Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Treyarch's CoD's have some of its most popular multiplayer modes and they're very violent. They even added dismemberment into MW's multiplayer in a patch earlier this year.
Yeah, I don't have strong feelings on it either way. Just something I was thinking about. I know violence isn't anything new in popular games, but ND has created a level of fidelity few others match. And when they discuss violence in TLoU it's generally justified as being important to the narrative and meant to make players uncomfortable. They go out of their way in interviews / press to address the violence in this way (hell, the theme of PII is the cycle of violence). That said, idk that those same arguments hold as much weight for mp. In factions, while there are the similarities of setting and to a lesser extent themes, it's pretty far removed from having any kind of narrative weight. Again, this doesn't bother me personally, but it does make me wonder how ND would answer the question if someone did ask them about mp specifically. Because in factions the gore and violence is more similar to executions in something like For Honor (rewards, basically) than how they talk about violence for the sake of narrative. Again, I'm not criticising, just thinking out loud about how ND has addressed these topics. (Actually I don't recall ever seeing them talk violence in mp)

But I was probably wrong about violence limiting its potential popularity. There certainly are a lot of gory games. And few games ever reach Fortnite / Minecraft saturation even if they aren't violent. GTA kinda dunks on my original statement too, now that I think about it lol.

poklane

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
yeah about Predator....
I'm not some graphics whore who needs all my games to have top of the art graphics, but this game....
FondFrankBlackandtancoonhound-small.gif

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't have strong feelings on it either way. Just something I was thinking about. I know violence isn't anything new in popular games, but ND has created a level of fidelity few others match. And when they discuss violence in TLoU it's generally justified as being important to the narrative and meant to make players uncomfortable. They go out of their way in interviews / press to address the violence in this way (hell, the theme of PII is the cycle of violence). That said, idk that those same arguments hold as much weight for mp. In factions, while there are the similarities of setting and to a lesser extent themes, it's pretty far removed from having any kind of narrative weight. Again, this doesn't bother me personally, but it does make me wonder how ND would answer the question if someone did ask them about mp specifically. Because in factions the gore and violence is more similar to executions in something like For Honor (rewards, basically) than how they talk about violence for the sake of narrative. Again, I'm not criticising, just thinking out loud about how ND has addressed these topics. (Actually I don't recall ever seeing them talk violence in mp)

But I was probably wrong about violence limiting its potential popularity. There certainly are a lot of gory games. And few games ever reach Fortnite / Minecraft saturation even if they aren't violent. GTA kinda dunks on my original statement too, now that I think about it lol.

It's also entirely possible that the multiplayer that ND are working on isn't going to be as violent as Part II. Since it's not actually being shipped with Part II that should allow it to be much more of a separate product. But in the end, it's multiplayer where the end goal is killing for the sake of killing. Gore or no gore, I don't know how you attempt to add meaning to it as they're trying to with the campaign.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017

Well,multiplayer will be a standalone game,so they don't need to address nothing,and I think violence will not limit the popularity.

Buzzkiller_20

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Downloading the Predator demo now. Can't wait to jump in 5 hours from now. Assuming my internet doesn't crap out that is.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
With all these Playstation veterans seemingly leaving the company. My thought immediately went to Shu, gonna suck when he one day leaves. He's the best.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Downloading the Predator demo now. Can't wait to jump in 5 hours from now. Assuming my internet doesn't crap out that is.
Tell me later how you liked it. Hearing some say it's fun and some say it's meh.
With all these Playstation veterans seemingly leaving the company. My thought immediately went to Shu, gonna suck when he one day leaves. He's the best.
Yeah, it's gonna be sad. Pretty sure he will retire during next-gen. He almost retired a few years ago. Only his excitement for PSVR made him change his mind.

Buzzkiller_20

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Tell me later how you liked it. Hearing some say it's fun and some say it's meh.
Will do. I liked their previous game, Friday the 13th a lot, so I feel like I'll probably like this one as well.

On a side note, if y'all haven't played Smite, you should. It's really fun and it's free-to-play. Doesn't get better than that.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Another publisher has 1 good day = "SIE leadership is a Joke...bla bla bla" for like 10 pages in this thread.

SIE leads the way in keeping their employees safe AND fed during a global crisis = . . . .

SIE has handled this crisis like absolute champs, even when people were calling them over protective for pulling out of huge events before anyone else.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Another publisher has 1 good day = "SIE leadership is a Joke...bla bla bla" for like 10 pages in this thread.

SIE leads the way in keeping their employees safe AND fed during a global crisis = . . . .

SIE has handled this crisis like absolute champs, even when people were calling them over protective for pulling out of huge events before anyone else.

Some of the comments in threads where Sony was pulling out to protect their employees was just the worst. People were pointing out that at the time there weren't any cases in Boston when they canceled their PAX appearance. Afterwards we learned that there was a Biogen conference going on at the same time as PAX in Boston. A bunch of people there contracted it and for some time the majority of cases in Massachusetts was linked to that conference.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of the comments in threads where Sony was pulling out to protect their employees was just the worst. People were pointing out that at the time there weren't any cases in Boston when they canceled their PAX appearance. Afterwards we learned that there was a Biogen conference going on at the same time as PAX in Boston. A bunch of people there contracted it and for some time the majority of cases in Massachusetts was linked to that conference.
Yep. People need to take a look back at that thread again. It's ridiculous. And those people with a billion posts in it.... well, they sure are quiet now.

Buzzkiller_20

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Predator finished downloading earlier then expected. Once my laundry finishes I'm gonna give this game a go.

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
People really exposed themselves in that thread

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah that thread really represents the worst of era. Keeping your employees alive and in good health...

Yeah in fact, I'll say no more on that one.

😂
I'll say it again. If you need a nice long game these days, go and get Days Gone.

One of my favourite plats of this generation. Definitely a game to consider during these trying times.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
So is the consensus view that the most likely "big" PS5 launch title is Horizon 2?

I'm really hoping Ratchet & Clank somehow is there at launch. That game would ensure my launch day purchase.

I'd also love to see Gran Turismo 7 at launch or soon after, but when I learned they had tweaked hand animations in the cockpit view just recently I got a sinking feeling there is no chance of a PS5 version anytime soon when they're still fiddling with their PS4 game.

Buzzkiller_20

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Just played a round of Predator and there was no Predator. That shouldn't happen. The objectives are also super easy to complete. My first impressions are not good. Hopefully the second game goes better.

Buzzkiller_20

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished my second game of the Predator and it was much better this time since there was a Predator. It's an okay game. The graphics aren't great, but they're good enough. I haven't played as the Predator yet, but so far, the game is about a 6/10 for me. Also, I saw a lot of mentions about the game dropping frames and such, but i didn't really come across that. Just some light rubberbanding.

Buzzkiller_20

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
The game can go by fast. I kind of like that. I hope they can make getting into matches quicker, because waiting for 3 minutes is not fun. I do kind of feel like pre-ordering the game now though.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019

That's how these things work. One day you're a hero, the next day you're a zero.

I love how they handled the entire corona crisis though and I thought my employer handled it quite well and early on. I wouldn't be mad if my employer offered me $1000 instead of some flowers and chocolate :)

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Interesting whar he making next 🤔
Gavin Moore's work schedule since he joined SCEI in 2003.

Siren --> Siren 2 (PS2 gen)
Siren New Translation -- cancelled Russian retro sci-fi horror project --> Puppeteer (PS3 gen)

Between Siren New Translation and Puppeteer a new horror project was cancelled in 2010. Toyama and Moore split off into different teams. Moore got 14 guys for his core team. SCEI changed to SCE Japan Studio in 2005 was not resided in the same building where they are now which is significantly larger. Their old location was small for over 100 people at best. Their new location in Shinagawa gives them a whole building for themselves unlike previous location which was only a few floors in a rented building. They moved in to Shinagawa in March 2011. Since then they have resided this building and mass-recruited new staff over the years.

So basically, for 6 years Puppeteer team has been quiet. But when Puppeteer team was built they took 3 years to make Puppeteer from start to finish. 14 guys become 65 people at the end of production in 2012 who helped to produce the game did Moore said. But 6 years by doing nothing in the same building I don't believe that.

Something is cooking behind the scenes and I don't think it is a new IP. Since 2017 only one new IP for a regular game (non-VR) has been trademarked and is still unannounced. Both CIPO and USPTO have the trademark now for RaySpace. Even can be found on trademarkia.

For Moore's team they are working on an established IP that have been in the planning for a long time to figure out how to reboot the franchise. But it takes a lot of talents to pull this off. Having Iga and Shutaro Iida involved are not enough. I personally think Japan Studio has robbed some talents from From Software. The whole system around it needs a good lead programmer who has worked exclusively with PlayStation hardware who understand its strengths to maximize it.

Jun Ito who has been working on PlayStation hardware since Demon's Souls just worked on Dark Souls as lead programmer when Sony messed up but went back of being exclusive lead programmer for PlayStation projects since Bloodborne. After The Old Hunter he was lead programmer on Deracine.

Miyazaki said last year it's up to Sony to decide on Bloodborne 2. I remember a insider in 2015 who claimed a Action RPG project was in planning stage at Sony's greenlight table which was similar to Bloodborne we already know about. So it's probably what Sony decided on over Bloodborne 2. Producer Yamagiwa-san took also action in the decision making I think.

Yamagiwa and Miyazaki are two different persons. The other enjoys Victorian era and all the way back to 15th century while the other enjoys medieval and even longer way back than that. Elden Ring is very Miyazaki-like project.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Definitively not.... How's that a consensus? A potential Horizon 2 is a 2021 title at the earliest imo...
Because the other big titles like GoW, Spider-Man, Uncharted(?), GT and so on won't be there at launch. Demon's Souls, maybe Ratchet sequel and a new or dormant IP from Sony Japan. Unless they funded a game for launch which would also be a new IP, with Arrowhead and Housemarque being the candidates.

Deleted member 24417

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe I say this because of my love for Demon's Souls which is in my Top 5 All-Time but IMHO a great DeS reimagining could be considered a big title without any problem

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Sony will use all that DeS Remake revenue to fund Bloodborne 2. Bloodborne 2 announcment in 2022 or 2023. I feel it in my bones.

Status
Not open for further replies.