Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
And which would you recommend? No mic needed.

I thought of getting the Starfield headset with rewards points but I'm not sure it supports proper surround sound (I guess it's only stereo) plus it doesn't seem like it would work with ps5.

Also, I don't know if true surround is really worth it, honestly. I have only played games with my earbuds for music occasionally, as to not do much noise, etc. I'd prefer a headset that doesn't make much noise outwards but lets me hear things in my irl environment.

If you want to share links, I'm based on Spain.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
Are you looking for a wireless headphone? Because I think most of those work with either PlayStation or Xbox, but not both. If you're fine using the 3.5mm jack on the controller, you might have more choice with options.

Oct 29, 2017
To start:

True surround is 100% worth it. I have a 5.1.2 Soundbar system with real wireless rears and sub, for a dedicated 5.1 setup for games (Which the new PS5 firmware now allows me to use my heights). I'm moving next month and not so secretly hoping my soundbar breaks in transit so I can upgrade to a 7.1.4 or even an 11.1.4 bar instead.

Second: both PS5 and Xbox One have their own internal surround for headphones systems. PS5's is the Tempest Engine, and it will prompt you to choose from 5 pre-sets to see what sounds best. The Xbox One has Microsoft Sonic (Free), Dolby Atmos For Headphones ($20), and DTS:X For Headphones ($20), which turns *any* stereo pair of headphones into surround headphones by using binaural mixdown tech. You can find some gaming headsets that come bundled with a code for Dolby Atmos for Headphones… but really I'd say just seek out a good pair of stereo headphones. If you want to use the built in controller/camera mike for your console… I'd recommend Sony MDR-V6's, studio monitor calibrated headphones

zerosnake99

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
If you are using headphones, get a good stereo system. Surround headsets are lame with weak drivers. I don't know about the Xbox (it looks like someone else commented on it. I'm sure they know better) but ps5 has a built-in system to translate that audio into 3D space. That's done using binaural audio. It works extremely well and is apparent on games like Returnal, Astros, playroom and more.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
71rkDdELEZL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Arctis 7X

It's technically an Xbox Headset, but it also works with PS5, Switch and PC. Plus it's wireless. I use both Dolby on Xbox and PS5s 3D audio (when supported) and they both sound great.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Arctis 7X
It's technically an Xbox Headset, but it also works with PS5, Switch and PC. Plus it's wireless. I use both Dolby on Xbox and PS5s 3D audio (when supported) and they both sound great.

This.

Have had mine since around the console launches in 2020 and still have zero complaints.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Can't go wrong with a decent set of stereo headphones, every surround sound set I have tried sound mid to shit in comparison.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I just use this and connect to the controller.

PHILIPS Fidelio X2HR Over The Ear Open Back Wired Headphone 50mm Drivers- Black Professional Studio Monitor Headphones with Detachable Cable https://a.co/d/bndblI3

You can attach a boom mic.

Someone tell me if I'm (and OP) is missing out on something significantly better here for the money.

Edit: it's around $150 though so not exactly "cheap" but also not sure of you're price range

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Here is the EPOS (used to be Sennheiser) H6Pro + GSX 300 wired option that comes with a mixamp for added power, simple USB connection so it will be compatible with both:

Amazon Spain

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I highly recommend the following either the Arctic Nova 1X (wired) or the Xbox version of the Arctic 7X (wireless) and works with both systems. I used both of those for some time and I was happy with them.

I recently picked up the Arctis Nova Pro (Xbox version) a few months ago and it's one of my favorite headsets so far. Specially since they're connected to both the Xbox Series X and the PS5 at the same time. It will automatically connect to the system I'm using at the time and has swappable batteries so you never have to worry about plugging it in if you forgot to charge them. I picked it up on a sale since they're a bit pricey.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil

Arctis 7X

Wish I knew about this one earlier this year. Got a Sony Inzone H9 and it isn't great.

edit: that transmitter design is really stupid.

Lizard Wizard

Oct 25, 2017
I recently got the Epos PC38X Wired headphones and i really like them. They got a bunch of good reviews from youtube headphone people. I got them on sale for $130 from Drop, not sure I they ship in Europe. When I was doing research, it seems like the Arctis 7X is the go to if you want wireless and cross compatibility.

I do wonder if plugging headphones into the controller port is a sup-par audio experience compared to plugging into the TV/receiver. I remember in a Last of Us Part 2 thread people were complaining about controller audio. I tried testing controller vs TV audio out on the PC38X and I could not tell a difference...but I don't have a great ear for what makes headphones sound better.

OP
OP
Adryuu

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Are you looking for a wireless headphone? Because I think most of those work with either PlayStation or Xbox, but not both. If you're fine using the 3.5mm jack on the controller, you might have more choice with options.

Wired or wireless and what kind of budget?

Oh forgot about mentioning that. Don't do most wired headsets directly to the controllers have audio cuts and such issues? I've suffered from that sometimes with my earbuds.
Wireless would be optimal but if it reduces compatibility options drastically then maybe it's not such a good idea then.

To start:

True surround is 100% worth it. I have a 5.1.2 Soundbar system with real wireless rears and sub, for a dedicated 5.1 setup for games (Which the new PS5 firmware now allows me to use my heights). I'm moving next month and not so secretly hoping my soundbar breaks in transit so I can upgrade to a 7.1.4 or even an 11.1.4 bar instead.

Second: both PS5 and Xbox One have their own internal surround for headphones systems. PS5's is the Tempest Engine, and it will prompt you to choose from 5 pre-sets to see what sounds best. The Xbox One has Microsoft Sonic (Free), Dolby Atmos For Headphones ($20), and DTS:X For Headphones ($20), which turns *any* stereo pair of headphones into surround headphones by using binaural mixdown tech. You can find some gaming headsets that come bundled with a code for Dolby Atmos for Headphones… but really I'd say just seek out a good pair of stereo headphones. If you want to use the built in controller/camera mike for your console… I'd recommend Sony MDR-V6's, studio monitor calibrated headphones

Are you referring to general surround sound in your first point (like, home cinema systems, sound bars, etc) or specifically surround headsets? Because I'm asking only about headphone audio. No plans to get a sound system for the home, quite the contrary, a personal sound system mainly for games (I've got some RHA earplugs for music but I tend to just use my PC speakers).

I guess your second point refers to this:

If you are using headphones, get a good stereo system. Surround headsets are lame with weak drivers. I don't know about the Xbox (it looks like someone else commented on it. I'm sure they know better) but ps5 has a built-in system to translate that audio into 3D space. That's done using binaural audio. It works extremely well and is apparent on games like Returnal, Astros, playroom and more.

That may be an option too if cheap 7.1 headphones are much worse in terms of audio quality than just stereo equipment. That was my question about "true surround headsets". I guess that your opinion is that it's not worth it. Good to know.

The base Steel Series Nova 1 x is what I use, really good sound for £60 (assume it's available in EU as well). It's wired so works with PS5 and Series x.

steelseries.com

Arctis Nova 1X | Lightweight Gaming Headset for Xbox with Almighty Audio

The Arctis Nova 1X offers superb audio with the Nova Acoustic System, ultra lightweight ComfortMAX System, and a universal 3.5mm jack.

That's a good price, I'll look for and investigate these if they're available in shops here.

Arctis 7X

Oh, wireless with compatibility is more interesting. Bluetooth?

This one seems really popular in this thread and so far I think it's the only one wireless that works on every system (maybe I'll get a switch or deck sometime in the future) so that's good.

Dreading when I see the price, lol.

Can't go wrong with a decent set of stereo headphones, every surround sound set I have tried sound mid to shit in comparison.

Nice to know!

I just use this and connect to the controller.

PHILIPS Fidelio X2HR Over The Ear Open Back Wired Headphone 50mm Drivers- Black Professional Studio Monitor Headphones with Detachable Cable https://a.co/d/bndblI3

You can attach a boom mic.

Someone tell me if I'm (and OP) is missing out on something significantly better here for the money.

Edit: it's around $150 though so not exactly "cheap" but also not sure of you're price range

That price range is about max of the budget I was thinking of spending in this, yeah. May go higher of necessary but not for wired. Cords to controller is not my favourite thing though but I'll keep this one in mind if sound quality is an upgrade.

Thanks everyone so far!

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Oh forgot about mentioning that. Don't do most wired headsets directly to the controllers have audio cuts and such issues? I've suffered from that sometimes with my earbuds.
Wireless would be optimal but if it reduces compatibility options drastically then maybe it's not such a good idea then.
Of course if you need the flexibility of wireless then that is a different discussion. The headset I recommended comes with a mixamp that powers it and runs the audio through USB instead of the controller. I have been using a similar setup to this with the PC37X model since 2016 or so and have been very satisfied.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
"Surround" headphones are a scam. Get good quality stereo headphones. The consoles have virtualization if you want better directional audio for the trade-off that it fucks with audio quality.

The Shure SRH440 and Sony MDR-7506 are solid closed back affordable headphones. I don't know their availability in Europe though.

If you need something wireless that is cheap then the Steelseries Arctis Nova 7 are okay.,

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Don't ever wire into the controller, the sound quality will take a huge hit. I just use a long headphone cable into my amp or my LG which is surprisingly good at driving headphones.

I have Sennheiser 598's, original Philips X2's and Sony XM5's and they're all great for gaming.

I bought the Sony Pulse headset thing, the one that came out with the PS5 but I find them cheap and nasty feeling when wearing them and the sound quality average at best. Wireless is nice though if I've ever remembered to charge them.

BrickArts295

Oct 26, 2017

This one seems really popular in this thread and so far I think it's the only one wireless that works on every system (maybe I'll get a switch or deck sometime in the future) so that's good.

!
These used to be hard to find back in 2020-2021. I remember I got them at $150 but it looks like it's $200 now.
No Bluetooth but it uses a USB C dongle, so you could also connect them to a phone (even iPhone now!).

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017

Arctis 7X

Yep, I bought these a year or two ago because they worked with everything. I kinda have a big head though, so the floating strap thing or whatever isn't really something that does me much good. LOL I've gotten quite lazy too and just use my Koss PortaPros plugged into my controllers and whatnot. Good enough!

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Anyone compare the arctis 7x and the nova 7x? Is it a noticeable improvement?

Don't ever wire into the controller, the sound quality will take a huge hit. I just use a long headphone cable into my amp or my LG which is surprisingly good at driving headphones.

Seems like plugging into your controller is the recommended option. Plus I think to enable atmos for headphones you have to have either a wireless connection from console or be plugged into the controller. Plugging into your tv will push atmos for speakers which still has its own issues until Microsoft updates its.

OP
OP
Adryuu

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
So this is confusing. The Arctis headset exists in several varieties: 7, 7X, Nova 7, 7+, 7X+... what the fuck.

This one "7X" doesn't mention Playstation as do the others:
steelseries.com

Arctis 7X Wireless Gaming Headset for Xbox

The SteelSeries Arctis 7X wireless gaming headset for Xbox is designed for Xbox Series X|S with backwards compatibility for Xbox One and has long-lasting 24 hour battery life.

It's a bit on sale now (12% only) and almost every model is 200€. So what are the differences? Is not the latest one best? I don't even know if Nova 7X or 7X+ is the newest but it seems it's one of those two.

It's a bit pricier than what I was anticipating. Is it totally closed off from outside noises? Because I'd prefer to be in touch with the real world on the sides.
How is it for music in an audiophile setting (for that price...)? Movies?

trajon

Dec 5, 2017

Arctis 7X

I have 2 of these and I'm likely a steelseries lifer now tbh. OP they are not Bluetooth, they actually have a USB-C dongle (which comes with USB-A attachment iirc). My brother has the 9X which is the next step up and if I remember right, it does have Bluetooth though.

So this is confusing. The Arctis headset exists in several varieties: 7, 7X, Nova 7, 7+, 7X+... what the fuck.

steelseries.com

The SteelSeries Arctis 7X wireless gaming headset for Xbox is designed for Xbox Series X|S with backwards compatibility for Xbox One and has long-lasting 24 hour battery life.

It's a bit on sale now (12% only) and almost every model is 200€. So what are the differences? Is not the latest one best? I don't even know if Nova 7X or 7X+ is the newest but it seems it's one of those two.

It's a bit pricier than what I was anticipating. Is it totally closed off from outside noises? Because I'd prefer to be in touch with the real world on the sides.

Steelseries is garbage at naming their products, that is 1000% percent certain. The link you provided is the correct one for what I have anyways and does work with PlayStation, they just don't advertise it because the "X" in the name is for Xbox. There is actually an Arctis 7P too which was the PlayStation version but does NOT work with Xbox/PC.

I'm not an audiophile so I can't confidently give you thoughts there, but the 3D audio in games does impress me regularly. They're not technically noise cancelling, but my wife often does have to tap me on the shoulder if she needs my attention when I'm wearing them.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Seems like plugging into your controller is the recommended option. Plus I think to enable atmos for headphones you have to have either a wireless connection from console or be plugged into the controller. Plugging into your tv will push atmos for speakers which still has its own issues until Microsoft updates its.

Always sounds worse to me.

BrickArts295

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, I bought these a year or two ago because they worked with everything. I kinda have a big head though, so the floating strap thing or whatever isn't really something that does me much good. LOL I've gotten quite lazy too and just use my Koss PortaPros plugged into my controllers and whatnot. Good enough!
Yeah that strap and ear cups can sometimes cause a little pain after an hour or 2. Moving them around solves it for me.

steelseries.com

So yeah the names are bad lol
7X is meant to be an Xbox branded headphone but for some reason the dongle which has an Xbox mode and a USB mode has the ability to work on PS5, Switch, Phones and PC when set to USB mode.
I don't think they have noise cancelling but to be honest I raise the volume pretty high and I don't really hear anything surrounding me unless it's a car alarm or someone screaming from the other room.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Another vote for the 7x. Nice and comfortable and they changed the charger port to USB-C on the latest model. Can use it on any console or computer.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
Philips SHP9500 or SHP9600 and add a V-MODA Boom mic if you need it.

Also SHP9600MB is worth a look.

Wired, Open back and easy driven through a controller.

Headset goes on sale for around $40-50.

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, 7x is great. You can get better by spending more of course, but at the price, it's just perfect.

OP
OP
Adryuu

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, all sounds good except there 7X being completely closed. Open at the back would probably be best for me, for the instances I'm planning to use them.

I'd be interested in learning if newer models are better in any way (or at least not worse in case I take my time investigating other options and this one goes out of stock) and if there's any Steelseries with comparable quality and compatibility but with a more open design (surely more brands do this dongle approach?)

If I want to be isolated and I'm leaving the true surround idea behind, thanks to the comments here, I can just use my in-ears. At least for some time. If I make the jump to headset it's probably better to have ones that don't isolate that much and are audiophile oriented too for music and movies. But that may just be even more expensive.

I'll look at other recommendations in the thread, too. Maybe there's something. Thanks to everyone, good work, keep it coming.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Ok, all sounds good except there 7X being completely closed. Open at the back would probably be best for me, for the instances I'm planning to use them.

I'd be interested in learning if newer models are better in any way (or at least not worse in case I take my time investigating other options and this one goes out of stock) and if there's any Steelseries with comparable quality and compatibility but with a more open design (surely more brands do this dongle approach?)

If I want to be isolated and I'm leaving the true surround idea behind, thanks to the comments here, I can just use my in-ears. At least for some time. If I make the jump to headset it's probably better to have ones that don't isolate that much and are audiophile oriented too for music and movies. But that may just be even more expensive.

I'll look at other recommendations in the thread, too. Maybe there's something. Thanks to everyone, good work, keep it coming.
If you are looking for something open back to not be closed off from outside sounds:

Sennheiser GSP 500

EPOS GSX 300

zerosnake99

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
Interesting, gonna look up more info about these ones even though I already got a few headsets lol.
Steelseries / Arctis has given me such a bad taste in my mouth.

They were the best and worst gaming oriented headphones I used. I had the ~350 USD arctis pro wireless. Amazing features, connectivity, range. But the SINGULAR hinges are PLASTIC that disintegrate over time. Even their "nova" model that replaces the arctis pro is only reinforced with slightly more plastic. FFS. It's a 350 set and they cant use metal on one of the most integral parts of the fucking thing??? I'm so mad.

OP
OP
Adryuu

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
While I've been undecided regarding this topic they've gone and put up a flash sale in which (not) every headset benefits from a 20% discount on their site.
Well, you guessed right, the 7X doesn't get discounted. It was already discounted, and still is, but only to 176€ while now with the flash sale every other headset that usually goes for 200 is now 160€ so if there's a better option than the plain 7X, with better sound and/or characteristics, while retaining the high compatibility of its dongle, now seems like a good time to actually decide.

But I don't understand their horribly naming pattern.

And more importantly, are these actually good also for general use? Music, films, etc. Actually listening, rather than playing games online and using the mic, which is what I WON'T be doing with them.

Is it actually better to go for non gaming headsets in my case? I don't care about the mic, I just want wireless connection and compatibility with the best sound quality my budget can get.

Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Arctis 7X

Yep, these are what I have. Works with my X (obviously) but also PS5. I might have hooked them up to my Switch in the past a well? Anyways, highly recommended, OP.