vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

AngWsd2.png

https://blog.us.playstation.com/202...ls-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/

ETaSXYBWkAEJczj.jpg

Lastly, we're excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.
  • PS5 BC with the PS4 is hardware-based
  • Sony tested the top 100 PS4 games (by playtime) and found that they should be ready for launch.
  • PS5 is too fast for certain titles though and cannot be handled due to their code which is why they need to be tested and tweaked individually to ensure they're playable but results have been "excellent".
From Cerny on the "Road to PS5" stream describing backwards compatability.

Last edited:

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, it's better than nothing but really poor compared to what I was hoping was the new standard.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
And knowing Sony the ongoing BC support (let alone enhancements for older games) will be terrible.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
For comparison, how does Microsoft handle this? It's also on a game-by-game basis right?

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This was not welcome news. Most of the games I play are not under the umbrella of "the 100 most popular titles." I'm worried my games won't be BC.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this is horrible news. How in the hell can Sony have not been prepared for this in this day and age? I have so, SO many games in my PS4 digital library.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Man what. MS is going to enhance games on a game-by-game basis and Sony is merely going to get them running.

Edit: Even just select titles being boosted is a bummer. They should have figured it out completely

Last edited:

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. This is disappointing.

So I won't be able to get rid of my PS4.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This fucking sucks. Guess I won't get a PS5 any time soon then. Probably just sell my Slim and get a Pro at this rate

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I guess PS5 just turns into a ps4 pro etc for the games........

Xbox are offering res upgrades and free HDR. Interesting different approaches.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
That's really disappointing.
Really wonder what will be the list of games, and why others can't be compatible.

PS1/2 emulation could be brute forced in most cases, outside of specific cases like Ace Combat.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Wait, did they confirm no PS1-3 bc or just not mention it? Maybe the idea is to use PSNow?

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that's a bummer. But if most of the top 100 games are almost ready for play instantly, that must mean a good chunk of the library would be alright. That's my optimistic speculation.

This is also extremely pale in comparison to Xbox Series X, which will apparently include playable games across all previous generations.