Who's responsible for the Gen 1 focus?

• Gen 1 Fans

• Devs/Publishers

Results are only viewable after voting.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
There's pretty undeniable, notable focus placed on the first generation of Pokémon (Pikachu, Squirtle, the region of Kanto, etc.). A lot of stuff from the first gen gets referenced or brought back, first gen Pokémon come back with new forms more often, that gen gets the most remakes, and so forth.

In discussions online, I've seen blame for this ascribed to the developers and publishers of the series (guess that extends to merchandisers too), and have seen blame be put on fans of Gen 1 ("Genwunnerz").

Ultimately, who is to blame? I find levying blame on the fans to be absurd because unless there's a significant majority of those fans campaigning and petitioning for more merch and references to that gen, then it's ultimately up to the creators/publishers for what content gets made and how. The games could opt to reference more post-Gen 1 games and content if the creators chose to do so.

What do you think?

Mar 8, 2018
If you want to "blame" anyone, which I don't think you should, you can "blame" the artists and marketing team for developing recognizable and broadly popular iconic characters in Gen 1. And then you can "blame" players for having a lot of love and nostalgia for those characters. And then you can "blame" the publisher for wanting more content based on characters that are broadly liked because more people will buy that content.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Fans keep lapping up the gen one fan service so TPC keeps catering to them with merch and new charizard forms.

I think it's mostly the more casual fans though. Not the people playing each new entry for hundreds of hours.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'd say publisher. It would have been on the fans if it started happening a lot earlier. Gen 1 nostalgia fandom was in its peak during the GBA/DS eras, when they probably did the least gen 1 pandering. Around the time they started it is when the "gen 1 was actually kinda not good" memes started.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I'm sure they have stats about which gen of Pokemon merch gets bought the most, etc. That's why Lucario became such a huge part of the franchise, too

May 25, 2019
London
Personally, I feel that a lot of the "Gen 1 love" that people have is just nostalgia for when they weren't approaching a thousand different Pokemon. People liked more simplicity, they could memorize each one's type(s) and moves

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Why is it something to blame anyone about? Let people enjoy what they enjoy. The original of something is always going to be the most memorable. I don't have a preference but even after playing them all for the last 20+ years, Gen 1 is still the only game I know most of the Pokemon from and that's because it was at a formative time in my life (early high school).

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not really something to blame anyone for. Maybe Gamefreak for insisting on putting Charizard all over the place, but Gen 1 and its Pokemon are well loved.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
It has more to do with the lifeless/soulless design that the later pokemon games have that make the early gens stand out so much. Couple that with nostalgia and its going to be considered the "best" for a while now. The people that grew up on Gen 1 are 30 year old adults with disposable incomes that want to buy things they have a fondness for.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Gen 1 was when Pokemon was at its height of popularity for mainline games. Gen 1 are still the most recognizable. And more importantly, Gen 1 fans are now adults with paying jobs and telling their kids only fools pick Charizard for their first pokemon

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
It's GameFreak. The hardcore gen 1 fans that need to be pandered to aren't playing the games. Heck half the time they get pissed when GF tries to pander to them, but that doesn't stop Game Freak from continuing to shill out for them over highlighting the generations equally.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
The devs, even non gen 1 pandering games do just fine. It's just easier to blame fans.

Almost all issues with Pokémon games are because the devs don't care to listen to feedback and because fans attack each other to justify their purchase.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a self-fulfilling prophecy by this point.

It's not a blame game, in any case- I don't have any problem with the most popular Pokémon getting attention, I just want them to spread the love a little.

Oct 27, 2017
The devs for pushing Gen 1 Pokemon in prominent roles that keep them popular.

When megas were first out IIRC gen 1 had more of them than gen 6 did! And Mewtwo and Charizard somehow had 2 forms each. And let's not talk about all the Gen 1 pandering in SwSh, from the champion's main pokemon not even being from Galar and the numerous other Gen 1 references

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The devs for not knowing how to balance nostalgia and actually giving the spotlight to new pokemon.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I'm pretty sure TPC has plenty of information collected on merchandising, social media, and more to make its decisions. You always see those things as "Gen 1 Pokemon drawn realistically! Gen 1 Pokemon drawn like Tim Burton's!"

Pokemon like Greninja and Lucario get as much exposure as Gen 1 Pokemon, it's a matter of popularity.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
20-30 Year nostalgia cycle, but the large amount of (unwarranted) online backlash to Gen 5 and the sharp uptick of Gen 1 marketing for Gen 6 onwards has to have SOME kinda correlation to it.

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Look at those poll results. Just look at them

tenor.gif

I genuinely haven't seen a convincing explanation for why fans are responsible.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
There's fundamentals that needed to be addressed and are important regardless of catering to Gen 1 fans or not, like Farfetch'd finally evolving. Taking a historically worthless Pokemon and making it functional is worthwhile no matter what generation the original Pokemon is from.

However things like introducing new baby Pokemon... what's the point? Also the entire Gen 5 being a doppelganger of Gen 1 was also a huge drop by Game Freak. Stop altering similar Pokemon to different regions (Tauros/Buffolount, two worthless Pokemon basically the same in design and premise) and create something more original.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
20-30 Year nostalgia cycle, but the large amount of (unwarranted) online backlash to Gen 5 and the sharp uptick of Gen 1 marketing for Gen 6 onwards has to have SOME kinda correlation to it.
The most core fandom is often quite blind to what happens. Indeed Gen 5 was the Gen with the least sales and a clear cause was that you could only use new Pokémon for the main story, which also have divisive designs at least.

There are people who loved that the focus was only on the new Pokemon but looking at the numbers, it is clear that it was not the majority.

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
ORAS already showed that you can sell a pokemon game without overwhelming gen 1 pandering, considering its the best selling poke remake

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get how players wanting older Pokemon (meaning those from gens 1-4) in Gen 5 was interpreted GF as players as people wanting more of just Gen 1 pokemon

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There's fundamentals that needed to be addressed and are important regardless of catering to Gen 1 fans or not, like Farfetch'd finally evolving. Taking a historically worthless Pokemon and making it functional is worthwhile no matter what generation the original Pokemon is from.

However things like introducing new baby Pokemon... what's the point? Also the entire Gen 5 being a doppelganger of Gen 1 was also a huge drop by Game Freak. Stop altering similar Pokemon to different regions (Tauros/Buffolount, two worthless Pokemon basically the same in design and premise) and create something more original.
Not all Pokémon have to be made for competitive. Baby Pokemon are very cute (merchandising) and usually add extra steps to obtain them and therefore complete the Pokedex.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
first gen is the best gen, so of course they'd lean on the most iconic and best of the best pokemon. i think its everyone elses fault they have terrible taste and enjoy other gens. they need to get a lobotomy.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't think Game Freak would keep doing it unless they weren't seeing a tangible and profitable response.

The argument that most of the fans don't want focus on the OG 151 is just Era bubble nonsense imo. The wider fanbase loves Kanto Pokemon

The OG Farfetch'd is still completely useless though. I really dislike that about regional forms tbh. OG Farfetch'd should have evolved to Sirfetch'd, like with Weezing.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Gen 5 probably selling not super well in comparison to gen 4 scared them: they figured out people relied on nostalgia a lot for the games and they have been scared ever since.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I don't understand why people have a problem with them trying to appeal to what customers find most appealing. I see so much hate for Charizard but they have data to support that Charizard is a fan favorite. It doesn't make sense to give 6 forms to a Pokémon that no one cares about when they can give them to a Pokémon people like and will drive engagement, merchandise sales, etc.
People really take business decisions far too personally. No one is to blame here, it's just how it is and people should really get over it to be frank.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make sense to blame anyone when Gen 1, by its very nature of being the first generation, is best suited to do a lot of the work that the franchise needs

Oct 28, 2017
"Blame" is a weird word. It's all about demand and response.

Theres a reason why Pokemon is still dominated by G1, why Power Rangers merch is covered in Mighty Morphin characters, and why X-Men seems to always reset to the Blue/Yellow 90s outfits every few years.

Going beyond just nostalgia, public mindshare in a franchise will always be loomed over by when that series was at its most culturally relevant.

If anything blame Nintendo/GF for not creating anything that is impactful to the culture as the originals were in 98.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The devs.

Anyone knows a kid who's saying "thanks dad, but no Gen 1, no play"

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
"Blame" is a weird word. It's all about demand and response.

Theres a reason why Pokemon is still dominated by G1, why Power Rangers merch is covered in Mighty Morphin characters, and why X-Men seems to always reset to the Blue/Yellow 90s outfits every few years.

Going beyond just nostalgia, public mindshare in a franchise will always be loomed over by when that series was at its most culturally relevant.

If anything blame Nintendo/GF for not creating anything that is impactful to the culture as the originals were in 98.
Pokemon like Lucario and Greninja are in the highest popularity leagues. Maybe not like Charizard and Pikachu but like Mewtwo or Eevee.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
the backlash plus the drop in sales of Pokemon black and white is probably wise and the huge sales of the gen 1 pandering game afterwards

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
More like who's to thank. Gen 1 will always be a beloved, iconic, cultural juggernaut. Bless Game Freak for Gen 1, they would do well to learn a few lessons from Red and Blue if the flaccid current gen games are anything to go by :)

Deleted member 29857

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Gen 1 is a work of art. It's pure, innocent and perfect. The second best gen is gen 2, because we revisit gen 1.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Anyone knows a kid who's saying "thanks dad, but no Gen 1, no play"
Anecdotally, I gave my cousin one of my old Black/White Pokedex books a few years ago, and he was immediately drawn to Charizard. The kid hadn't had any exposure to Pokemon yet at all, and the book was a pretty plain jane stats and move listing that didn't place any significance on Charizard. And yet there it was lol.

MajinDJX

Nov 5, 2017
Well, we saw this starting since Pokemon X and Y.... I think TPC wants to guarantee a lot of people will buy, cause of their nostalgia, so it's pretty much "to blame" both.
Tbh, I don't have much of a problem with this, but I'm a fan since the beginning hehe But I still buy and play the recent games xD