• Zaeed

Votes: 82 6.1%
  • Kasumi

Votes: 132 9.8%

• Total voters

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
With Mass Effect on my brain due to all the rumors of a Trilogy remaster, one thing I was thinking about is how so many people always talk about how the human party members and romances were lacking compared to the exciting and more interesting alien squadmates and love interests. I mean, I see how it makes sense - there's something fun about tapping into your inner Captain Kirk and going where no man or woman has gone before - and I'd be lying if I said I played the games differently. Tali was my LI for my MaleShep, Garrus my FemShep's partner, and both were constantly in my party, replacing the humans as quickly as I was able.

But as I reflect, I think most of them get a bad rap. While initially they are "boring" by comparison, many of them grow and evolve and change and challenge you and become fascinating characters in their own right - even ones as widely mocked as "nobody's first picks" like Kaiden, Jacob, or Vega. I remember my wife playing and getting to a point in Miranda's story and just sighing. "Dang it, I wanted to hate her SO MUCH... but now I like her. Ugh."

So which human character or characters do you think players should give another look to during an inevitable remaster playthrough?

For me, I think Jack has grown into my favorite human squadmate. I wasn't fond of her in ME2 - I found her "edgy" attitude and design rather cringe-y, but she grew on me as I began to really think about her circumstances, how much of her attitude was a front, and how she softened as she found friends, family, and purpose in a universe she once viewed as ruthless, uncaring, and cruel.
SubjectZeroME3.jpg

I'm thinking Vega gets too much hate too (he's the best "starting human" in my opinion), and Zaeed found time to enjoy himself and I love the community's treatment of him as someone who is always "the only survivor" of even mundane experiences.

Anyway, which Mass Effect Humans deserve more love? Who can claim to be as interesting as your alien pals? Let me know; I'm curious to know if opinions have changed over the last decade.

... Since I could only put 7 options up, looks like VEGA is sitting this one out.
OWJEQ.gif

I screwed up the poll and would've swapped him in for Jacob, because I actually really like Vega.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ew... people like Ashley? She's probably my least favorite.
I'll reiterate this. Ashley grew on me significantly. I really was turned off by her in ME1, but she showed some real character growth, confronting her own bigotries and her place in her family history as she matured. By the end, I totally bought it when she was saying she was happy for Tali and I and viewed her as a little sister while later getting tipsy and flirting with Vega.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I can't in good conscience vote for any Mass Effect companion poll that does not include Garrus. Most of the human characters were either boring or jerks.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Jack, Kasumi and Miranda are my top 3.

Gosh, hurry with the remasters EA, i miss Mass Effect.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Miranda. She has a better storyline than the others and has a more unique and prominent role in the main plot (Ashley and Kaiden are interchangeable by design, and the others are just kind of there).

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I just remember when you have sex with Jack, and the rest of the game she just tells you to fuck off.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Miranda easily, both from a story and gameplay standpoint.
She figures into the main story, has a good side story, and is one of the more powerful squadmate in gameplay.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Romancing Miranda as Renegade Shep is one of my favorite ME subplots. She's my girl.

Jack is a somewhat close second.

Got dammit, ME2 rules. I need that remaster yesterday.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jack is definitely the most unique and nuanced character, and has a great design (though I prefer her bald look to her ME3 hair). But I do really love Zaaed - he's sort of the generic scummy mercenary type, but he's got a great voice actor and fun dialogue.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Miranda or Jack, I guess. Zaeed is cool too. I've never been too fond of the human squad members in Mass Effect tbh. The alien squadmates were just way more interesting.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Kaidan, though I'm biased cause even though his gay romance was hastily thrown together at the last minute, I still enjoyed it and liked him as a character throughout the series. I feel like Miranda was probably the best written overall, though the gratuitous ass shots do her no favors.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Jack as well. Ashley grows a lot as the story progresses, same goes for Kaidan. Kasumi was great, Zaeed not so much. Miranda felt a bit too one-note for me, and Jacob was okay. Never gave a chance to Vega, a mistake I'll correct next time I replay the trilogy (hopefully in the remaster?).

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Think Jack is the best closely followed by Miranda. Personally love Kasumi but being a DLC character shes just not in the game enough.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Jack > Miranda > Ashley are my Top 3

Really liked Kasumi as well but her being dlc kinda makes her lose by default just like Zaeed. They just don't have as much to go on.

Jacob is the worst, had the personality of a rock, I did like his quest though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I will at least give Zaeed props for becoming less of a dickhead after I shot him. Because man he was an asshole until I kneecapped him.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Ashley or Miranda. I voted for Ashley b/c she was my favorite squad member in ME1 - she was a beast gameplay wise.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Miranda is the most fleshed out, and probably the default human choice out of the cast. That distinction would go to the Virmire survivors if the critical nature of their existence didn't handicap potential writing opportunities.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
They all have pretty big weaknesses, but I think Miranda did the best job overcoming them. If the game camera wasn't glued to her ass in half the scenes with her present it would have been even better. I never did play ME3 though so I've never even seen Vega and I know Ashley and Kaiden in particular get more development in that game too.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Miranda is one of my favorite squad mates in gaming - great personal storyline, ties into the main plot, Yvonne Strahovski is a wonderful actress, and a good party member to have. I was very disappointed she didn't join your main party in ME3.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely horrid character design aside, I'd put Jack.

It would have been Kasumi but her repetitive lines kind of infuriated me.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
lol Ashley

Always sent her off to think long and hard about her actions while guarding the bomb in ME1. She doesn't even lift!

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I enjoyed most of them. But I always liked Ashley a lot. She's rather imperfect and flawed, but not like Zaeed or Jack flawed where they're fundamentally bad person or incredibly traumatized. She's what I would imagine a lot of humans would be like, overwhelmed and suspicious of this vast new galaxy and the species that inhabit it. But as the series progresses she grows and improves herself as person and really goes beyond that. It was a very satisfying and enjoyable character arc. I always thought the "Space Racist" moniker was extremely reductive and not really applicable to her case at all.

Kaiden as well really grows a lot too from a rather mopey character to something a bit more interesting. I like Jacob too even if he's rather basic and doesn't get as much growth. He's just a solid dude.

Miranda, Jack, Zaeed and Kasumi are all great, but they get a big leg up as they're the sexy characters with mysterious and/or fantastical backgrounds. So they're inherently more interesting from the jump.

Vega is perfectly fine, but nothing amazing. He lacks the time to really get a lot of development or change only appearing in the final game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
lol Ashley

Always sent her off to think long and hard about her actions while guarding the bomb in ME1.

Kaidan is boring but at least he isn't a racist. I think a lot of people actively dislike him because he has the same voice actor as Carth and that brings back KotOR trauma.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I can't believe this poll, wow.
She has no depth whatsoever, no qualities, she's the bland "Space babe" of the franchise.
But..
Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised given her "assets", sadly.

Btw, Jack and Zaeed ftw.
And even if people like duking on him, Kaidan is a sweet sweet boi.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
I never realized how bad the human squadmates were until I came into this thread. I think I literally thought of every alien/machine teammate before getting to the first human one, and, even then, the first one was Joker.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In terms of squadmate, I'd say Jack. But I also really liked Cora in Andromeda.

But as far as the whole crew goes, Suvi and Gil were also great. And I think Dr. Chakwas and Joker were a few of the best characters overall.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Lol at all the Miranda votes.

I shot my shot with Jack in ME2, but I must have screwed up one of the dialogue options and she kept telling me to fuck off, haha.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I... didn't think Miranda was that popular? Huh.

I like Kaiden though he's a goober