DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
So, there was a thread about the car chase that lead to this, but this seemed like it needed it's own thread.

Law-enforcement sources told the Miami Herald that four people were killed: the two robbers, a UPS driver who was taken hostage and a bystander who was inside an idle car at the scene.

Footage showed a terrifying scene at the peak of rush hour, as the UPS truck slowed to a stop on Miramar Parkway near Flamingo Road in the midst of a cluster of stopped cars shortly after 5:30 p.m. News cameras zoomed in on the passenger side of the truck, and showed the small bursts of light and smoke indicating gunfire.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article238090049.html#storylink=cpy
A law enforcement source told the Herald that a robber fired into the floor and the bullet ricocheted, hitting a female employee of the store in the forehead.

At least one bullet flew toward Coral Gables City Hall across the street.

Billy Urquia, the Coral Gables city clerk, was in his private office when he heard a gun shot, then a second, and then the sound of a bullet piercing his window.

"The bullet ricocheted off the wall and landed on the floor," Urquia said Thursday night. "The last one I heard was the one that came in."

Urquia said he hurried outside his office to find a city security guard already on the phone with police. He estimated the bullet missed him by about two or three feet. A photo taken afterward shows the bullet hole looming over Urquia's monitor, just below the window blinds. "No glass hit me," Urquia said.

The UPS truck was carjacked soon afterward, although authorities didn't say exactly where.

"The individuals abducted the driver of the truck as well as the truck itself," Coral Gables Chief Edward Hudak said.

Police officers soon found the UPS truck, which made its way up the Florida Turnpike, then Okeechobee Road, then onto Interstate 75 into Broward County. The robbers apparently shot at cops during the chase.

The van exited in Pembroke Pines and weaved its way through the streets — at one point breaking through a traffic arm into the Century Village community — all while followed by a long stream of police cars.

After the shooting, paramedics rushed to treat the injured men. WSVN-Channel 7 reported that at least one person was being airlifted to a trauma center.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Novelty dog in human clothes door stop really threw me for a loop

naAdkPp.jpg

Title made me think the police shot them. Sad that 2 Innocents died over jewelry

RIP

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Awful situation.

I saw it live and I honestly have no idea what the right call was there. The van and cops were all surrounded by bystanders while the robbers started shooting at the cops. Do you let them continue shooting or try and stop them as fast as possible? It's not a position I envy.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Here's an idea, let them have the jewelry. Like, let them take it. Then, once the robbers are done, arrest them

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
jesus christ, I can't even imagine what their families are going through.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
For people that didn't see it, they were firing out of the UPS truck before the police opened fire. There were cars all around the truck.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Did they really use a persons car who was still in their vehicle as a shield during a shootout??

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Link to original thread?

Police chases are never a good idea, nor are shootouts

This is why we have detectives

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
There's little doubt in my mind that both innocent victims were killed by police.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I will await further analysis of what happened, but that's a damn shame that an uninvolved motorist was also stuck and killed by gunfire. Was there no way to take these guys non-lethally? I understand the gravity of the situation when the suspects are freely opening fire in the middle of stopped traffic, but maybe we need a different approach when we have live hostage situations with confirmed reporting of gunfire and armed suspects.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
I will await further analysis of what happened, but that's a damn shame that an uninvolved motorist was also stuck and killed by gunfire. Was there no way to take these guys non-lethally? I understand the gravity of the situation when the suspects are freely opening fire in the middle of stopped traffic, but maybe we need a different approach when we have live hostage situations with confirmed reporting of gunfire and armed suspects.
I am completely for any and all forms of effective de-escalation and non-lethal apprehension, but a situation like this doesn't seem at all suited for non-lethal apprehension.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I am completely for any and all forms of effective de-escalation and non-lethal apprehension, but a situation like this doesn't seem at all suited for non-lethal apprehension.
I think a situation in which pedestrians outnumber suspects and police SPECIFICALLY calls for non-lethal apprehension.

remmber in dragonball Z where they would go to somewhere unpopulated to fight

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Seems unwise to corner an active shooter with a hostage. I think we should rethink that approach. I don't have any good suggestions, though.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I just saw a new video from another helicopter. It does appear that the people in the truck shot first, then the police unload on the truck. Like the side is full of holes. If you see a video with Spanish text be warned that you will watch people die.

Also in the new video some cars knew what was happening as they lane split and got the hell out of there before the gunfire.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I fucking hate thieves. This is why I'm for cameras everywhere. Let the fuckers take it. They will eventually get caught.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
unknown. They will have to check the bullets and guns.
Even if the cops were the ones to shoot the bystanders, I can't imagine we'll know for a long, long time.

It really sucks that these criminals were so violent to make such an encounter by the police necessary though. I agree with the poster above that letting them have the jewelry is much better than this outcome. But, sometimes hands get forced :(

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Here's an idea, let them have the jewelry. Like, let them take it. Then, once the robbers are done, arrest them

I had some american posters here insist that I should defend the 200$ till at my job with my life (or even keep a gun to shoot anyone who wants it lol), and were dumbfounded that the policy in Québec is mostly "let the robber take the cash".

Can't imagine what they think is appropriate to stop a jewelry theft that alread had a casualty. Usually that is license to kill in action movies.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the video,that's a lot of gun fire and i could be wrong but the cops totally killed the UPS driver.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
I had some american posters here insist that I should defend the 200$ till at my job with my life (or even keep a gun to shoot anyone who wants it lol), and were dumbfounded that the policy in Québec is mostly "let the robber take the cash".

Can't imagine what they think is appropriate to stop a jewelry theft that alread had a casualty. Usually that is license to kill in action movies.
If it helps, I've never encountered a "fight back" or "resist" company policy in my adult life here in the US, whether it's a gas station, retail store, etc.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019

Most, if not all, companies in the US say just give them the money and don't resist at all. Fighting back or doing anything but giving up the cash will get you fired at the very least. It's a pretty stupid thing to insist you do otherwise.

As far as this situation goes, the second camera angle I think shows the cops shot and killed the UPS driver as they tried to crawl out of the truck after one of the robbers fell on him I assume after being shot. Gunfire from the cops hit him right in the back. Fucking awful, and the cops firing blindly like that in the middle of rush hour on a crowded freeway is a tremendous fuck up, even if the robbers had already fired off some shots. You had the helo on the truck, they weren't getting away, and you could easily back off until they're not in the middle of a fucking crowded freeway.