J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hmm.

Being affected, my thoughts (from most prominent to least prominent):

1) if this is a hack, I hope my personal data is secure

2) Damn, Sony, on my first day off from work in 2.5 weeks?? You're my primary platform…

3) ok Xbox I'm now less mad about your recent change in policy on unlicensed controllers, we can talk again… still a little sour I spent $200 on an arcade stick, custom parts, and an adapter to use it on your console and bought the premium edition for SF6 all months ahead of your decision to make all of that look stupid but those PlayStation guys are having a meltdown right now and tossed me into the cold so whattup, assholes??

setsuna

Aug 16, 2023
This is pretty wild. Even if they do reverse it, it makes you think twice about dumping tons of money into a digital collection... at least on PC there are some DRM free games so you can archive them.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Buffalo chicken pizza? Can imagine that comes with issues on your end.
O7q0WwC.jpg

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
It's more about Sony being a shitty company in this instance. They should take a hint from more responsible storefront owners.

Honestly, revoking access from legitimately purchased games should be illegal, full stop. Regulate that shit.

100%. It should be illegal.

On topic: I'm scared to boot up my PS5 now. I hope all the folks affected get this sorted out ASAP.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Still reading recent cases of new bans but cases of unbans. It is really messed ip where people get unbanned but others are getting freshly banned.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
There should be global legislation that your digital accounts like these, with purchases etc. attached to them, can't be closed without a very clear explanation of the precise reason, and without a mandatory process customers can use to have the decision reviewed.

If this was some sort of error then crisis averted this time, but it lays bare how capricious these decisions can be whenever they want - with little recourse beyond appealing to the internet and hoping someone notices.

This.
We all jumped into the digital future without any protection against the corporations.
There is no SLA, no regulations, no rules for Sony. They can do whatever they want, it's just consumers who have to abide by the ToS.

Moreover, if shit goes sideways for Sony we as consumers get thrown a few crumbs (free copy of Knack 2) and have to be thankful. But you have to get lucky and get hit with a widespread issue.

So fucked up, good reminder to avoid digital games at all cost.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
It's more about Sony being a shitty company in this instance. They should take a hint from more responsible storefront owners.

Honestly, revoking access from legitimately purchased games should be illegal, full stop. Regulate that shit.
What are Xbox and Steam's policy regarding this?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I hate when people got happy watching GTAVI, others got slapped and killed their joy by this.
Same for those who hot happy with new chapter of Fortnite and they got banned yesterday.

L11ghtman

Jan 19, 2022
My similar situation has been discussed here a few times, Sony support turned of my 2FA to help a hacker, then Perma banned my day one PSN account when I tried to get it back.

Happy now with my move into the Xbox ecosystem
I have both PS5/XSX consoles now, but I also lost my OG PSN account to "suspicious activity" back in 2014 (it was me, setting up my own credit card info on my new PS4). Sort of a testament to how poorly the XB1 was received that I was still happier with my PS4. Then again there wasn't really any PS3 backward compatibility, and I was mostly on the 360 anyway before then. Anyway yeah you are not alone in getting screwed by Sony.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox also has the ability to brick your system and block you from accessing any online features, not sure if Steam has ever done this.

Bricking a machine or console banning is the most insane procedure any company can take. It is just bad for their names. Imagine your multithousand dollar PC being bricked for using third party tools in a game.

Last edited:

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Bricking a machine or console banning is the most insane procedure any company can take. It is just bad for their names. Imagine your multi dollar PC being bricked for using third party tools in a game.
I think there are some very extreme cases where something like that would not be so heinous, but generally speaking I agree it is wild.

overthewaves

Sep 30, 2020
Ok I'm not turning on my PS5 until tomorrow because of this lol. My account seems fine from the app though.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I think there are some very extreme cases where something like that would not be so heinous, but generally speaking I agree it is wild.

You know what? In cases like here banning an account hurts most cus you could replace a console and not the account and its data, games and unlocks. An account with many gales surely costs more than a console.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
You know what? In cases like here banning an account hurts most cus you could replace a console and not the account and its data, games and unlocks. An account with many gales surely costs more than a console.
Yes, I meant in terms of a full online ban of an account purchases and all. The only reason to brick a console, maybe serious criminal activity?

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
So, I'm banned and unbanned at the moment. The only way to find out the truth is by turning on my PS5, but I'm too scared to do so right now.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, didn't know it was suddenly widespread. Something happened. Hopefully Sony puts out a statement about what happened

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
There should be global legislation that your digital accounts like these, with purchases etc. attached to them, can't be closed without a very clear explanation of the precise reason, and without a mandatory process customers can use to have the decision reviewed.

If this was some sort of error then crisis averted this time, but it lays bare how capricious these decisions can be whenever they want - with little recourse beyond appealing to the internet and hoping someone notices.

This.
We all jumped into the digital future without any protection against the corporations.
There is no SLA, no regulations, no rules for Sony. They can do whatever they want, it's just consumers who have to abide by the ToS.

Moreover, if shit goes sideways for Sony we as consumers get thrown a few crumbs (free copy of Knack 2) and have to be thankful. But you have to get lucky and get hit with a widespread issue.

So fucked up, good reminder to avoid digital games at all cost.

I believe the EU has some rules in place. But anyways, knowing Sony, they will probably act like this never happened.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Reading the reports seems like it's a major fuck up by Sony. I'm sure this will get resolved, but sobering to think that your account can be banned/suspended just like that and there's nothing you can do. You lose everything.

Good news though; seems people on Reddit are able to log back in with no further issues.

If Sony is nice (lol) they should give store credit or a game voucher after fixing this. Shades of the PSN hack here.
Earlier this year there was an error on Sony's end that prevented you from being able to download games on ps3 and vita. I don't think Sony ever acknowledged it.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

On Xbox, if the account is banned you're unable to go online preventing you to re-download the games. However, if the Xbox you're using is set up as a home console, you can still play those games that are already installed, you just can't go online.

However in theory, if the console didn't get banned and it was just the account. You could use another account to download the games using the Xbox app (since it allows you to install any game without owning it) and play it since the license is still stored on that console. I had a friend who got banned back in 2015ish and he was still able to play his games offline, however back then he didn't have the option to download the games like we do now.

Major Nelson once said on an interview that people won't lose their games if they got banned, but that turned out to be false. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lMhjM9BK7M

Steam AFAIK you can still download and play your games after a ban, you just can't play multiplayer at all.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Hopefully this is resolved soon, but this really needs to prompt some action from regulators in terms of removing access to an -entire- library of legit purchased content at the whims of the provider. It is just ridiculous that you can have your access to potentially thousands of £'s worth of content just withdrawn like that

I understand all digital (and physical actually, but how can you retract a disc) content is merely a license to "rent" the content and we don't ever actually own any of it, but the ability to rescind access to your entire library? That needs to change. Content you have paid for should be accessible to you.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry OP went through this, along with others in the thread. I hope that it being widespread means it is resolved soon.

Even though I'm sure logging in doesn't trigger the issue, I might leave my PS5 off for a day or two until we know more, and stay away from the app. (Of all the things that could go wrong for finishing games on my list for Era's GotY, I did not have a widespread abrupt bans from Sony on my bingo card.)

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Valve stopped outright banning accounts more than a decade ago in favour of a restriction-based penalty system that allows users to continue accessing their library but revokes access to certain features depending on the particular infraction. E.g. A chargeback results in this (not my image):

DPOVrGy.jpeg

(Assuming nothing has changed, a restricted account = no purchasing, gifting, trading, key activation, or Steam Community access.)

The absolute worst case scenario is being unable to add to one's library (i.e. buy, activate, or redeem anything), access Steam Community at all, or play on VAC-secured servers.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Those millions of people logging in to Fortnite really did a number on not only the Epic servers, but Sony's too!

thematic

Fallen Guardian
Oct 31, 2017
can we change PSN Region? I'm using US PSN because in early PS3 days, US PSN was more complete in term of game library/DLCs

I bought PSN codes from Amazon without problem but case like this makes me want to change to my local PSN, at least I can complain without calling internationally

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
can we change PSN Region? I'm using US PSN because in early PS3 days, US PSN was more complete in term of game library/DLCs

I bought PSN codes from Amazon without problem but case like this makes me want to change to my local PSN, at least I can complain without calling internationally

Nope. I don't think we'll ever be allowed to change regions.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
op called me a son of a bitch via psn msg when I 360 no scoped on rust

I narc'd

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
Reading this is super scary to me and I hope it will be fixed fast for everyone affected. Luckily, I'm in the clear for now. PlayStation is my main gaming platform and I would be devastated if I were to lose everything on there just because a system decided that I breached ToS for no real reasons. Sony should get a proper arbitration system where you can appeal that decision with a real human being giving you the exact details of what happened.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I believe the EU has some rules in place. But anyways, knowing Sony, they will probably act like this never happened.

I am in EU and I don't doubt that you could potentially recoup some money in a case like this.
If the process isn't easy and free and you can't immediately prove that a ban was bogus, the effort vs reward ratio is so out of whack that almost nobody will bother.

IMO there need to be automatic penalties for platform holders, similar to train and plane delays.
For example: Every hour of unscheduled downtime = 1€ PSN credit. If it exceeds (let's say) 24hrs a year, each additional hour is 5€ etc.

That's kinda how it works in my job ( enterprise IT). Obviously apples and oranges but at the end of the day, PSN is a service and if I pay a fixed amount each month it just seems so wrong that they can just be down (or have fuckups).

Even if a PSN usercommits sth horrible it doesn't feel right that all his purchases are null and void.
Imagine you get caught stealing at MediaMarkt and they get to collect all your mediamarkt purchases from your house on top of a store ban.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
That's kinda how it works in my job ( enterprise IT)

the thing is, with business-to-business, you can hammer out those SLAs and fines (or even bonusses), and often because they're critical to business operations. But with B2C and in this case computer games, we're still talking about 'luxury entertainment products'. I'm all for strict legislation that will 'enforce' platform holders to compensate if consumers don't have access to their products/services; but I have a hard time fathoming how that exactly should work since its not just the platform itself. If a specific game's services are down; who is responsible and who should compensate? It would also need a significant increase in security because ddosing the whole thing for a bunch of hours would mean 'free money!' (altough i cant argue against better security ofcourse ;P)

Kazooie

Banned
Jul 17, 2019
My similar situation has been discussed here a few times, Sony support turned of my 2FA to help a hacker, then Perma banned my day one PSN account when I tried to get it back.

Happy now with my move into the Xbox ecosystem
It's crazy that they think they are allowed to do that. Sony really needs a lawsuit happening.

Tommi813

Jul 19, 2020
My account is unbanned now without calling customer service or So. no Mail or statement, just back to normal.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Ok if they unbanned some, why they didn't stop the source of the evil? People are still being banned. At least stop the bleeding.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
too bad :(
I did create account on local PSN but my games are all in US one

either I keep using US one or start using dual accounts now
(already PO'd FFVII Rebirth and still have $50 in my US PSN wallet)
I'm the same case as you, I just use 3 accounts now (asia - local, US & Europe). Asia to buy DLC for my asian region games, US being my main account for trophies and DLC as well, and Europe for FFXIV.