Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
About to replay Heavy Rain again and it got me thinking. Ethan's blackouts just get straight up dropped from the story half way through, we never do find out what happened during those missing chunks of time, some of them last several hours.

Even though it is a fairly obvious red herring to make us think Ethan is the killer, it still bugs the hell out of me that a major plot thread would be so casually discarded like that without mention ever again that deep into the story. There are any number of ways that Quantic Dream could have addressed this while still keeping the overall plot intact and still keeping Ethan as the main protagonist and Scott as the killer. But the fact that they didn't and left such a huge plot hole in the final version of the story has always bugged me.

I want to hear about more plot holes in games, so we can discuss them. So drop them in this thread here, ERA.

Last edited:

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
I think it was cut content, because Ethan was supposed to have supernatural dreams / nightmares or something like that.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I think it was cut content, because Ethan was supposed to have supernatural dreams / nightmares or something like that.

In general, a ton of what gamers think are "dropped plot threads" or "plot holes" are a result of cut content. So much stuff gets last second cut for gameplay purposes, and there's not really a way to fix the story easily.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Ethan and the killers 'souls' were tied together following the events that lead to one of his sons dying, and the killer witnessing a father trying to save his child

so when the killer had strong emotions/kidnapped/whatever, Ethan would black out and head to that construction site (which was important to the killer)

it's for the best it was cut

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
FFXV story is a plot hole in itself

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Final Fantasy VII have a bit of them, starting with:
The ability to resurrect dead party members with Phoenix Down, but NOT if the plot requires them to stay dead...

Coming to

The heroes running to remove a Huge Materia from the head of a missile being launched to destroy Meteor... only to get desperate when said missile is not able to destroy the meteor...

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
The ability to resurrect dead party members with Phoenix Down, but NOT if the plot requires them to stay dead...

That's not really a plot hole though. It's more the story bending the rules of the gameplay.

Like, if there was a movie of it, I don't think Barret would die in every fight scene before getting revived afterwards with a Phoenix Down.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Twilight Princess has Zelda basically sacrificing her life force to save Midna. So, Zelda vanishes and we presume she's dead. Sure.

Then like 15 hours later she's somehow just held captive by Ganondorf with literally zero explanation.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
So the 3rd Birthday is a game of unstable timelines and time loops and body swaps that make absolutely no sense. The catalyst behind all of this bullshitery is a wedding where a SWAT team swarms in and opens fire. But it's never explained why a SWAT team wants to kill everyone at a wedding. It's just handwaved by the plot, like a totally normal occurrence.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix down doesn't bring back the dead, party members in FF who have fallen are canonically KO'd, not killed. Phoenix down revives, it doesn't resurrect.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
After playing Twilight Princess, you will slowly realize that there was no point in the goblins abducting the children in the beginning of the game. They raid the fairy fountain, abduct the children, bring them to Kakariko and release them, then raid Kakariko to recapture one of the children who gets rescued by Link again. There was no explanation or point to it in the story whatsoever.

JoDa

Jan 12, 2018
Phoenix down heals the KO status effect, not literal dead, which then changes the plot hole to how can a stab wound kill you while literal explosions just knock you down?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I think Final Fantasy XV is explained well enough, but the part that makes me angry is when the woman who looks like Hillary Clinton is totally OK with Noctis destroying her city in order to awaken its guardian deity. You'd think it would take more convincing than a few conversation checks.

Mar 30, 2019
So the 3rd Birthday is a game of unstable timelines and time loops and body swaps that make absolutely no sense. The catalyst behind all of this bullshitery is a wedding where a SWAT team swarms in and opens fire. But it's never explained why a SWAT team wants to kill everyone at a wedding. It's just handwaved by the plot, like a totally normal occurrence.
Maybe that was their "something blue".

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Ethan and the killers 'souls' were tied together following the events that lead to one of his sons dying, and the killer witnessing a father trying to save his child

so when the killer had strong emotions/kidnapped/whatever, Ethan would black out and head to that construction site (which was important to the killer)

it's for the best it was cut

An interesting theory but I agree probably best it was cut as Heavy Rain was fairly grounded and realistic.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
After playing Twilight Princess, you will slowly realize that there was no point in the goblins abducting the children in the beginning of the game. They raid the fairy fountain, abduct the children, bring them to Kakariko and release them, then raid Kakariko to recapture one of the children who gets rescued by Link again. There was no explanation or point to it in the story whatsoever.

Yeah Twilight Princess had some major plotholes. The entire plot really made little sense, yet people praise the game for its story. I'll never understand it.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Death Stranding

Light spoilers

Amelie: "Come find me on the beach"

Not that Sam has any means to get there, I don't know why he agreed to the mission knowing that, especially considering he didn't want to go.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About to replay Heavy Rain again and it got me thinking. Ethan's blackouts just get straight up dropped from the story half way through, we never do find out what happened during those missing chunks of tim, some of them last several hours.

Even though it is a fairly obvious red herring to make us think Ethan is the killer, it still bugs the hell out of me that a major plot thread would be scadually discarded like that without mention ever again that deep into the story. There are any number of ways that Quantic Dream could have addressed this while still keeping the overall plot intact and still keeping Ethan as the main protagonist and Scott as the killer. But the fact that they didn't and left such a huge plot hole in the final version of the story has always bugged me.

I want to hear about more plot holes in games, so we can discuss them. So drop them in this thread here, ERA.

Yeah, that's not a plot hole.

Yeah Twilight Princess had some major plotholes. The entire plot really made little sense, yet people praise the game for its story. I'll never understand it.
I'd say the bar is not especially high for a Zelda game to begin with. And even if the story falls apart rather quick, the single pieces are quite interesting. TP features some great characters and moments.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I am glad they did that. I enjoyed Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy but the sudden tonal shift into the supernatural was really jarring in that game.
looking at Fahrenheit and Beyond: Two Souls, even with the plot hole, Heavy Rain pulls it off the illusion super well

i feel like the supernatural stuff would've just muddied the waters, especially since they already had the weird AI/AR addiction stuff on the side

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the bar is not especially high for a Zelda game to begin with. And even if the story falls apart rather quick, the single pieces are quite interesting. TP features some great characters and moments.

Most Zelda games have very simple stories. Simple doesn't mean bad. A complicated story that falls apart very, very quickly and easily is a lot worse than a very simple story that is at least coherent.

GameBuddy

Oct 27, 2017
Hellabama
Twilight Princess has Zelda basically sacrificing her life force to save Midna. So, Zelda vanishes and we presume she's dead. Sure.

Then like 15 hours later she's somehow just held captive by Ganondorf with literally zero explanation.
Zelda explains that when Zant attacked the castle and plunged it into Twilight that every person but her lost their physical form and turned into a spirit. Later, when Midna is dying, she reveals that the power of the Triforce is what turned Link into a wolf instead of him losing physical form. She says she's been granted "special powers by the goddesses" too and shows her triforce. She gives up that power to heal Midna when she realizes Midna is the Twilight Queen, loses her physical form, and her spirit is captured and manipulated by Zant/Ganon.

There's some inference and it takes place over the course of dozens of hours of gameplay, but it's there.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Ganon is a sadistic fucker and just ordered his moblins to kidnap children for fun. I OoT he froze the zora lake for fun and fed gorons to a dragon. They just enjoy being dicks.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda explains that when Zant attacked the castle and plunged it into Twilight that every person but her lost their physical form and turned into a spirit. Later, when Midna is dying, she reveals that the power of the Triforce is what turned Link into a wolf instead of him losing physical form. She says she's been granted "special powers by the goddesses" too and shows her triforce. She gives up that power to heal Midna when she realizes Midna is the Twilight Queen, loses her physical form, and her spirit is captured and manipulated by Zant/Ganon.

There's some inference and it takes place over the course of dozens of hours of gameplay, but it's there.

The issue with that is that Link is supposedly able to see those spirits in the Twilight, right? Zelda doesn't just lose her physical form and become a spirit, she just vanishes completely. The way Midna reacts is clearly supposed to make you think Zelda gave up her life or spirit or whatever to save her.

And then on top of her simply vanishing like that, we're given absolutely no explanation of how Zant/Ganon captures her. In fact, why exactly was she just able to hang out in her room in the castle at the beginning anyway, if Zant/Ganon wanted to capture her?

We can obviously try and make sense of these things by offering up potential in-universe theories but her sacrificing herself for Midna is a crucial plot point that's basically completely ignored by the end of the game for no obvious reason. It's as if the developers thought that would make for a good story (Zelda dying to save Midna) but basically chickened out at the end and assumed you, as the player, would have forgotten it happened.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

Coming to

The heroes running to remove a Huge Materia from the head of a missile being launched to destroy Meteor... only to get desperate when said missile is not able to destroy the meteor...
Phoenix down ressurrect Ko characters and the second isn't a plot hole, the characters have compex feelings about Shinra because even though thier plan to destroy meteor might be well intentioned, this was an evil company that is hard to trust with essentially a nuclear weapon. In the end and in the vacuum of space, the urgency gets to them and and Cid who feels vulnerable, the player gets a futile choice to not take the huge materia and let the rocket go into the meteor.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding

Light spoilers

Amelie: "Come find me on the beach"

Not that Sam has any means to get there, I don't know why he agreed to the mission knowing that, especially considering he didn't want to go.
Well he visited the beach many times before so he probably thought if he came to amelie she will somehow get him there, but in the end he only came because of the lie that she was in "danger"

Nah, they say
timefall stops being weird once it hits the ground. So rain hits rubble then turns to water then drips I to mouth.
This, and also the fact
she kinda died that moment and was kept "alive" as a walking corpse by her connection to the baby, so I think timefall wouldn't have an affect? (her corpse didn't decompose either because of some weird explanations, that entire part was pretty iffy)

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I guess Ganon is a sadistic fucker and just ordered his moblins to kidnap children for fun. I OoT he froze the zora lake for fun and fed gorons to a dragon. They just enjoy being dicks.
Ganondorf did not command the goblins though, Zant did. Also, Colin states that the beasts took them and left them to die. Why? What was their goal? Staging a risky attack in order to abduct some children, carry them elsewhere and then "leaving them to die" after going through all the trouble and once they return to Kakariko, they just fetch one of the kids all over again? What the hell is their deal? Compared to that, Ganondorf was highly reasonable in OoT, because both the Zora and the Gorons were possible threats to his reign if they were to join forces and had strong leaders who opposed him to look up to, so taking them out of the equation after conquering Hyrule seems like a logical thing to do.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Ganondorf did not command the goblins though, Zant did. Also, Colin states that the beasts took them and left them to die. Why? What was their goal? Staging a risky attack in order to abduct some children, carry them elsewhere and the "leaving them to die" after going through all the trouble and once they return to Kakariko, they just fetch one of the kids all over again? What the hell is their deal? Compared to that, Ganondorf was highly reasonable in OoT, because both the Zora and the Gorons were possible threats to his reign if they were to join forces and had strong leaders who opposed him to look up to, so taking them out of the equation after conquering Hyrule seems like a logical thing to do.
Zant is challenging Ganon spirit, who is titled The King of Evil which sums up his motivation. The goblin leader is also in Ganon's stolen castle at the end. Ganon who orders them just enjoys being a dick. He poisons the Deku Tree for no reason, he's a dick. He's not reasonable. He becomes King of Hyrule then destroys the kingdom, so what's the point?