where it's the Wild West but with dinosaurs. Do literally anything else besides Jurassic Park.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck to them!

I stand by my opinion that the last 2 Jurassic World films only made as much money as they did (despite being pure crap) because they scratch the dinosaur itch a lot of people have and no other blockbuster film caters to...

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

No because:

1.) Kaiju aren't real and never were

2.) Kaiju are monsters that terrorize people and/or one another. What makes (good) dinosaur media special is that they are real animals. Sometimes they hunt you, sometimes they just leave you alone, sometimes they're as curious about you are you are of them.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
After the Jurassic World Trilogy, can't blame them. About time we got some more Dinosaurs out there.

(Also Marvel, hurry up and get Devil Dinosaur into the MCU already. Bring Moon Girl as well.)

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it is sad that we don't we used to have loads of dinosaur movies with the beginning of stop motion and throughout and then for some reason Jurassic Park happened and no one else was either willing or able to do dinosaurs.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry Mr Director's,

Early buzz sounds very negative and embargo on the day of the movie relesse is NEVER a good sign.

Shame, as I wanted to see this movie!

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dino Riders is just sitting right there completely untapped. One of the coolest fucking dinosaur IPs out there that even the most untalented Hollywood hack couldn't screw up is just being left to rot in the 80s dustbin. Anybody in Hollywood complaining about Jurassic Park having a monopoly over dino flicks, there's your new golden goose.