gamewhoopr

Dec 10, 2018
https://bsky.app/profile/matpiscatella.bsky.social/post/3l3iwrkv2uw2m

I'm posting this from my phone as I finish up work from my work laptop, so sorry for any formatting or embedding errors, but although Mat Piscatella (NPD/Circana) left Twitter/X, he did recently share some nice little sales crumbs for us, specifically that PlayStation Portal has sold to less than 3% of the total PS5 userbase in the U.S.

Of course, our sales-inclined friends at InstallBase (namely Welfare) have crunched some numbers from this tidbit, and estimate Sony's PlayStation Portal to have sold between 420,000 and 630,000 units since launch, specifically, from mid-November 2023 through July 2024.

Thoughts? Is this more than you expected? Less than you expected? Are streaming avenues and portable PCs such as this, the Logitech G Cloud, SteamDeck, ROG Ally, etc. destined to be niche? Is the Switch 2 still releasing too late?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they sold what they produced largely. Given the type of device this is (streaming only) I'm not sure there is much overlap with portable PCs or Switch.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Great piece of hardware, been using it on-the-go constantly every weekend when I'm away from home.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The Portal is a wonderful device, I love it. I also love that it could theoretically serve as a testbed for a future Sony handheld, should they opt to go down that road.

Most comfortable handheld I've ever used.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The majority of my playtime in ZZZ has been on the Portal, it's a really nice bit of kit.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
The success of this has really surprised me. Maybe there really is a market for a full Sony handheld?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Great hardware. I think lifetime prob see about 5-8% of users worldwide with it.

However I'm curious what happens this Christmas since it will be widely available for the first time. Vs the supply constraints.
The success of this has really surprised me. Maybe there really is a market for a full Sony handheld?
Only if it's not another thing to develop for and acts like an extension of PS only way I could see a full native handheld.

Instead I think this will be the full cloud device. Either have a cloud at home or use Sonys cloud.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Pretty cool. Makes me want to buy one. I thought you had to be connected to the same network.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Seems pretty good for something which can only be used as an accessory to a $400 console.

CenaToon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't put the world on fire for sure, but looks like it sells all that sony is manufacturing? even if it's not big sales, if it's selling everything that's going out the factory, then sony must be satisfied.

Hope this can evolve in the portable ps4 with remote play.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Those are niche product numbers, good for what they are, but not anywhere near big enough to justify the cost of a full Sony portable for the masses. Maybe they can do a "PSP Portable classic" that has a collection of ps1/ps2/psp titles on it for $150, but they're never doing a full stand alone portable with it's own ecosystem again.

Ryudo

Jun 19, 2024
I like mine, but I wish it worked a bit better. Even with a 6E mesh router and hardwiring the console, I get pretty noticeable latency which makes me want to use it less.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda wish they expanded its capabilities and allowed it to be streamed via PC.

Native_Vel

Jun 5, 2022
I had no idea you could use this anywhere. I thought it had to be on whatever the network the PS5 was on.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They are struggling to support their current console with a consistent flow of games in a timely manner. They failed to juggle the resources for Vita with PS4 and I doubt they would have much bandwidth for a dedicated handheld with the PS5 either.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I think people instinctively like the idea of getting a portable PlayStation that plays current console games, and the 200$ price tag is a big impulse buy-bait.
Both of these attractive points would very likely vanish with a full fledged PSP successor.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
I really like using it at home like a Wii U gamepad. My PS5 is hooked up to our main TV and I have played it more in the two months I've had the Portal than the 2 years I've had the system. I will say it's been choppy at best and unusable at worst on vacations outside of my home.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Great for those that wanted this, it isn't for me, it but this gets us to a PS4 BC portable I hope they sell even more…my PS4 digital live is huge and I'd love to take it on the go.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
That sounds good, like they're selling most of what they're producing unlike PSVR2.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen this thing around a lot lately, people really just love the comfort of playing it wherever I think.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
They are struggling to support their current console with a consistent flow of games in a timely manner. They failed to juggle the resources for Vita with PS4 and I doubt they would have much bandwidth for a dedicated handheld with the PS5 either.

I agree. It would need to be compatible with existing software. I'm still bitter about the Vita personally.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
I think that's a pretty good turnout tbh, I mean, we're talking worldwide sales that are likely tracking in line or ahead of their last dedicated portable? Seems like this could be a smart approach for them.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I own it. It's terrible, the worst streaming device I have under ideal conditions let alone over distance. Missing features that should be obvious for any dedicated streaming device...but I also don't hate that I purchased it? I like weird Sony devices like this and the Vita TV.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Good for Sony. I sincerely don't see the appeal at all but my brother has one and swears by it. I think it's something that appeals super strongly to a certain type of person, and we are just on opposite sides.

Toiletduck

Dec 10, 2017
Great device and I love mine. Just wish Sony would take the time and invest in improving the remote play software.

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
I bought it, regret doing so most of the time entirely due to pretty consistent technical hiccups I simply cannot resolve after trying countless troubleshooting steps (hitching/stuttering even on newish WiFi6 mesh network while sitting next to a node). I will admit it has been handy to use every now and then in bed or while my kids are on the big TV. It's just not great at anything that requires accuracy/low-latency (shooters for example) due to the technical issues.