Jomon

One Winged Slayer
Jun 16, 2019
Brazil
That was a curve ball coming from Game Freak. Everyone waiting (I was not an exception) for a Johto or Unova remake, and was Kalos. I'm happy. My favorite Pokémon game from Switch era was Legends: Arceus. Expecting great things from here (And waiting for new Megaevolutions e new regional forms!)

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
As a MASSIVE Gen V Stan I'm a little hurt, not gonna lie... That being said, I'm hopeful this game will help me appreciate the Kalos region for the first time, since I despised X and Y.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't watch the event or whatever right now, are we expecting this to have the same gameplay style as Legends Arceus?

It's hard to know because the setting is in a city this time around, so they might go for an entirely different gameplay loop

Now if you mean specifically the strong/agile style thing, then probably...? But they didn't show any gameplay so it's unconfirmed

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, gold and silver weren't crossgen, at least not by the modern definition and in any case, even if we follow the argument and go with saying it does count, then the gba was also crossgen and they clearly didn't use it there.

One of the more prominent examples of the gba being able to improve games would be shanty risks revenge which has a vastly improved colour palette when played on a GBA rather than a game boy colour, which wasn't something that e.g. crystal made use of
The idea behind games that could be played on GBC with proper color is absolutely crossgen. It functions the same as Xbox cross gen and plenty of PS5 cross gen games.
As for GBA, GF didn't release any games on GBC after GBA launched.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to know because the setting is in a city this time around.

Now if you mean specifically the strong/agile style thing, then probably, but they didn't show any gameplay so it's unconfirmed

I think mostly I was thinking of its method of encountering & catching pokemon as compared to the main games, but sounds like theres no way to know yet

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Legends is a spin off by any normal definition. Game Freak/whoever don't call it a spin off only for marketing purposes.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
I like the idea of expanding into Kalos more, X/Y felt like a barebones iteration with mostly genwun nostalgia pandering while slapping a French sticker on it; hope they keep that to a bare simmer with Charizard Z

Since Legends: Arceus took inspiration with the Meiji Restoration Japan. I'm predicting Legends: Zygarde would have Belle Époque France. Would be awesome to have a Fire Emblem: Three Houses approach with warring factions between Kalos offshoots of monarchists, Bonapartists, and Republicans struggling for power and whichever faction you choose destabilizes the region

That's asking too much for GF though.

TheElderKing

Jul 31, 2020
It's hard to know because the setting is in a city this time around, so they might go for an entirely different gameplay loop

Now if you mean specifically the strong/agile style thing, then probably...? But they didn't show any gameplay so it's unconfirmed
I think there are good changes for them to go with a different game loop (I don't see how they could replicate PLA's game loop in most type of Legends game that wouldn't be very similar to Arceus, let alone one set in a city which already exist in some form prior to the game).

Even in terms of combat, I think it might be different then the traditional in some forms, but I don't think it'll necessarily have strong/agile or similar features. I expect held items to be back in this game also.

I think the catching part might actually be the one that might end up diverging a lot in Z-A compared to traditional games, or even Arceus.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
I think the bit after the Z are legs to indicate Zygarde will be in COMPLETE form.

Twohearts

Banned
Feb 8, 2024
Straya
I'm here for this day 1, especially if they give new Kalosian forms. I do wonder what the setting would be though... if it's a urban renewal plan, it could be around the creation of the big not-Eifel tower which was just before the Colombian Exhibition in the real world so we could be looking aroudn late 1880s-1900??? We could also be looking at a futurisitic game which could be cool. Cautiously optimistic either way

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Legends is a mainline title because the developers literally tell you it is. There is no higher authority to appeal to, and anything beyond that is just going back to the old "well Super Mario 3D World isn't a real 3-D Mario", as if that means fucking anything at all.

As for Z-A, I'm intrigued since I really liked many of the changes and additions Legends brought, but also have some trepidation because I have a hard time wrestling with the shift to an intra-urban setting and how that seems like it would necessarily remove a lot of those same elements I enjoyed about the first Legends. The notion of needing to literally, physically avoid attacks from strong wild pokemon would practically need to be gone, as would a lot of the stealth elements and material collection and the whole vibe of venturing out into wild territory.
I'm trying not to develop any expectations about how this will actually work, but my hope is that the lessons they took out of LA weren't "people liked the idea of building up a central city, and also want way more trainer battles" and made that the focus over all the real-time world and pokemon interactions.

BK0X

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
Not what I was hoping for. But PLA is the only good Pokemon game on the Switch. So I have high hopes for this one.
#RIPUnova

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the whole cross-gen conversation I can only say I wish it is cross-gen, but I can honestly see they making it exclusive to the next console.

I don't think it will happen, even more because of the "Nintendo switch systems" note.
This is most definitely a Switch title, at most a cross gen title. They wouldn't announce a Switch 2 exclusive before Nintendo even announces the console.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If Switch 2 has full BC they can just release a single SKU and enhance it for Switch 2 no? Crossgen without much hassle.
I'm sure there will be passive performance benefits for the Switch 2 through backwards compatibility, I just doubt that Game Freak will bother making a native Switch 2 version of Legends Z-A.

As a MASSIVE Gen V Stan I'm a little hurt, not gonna lie... That being said, I'm hopeful this game will help me appreciate the Kalos region for the first time, since I despised X and Y.
If anything, this is the best-case scenario. With Game Freak & TPC seemingly sticking to one traditional remake per system, this means that Black/White's remake will be on the Switch 2.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
Mega Evolutions to the other gimmicks since Gen VII:

you-could-not-live-with-your-own-failure.jpg

Damn straight!!!!😤😤😤

Mega-evolution gang was in never in doubt!

Ya had it right the first time Nintendo!!!(Well game freak!😅)

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
If anything, this is the best-case scenario. With Game Freak & TPC seemingly sticking to one traditional remake per system, this means that Black/White's remake will be on the Switch 2.
I think the lowkey best part of this news, too, is that we might be done with yearly releases? Hopefully this franchise gets the well earned TLC it deserves moving forward.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Question: is the Z-A implies there are two legendary Pokemons or is it something else? I took as a Zygarde and some other A-something pokemon. I'm probably very wrong.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think the lowkey best part of this news, too, is that we might be done with yearly releases? Hopefully this franchise gets the well earned TLC it deserves moving forward.
Exactly what I was talking about in my first post, especially if it's later in 2025 like the lack of an "Early 2025" mention implies.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
It has a dedicated subtitle. It plays differently. It is set far in the past. It doesn't introduce a new generation of Pokémon. It's a spin off.

Why are some of you so weird about this
Nobody cares about your personal—personal being the keyword—criteria of what makes a mainline title a mainline title. GameFreak's said it's mainline, therefore it is. You don't have to twist yourself into a pretzel making pedantic arguments simply for the sake of it.

Who's the weirdo here? Lmao

Drayco21

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
The Legends games are all in the past right? Are we going to see the great Pokemon war where people ship off their tiny grass fairies to the front line and then get their corpses back in shoeboxes in mail like in the flashbacks for X/Y? Because seeing that is the hardest I remember laughing at a game's plot in a long, long time and I'd love to see more of that.

And hey, Megas are the only good gimmick - hopefully them coming back here won't just be for a fun return to the region and we'll see them in the next mainline game instead of dumb glass pope hats or big character models.

Legends is a spin off by any normal definition. Game Freak/whoever don't call it a spin off only for marketing purposes.

This is clearly true, I just don't think it's a hill worth debating people on. It's about as mainline as Let's Go or Mystery Dungeon imo

Pierogi Mage

One Winged Slayer
Dec 7, 2017
The Legends games are all in the past right? Are we going to see the great Pokemon war where people ship off their tiny grass fairies to the front line and then get their corpses back in shoeboxes in mail like in the flashbacks for X/Y? Because seeing that is the hardest I remember laughing at a game's plot in a long, long time and I'd love to see more of that.

And hey, Megas are the only good gimmick - hopefully them coming back here won't just be for a fun return to the region and we'll see them in the next mainline game instead of dumb glass pope hats or big character models.

This is clearly true, I just don't think it's a hill worth debating people on. It's about as mainline as Let's Go or Mystery Dungeon imo
I think itll be set in the 1800s during paris reconstruction

Skel

Oct 27, 2017
France
Regionals are combat stuff? You play Alolan Ninetales way differently than Ninetales with it's Aurora Veil sets, Arcanine is one mighty good support pokemon with good damage whilst Hisuian Arcanine throws away some of those support options for some of the strongest damaging recoil moves in the game (alongside an ability to work with them). Zapdos is one of the mightiest special sweepers, whilst Galarian Zapdos is one of the mightiest Physical Sweepers, these are all cool combat changes, alongside much more visually pleasing designs and less game-breaking annoyance tied with them too.

I feel that people not even classing Regionals as gimmicks are rather as staples, when they could have very easily have been just a Gen 7 thing is proof enough why they are the best of the bunch.

I don't think you understand my post.

You are treating Regional Pokémon as gimmicks while I consider them as new Pokémon with their own typings, movesets and abilities. Mega, Z, Max and Tera are gimmicks you activate only once per fight.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
So is this set in the past? It's hard to tell from that trailer.

The game being set entirely within the confines of Lumiose sounded questionable at first but I can see some really cool potential there for a super detailed city, with lots of interiors, different urban environments, lots of colliding and combining cultures, and perhaps the best narrative ever seen in a Pokémon Game (okay maybe I am being too optimistic).

Pokemon Colosseum was mostly set within the confines of cities and labs and it's easily one of my favorite games in the series, so there is a lot of potential for an idea like this.

Best Wishes to GameFreak on this new endeavor, excited to see some gameplay this summer hopefully.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
The Legends games are "all" in the past insomuch as the literal one example we have is a Legends game set in the past. One data point is not enough to establish any sort of trend or expectations as to what this game will or won't include. Like the whole useless "mainline" debate, we don't actually know what core ideas are meant to make a Legends game a Legends game beyond that GameFreak says it is.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Surprised this is a Switch game honestly. You'd think in 2025 they'd be pumping out software for the successor.

Apr 9, 2018
Don't think we know, there's only been one Legends game so there's no pattern. This could be a sequel to X and Y as far as we know

Aki

Mar 20, 2020
That was a curve ball coming from Game Freak. Everyone waiting (I was not an exception) for a Johto or Unova remake, and was Kalos. I'm happy. My favorite Pokémon game from Switch era was Legends: Arceus. Expecting great things from here (And waiting for new Megaevolutions e new regional forms!)

Same! I loved Arceus and it got me excited for the series again.

Curious to see what the gameplay will be like since the game is only set in Lumiose city. Will we have biomes? Can we catch Pokémon? Or will it be a Pokemon XD/Colisseum type game where we focus more on battles?

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Even if it's not cross-gen, I can't imagine they wouldn't build in the option to take advantage of additional processing power if you're on Switch 2, providing a smoother framerate.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you understand my post.

You are treating Regional Pokémon as gimmicks while I consider them as new Pokémon. Mega, Z, Max and Tera are gimmicks you activate only once per fight.

I just remember the time when Regionals were considered to be standard feature going forward and directly compared to Megas (It helped that at the time Megas hadn't been removed yet). Even then Regionals were seen as the more popular option over Megas (WIth the biggest complaint being why were they all Kanto only, which later gens resolved.)

With how much work on the design, conceptualizing, modelling, animating and lore for Megas, they can easily be seen as new pokemon as well. I saw people made this claim to balance how few new pokemon Gen 6 had because a lot of resources got pulled towards the megas instead.

Jun 16, 2019
I am making a definitive claim here, I absolutely don't think this game is taking place in the past. It's going to be about someone in the modern Lumiose City urban planning office conducting a comprehensive survey of Lumiosian wildlife to better integrate pokemon habitats into the city.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
X and Y were the last games with a new Eevee-lution, I wonder if it's finally time for another one?
Or maybe, Mega Eevee-lutions??

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Exactly what I was talking about in my first post, especially if it's later in 2025 like the lack of an "Early 2025" mention implies.

They also barely showed anything. Usually at this point they atleast have some short game footage, so maybe they only announced it because Pokemon day and to just show the next mainline game.