Deleted member 3924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How dare you question the good name of Natural Harmonia Gropius.

I kinda hate the digital colour filter being used in some of them. They do that in the anime for serious arcs and it always looks like shit. Worst case scenario would be if its similar to Generations in tone, which basically meant being entirely humorless and everyone having an angry expression.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Is this not just a glorified second season to Generations? Odd that they gave it a whole new title again. I haven't seen that yet but I've heard great things about it so I may watch that before this comes out. I enjoyed Origins MUCH more than the main anime and would love a full series in the same vein, but this will have to suffice.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Is this not just a glorified second season to Generations? Odd that they gave it a whole new title again. I haven't seen that yet but I've heard great things about it so I may watch that before this comes out. I enjoyed Origins MUCH more than the main anime and would love a full series in the same vein, but this will have to suffice.

Seems like it. For a short series I think Generations is really good. Go for it, shouldn't take too much time to blast through all the episodes, gives a nice look at hype moments in the series and also some what-if scenarios.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Animation looks good despite the art style looking weird af on Leon, but I gotta say, the music was weeeeak. Like, it didn't sound bad but there just was no energy lol

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
Can they not just keep the dub cast consistent? This is Leon's fourth English voice in the span of two years.

Deleted member 3924

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really made him lighter skinned huh... Why do they sound American in Galar lol
I guess I was right, its a Generations type deal where they're mostly humorless stories played straight with some weird digital filters for dramatic lighting.

Hqdn0LR.jpg

eVH4Nl5.jpg

Why is Charizard like 8 ft tall?

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Can they not just keep the dub cast consistent? This is Leon's fourth English voice in the span of two years.
The Japanese cast is also not consistent (though to be fair it is here haha, the same VA for Leon in the anime did it here, but not in Masters...though he voices Grimsley in Masters). Different people can voice the same character. How many Peter Parkers have there been? :P

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's weird how they keep changing directions. At least in Pokémon Masters all of the Galar characters have English accents (I'm not knowledgeable enough to know wether they're real or not). What happened to consistency TPCi?

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This was fine I guess, I'm pretty much in the Gen 7/5 waiting room.

The artstyle they used for Leon is super weird to me, he looks off and since he was so much of the episode it was distracting lol. Also found it funny how the entire thing just kinda seemed to be about him taking a big L.

Wari Oman

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 2, 2021
Trying to catch a legendary with a freaking pokébal, rookie mistake.

Totally something a champion would do.

Deleted member 3924

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The artstyle they used for Leon is super weird to me, he looks off and since he was so much of the episode it was distracting lol. Also found it funny how the entire thing just kinda seemed to be about him taking a big L.

Ask James Turner, he was the art supervisor on this series. Dude really likes purple colours.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

looks like they went with USUM, unfortunately

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

We knew from the beginning, but to be honest it doesn't matter much for a short like this since it didn't have enough time to show the end of the arc anyways

I like the VA this time, but I gotta say the use of music keeps being pretty weak

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
So confused why they went for USUM over SuMo

The fight between Necrozma and Nebby was cool but you could've still done that Lusamine/Nihilego and Nebby in Ultra Space and could have had it end with Lillie actually winning.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

The fight between Necrozma and Nebby was cool but you could've still done that Lusamine/Nihilego and Nebby in Ultra Space and could have had it end with Lillie actually winning.
Although a bit different, we already had the SM version animated with the normal anime. This gives USUM an animation too

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Although a bit different, we already had the SM version animated with the normal anime. This gives USUM an animation too
I'd say that there's a significant enough difference between the anime and game that choosing to adapt original SuMo is still excusable. Plus, didn't Necrozma also show up in the anime?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the ash cartoon wasn't anything like SM. there's like 3 different versions of Lusamine: SM, USUM, and the cartoon

anyway, this short was fine, but it's suffering the same issue I had with Generations: you need to have played the games for any of it to really click. it's just a "what you saw in your head" while playing the games

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say that there's a significant enough difference between the anime and game that choosing to adapt original SuMo is still excusable. Plus, didn't Necrozma also show up in the anime?
The Necrozma arc was completely different in the anime, while the Nihilego arc while different still had a lot more similarities (takes place at the altar, they go to ultra space and fight Mother Beast with Lillie confronting her). I think it's fair

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
"You don't have the strength to be a Pokémon trainer"
*Lillie proceeds to lift a 1000 kg Pokémon*

Sep 5, 2021
the ash cartoon wasn't anything like SM. there's like 3 different versions of Lusamine: SM, USUM, and the cartoon

anyway, this short was fine, but it's suffering the same issue I had with Generations: you need to have played the games for any of it to really click. it's just a "what you saw in your head" while playing the games

Don't forget the manga version:

SIERWVdmPk9NjmuCUDdLom0KGKH-b6jL7lL8yBcYBMvTG0bOZ-XgAUIrZX5869gm0Tx9iqivw5jjmDk=w700

1IHM11Q0Do6Jm-eTg0b1QXHD2W9NZ0ctODR-QL1zR4cS8j1Xk6X7EJQwzT1rt0noRdftrVkRqokwSwE=w700
0Nzm5nLYjKhaivB__ovQA5bml1a1E-cMz70hFDhU8v6KWhgMn57X8tBpre9hrEUDAePRUx-1D5H0dUw=w700

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017

- YouTube

It's very frustrating how much nearly everything after the initial Sun and Moon release seems to be trying to make Lusamine less of a villain. Even the main anime, which generally followed the original version of the plot, had Faba firmly grasping the villain ball up until the moment the ultra wormhole opened.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
They usually cover the games plot in a few episodes in the tv series because there's really not much going on there. "proper and closed storyline" just sounds pretentious. The games have always been about moment to moment encounters, not a constant story (Sun and Moon games sort of tried this and it sucked).

Honestly the tone of the tv series more closely matches the original games whimsical, weird comedy vibes than the shorts ever have and only improved a lot over the last few seasons. The shorts have some great animation but that's not at all viable for a longer show. Serious pokemon is such a fucking downer really.
Read the Pokemon Adventures manga. It's really good and it's a proper arc from game to game.

Sep 5, 2021

- YouTube

It's very frustrating how much nearly everything after the initial Sun and Moon release seems to be trying to make Lusamine less of a villain. Even the main anime, which generally followed the original version of the plot, had Faba firmly grasping the villain ball up until the moment the ultra wormhole opened.

Actually they fused the storyline of SM and USUM with Lusamine, some Lusamine's lines on Lillie from the Aether Paradise flashback and her attitude towards Lillie was from SM.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually they fused the storyline of SM and USUM with Lusamine, some Lusamine's lines on Lillie from the Aether Paradise flashback and her attitude towards Lillie was from SM.
the only way to really have both, I think, is if you have the necrozma arc take place after SM. then you can have your cake and eat it without the awkardness of trying to change Lusamine's character prior to the end of SM's story

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
the only way to really have both, I think, is if you have the necrozma arc take place after SM. then you can have your cake and eat it without the awkardness of trying to change Lusamine's character prior to the end of SM's story
Yeah that's sort of what the main Sun and Moon anime did, but it still messed with Lusamine's character anyway and the adaptation of the Necrozma plot was far looser (they kind of fused it with the Looker plot from Sun and Moon).

Aaron

Dreamcast Political Party
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The credits make it look like they're using the composer from the TV series dub. Make of that what you will.
Yeah and the replacement score is honestly pretty terrible.

I'd say it's a lot better here since they're letting Goldfarb remix music from the games and use some silent moments (it's nonstop in the TV series and can be super distracting/mood killing), but I generally agree even his best music lacks the kind of oomph that most Pokémon soundtracks have.

I'll be more interested to hear the OST for the later episodes since most of my soundtrack familiarity with Pokémon is from the earlier generations, and I want to hear his take on them.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
These shorts are convincing me to never rewatch Generations, so I don't hurt my memory of it by finding out it doesn't hold up.

I already wasn't as enamored by Twilight Wings as others, and this series is really highlighting how these OVAs are really hurt by being not given enough runtime and not having any substance if you don't already intimately remember the details of the game events to give any context.

It's so annoying how with all the web anime they finally get the story, characters and tone of Pokemon correct with a good art style but then make them so short as to mess it up.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These shorts are convincing me to never rewatch Generations, so I don't hurt my memory of it by finding out it doesn't hold up.

I already wasn't as enamored by Twilight Wings as others, and this series is really highlighting how these OVAs are really hurt by being not given enough runtime and not having any substance if you don't already intimately remember the details of the game events to give any context.

It's so annoying how with all the web anime they finally get the story, characters and tone of Pokemon correct with a good art style but then make them so short as to mess it up.
Twilight Wings doesn't have the same issues as Generations and this. it works well as a prequel if you played the games, and really does a lot to flesh out the characters, even if you haven't played the games

Deleted member 3924

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how its the "correct" tone at all. Its played as serious as possible. Its so devoid of colour and whimsy, just depressing.
Like yea the stories are overly melodramatic, but such a small part of the games which still don't go for horror anime colour grading and characters screaming.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
The constrained runtime really hurts in my opinion.

I hated Sword/Shield and Sun/Moon so I'm happy we have these two episodes behind us. They were okay. But end too abruptly.